Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’m gonna be honest, I don’t understand TCGs on a fundamental level. I play video games exactly because I can see my little man beat up stuff instead of some lame picture, that is in fact the entire point!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i simply buy good games and not play them

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

exquisite tea posted:

I’m gonna be honest, I don’t understand TCGs on a fundamental level. I play video games exactly because I can see my little man beat up stuff instead of some lame picture, that is in fact the entire point!!

What if your little man was a picture?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There is no chance in hell I will ever play this game but look at this game full of absolutely ghastly nightmares for anyone with thalassophobia

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256917685/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1669227119
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338840/Death_in_the_Water_2/

Plot spoilers: Death is a giant kraken with mind-control powers that is both stalking you through the ocean and mind-controlling sirens and sealife into attacking you

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 31, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

deep dish peat moss posted:

There is no chance in hell I will ever play this game but look at this game full of absolutely ghastly nightmares for anyone with thalassophobia

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256917685/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1669227119
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338840/Death_in_the_Water_2/

Plot spoilers: Death is a giant kraken with mind-control powers that is both stalking you through the ocean and mind-controlling sirens and sealife into attacking you

quote:

wave-based shooter

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Propaganda Hour posted:

What if your little man was a picture?

This kind of thinking gets lots of dudes into trouble.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ymgve posted:

Every time someone mentions Syndicate 2012 I have to rock out a bit to this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B82l5Mk4bg

How come EA Games erased this title from the face of the earth?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I said come in! posted:

Nfi

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

No official explanation. I think they also tried delisting the classic Syndicates from GOG around that time as well, but the collective internet screamed them into an embarassing about-face.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

GhostDog posted:

Most of the 30-60 minutes games in my library are actually good games that I bought because they came so highly recommended, only to realize that nope, Inscryption will not make me like a card game and Hades will not make me like a roguelike hack-and-slash(?). Also quite a few classics that I bought just to have them.

Similar here. I need to be better at valuing my own preferences and time, because nothing about Hades or Hollow Knight managed to convince me those games were for me even after I played them.

Inscryption and Outer Wilds are two big ones for me every time there's a sale on. I can almost guarantee I won't like either, but the reception to them is so positive it's tricky to ignore them at discount.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

chglcu posted:

You know you can quit when a game stops being fun, right? My average completion is 16% and that seems really high, so I’m questioning how they calculate it. I drop most games in less than 30 minutes these days, since so many are absolute dogshit.

Mine is 40% and I still feel I am pretty wasteful with games and I 100% will quit a title if it didn't scratch anything for me in its opening hours.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bumhead posted:

Similar here. I need to be better at valuing my own preferences and time, because nothing about Hades or Hollow Knight managed to convince me those games were for me even after I played them.

Inscryption and Outer Wilds are two big ones for me every time there's a sale on. I can almost guarantee I won't like either, but the reception to them is so positive it's tricky to ignore them at discount.

i felt the same way about it but outer wilds is worth trying just because it does something literally no other game does and you'll know if you're hooked within the first 20 minutes. while inscryption's pretty good but it doesn't do anything all that remarkable it's just a fun game that plays around with its own ideas.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The 7th Guest posted:

stux and I are the only people who will care about this but i have to post it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLurAhsqXWc

yume nikki esque first person adventure adaptation of a popular surrealist Youtube cartoon
I also care about this.

Please include me in any future list of people who care about this.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ShadowMar posted:

i simply buy good games and not play them

:hmmyes:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Syndicate 2012 makes me sad because Syndicate Wars is one of my all time favourite games and probably the oldest game I still replay every few years.
I still barely understand why Syndicate 2012 was banned in Australia.
The offical reason was
"combatants can take locational damage an can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated, or bisected by the force of the gunfire. The depictions are accompanied by copious bloodspray and injuries are shown realistically and with detail. Flesh and bone are often exposed while arterial sprays of blood continue to spurt from wounds at regular intervals."
But this was the same year as Borderlands 2, The Darkness 2 and the Doom 3 remaster so like always it was just the board huffing their own farts.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A high Avg. Game Completion Rate is next to godliness.

