Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, to each their own, but I think the Ioniq 6 looks fantastic.

Edit: I just looked at the photo in the linked article, and in white the front does look a little doofy. I think it looks more sleek/modern in darker colors, and the rear looks great regardless.

It has those vents open which do make it look weird, I think otherwise it would be fine. The rear end is kind of busy but maybe it looks different IRL

Nessus posted:

I’d definitely buy a 100mile range car if it was reasonably crash safe and under 10k. I’d charge it at work for free! Then I’d get crushed like a bug by someone on Route 18 eager to get to a mall.
I'm definitely not against the idea of a cheap 100m EV but in reality I feel like it wouldn't make much sense at least for me. It's still 10 grand which isn't nothing, you have to deal with parking, registration fees, insurance, etc.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kirios posted:

Are y'all not realizing the MX-30 is 35k or something? Yes a smaller cheaper EV would be fantastic to have. There's nothing even in the sub 25k range, let alone sub 20k. You could easily justify 100 mile range in those brackets.

This thing is a travesty, and no it's not just a compliance thing. They are selling it at least around the US now. My local Mazda dealer has two of the 2023s (with a 5k markup. I guess they're hoping there's at least two Russian Bears around here to buy them?) right now.

Even the 0-60 is a freaking joke.

I think what you're not realizing is people aren't necessarily talking about the mx-30. I am fine with a hypothetical car that's nice enough being 100 range, and 35k as there's more to a car than having a big battery.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Why would you want "nice enough, 100 miles" for 35K?

If you're compromising on range, then that 35K either needs to go into luxury, or performance. Or it should cost less than 20K, because there's plenty of 230 mile cars that are "nice enough" and 35-40K.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“100 mile grocery getter” is $10k territory unless it literally does drive itself

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Ioniq 6 looks quite good but I can never unsee how much worse it looks compared to the concept car it was based on, the Prophecy.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Tiny Timbs posted:

“100 mile grocery getter” is $10k territory unless it literally does drive itself

I don't think any new cars are sub 10K anymore. But I agree with your point.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

1. It's 2023 so lol at 10k. 2. Some people live in places dense enough that they can get to many places besides a grocery store within 50 miles one way. Winter+ battery degradation let's say 25. 25 isn't great but not everywhere has cold winters.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Once you get to 25 you're basically in Bolt territory

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why stop at 10k, I think the MX-30 should be the same price as a Yugo in 1985: $3,990.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Ford Model T. 360 bucks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Vegetable posted:

Electric cars are a net negative on the environment in the developing world. Hybrids make far more sense there.
How so?

quote:

Even in the developed world hybrids would be a massive improvement over ICE cars and it’s pretty wild to be cutting them out of any climate mitigation strategy. The science pans out — a hybrid+EV world is only slightly worse for the environment than an EV-only worked, and it has massive upsides in affordability.

Agreed on the first part. Can I learn more about the second part?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They should have never stopped making the Spark EV.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Duck and Cover posted:

1. It's 2023 so lol at 10k. 2. Some people live in places dense enough that they can get to many places besides a grocery store within 50 miles one way. Winter+ battery degradation let's say 25. 25 isn't great but not everywhere has cold winters.

You have to keep in mind how dependent so many major cities in the US are on cars infrastructure wise, even when people really don't drive long distances, to the point where most households have at least two cars, even if one car is used for basically nothing but getting one person to and from work and not even a far distance to and from work.

My husband drives 9 miles to and from work. That accounts for 99% of the usage of his car, besides the occasional errand before or after work, a doctors appointment, etc, almost all other driving is done in my car. This is part of the reason married couples get such a big break on car insurance, they are going to share a car a big part of the time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

You have to keep in mind how dependent so many major cities in the US are on cars infrastructure wise, even when people really don't drive long distances, to the point where most households have at least two cars, even if one car is used for basically nothing but getting one person to and from work and not even a far distance to and from work.

My husband drives 9 miles to and from work. That accounts for 99% of the usage of his car, besides the occasional errand before or after work, a doctors appointment, etc, almost all other driving is done in my car. This is part of the reason married couples get such a big break on car insurance, they are going to share a car a big part of the time.

This is true, and it's why we're planning to buy the LEAF back from my dad when he gets his Bolt. I don't care that the battery is only 70% healthy, I only need to go 10 miles at the greatest. Absolute corner case, I need to get to the town 40 miles away, which is swimming in DCFC, so whatever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

1. It's 2023 so lol at 10k

Don’t care, for a car that incapable that’s what I’d pay for what it actually does

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Don’t care, for a car that incapable that’s what I’d pay for what it actually does

Well no product can survive being unappealing to Timy Timbs.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

How so?

