Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SubG posted:

The My Weight KD-8000 unless you need < 1 g accuracy.

And if you need < 1 g accuracy, just buy a small drug scale off Amazon. That's what I did and use it specifically mostly for weighing salt when baking.

I bought my KD-8000 in 2016 and I swear I think it's on the same set of batteries as when I got it. My wife has even left it on all day at times, and they're still trucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I would recommend something with 3-4 rivets or a welded joint, 2 rivets act like a hinge and allow the handle to rock loose over time

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NKUDRP2/

This.

Bought a cheap wok with 2 rivets from 99 Ranch and a year later it's wobbly as hell.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

The Midniter posted:

And if you need < 1 g accuracy, just buy a small drug scale off Amazon. That's what I did and use it specifically mostly for weighing salt when baking.

I bought my KD-8000 in 2016 and I swear I think it's on the same set of batteries as when I got it. My wife has even left it on all day at times, and they're still trucking.

Ditto on the drug scale. I don't think I've used it since the last time I did ramen noodles from scratch, but there you go.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Flashbacks to me measuring down to the tenths of a gram of quinine a goon sent me in the mail in a folded up sheet of paper, me flicking the paper to get every molecule out

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bird with big dick posted:

First bake in the new Anova, it works

Got a recipe for that handy? I have an APO that doesn't get enough love (well, I mean, it gets used pretty frequently, but I haven't done enough with it yet).

Anyway, reason I came to the thread is that I just got a portable induction burner and it turns out I only have one small-ish pot that works on it (well, and all the cast iron, of course). The immediate need is a medium-sized stockpot (current one we use a lot is 10.5" round, 5" tall, whatever that works out to in VolumeUnits). Based on the OP I was going to take a magnet to Goodwill and see if I couldn't find something reasonably priced, although the last several times I've been to the Goodwill around here I've been disappointed as gently caress by what was available (which is to say, nothing useful). Failing that, TJ Maxx and failing that, WalMart.

Is that still a good plan? Unless anyone has any tips on thrift shopping that would be worth slotting in between "Goodwill" and "TJ Maxx" priority order above. Sadly, I don't know gently caress all about looking for second-hand bargains but that's the kind of thing I'd really enjoy if anyone has any thoughts on a good place to start for that. (My only problem right now is that I don't have a lot of time to devote to that or, well, anything :( )

Another option might be this that was linked back a couple months ago:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vigor-6-5-qt-stainless-steel-stock-pot-with-aluminum-clad-bottom-and-cover/473SSPOT6.html

That one is probably only worth it if my buddy is able to let me borrow his free shipping (not sure how that works, I'll discuss with him tomorrow).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tom Tucker posted:

Does anyone have a Wok they would recommend? I'm hoping to do some asian-style stir fry and I've never done wok cooking before, so I don't imagine I'd jump right into top-of-the-line, but something that's a good value that still provides the main benefits woks provide. It'd be on a gas stove.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GISCDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.seriouseats.com/equipment-how-to-buy-a-wok-which-wok-is-the-best

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zarin posted:

Got a recipe for that handy? I have an APO that doesn't get enough love (well, I mean, it gets used pretty frequently, but I haven't done enough with it yet).

It's the King Arthur White Bread recipe. It's good and relatively easy and I like it because it uses all dry ingredients (except the butter ofc) so you don't need to have fresh milk or other fresh stuff on hand (which I never do).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bird with big dick posted:

It's the King Arthur White Bread recipe. It's good and relatively easy and I like it because it uses all dry ingredients (except the butter ofc) so you don't need to have fresh milk or other fresh stuff on hand (which I never do).

Much appreciated!

Did you use any steam setting, or leave it off to mimic a conventional oven?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Would boiling a saucepan of water and putting it in the oven turn it into a steam oven

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Would boiling a saucepan of water and putting it in the oven turn it into a steam oven

Before I started baking bread in cast iron, I would throw a handful of ice cubes in. Seemed to help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, ice in a hot oven safe pan seems to be the common suggestion.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Yup, ice in a hot oven safe pan seems to be the common suggestion.

I just always threw it on the bottom of the oven but a pan is probably better.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

The Junkification of Amazon

Pretty much describes my experience looking for some stainless steel mixing bowls a while back. Ended up getting some from somewhere else.

Feels like Amazon's way of dealing with their long-running counterfeit issues was just opening up the floodgates to any 3rd-party willing to pay them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr_Roke posted:

The Junkification of Amazon

Pretty much describes my experience looking for some stainless steel mixing bowls a while back. Ended up getting some from somewhere else.

Feels like Amazon's way of dealing with their long-running counterfeit issues was just opening up the floodgates to any 3rd-party willing to pay them.

Ugh this is the first mainstream article I’ve seen point out stuff I’ve been grumbling to myself about for about a decade

Weird all-caps brands with nonsense names

Humble household items with no brand recognition with thousands or tens of thousands of reviews

The reviews sounding sketchy

I’ve sold on Amazon before and after all their fees I’d be turning a 14% profit. A decade ago! I can’t imagine how much it’s gotten worse since then

I decided a few years ago to only buy name brand stuff on things as much as possible

I also installed the fakespotter plug-in on chrome to detect which items had sketchy reviews

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I'm trying to find some enameled (lead-free) kitchen-aid attachments and amazon is a complete dead-end of weird poo poo that you cannot verify. Like I don't even mean verification of lead content... I can't even verify that the product in the picture is the same thing described on the page is the same thing as what people are saying they got in the reviews.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Not very kitchen-related but I wanted a metal shower caddy from Amazon so I go on, buy one that is "made of steel," and I get... something painted steel color. I think everyone has to learn their lesson eventually that there's just some things you do not buy from Amazon.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Are there any plugins that offer finer filter setting for amazon? I've generally found the ratio of 5 star to 1 star reviews to be a better indicator of a product than the actual overall score but it's a PITA checking it manually every time

