Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

goatface posted:

Oh man, Rolling Rock. That's a beer I've not thought about since I was 17. I took a crate to a party and regretted everything I could remember in the morning.

At least it was cheap.

at band practice in college, we'd spring for roro or sessions whenever we wanted to drink a little higher class than pbr for the evening :v:

for all my complaints about my job these days, i suppose i'm glad i can at least afford decent beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Rolling Rock makes me spectacularly flatulent.

Also, the big companies seem to be able to avoid specifics on the salary range, at least for engineers, but I wonder how smaller companies or more specific listings are working out.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's pretty wild to me that tech ended up being the One True Job seemingly permanently and there's zero downsides to it compared to every other career.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Being surrounded by tech professionals sounds like a downside.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Agents are GO! posted:

Being surrounded by tech professionals sounds like a downside.

It's all WFH now though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

slurm posted:

It's all WFH now though
It's a point that applies to no one greater than yourself.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

I'm still saying we're still in tech labor shortage mode until we have a long down spell. I made that mistake going into college after the dot com bust and thinking IT is washed up.

The layoffs now are companies who took over or hired on a basis of denying the other guy heads based on being in labor shortage mode. I don't think we're exiting shortage mode as much as admitting that was a dumb policy.

For every cutting room scraps assemble the git hub snippets engineer there's like 100 washouts who can't even do that and become computer janitors or business majors. Productive computer touching remains an elusive skill even with everyone seeing 6 figgy junior job ads and gunning for them.

get out of my head

there is nothing I wish more than if I had stuck with my career after the dot-com thing imploded. I literally sold cell phones for three years until I randomly applied for a low-level IT job and the recruiter went :catstare: you did what? with who???

And I cannot agree enough w/r/t to git hub snippet engineers. Its really easy for the demigods of IT to talk a lot of poo poo about that, but those guys are still leaps and bounds above the average IT washout. Even now, to this day, theres a majority in IT who only know how to sound like they know what they're doing.

slurm posted:

It's pretty wild to me that tech ended up being the One True Job seemingly permanently and there's zero downsides to it compared to every other career.

:haibrower: for whatever reason IT has become some weird confidence game, where if you've provably worked as a computer toucher you can basically get some sort of decent computer toucher job down the road.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol the person running the line didn't pay attention to the consistency of the solder paste in the printer, and it transferred onto my shift. About halfway through one work order, through the other half I inspected, and all the way through the next one, it didn't put down enough paste on 4 diodes between 2 shields.
They were all lifted, but unless you knew it was lifted from a 3D scope, you couldn't tell, and the AOI wasn't taking pictures of it for the most part. I found out when I sent a line test and all 24 boards failed dead on the power on step. By the point my tech realized what had happened, that work order was finished and we had changed over to a new product.

I repaired about 6 of the ~480-500 boards affected before I fixed my 5th solder bridge that I caused before I realized I had put myself about an hour behind doing nothing but rework for 35 minutes and just kicked them over to the techs since they have better soldering tools than me anyway. The day shift tech who gets super pissed when he has to do anything non-tech related should have been elated when he came in at 9.

The work area we're talking about is about | | that big and inside a shield, it's balls.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

lol the person running the line didn't pay attention to the consistency of the solder paste in the printer, and it transferred onto my shift. About halfway through one work order, through the other half I inspected, and all the way through the next one, it didn't put down enough paste on 4 diodes between 2 shields.
They were all lifted, but unless you knew it was lifted from a 3D scope, you couldn't tell, and the AOI wasn't taking pictures of it for the most part. I found out when I sent a line test and all 24 boards failed dead on the power on step. By the point my tech realized what had happened, that work order was finished and we had changed over to a new product.

I repaired about 6 of the ~480-500 boards affected before I fixed my 5th solder bridge that I caused before I realized I had put myself about an hour behind doing nothing but rework for 35 minutes and just kicked them over to the techs since they have better soldering tools than me anyway. The day shift tech who gets super pissed when he has to do anything non-tech related should have been elated when he came in at 9.

The work area we're talking about is about | | that big and inside a shield, it's balls.

:haibrow: I interned at Hewlett-Packard in high school in the mid-90s, in their instrument division (loooong before Carly Fiorina and Agilent). Micro components / microsoldering is an art to itself. :shepicide: I talked the dudes into letting me work on their IPX network instead :shepicide:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

Rolling Rock makes me spectacularly flatulent.