90 perfect games :psyduck: Even on Playstation where I am more prone to trophy hunting than on Steam, I only have 11 platinums

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A high Avg. Game Completion Rate is next to godliness.

magnificent. now this is a gamer who knows what they want

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i recently finished northern journey and it's a rare treat. absolutely incredible adventure/FPS/walking sim/horror/metroidvania/etc. game. it creates a really evocative and cohesive world centred around scandi mythology, despite being pretty loving out there, or rather it's fully in line with how actually loving out there most scandi myths are, with some very unexpected, funny and memorable events. some janky ugly graphics and some text on the screen is all this game needs to do more to get you invested than a cutscene worked on by 100 people with paid hollywood voice actors. you never have any idea where the story is going next or what you're about to do but it all fits together into this compelling fantasy story that's equal parts about mythology and faith and community as it is about human ingenuity and its daredevil attitude towards the unknown. i'd hate to spoil anything about it, honestly, since that's half the fun of the game. but the dev is one of those people who seems to have realised that you can make your video game do anything so why just stick with boring stuff? the complete lack of information about this game online also definitely helps give the game a sense of mystery. it's one of those you want to keep playing to see what happens.

some of the steam reviews called it skyrim on acid and that's not inaccurate on a surface level but it's got so much more going for it besides just being a richer and better version of a scandi fantasy game.

it's also very pretty. i know i said it's ugly and it kinda is but you spend a lot of your time wandering and ziplining through norwegian mountains and hills and swamps and caves and it's a really pretty game. on some of the maps you'll start on the ground gradually making your way higher and higher, on some you'll delve far into the underground before coming back up. you unlock new means of transportation as you go on and ziplining across the landscape you just struggled through is, as in all games, a lovely feeling.

oh, and the combat. lol, the combat. this is probably where the game's going to lose people. if i was in a kind mood i'd say the combat is charmingly janky, if i wasn't i'd say it was pretty dogshit. other than boss fights you spend all your time fighting these incredibly unpleasant insects, arachnids, whatever ticks are, basically the whole game is crawling with giant bugs and they're really annoying to fight. some of them fly, some of them hide in the grass (and when they attack they attach themselves to your camera and take up like 50% of the screen for a few seconds while they suck your blood). and there are so many of them in the game (there's at least half a dozen kinds of spiders lmao). and they make insanely hideous crawling/flying/skittering bug noises, which is good, because it warns you that something is coming.

and yet. i still pushed through. i mostly have zero tolerance for stuff in games that i don't enjoy but i think northern journey gets away with it in my brain for a few reasons. 1) the game is made by a single dev so i'm much more forgiving of all weird decisions, and because it has such a clear vision throughout it's definitely part of the intended experience 2) because the enemies are so unpleasant to fight, you really appreciate all of the increasingly mechanically complicated weapons you get to fight them, reinforcing the thematic content of human ingenuity and conquering nature 3) going through areas you've cleared is great 4) since most of your weapons are affected by gravity and the insects move in a very insect-like way, becoming better at fighting them takes some amount of skill and it's very satisfying to line up three perfect shots in a row 5) it makes the game feel grounded, which is important when the game goes so out there in so many other ways 6) it leads to some moments of profound terror.

i did play it on the deck which made it a lot harder to aim. and it's possible i am huffing some pure strain copium wrt the combat because i loved the game so much.

anyway it's incredibly good. play if you enjoy video games.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 31, 2023

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

ymgve posted:

Every time someone mentions Syndicate 2012 I have to rock out a bit to this track

I've been playing a lot of Hatsune Miku Mega Mix + recently and this could fit right in, that's awesome.

This is completely unrelated, but Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk direct sequel Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society is coming out on February 14!

I had no idea this existed, but had a lot of fun with the original on Switch. The story is completely batshit and gets very dark, which really clashes with the cartoony style that NIS/Disgaea games all seem to have, but the dungeon crawling held up pretty much throughout. Reviews of Labyrinth of Refrain on Steam suggest there are some game-breaking bugs that hinder the experience; has anyone here tried it out? It's on sale for CAD ~$20 with all the DLC and I'm thinking of getting it and push through to the post game content that I never did.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
I played Labyrinth of Refrain on Steam about a year and a half ago and didn't run into any crashes or game-breaking bugs.
I didn't do much of the post-game though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It fell into a interest black hole except for weirdos like me who played its co-op mode too much and no one else cares.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is Labyrinth of Refrain that one dungeon crawler where one of the bosses crushes you with her breasts?