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 31, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I use fakespot, it assigns a letter grade to each item as you scroll Amazon

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
just check wirecutter, the kitchn, atk, spruce eats, and other sources where you can at least say it’s more likely than not that an actual human handled the product and wrote some copy about it. There’s nothing to be gained trying to sift through the mountain of garbage the algorithm serves up; if you don’t care then pick whatever replacement-level chinese trash floats up to meet your price range, and if you do care then ignore amazon’s recommendations entirely and find a better curated source, which will probably be happy to serve you an affiliate link anyway.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That is my approach as well, most of those sources plus Serious Eats and maybe a few others are the only things I look at. Maybe find a YouTube review that isn't an obvious placement to see the thing in action. At some point I learned to worry less about getting the "best" and just became willing to maybe pay a little extra to be less likely to get a stinker.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Honestly for most consumer products poo poo I want to buy, including kitchen gadgets, I chance a search on these very forums to see what the goon hivemind came up with

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Speaking of obvious placement, is Made In stuff any good?

I've seen several YouTubers go on about it but I wonder how it stacks up against All Clad or others.

I really want to like their griddle, even though I'm not in the market for one at the moment :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I want to like them but I have an irrational hatred for that name

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Steve Yun posted:

I want to like them but I have an irrational hatred for that name

This is also a reasonable position.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Zarin posted:

Speaking of obvious placement, is Made In stuff any good?

I've seen several YouTubers go on about it but I wonder how it stacks up against All Clad or others.

I really want to like their griddle, even though I'm not in the market for one at the moment :v:

I can't speak to value compared to other brands very well, but I have a few pieces from Made In that I like a lot: Carbon Steel Wok, Comal, Paella, 10" fry pan and a 6qt Rondeau. I also have a 3 piece set of their bakeware. All of these are built incredibly solid and have been great to use.

That said, I live in Austin and have been to their two warehouse sales and cleaned up. All of those pieces were anywhere from 30-60% off MSRP.

I got the griddle as a gift for someone and it's very nice but doesn't perform any better than something like a Lodge griddle. It does look incredibly nice though and doubles as a great serving platter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Watching this guy cooking mushrooms…

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7193048597188103470

What did he say? Induction wok?!

https://www.amazon.com/Induction-14-inch-tempered-precision-temperature/dp/B077GL6BJY/

Hmm!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Why would you buy a wok like this, when you could buy an 8kW induction wok instead?

mystes
May 31, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Why would you buy a wok like this, when you could buy an 8kW induction wok instead?
I don't want to know this exists. I need to not buy more cooking stuff.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

mystes posted:

I don't want to know this exists. I need to not buy more cooking stuff.

And an electrician if you don't have a 220V 50A circuit in your kitchen.

Still, that's alluring and potentially amazing but I shudder at how much it'll cost.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I hope this is the right thread for this.

What's the right soda maker to get? I'm willing to do light modding to give it a bigger air tank.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bigger air tank won't do anything to address the main issue: consumer options top out at 15 psi which falls well short of every carbonated beverage you've ever drank. I recommend the SE or Dave Arnold DIY rig, works great for me and it's much cheaper than modding a soda stream.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Edward IV posted:

And an electrician if you don't have a 220V 50A circuit in your kitchen.

Still, that's alluring and potentially amazing but I shudder at how much it'll cost.

It doesn't need 50A. Because it attaches to 400V three phase.
And it is priced for institutional kitchens.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

It doesn't need 50A. Because it attaches to 400V three phase.
And it is priced for institutional kitchens.

Oh okay. I was thinking this could be something that could be used in a home setting where single-phase 240V is the most you can get in the US.

I did find one that'll run on 220V 50/60(?) Hz but clearly this wasn't designed for American homes in mind and I don't know how much it can tolerate higher voltages.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/8kw-Heavy-Duty-220v-Portable-Timer_1600576841936.html

Also found a bunch that have a built-in water faucet, water pot, and drain like a professional kitchen but those need 3-phase 380V since it's obviously meant to be used in a commercial setting.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 2, 2023

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FWIW most stuff designed for 220V will run just fine on 240V. There's usually a buck-boost converter that will modulate reasonably close voltages to what it needs; all utility voltages run high or sag time-to-time, so most power supplies need to do this in some way. I'd be pretty concerned if you live near a power plant, in which case your voltage will often run high - the further away you get from the design range, the faster your electronics will burn themselves out. There can also be issues with using line-to-line voltage rather than line-to-neutral but that's kind of dependent on what's going on in your house and on the local grid

Cheap equipment will have weak or no electrical protection and will burn themselves out in fairly short order. 100% make sure that it has a 60Hz setting if you're importing, or there'll be myriad problems, especially if there are motor parts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

El Fideo posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this.

What's the right soda maker to get? I'm willing to do light modding to give it a bigger air tank.

Yeah get a DIY setup, it’s like $200 up front but then it’s pennies per liter for the rest of your life and you can carbonate soda to be mouthburningly bubbly

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

if you’re not willing to run a phase generator at your house you obviously don’t care about wok hei and I don’t even know what you’re doing in this thread tbh

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

A gently used sodastream off the facebook marketplace it is then, thanks very much.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

El Fideo posted:

A gently used sodastream off the facebook marketplace it is then, thanks very much.

Lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7196046328873618734

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

So I am here to humbly request aid in my search for a new perfect stovetop set.
Since nobody else was biting, I looked at this for a purchase but unfortunately realized it's missing the mark on one of the more important bits. The saute pan's lid doesn't have a strainer in it and honestly that's where I need the strainer lid the most.

Any other solutions available?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 4, 2023