Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

PantsBandit posted:

Is...is that a turd on her shoulder...

I had that exact same thought. I had to expand the image and I'm still not sure what the hell that is. My only consolation is the apparent combat text "Overlord Furfur uses [D] Milk Crusher"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's a meat skewer :eng101:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Interesting checklist this boss has.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Foul Fowl posted:

i recently finished northern journey and it's a rare treat.

Coincidentally I just started this today after buying it in the winter sale. Put in five hours so far and I 100% co-sign everything, it's just fantastic. I could almost instantly tell it was one of those rare titles, so immediately captivating that it reminds you how good games can be. The combat is janky for sure but it works, and even as someone who generally hates fighting flying enemies I've been having fun with it.

I'm done for today having just come back from the Nokkpond but I really hope it stays this good.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 31, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I thought you had to write words to submit a rating at all? In the past when I tried to thumbs up a game with no review it wouldn’t let me.

That's what I thought! But the thumbs up/down have disappeared so I assume it just logged it as a positive review

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jelly posted:

This is exactly the kind of game I want (raised on Wizardry) but not like this...
try undernauts

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Foul Fowl posted:

i recently finished northern journey and it's a rare treat. absolutely incredible adventure/FPS/walking sim/horror/metroidvania/etc. game. it creates a really evocative and cohesive world centred around scandi mythology, despite being pretty loving out there, or rather it's fully in line with how actually loving out there most scandi myths are, with some very unexpected, funny and memorable events. some janky ugly graphics and some text on the screen is all this game needs to do more to get you invested than a cutscene worked on by 100 people with paid hollywood voice actors. you never have any idea where the story is going next or what you're about to do but it all fits together into this compelling fantasy story that's equal parts about mythology and faith and community as it is about human ingenuity and its daredevil attitude towards the unknown. i'd hate to spoil anything about it, honestly, since that's half the fun of the game. but the dev is one of those people who seems to have realised that you can make your video game do anything so why just stick with boring stuff? the complete lack of information about this game online also definitely helps give the game a sense of mystery. it's one of those you want to keep playing to see what happens.

some of the steam reviews called it skyrim on acid and that's not inaccurate on a surface level but it's got so much more going for it besides just being a richer and better version of a scandi fantasy game.

it's also very pretty. i know i said it's ugly and it kinda is but you spend a lot of your time wandering and ziplining through norwegian mountains and hills and swamps and caves and it's a really pretty game. on some of the maps you'll start on the ground gradually making your way higher and higher, on some you'll delve far into the underground before coming back up. you unlock new means of transportation as you go on and ziplining across the landscape you just struggled through is, as in all games, a lovely feeling.

oh, and the combat. lol, the combat. this is probably where the game's going to lose people. if i was in a kind mood i'd say the combat is charmingly janky, if i wasn't i'd say it was pretty dogshit. other than boss fights you spend all your time fighting these incredibly unpleasant insects, arachnids, whatever ticks are, basically the whole game is crawling with giant bugs and they're really annoying to fight. some of them fly, some of them hide in the grass (and when they attack they attach themselves to your camera and take up like 50% of the screen for a few seconds while they suck your blood). and there are so many of them in the game (there's at least half a dozen kinds of spiders lmao). and they make insanely hideous crawling/flying/skittering bug noises, which is good, because it warns you that something is coming.

and yet. i still pushed through. i mostly have zero tolerance for stuff in games that i don't enjoy but i think northern journey gets away with it in my brain for a few reasons. 1) the game is made by a single dev so i'm much more forgiving of all weird decisions, and because it has such a clear vision throughout it's definitely part of the intended experience 2) because the enemies are so unpleasant to fight, you really appreciate all of the increasingly mechanically complicated weapons you get to fight them, reinforcing the thematic content of human ingenuity and conquering nature 3) going through areas you've cleared is great 4) since most of your weapons are affected by gravity and the insects move in a very insect-like way, becoming better at fighting them takes some amount of skill and it's very satisfying to line up three perfect shots in a row 5) it makes the game feel grounded, which is important when the game goes so out there in so many other ways 6) it leads to some moments of profound terror.

i did play it on the deck which made it a lot harder to aim. and it's possible i am huffing some pure strain copium wrt the combat because i loved the game so much.

anyway it's incredibly good. play if you enjoy video games.

The combat really is something else. You think you're doing something wrong, the game can't possibly be expecting you to do that, but sure enough, that's exactly what it wants you to do. And after you've shown you can do it, how about doing it while dancing on a tight rope above instant death and stuff is shooting at you. Yeah.

It also has some of the most memorable moments and OST in a video game I've played in the past 10 years. Even linking what they are is kind of ruins it since the music transitions hit you much out of nowhere as much as the gameplay itself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
northern journey is a horrid little goblin of a videogame and one of the best I played that year

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The combat really is something else. You think you're doing something wrong, the game can't possibly be expecting you to do that, but sure enough, that's exactly what it wants you to do. And after you've shown you can do it, how about doing it while dancing on a tight rope above instant death and stuff is shooting at you. Yeah.