Belan
May 7, 2007

ymgve posted:

Here's the full version of that song.

https://soundcloud.com/teetow/syndicate-aspari-extraction

The one in the game is an unfinished version that was never supposed to be in the final game.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Is Labyrinth of Refrain that one dungeon crawler where one of the bosses crushes you with her breasts?

I don't remember that in particular but yes it does get pretty horny sometimes.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I played Labyrinth of Refrain when if first came out and ran into a 100% reproducible crash that stopped my progress a few hours in. No idea if that’s been fixed since then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Trucker Hat posted:

I don't remember that in particular but yes it does get pretty horny sometimes.

https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/1042181130735247364

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my avg game completion rate on steam is 41% while my SteamCompletionist is 72%, which tells you mostly that i beat a ton of games but don't particularly care if I 100% them or not

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Yeah okay that is jogging my memory lol

One of the eight (nine with postgame) dungeons is themed around horniness, some of the enemies around there are too much. Also the story involves a bunch of sexual trauma and self harm and it gets real uncomfortable. I didn't walk away from it thinking it was handled badly, but maybe I'm just an idiot.

The exploration and the fighting/party mechanics were pretty interesting to me. The story was trying really hard to be memorable but I just couldn't say it worked for me.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack Trades posted:

And here I thought you were just thinking of Momodora, which I feel spawned a lot of similar boob-based bosses:

I also thought you might've meant the Hakoniwa Explorer Plus, which has a lot of bosses that crush you with their, uh, assets.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Surprisingly, Labyrinth of Refrain is on the less-horny end of the spectrum of Wizardry Clone dungeon crawlers. It mostly uses the horniness as a theme rather than as fanservice like many games in the genre do.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Trickyblackjack posted:

Very cool, I loved Miasmata. I was always sad that it's more involved brand of open world exploration never caught on.

Me too -- and I wishlisted the game mentioned above -- but I wonder how much of my Miasmata-appreciation depended on its vibe on top of the bare mechanics. Like, it was neat/horrifying to see how easy it was to get lost when hiking around through a wood (something that could actually happen to me IRL), or the consequences of doing so without a supply of drinkable water. Also the presentation of situations like "rain rolling in while the day is still sunny... standing on a beach with the jungle behind you, looking across a small lagoon at a vine-obscured statue on the opposite shore."

A more abstracted orienteering puzzle game probably won't have the same punch. Still very interested to keep an eye on it tho.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Labyrinth of Refrain is a very weird game, the tone is all over the place but the gameplay is pretty solid. Lots of fun exploration mechanics, and weird little exploits in the combat (as is usual for NIS games).

As an example: every party member you create (they're like wooden dolls animated with magic) has you set a "lucky number" between 1 and 999. Deep in the game, you find out that there is a very powerful pact that can only be used by characters with an even lucky number. There's a ton of weird min/max stuff like that, it's about figuring out the ways to break the system more than just playing it straight.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FutureCop posted:

And here I thought you were just thinking of Momodora, which I feel spawned a lot of similar boob-based bosses:

I also thought you might've meant the Hakoniwa Explorer Plus, which has a lot of bosses that crush you with their, uh, assets.

Go on...I'm taking notes.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
There's a lot more of that stuff in Galleria, including plenty of solar plexus punching in the writing for some reason, but mechanically it's probably my favourite game in the genre. If you're going to play it, try and avoid anything like spoilers because it does stuff with the game structure that took me by surprise and it doesn't really kick in for a while.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is there any way to write a review after clicking the thumbs up? I always assumed you had to leave a written review to submit a rating at all so I never figured out that, no, you can just hit the thumbs up. And for some games I enjoy I feel they've earned a few words

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Is...is that a turd on her shoulder...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there any way to write a review after clicking the thumbs up? I always assumed you had to leave a written review to submit a rating at all so I never figured out that, no, you can just hit the thumbs up. And for some games I enjoy I feel they've earned a few words

I thought you had to write words to submit a rating at all? In the past when I tried to thumbs up a game with no review it wouldn’t let me.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

This is exactly the kind of game I want (raised on Wizardry) but not like this...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Don't kinkshame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PantsBandit posted:

Do you want it to be? I mean, is that your thing? NIS don't judge, they'll take care of you. Just let them know.