Agreed on the first part. Can I learn more about the second part?
BEVs are more polluting than hybrids if the charging is powered by coal. Driving a Bolt in West Virginia is worse for the environment than driving a Prius. Most of the developing world is still hugely reliant on coal.

A 100% BEV world would be prohibitively expensive and environmentally worse for those countries. They would do great with hybrids and I totally empathize with Toyota’s befuddlement that those cars are being demonized.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Vegetable posted:

BEVs are more polluting than hybrids if the charging is powered by coal. Driving a Bolt in West Virginia is worse for the environment than driving a Prius. Most of the developing world is still hugely reliant on coal.

A 100% BEV world would be prohibitively expensive and environmentally worse for those countries. They would do great with hybrids and I totally empathize with Toyota’s befuddlement that those cars are being demonized.

That is not true, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM
https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/1083705013917097986
And many more sources I'm sure are available, but this is just a discussion board on the internet.

You're being Astroturfed by the oil industry!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wayne Knight posted:

They should have never stopped making the Spark EV.

I wish the latest Kia Soul EV was sold in the U.S.! It's the perfect size for me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm pretty sure like 100% of demand for cheap 100mi grocery getters is filled by used Leafs, if anyone wants one you can have my Leaf for $10k.

If I'm paying $30k for a new car I'm getting a Bolt that can do 200+ real world miles, the slightly larger battery is an extremely marginal added material/environmental cost, and the added utility is huge.

Vegetable posted:

Do you have any kind of source for that? Because "West Virginia" is not one of the interconnected regions of the US power grid. and I've seen numbers for post-denuclearized Germany, which has a massive amount of coal, and BEVs still come out on top.

I don't think anyone is "demonizing" hybrids or PHEVs, even in this thread about how cool pure EVs are

E: you can make a lotta batteries for the material and energy cost of building an ICE.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 31, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Valicious posted:

I’ve been watching news about the ID.BUZZ for a while now because I want an EV I can throw a mattress in for road trips and camping. I also need to fit an electric wheelchair (Whill CI) that breaks into three pieces as well. VW is going to be introducing the ID.CALIFURNIA (looks like a BUZZ but with pop-up roof, awning, camper stuff) in 2025, but that’s a heckuva long time to wait. Hopefully VW receives enough negative feedback about the capacitive controls that they change them.
I almost got an Ioniq 5. The mattress would’ve fit, but the wheelchair becomes an issue.

Has anybody been following the anode-free batteries from ONE? They were put in a Tesla and BMW to give them a 600+ mile range, and I think they’re going to be in they IX?

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/battery-startup-one-aims-slash-cell-cost-deliver-600-mile-range-2022-09-13/

The crazy thing is the new eSprinter, the 2023 one that did a 295mile test in Germany, may not be much more expensive than the ID BUZZ (one report says $50k in USA, the ID BUZZ IS $45K?).

The Ford eTransit is less expensive, abet with only 125 mile range.

But wow, these are FAR larger vans.

eSprinter article: https://cleantechnica.com/2022/12/04/new-mercedes-esprinter-goes-295-miles-in-real-world-driving/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Finding a free fast charge station four miles from my house feels like a cheat code. Not like charging my vehicle at home costs that much in the PNW, but this still feels incredible.

I wonder how long this kind of thing will last.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kirios posted:

Finding a free fast charge station four miles from my house feels like a cheat code. Not like charging my vehicle at home costs that much in the PNW, but this still feels incredible.

I wonder how long this kind of thing will last.
Depends on power price and what it’s at. Is it at a store? Then it’s a promo.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Aino Minako posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1618405312569933829

I’m sure they’re going to sell some of these but man, how big can that market possibly be next year?

I’m wondering if part of Tesla’s inventory problem now is that everyone who wants a Tesla already has one. How many more people can be holding out for the cyber truck? The F150 is awesome, and I finally started seeing some R1Ts around - they’re cool!

FORD could triple the F150 production and sell every single one.

They should do a promo where you get your CyberTruck deposit refunded if you switch.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

That is not true, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM
https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/1083705013917097986
And many more sources I'm sure are available, but this is just a discussion board on the internet.

You're being Astroturfed by the oil industry!

as far as I can tell he doesn't actually disprove it, he just says you can't buy coal power in the Netherlands and calculates using the actual Dutch grid (which is wind/gas mostly).

