Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

mutata posted:

I do not think Hi Fi Rush is showing that at all, and there are many other factors at play. The original tweet is reductive and hyperbolic, but I'm obviously in the minority (again) on this one so nevermind!

Da expensive game sucks rear end, and the cheap game is win. Q.E.D. simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo battle royale remains a loving terrible idea

Khanstant posted:

i tried dead space on someones xbox when it first came out and it didn't seem very good, like they were teasing me with a system shock but it was just gears of war with stomping and jump scares

I'm curious which part of it reminded you of Gears

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My mom hates Dead Space 2

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think focusing on multiplayer is not a bad idea for Halo the problem is launching a "live service" multiplayer game and going like a year without significant updates or features.

I agree with this. They were expecting to be able to do CoD warzone when they should have tried to do fortnite. Plus the cosmetics were bad and the grind was bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm curious which part of it reminded you of Gears

i think the fact the playable character is very sluggish and heavy, lumbering to control, combined with the kinda awkward third person shooting monsters coming out of weird places. credit where credit is due, doing FEAR wall nailing or fruit ninja slice poo poo is always fun and it was fun in Dead Space.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Infinite is really sad because there is clearly the skeleton of a perfectly good online shooter there but they launched it with zero support as a "live service" game and lol.

What were people missing? I tried it at launch and my feeling was "yup, this is halo, again." I guess you could make your army man look like a clown or whatever now but I think they already started adding that goofy stuff in 2.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

I mean the same publisher that set Hi-Fi's price, said that their big games will have to be $70 going forward. I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from one smaller game making money at a lower price point.
The conclusion is only that a smaller game can make that level of money at a lower price point. The proof is right there: it happened. It doesn't feel like a rare indie breakthrough like Hollow Knight or a viral flash-in-the-pan like Vampire Survivors, but a genuine "run-of-the-mill" success based on nothing more than having a good game at a price point that people are willing to pay. I definitely didn't mean they were trying to make that point, but it still proves the point nonetheless. I would be surprised if any of the higher-ups actually thought it would be a big sales hit given that it was clearly designed as Game Pass fodder.

edit: more clearly, the point isn't that The Last Of Us needs to be cheaper, it's that not every major studio needs to be cranking out The Last Of Us to stay relevant and competitive.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 31, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

i think the fact the playable character is very sluggish and heavy, lumbering to control, combined with the kinda awkward third person shooting monsters coming out of weird places. credit where credit is due, doing FEAR wall nailing or fruit ninja slice poo poo is always fun and it was fun in Dead Space.

What were people missing? I tried it at launch and my feeling was "yup, this is halo, again." I guess you could make your army man look like a clown or whatever now but I think they already started adding that goofy stuff in 2.

Ah I can see that, the main thing I think of with Gears is the cover shooter part lmao

Halo Infinite was missing maps, game modes, co-op, weapons, stable connections to games, paint options for your shootmans, etc. It launched as a beta and the difference between beta and going live was nothing. Then they just never followed up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Even those 60-70 dollar best selling games are small beans compared to what even mediocre dark pattern programs can pull in. Elden Ring was best selling good ol' fashioned buy-it-and-get-it games in a while but even it would've made more money by becoming a much worse game and parceling itself out and adding gambling and all it's bad influence friends. Elden Ring Impact

edit: Ah, yeah I played Halo Infinite for a few hours but never saw Blood Gulch which is the closest thing I have to an emotional attachment to the series, that was a fun level to try and park the tank in a cave on.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

galenanorth posted:

I've been working on customizing my Playnite installation with additional features (e.g. filter by button prompts/DualShock 4 support, whether there's haptic feedback and whether XInput is required for it, screenshots for games that are old enough you can't see the graphics on the cover art, four tiers of system requirements) to an absurd degree. I also added bookmarks (mostly with no installation data) for all the games I liked that I could find up-front so that I can filter by all the categories and tags I added

https://imgur.com/a/Y6VfE7i

I made a readme file to keep track of all the features I added: https://pastebin.com/nuUkQtUP

Maybe I could release it as a distribution under some name like Frostbite

This is neat, and I'm going to try it out.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

drat so the Dead Space remake is good?