It also has some of the most memorable moments and OST in a video game I've played in the past 10 years. Even linking what they are is kind of ruins it since the music transitions hit you much out of nowhere as much as the gameplay itself.

Northern Journey’s very good OST is also included in the game’s files, there’s just a folder in there with all of it as .mp3s or something. The soundtrack is definitely something that really elevates the game and makes it as memorable as it is

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

exquisite tea posted:

I’m gonna be honest, I don’t understand TCGs on a fundamental level. I play video games exactly because I can see my little man beat up stuff instead of some lame picture, that is in fact the entire point!!

Does anybody else see like a few white pixels (has to be dark mode maybe) in the middle below the text on the first post in a given page? Click to this post and tell me I'm not crazy.

e: nvm I clicked through and can't see it anymore. weird but I did see it in two first posts in a row

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

northern journey is a horrid little goblin of a videogame and one of the best I played that year

This is the perfect description of how I felt playing the game too. It was cool to see the developer constantly doing small updates to the game after it released, to the point where some weeks it was getting small fixes every couple of days. Plus I liked that he would be on the steam forums to give advice or hints to anyone who was stuck as well.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Croccers posted:

I still barely understand why Syndicate 2012 was banned in Australia.
The offical reason was
"combatants can take locational damage an can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated, or bisected by the force of the gunfire. The depictions are accompanied by copious bloodspray and injuries are shown realistically and with detail. Flesh and bone are often exposed while arterial sprays of blood continue to spurt from wounds at regular intervals."
But this was the same year as Borderlands 2, The Darkness 2 and the Doom 3 remaster so like always it was just the board huffing their own farts.

Also, Soldier of Fortune 2 came out in Aus almost 10 years earlier

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
japanese developers simply understand the truth: people who like old school dungeon crawlers are sex perverts

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Jack Trades posted:

Go on...I'm taking notes.

It's only anime if it doesn't get you hard

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, I picked up Dread Templar, only a couple levels in, but yeah, I'm digging it. I get the feeling it won't have the clarity of vision to rank as one of the best (eg DUSK, AE, I think Wrath has that potential) but that's not damning it. It's just good, old fashioned fun! That said, since I've never been a secret hunter*, I'm not a huge fan of the way missable character upgrades are hidden behind some of them, although I think the biggest ones are in clearly marked side areas at least. I haven't played them yet, but I think Cultic and Prodeus are like this too? I definitely prefer it when secrets just hold ammo, health and powerups, or early access to something you'll get later on anyways.

*Unless the games have very obvious tells that one's in the area, eg Overload and nu-Doom.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just finished Wrath up yesterday morning I think. Solid game, maybe even little g great. There's some bullshit with the spawn traps on progress triggers and god that vertical jump is sad but overall I really like it. Really hoping it gets finished and hopefully sooner rather than later.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

japanese developers simply understand the truth: people who like old school dungeon crawlers are sex perverts

:hmmyes:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

That said, since I've never been a secret hunter*, I'm not a huge fan of the way missable character upgrades are hidden behind some of them, although I think the biggest ones are in clearly marked side areas at least. I haven't played them yet, but I think Cultic and Prodeus are like this too? I definitely prefer it when secrets just hold ammo, health and powerups, or early access to something you'll get later on anyways.

Prodeus sometimes hides upgrade currency in secrets, but there's way more than you'll need to buy every weapon and upgrade. Cultic has a collectible that gives you 5 extra max health, but there's only one per level. In neither of them, the secrets are necessary to hunt down.

Cultic is the way better game, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

Prodeus sometimes hides upgrade currency in secrets, but there's way more than you'll need to buy every weapon and upgrade. Cultic has a collectible that gives you 5 extra max health, but there's only one per level. In neither of them, the secrets are necessary to hunt down.

Cultic is the way better game, though.

Yeah I do plan to play both. Prodeus I've been waiting to see if they change their knuckleheaded save system (all signs point to no), Cultic I'm waiting for both eps to be finished.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PantsBandit posted:

Is...is that a turd on her shoulder...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

Welp, I picked up Dread Templar, only a couple levels in, but yeah, I'm digging it. I get the feeling it won't have the clarity of vision to rank as one of the best (eg DUSK, AE, I think Wrath has that potential) but that's not damning it. It's just good, old fashioned fun! That said, since I've never been a secret hunter*, I'm not a huge fan of the way missable character upgrades are hidden behind some of them, although I think the biggest ones are in clearly marked side areas at least. I haven't played them yet, but I think Cultic and Prodeus are like this too? I definitely prefer it when secrets just hold ammo, health and powerups, or early access to something you'll get later on anyways.

*Unless the games have very obvious tells that one's in the area, eg Overload and nu-Doom.
Cultic does have weapon parts in secret areas which is how you upgrade weapons but there are some weapon parts in regular areas too, just not a ton. I don't really think you NEED them to enjoy the game but they can make your weapons more powerful. I did not fully upgrade any, mostly just focused on power and ammo.

