Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gariig posted:

Is there a utility to see what files in a directory will have paths that are too long if copied to a different directory in Win10? I had to grab some archived files and some files when copied to the directory I want them will have paths that are too long. However, Windows Explorer only gave me the file name and the file is common over lots of directories so just looking for the file isn't viable. I ended up copying the files to "C:\a\" which was short enough but not a long term solution

This site seems to suggest there's a registry setting https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-fix-filename-is-too-long-issue-in-windows/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Pharnakes posted:

Thank you, that's definitely an improvement. Anyway to be able to put it on a secondary monitor though?
No idea I used open shell until windows 11 then I quit using those.

Strong Sauce posted:

so my main hd with my os on it is mbr. i want to back it up because i have some files on the main drive that i want to transfer over.

since i'm really just keeping it for those files and not to restore my old OS... i'm about to just do a straight copy over to the new HD. is there any reason i shouldn't just do that?
That's what I do, if it's basically media files it shouldn't need credentials or permissions or anything, not sure if your drive is encrypted.

I used to use terracopy or something like that to drastically improve on windows multi file copy times, some 3rd party utilities used to reduce the amount of time for multi thousand file copies by like 80% somehow.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

so my main hd with my os on it is mbr. i want to back it up because i have some files on the main drive that i want to transfer over.

since i'm really just keeping it for those files and not to restore my old OS... i'm about to just do a straight copy over to the new HD. is there any reason i shouldn't just do that?

Use https://fastcopy.jp/ and enable verify for ease of mind.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I remember w/ Windows 10 there were scripts to block the Telemetry. Are there equivalent scripts for Windows 11?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

I remember w/ Windows 10 there were scripts to block the Telemetry. Are there equivalent scripts for Windows 11?

Install Linux.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

MikusR posted:

Install Linux.

i have a sneaking suspicion they might have already thought of that and decided they needed windows anyway

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Strong Sauce posted:

Go into to settings > time and language > region, and select "country or region" to "China".

They collect less on China for "reasons"...

BONUS: Even that ugly rear end settings banner is gone on your Settings window! Score!!!

One of the ways Microsoft bends for China apparently, lol.

(No idea of any long term side effects, I doubt it though.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Im_Special posted:

Go into to settings > time and language > region, and select "country or region" to "China".

They collect less on China for "reasons"...

BONUS: Even that ugly rear end settings banner is gone on your Settings window! Score!!!

One of the ways Microsoft bends for China apparently, lol.

(No idea of any long term side effects, I doubt it though.)

They probably just tunnel all your traffic through a CCP proxy when you do that

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Strong Sauce posted:

I haven't touched Windows 11 because it's hot garbage, but it looks like O&O ShutUp! 10 now works on 11 as well.
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Has the Diagnostics & Feedback part of the control panel been removed in 11?

Most of the telemetry stuff can be turned off there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fruits of the sea posted:

Has the Diagnostics & Feedback part of the control panel been removed in 11?

Most of the telemetry stuff can be turned off there.

The standard options accessible via Settings / control panel now only have "Optional" (aka more telemetry, the default) and "Required" (what used to be Basic). Turning it off entirely isn't an option there.

However, it *is* an option in Group Policy editor, in Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Data Collection -> Allow Diagnostic Data.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so...

1. couldnt even install windows 11 because i don't have TPM 2.. apparently my motherboard only supports 1.2
2. installed windows 10 eventually but it has the boot partition allocated after the main partition so i spent way too long trying to figure out how to move partitions only to find out one of the recover.wim files i was suppose to have didn't install.
3. people who kept telling me to do a clean install of windows never mentioned that they won't let you activate your old windows 7 key with a clean install so now i have to find another usb key to format to put a win7 iso so i could upgrade from that. (edit: i actually don't know if this will work, just what i read on superusers.. so hope it works)

i regret trying to update. updating is for chumps.

HalloKitty posted:

I haven't touched Windows 11 because it's hot garbage, but it looks like O&O ShutUp! 10 now works on 11 as well.
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
ill try this out once i get on win 10.. i saw some scripts on github as well that i'll probably try.

MikusR posted:

Install Linux.
linux no gaems

edit: "why is there a person on the train in my search bar? oh its for a bing article about rosa parks. of course"

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 4, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Strong Sauce posted:

3. people who kept telling me to do a clean install of windows never mentioned that they won't let you activate your old windows 7 key with a clean install

It definitely does, I've done a 10 install in the last month using a 7 key.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TPM 1.2 to 2.0 update should be something you can get from your PC manufacturer or whoever made the motherboard.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thanks Ants posted:

TPM 1.2 to 2.0 update should be something you can get from your PC manufacturer or whoever made the motherboard.