I remember it doing this as well. Dunno what it was about it, but it was easily the fartiest beer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrow: I interned at Hewlett-Packard in high school in the mid-90s, in their instrument division (loooong before Carly Fiorina and Agilent). Micro components / microsoldering is an art to itself. :shepicide: I talked the dudes into letting me work on their IPX network instead :shepicide:

I love me some microsoldering and I woulda been fine if I had some of the finer tech irons, but lol @ fixing that poo poo through visual inspection with a goddamn cone iron that barely fits the workspace in the first place while actively running product that isn't broken.

Also if you overheat those diodes with air or iron they snap in half lmao

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 31, 2023

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Super Waffle posted:

Jesus I am underpaid.

Mood. I'm over here trying (and failing) to claw my way to a third of what that ad's offering, and that would be enough to stabilize the current (very much unstable) situation.

Guess I should've gone for tech even though it was, quite literally, going to kill me if I kept on that track in college.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
High tech jobs pay good. Manufacturing jobs in high tech industries pay good. Crafting spells that make computers be smart pays good.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

High tech jobs pay good. Manufacturing jobs in high tech industries pay good. Crafting spells that make computers be smart pays good.

It's just kind of weird that it's like the One True Job on every level even for low-end work. Like some kind of class marker I guess.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Guess I should've gone for tech even though it was, quite literally, going to kill me if I kept on that track in college.

extremely same

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

slurm posted:

It's just kind of weird that it's like the One True Job on every level even for low-end work. Like some kind of class marker I guess.

Also selection bias. SA is overwhelmingly STEM-lords.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, not me, I was a STEM-serf. Or maybe STEM-handmaiden.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Yep, even arts majors like me eventually become them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could have been a quant. There was a grad stream open when I left university with a masters in doing big maths with big computers.

Instead I went to do a PhD and died inside while in academia instead of finance.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Magnetic North posted:

Yep, even arts majors like me eventually become them.

lol I got a history degree and ended up making drugs in a cleanroom afterward because I didn't want to be a teacher; then got a job doing microsoldering on accident after throwing out random applications flat broke, because I learned to solder from my grandpa making intricate stained glass.

Checks out

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MrQwerty posted:

lol I got a history degree and ended up making drugs in a cleanroom afterward because I didn't want to be a teacher; then got a job doing microsoldering on accident after throwing out random applications flat broke, because I learned to solder from my grandpa making intricate stained glass.

Checks out

Ditto with history degree. Worked on statistical tables for a bunch, then got a gig doing historical document review that I ended up absolutely hating (more so due to the team/company than the work itself).

And now I'm pivoting over to tech/IT. Still enjoyed getting my degree though.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:catbert: I am one of the proud and hallowed IT guys who got into it so they didn't have to work with people :catbert:

:lol: I've worked in tech sales for the last fifteen years though :shepicide:

EDIT

And at least back when I got into it, living in the Bay Area during the original dot-com crush, it was one of the few careers where you could advance on merit and not education. Things have changed a shitload since then, but its also still relatively applicable.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Mechanical Engineering degree here, had aspirations of getting into advanced prosthetics but landed a job in Theme Parks after graduation so I stuck with that until Covid caused a mass layoff. My special effects experience got me my current job in a hydrogen liquefaction startup that is currently entering a death spiral, so I'm trying to get back into theme parks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

goatface posted:

Oh man, Rolling Rock. That's a beer I've not thought about since I was 17. I took a crate to a party and regretted everything I could remember in the morning.

At least it was cheap.

The Mustang flea market in Largo, FL has a hot dog stand that sells Rolling Rock tall boys. Bring your own twelve pack and buy one off them every once and a while, no one says a word. Nothing like getting plastered at the flea market.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

MrQwerty posted:

Checks out

That reminds me of, when I was into electronics as a kid, my grandpa once tried to give me a couple of soldering irons and some solder.