Also I'd be tempted to buy HFR if I didn't have such a big recent backlog.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Extremely good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh Hogwart Legacy is good?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh are reviews out?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ive really been enjoying hi-fi rush a little at a time, just a level or so. I'm being a metronome the entire time and you hear a lot of the same riffs and beats, so it's nice to have a "listen" and then move on for the day so it doesn't feel repetitive or routine. It does make trying to play another third person fighter a bit awkward. Been bouncing between Kena and Monster Hunter Rise after HiFi Rush and the buttons between the games are all swapped with their own timings and rhythms. maybe i should try hunting horn or they should make a monster hunter rhythm fighter too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hatty posted:

Oh are reviews out?

It's #3 in that image!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Huh Hogwart Legacy is good?

is a game with this popular of an IP, that's already a best-seller sight unseen, ever going to get anything less than good marks in the pre-release/launch AAA review cycle? I think the floor for ratings is 8 if the game actively causes your hardware to catch fire

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh yeah it’s gonna sell a lot no matter how many forums ban discussion of it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it already sold a lot but i'm saying the nature of launch day reviews does not allow for a negative critical reception no matter how flawed or broken the game is. even the latest star of broken AAA games got glowing reviews at launch and it didn't even have an IP as behemoth as HP to back it up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

Oh are reviews out?

For Hogwarts Legacy? No, but gaming site previews have been extremely positive on the game. They have all been playing the full release of the game for a week or so at this point.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Digital preorders are cringe

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I preordered Marvel Midnight Suns Legendary Edition digitally and it was a fantastic decision. Still a heck of a gamble though. Don't preorder unless you have a REALLY good feeling (and even then, think it over).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

legendary...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i give hogwarts 0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hogfarts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hairy Pooper

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Do not buy pre-orders.

Do buy goku skins in your favorite shooter.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

This is neat, and I'm going to try it out.

ty, I'm thinking I should wait to release it until a few months after I stop thinking of improvements. I've also got to do some fixes, like currently the screenshots require that Playnite be installed in the same place I've installed it (on B:\Program Files\), and there may be a way to make it not care about where Playnite is installed using Windows variables or something

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jay Rust posted:

*Hides STALKER 2 and RE4R preorders*

Yeah really cringe haha

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

Do not buy pre-orders.

Do buy goku skins in your favorite shooter.

What if the pre-order is a goku skin in my favorite shooter?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Doctor said my hog warts should clear up in a week or two.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-nintendo-sony-skipping-e3-2023

All three console makers are going to be skipping E3 2023's big return to being a physical event.

remember that the last E3 was scraping the bottom of the barrel already that they had to give an award to Asteroids for the Amico

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jay Rust posted:

But what if they run out?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Electric Phantasm posted:

What if the pre-order is a goku skin in my favorite shooter?

Put this scenario into ChatGPT and it crashed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't play shooters where the default skin isn't goku already

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I preordered elden ring so I could get the adventure guide that I never opened

Feel like I made the right choice

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The last game I pre-ordered digitally was Bioshock in 2007. I learned my lesson.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

There's a trend now where if you preorder you get skins that are later sold separately. The Quarry did this and the new SpongeBob game did too.

In that instance you probably already know if it's going to be your kind of game or not and it's a nice freebie.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think I pre-ordered tunic and deaths door.

I have a type.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Skins... are sins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AceOfFlames posted:

I preordered Marvel Midnight Suns Legendary Edition digitally and it was a fantastic decision. Still a heck of a gamble though. Don't preorder unless you have a REALLY good feeling (and even then, think it over).

the only reason to preorder a digital game is doing it like the night before it releases to preinstall it, if you know you were gonna buy it day 1 anyways