Let's say the grid is about as bad as Poland's (mostly coal with some wind). They're now around 800g/kWh (https://app.electricitymaps.com/zone/PL)

0.2kWh/km * 800 = 160g CO2

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My understanding was that at this point an EV is lifetime better even with a coal grid now, but it takes longer to break even so to speak. This may have been less true a few years ago. Even if it’s a complete push you would still have the advantage of all the non CO2 pollution happening in one scrubbable place.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Elviscat posted:

I'm pretty sure like 100% of demand for cheap 100mi grocery getters is filled by used Leafs, if anyone wants one you can have my Leaf for $10k.

If I'm paying $30k for a new car I'm getting a Bolt that can do 200+ real world miles, the slightly larger battery is an extremely marginal added material/environmental cost, and the added utility is huge.

The Bolt looks and feels like a cheap econobox, which is fine, people have always bought cheap econoboxes, but there is certainly a market for an elevated city car that puts battery cost into build quality instead of battery. The BMW i3, while clearly priced too high new and really needed 100+ miles range across the line has held it's second/third hand value remarkably well for this exact reason.

Bring the Honda e to the US.

If you never drive more than 50 miles a day and you buy a 200 mile range car, you are just paying to drive an expensive, depreciating battery around that serves you no useful purpose, it's equally valid, honestly, much more so, to buy a car that has a nicer experience for the driver for what you actually use it for, sitting in traffic on your daily commute to work 20 miles each way.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 31, 2023

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Here's a map that assigns an mpg figure that would result in the same the emissions of the average EV if driven on that region's energy mix.

Full report and executive summary here: https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/driving-cleaner

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Three Olives posted:

Bring the Honda e to the US.

:emptyquote:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
According to https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

WV is 92.38% coal powered, an EV would have 6228 lbs of CO2 vs a Hybrid at 6898 lbs, so barely an improvement, at 100% it might indeed be worse. (Specific vehicle model efficiency may vary, as well)

Also I think the main goal in developing nations should be to get people to switch to electric scooter/moped (whatever they're called), since those small displacement engines are awful polluters.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Do you have any kind of source for that? Because "West Virginia" is not one of the interconnected regions of the US power grid. and I've seen numbers for post-denuclearized Germany, which has a massive amount of coal, and BEVs still come out on top.

I don't think anyone is "demonizing" hybrids or PHEVs, even in this thread about how cool.pure EVs are
p69 of this 2019 MIT study: https://energy.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Insights-into-Future-Mobility.pdf

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Yes exactly. I don’t know why anyone would argue on Mazda’s behalf for this, even they knew this thing was unmarketable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

E: it's not a hive mind, it's a collection of the worst possible EV opinions in the world.

I had to think for a bit to work out the best way to make it the thread title

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

borkencode posted:

According to https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

WV is 92.38% coal powered, an EV would have 6228 lbs of CO2 vs a Hybrid at 6898 lbs, so barely an improvement, at 100% it might indeed be worse. (Specific vehicle model efficiency may vary, as well)

Also I think the main goal in developing nations should be to get people to switch to electric scooter/moped (whatever they're called), since those small displacement engines are awful polluters.

We really need to nationalize all power in the US but nope gotta have capitalism

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mazda spending all this energy with the MX-30 when they could be instead making an electric Miata.

...oh no, they're going to make a crossover Miata aren't they

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

New Volvo has a giant fuckoff lidar sensor (at 4:50) as well as 5 radar sensors, 8 exterior cameras and 16 ultrasonic sensors :eyepop:

https://youtu.be/mzhoterdJcI

e: also features “backlit wood” at 14:40. Big lols

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 31, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Thr problem is they didn't spend any real energy - that's why the result sucks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dissss posted:

Thr problem is they didn't spend any real energy - that's why the result sucks
Oh so now spending energy is good, huh?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bird with big dick posted:

Like, a bicycle?

Nah, those are 12k now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vegetable posted:

New Volvo has a giant fuckoff lidar sensor (at 4:50) as well as 5 radar sensors, 8 exterior cameras and 16 ultrasonic sensors :eyepop:

https://youtu.be/mzhoterdJcI

e: also features “backlit wood” at 14:40. Big lols

5 radar sensors are pretty standard and 16 ultra sonic sensors is barely above standard (4 corner radars plus front facing radar for ACC, emergency braking and cross traffic, 4 front, 4 rear, 4 side for parking assist).