I do like having some upgradey stuff/currency in secrets as long as other secrets just have conventional health/armor/ammo/earlier weapon, and also as long as there's upgradey stuff/currency in the regular areas as well.

(with Forgive Me Father I was constantly thankful for secret health/armor, that game can be brutal sometimes...)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA not to update/restart the steam client if you have it running, an update has made the friends list/chat appear as a black box which was previously a rare thing you used to be able to fix but this old thread on the steam forums just blew up with mentions of it starting here so it seems to be broken for everyone.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

The 7th Guest posted:

try undernauts
Thanks, I've wishlisted this. Few games will I spend $60 on.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

:|

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

PSA not to update/restart the steam client if you have it running, an update has made the friends list/chat appear as a black box which was previously a rare thing you used to be able to fix but this old thread on the steam forums just blew up with mentions of it starting here so it seems to be broken for everyone.

yeah i just got hit by this, p weird

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Undisputed came out today and immediately shot to #2 on the Steam sales chart, falling short of only TERFwarts.

This is pretty surprising to me. I don't think I've seen this much hullabaloo over a boxing game since Fight Night.

If I'm being honest, I don't know of any boxing games that existed since Fight Night.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jelly posted:

Undisputed came out today and immediately shot to #2 on the Steam sales chart, falling short of only TERFwarts.

This is pretty surprising to me. I don't think I've seen this much hullabaloo over a boxing game since Fight Night.

If I'm being honest, I don't know of any boxing games that existed since Fight Night.

Has anyone tried Undisputed? Never heard of it before except for this post and am cautiously excited to check it out when I get back home!

In terms of boxing games, there's a few that I can think of. There's the Ready 2 Rumble series, a very old PSX-era game. There's also the Hajime No Ippo series, a Japanese only game series based on the manga of the same name. There's a lot of entries but of the ones I played, I'm particularly fond of the PSP version.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jelly posted:

Thanks, I've wishlisted this. Few games will I spend $60 on.
that's fair. i played the Switch version through Gamefly myself. it's probably best to get on sale

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Are any of the actual newer/later Wizardry's any good?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

try undernauts

I tried Undernauts and honestly did not care for it. The 70s Japanese light horror aesthetic is cool but everything else was kind of meh.

The classes and skills didn't feel all that original or interesting. The combat got way too easy way too fast. The challenge seemed to be more about using the XP/reward booster skill on the right turn to level up faster. Being able to just click on the map where you want to go sounds good in theory but in practice going hands-off made it more boring somehow.

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 is still the most fun I've had in the genre, but even that was several years ago at this point.

Has anyone tried Jettatura? Wizardry: The Five Ordeals? It's kind of slim pickings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Much needed change

From the beta client

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

Much needed change

From the beta client

Hallelujah

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played so much Fight Night back in the day I got blisters on my thumbs, if undisputed is supposed to be a new one of those I'm very down with that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

FutureCop posted:

And here I thought you were just thinking of Momodora, which I feel spawned a lot of similar boob-based bosses:

I also thought you might've meant the Hakoniwa Explorer Plus, which has a lot of bosses that crush you with their, uh, assets.
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is unironically a solid little game and I am excited for the sequel.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How interesting are builds in Troubleshooter? It doesn't seem to have any character creation but if the build space is wide enough that can be sufficient for me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rinkles posted:

Much needed change

From the beta client

And it will never stop reminding you how to change it back.

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
For boxing games I really enjoyed Billion Beat. Would recommend, that soundtrack has some bangers
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1177330/Billion_Beat/

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

How interesting are builds in Troubleshooter? It doesn't seem to have any character creation but if the build space is wide enough that can be sufficient for me.

Extremely wide and unfathomably deep. Troubleshooter is very good, only suffering from a general problem of too many things. It could cut like twenty gameplay systems and be a bit more streamlined... but also it's whole everything, all of the things is kind of part of the charm so who cares. But yes, the build crafting is second to none, it's FFT on mega-steroids.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Foul Fowl posted:

i recently finished northern journey and it's a rare treat. absolutely incredible adventure/FPS/walking sim/horror/metroidvania/etc. game.

Yeah it’s definitely worth a buy, especially if you get easily bored with how samey videogames have begun feeling. I wish combat was a little less tedious and frustrating when it comes to aiming and reloading but you can’t win them all. If you’re at least somewhat on the fence about buying the game, I’d say take a chance because I think you’ll know way before the 2 hour refund window if the game is right for you.

Something I really enjoyed was in the credits where the dev gives thanks to the kids at his day job. I wouldn’t be surprised if some child drew up designs for one of the villagers not sure if that’s enough to be a spoiler but it definitely got me seeing the game design in a different light afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OzFactor posted:

Extremely wide and unfathomably deep. Troubleshooter is very good, only suffering from a general problem of too many things. It could cut like twenty gameplay systems and be a bit more streamlined... but also it's whole everything, all of the things is kind of part of the charm so who cares. But yes, the build crafting is second to none, it's FFT on mega-steroids.

Can you respec your characters?