The copper kind of soldering "iron" that you heat up with a blowtorch. And sticks of solder that probably weighed half a kilo each, looked half melted already, and which I’m fairly sure were more than 50% lead. I'm sure they would have been fine for plumbing work…

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i work in tech :smuggo:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Super Waffle posted:

Mechanical Engineering degree here, had aspirations of getting into advanced prosthetics but landed a job in Theme Parks after graduation so I stuck with that until Covid caused a mass layoff. My special effects experience got me my current job in a hydrogen liquefaction startup that is currently entering a death spiral, so I'm trying to get back into theme parks.

"You know those gigantic movie special effects explosion fireballs?"
"Yes, I've done some work related to that field"
"Good, we want our product to never ever do that, can you help us?"
"Suuureee, I guess?"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Handsome Ralph posted:

And now I'm pivoting over to tech/IT. Still enjoyed getting my degree though.

I loved getting my degree and loved the subject matter and stuff I learned, and a lot of what I learned in a history degree applies to manufacturing and process engineering and etc. I don't regret the knowledge I gained at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I got a history PhD and ended up being an office worker.

Getting that degree was, and remains, the biggest regret of my life.

It was fun, it was rewarding, and it hosed me over in ways that have already profoundly shaped my life and will continue to do so until I'm dead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The factual content of most degrees is worthless.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I worked in nuclear waste remediation for the first few years of my career which allowed me to finish my undergrad EE.
Then I spent a little over a decade in government funded research (infrastructure security) while getting my Masters and PhD, again in EE.
As part of the Covid resignations, I quit that job and took one in semiconductors. Back in October the export restrictions to China hit, along with slower demand. I survived the layoffs this far.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

goatface posted:

The factual content of most degrees is worthless.

I got a Classics degree (Not even one that required learning a dead language) and work in IT. The main strength in a college degree is probably just proving you could be taught ostensibly outside of the influence of mommy and daddy.

Also being technically-minded, but having a humanities degree flags you as "Hey, this guy can actually communicate unlike our engineers".

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I got a linguistics degree and have worked 100% in international supply chain and logistics. Turns out engineering and sales and manufacturing misunderstand each other constantly even in ideal conditions.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Xlorp posted:

I got a linguistics degree and have worked 100% in international supply chain and logistics. Turns out engineering and sales and manufacturing misunderstand each other constantly even in ideal conditions.

Translating engineer and never-edited-always-modified SOPs to GED-level basic operator language in feeder rooms to and in cleanrooms for 18-60 year olds was how I ended up getting my lead status at the drug plant. Picked that one up getting a history degree with a dad who got a MechE bachelors and a MME in Aerospace Engineering.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 31, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Zero degrees and my fast food career got me to a top 5% income in Canada lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

COPE 27 posted:

I found the pinata

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

For our American friends, this sounds way more impressive than it actually is.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I got my BA in English because I had no idea what I wanted to do with living, then fell into litigation support (document review stuff for attorneys) for five years because I was pretty good at computer-touching. Then I got sick of it, used my inheritance from my grandfather to go to brewing school, and have been making beer for a living for twelve years now. I've been burned out on being expected to be ~*passionate*~ about breaking my back in an industry full of alcoholics and Divorced dads for a pittance for a few years now, and have been debating using my knowledge to get into a trade like welding. I don't know a single brewer living comfortably who isn't either married to an IT professional, rooming with 25 other people or living with their moms (yes, I am engaged to an IT professional).

I tried getting into some office temp work when I moved here and ended up just getting tossed into the world's worst-organized dog treat factory, so I got back into brewing and am burned out on it again.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2023

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Oh nice our best project manager with 20 years experience was given the boot today and allowed 30 minutes to say goodbye. No handover period. This bodes well for the tens of massively complex projects currently in progress...

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

cynic posted:

Oh nice our best project manager with 20 years experience was given the boot today and allowed 30 minutes to say goodbye. No handover period. This bodes well for the tens of massively complex projects currently in progress...

I’m guessing the project manager made the mistake of telling one of his superiors,”No. we can’t finish this new project within 3 days. This will take at least 6 months,” or something similar. You know, trying to make the people, who have no reasonable understanding of the work his reports do, have reasonable expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Cthulu Carl posted:

Also being technically-minded, but having a humanities degree flags you as "Hey, this guy can actually communicate unlike our engineers".

This times ten billion. My lovely humanities degree mean that I can communicate an idea through time with the magic of the written word, something apparently completely alien to so many engineers. What a loving concept.