Depends on the age. My five-year old laptop was not upgradeable, for example.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

It definitely does, I've done a 10 install in the last month using a 7 key.

Yeah same - I think I've even used the OEM windows 7 key from the sticker and had that work fine.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Ynglaur posted:

Depends on the age. My five-year old laptop was not upgradeable, for example.

Manufacturers might not have bothered releasing updates for laptops which also don’t have supported cpus… no point upgrading the TPM if the cpu is still below spec anyways

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is MakeMKV still the go to for ripping DVDs?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Medullah posted:

Is MakeMKV still the go to for ripping DVDs?

Yea, I actually shelled out the money for it recently because it works so well with DVDs and Blu-Rays

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's only free while it's in Beta.

It's been in beta for 13 years this month!

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Yea, I actually shelled out the money for it recently because it works so well with DVDs and Blu-Rays

Same, but now with the 4k blu-rays too. I must have been using those beta keys for years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My drive apparently supports a firmware downgrade to allow 4K rips, but I’m too scared to do it lol

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Last Chance posted:

My drive apparently supports a firmware downgrade to allow 4K rips, but I’m too scared to do it lol

Do it, what else are you going to use it for?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Could anyone please recommend a good port scanner that won't require me to putz around with cmd? Basically to help me identify open ports and what applications are using them. My system is running Win10, in case that makes a difference.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Advanced Port Scanner

[Edit: oh you mean your own system, one PC? Never heard thar called a port scanner. The command line tools are worth learning in this case. It's not overly complex, you got this.]

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Trabant posted:

Could anyone please recommend a good port scanner that won't require me to putz around with cmd? Basically to help me identify open ports and what applications are using them. My system is running Win10, in case that makes a difference.
Do you want to scan your PC as seen from the internet?
ShieldsUP! might be what you are looking for: http://www.grc.com/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Trabant posted:

Built in resource monitor -> network tab -> listening ports

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Internet Explorer posted:

Advanced Port Scanner

[Edit: oh you mean your own system, one PC? Never heard thar called a port scanner. The command line tools are worth learning in this case. It's not overly complex, you got this.]

But I'm laaaaazy

Fart of Presto posted:

Do you want to scan your PC as seen from the internet?
ShieldsUP! might be what you are looking for: http://www.grc.com/

Yes -- I have one torrent client acting up and another acting fine, so I want to run some tests w/ different ports. I'll see if this does the job.

MikusR posted:

Hmm, this might do the trick too.

Thanks all!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

Elevated prompt: netstat -anb

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What should I be using as a PDF reader? I'd be fine with Adobe garbage if it would open up in reading mode and hide all the sidebar poo poo until I ask for it. Sumatra has good rendering but a terrible UI. Last I heard Foxit was full of spyware and bloat these days. What is left?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use my web browser for pdfs, not a lot of features but not a lot of interference either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edge? Although MS are putting the Adobe PDF engine into that soon so I expect new vectors for RCEs to come about as a result of that.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I use the free version of PDF-XChange Editor because I regularly have to do searches in a few relatively large files and it's the fastest out of the viewers I've tried.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Just wanted to jump back in and thank the people again who suggested Macrium Reflect to clone my Father-in-Law’s drive a couple of weeks back. Just made the visit braced for it to be an overnight job cloning an (admittedly not very full) 1tb drive, and it was done in 12 minutes.

Froist fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 10, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its a beautiful piece of software. Clean install is the way 99% of the time but when you just cant be hosed to reinstall poo poo or theres something unique you likewise dont want to gently caress with, its wonderful. Especially seeing 90% of people do. not. remember their saved passwords for anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’d like it if that functionality was an OS feature at some point.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Cool Dad posted:

What should I be using as a PDF reader? I'd be fine with Adobe garbage if it would open up in reading mode and hide all the sidebar poo poo until I ask for it. Sumatra has good rendering but a terrible UI. Last I heard Foxit was full of spyware and bloat these days. What is left?

Sumatra has a... barebones UI? How often are you really doing much else than scrolling and panning around a PDF though?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Sumatra has a... barebones UI? How often are you really doing much else than scrolling and panning around a PDF though?

This is what I use and it's fine for 90% of the time reading a scanned document and 10% of the time scrolling through a comic I downloaded.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MikusR posted:

I somehow missed that this existed. Cool! Thanks for pointing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

I use my web browser for pdfs, not a lot of features but not a lot of interference either.

Same. I think I use Edge if I need to actually fill in a pdf form, but it's been so long since I had to do that I'm not certain.