Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hank comes from a time when there was the illusion of common decency between the two political parties. He even respected former Governor Anne Richards when he met her. He may have been a Reagan Republican but he’d probably be closer to boring centrist these days. He’d probably like Biden.

Regardless, a good chunk of the KoTH formula is Hank having an outdated viewpoint and having it changed, often overdoing it in the process.

As Hank said to his brother in laws, “I’m complicated!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A MIRACLE posted:

I have faith, but I like every mike judge property. yes I even enjoyed the goode family

It was a lot less terrible than I anticipated.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Pamela Adlon returning as Bobby is what makes me think they aren’t aging up unfortunately. That voice would be harder to work for Bobby as a 20-30 something

They had an easy way to keep the same basic family structure by having Hank and Peggy taking in G.H. who would be Bobby’s age. You can come up with a reason Didi isn’t in the picture any mmore pretty easily.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dacap posted:

Pamela Adlon returning as Bobby is what makes me think they aren’t aging up unfortunately. That voice would be harder to work for Bobby as a 20-30 something

What if Bobby is now Bobbie?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I wonder if they're going to address Luanne, Lucky, and Gracie at all. It'd be weird to have them just gone, but maybe to depressing to draw attention to.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dacap posted:

I know a lot of good-intentioned people broke their brains and went CHUD in the 2010s but despite being conservative I couldn’t see Hank liking Trump: a vain, prissy, loudmouth from New York.

Then again, Hank does respect Buck Strickland.

Buck strickland isn't from new york

...but hank is a new yorker. Hmm. Quite the quandary

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Buck strickland isn't from new york

...but hank is a new yorker. Hmm. Quite the quandary

The NY bit doesn’t apply, but Buck is the same
kind of narcissist small business tyrant personality as Trump. Trump just did it on a larger scale.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do they recast Principal Moss? He was a major character in the later seasons.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
oh god I just read his name and realize we get more buck strickland plots

I am more excited, a little

he is an absolute trainwreck of a man

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

seiferguy posted:

Do they recast Principal Moss? He was a major character in the later seasons.

Principal Boomhauer

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Moon Monster posted:

I wonder if they're going to address Luanne, Lucky, and Gracie at all. It'd be weird to have them just gone, but maybe to depressing to draw attention to.

while it's sad they can't reboot Luanne and do better by her (with her original VA I mean, god I hope they don't do it with a new voice), maybe Gracie gets the mechanic gene. :unsmith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mild take, but I'd be fine with recasting Luanne and Lucky. It'll be bittersweet, but animated characters get recast all the time. At the end of the day, it is a character.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dacap posted:

kind of narcissist small business tyrant personality as Trump. Trump just did it on a larger scale.

Another big difference is Buck is a depraved alcoholic and gambling addict, whereas trump (aside from pills) is by all accounts a teetotaler because alcoholism helped kill his brother and dad, and he's far too cowardly to gamble with his own money.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

At the end of the day, it is a character.

both of which were previously defined by actors that will not be easily replicated. those two were talented enough that it would be tough.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hazo posted:

Another big difference is Buck is a depraved alcoholic and gambling addict, whereas trump (aside from pills) is by all accounts a teetotaler because alcoholism helped kill his brother and dad, and he's far too cowardly to gamble with his own money.

Trump was absolutely on whatever stims he could get his hands on, as was the norm at the time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

both of which were previously defined by actors that will not be easily replicated. those two were talented enough that it would be tough.

Not saying it'll be easy. But far from impossible. Mel Blanc died in the 80s and pretty much every character he's voiced has got a new VA.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Recast kahn if you have to, no problem with that. But no kahn, no watch.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hank comes from a time when there was the illusion of common decency between the two political parties. He even respected former Governor Anne Richards when he met her. He may have been a Reagan Republican but he’d probably be closer to boring centrist these days. He’d probably like Biden.

Regardless, a good chunk of the KoTH formula is Hank having an outdated viewpoint and having it changed, often overdoing it in ĺĺ¹licated!”

Hank has deep reverence for basically any institution and tradition. If he were framed for murder he'd be ecstatic if it meant he got to be executed by Ole Sparky.

Dacap posted:

Buck is crappy most of the time but there is still a tiny flicker of morality that cares a little bit about people. He looks after himself first but he isn't as completely devoid of empathy like Trump is.

lol imagine

Tumble fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 1, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I mean, yeah, to make it work you have to age up the characters for sure. Having them older but basically the same from a personality standpoint and in a modern setting would seem to write itself, especially under Judge's guidance and keen eye for satire. It doesn't make any loving sense or even seem interesting to just pick up where they left off.

Stick Bobby in a community college with his own apartment where you introduce some roommates. Have Joseph doing...whatever it is he might do...maybe trying out for a USFL or XFL football team and get it to where Hank and Peggy are mulling over retirement in the modern age and all that goes with that.

You can write off Luanne and Lucky by saying they moved to Florida or, if it can be done tastefully, have them die off screen. Gracie Margaret Kleinschmidt and Good Hank are blank slates that you can do anything you want with, so maybe the Hill's are saddled with caring for two younger kids and then you can write in some generation gap bits.

Kahn would have probably moved into a bigger house that he can't afford.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, yeah, to make it work you have to age up the characters for sure. Having them older but basically the same from a personality standpoint and in a modern setting would seem to write itself, especially under Judge's guidance and keen eye for satire. It doesn't make any loving sense or even seem interesting to just pick up where they left off.

Stick Bobby in a community college with his own apartment where you introduce some roommates. Have Joseph doing...whatever it is he might do...maybe trying out for a USFL or XFL football team and get it to where Hank and Peggy are mulling over retirement in the modern age and all that goes with that.

You can write off Luanne and Lucky by saying they moved to Florida or, if it can be done tastefully, have them die off screen. Gracie Margaret Kleinschmidt and Good Hank are blank slates that you can do anything you want with, so maybe the Hill's are saddled with caring for two younger kids and then you can write in some generation gap bits.

Kahn would have probably moved into a bigger house that he can't afford.

No way Kahn would have moved. His entire story arc is about him finding, accepting, and appreciating his acceptance in the community.

What he would have done is torn down the house he's in and built a bigger one that he can't afford on the same lot.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Actually in the rest of the world soccer is called foot! bøl

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Operation: Infinite Walrus

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

A MIRACLE posted:

Oh, thanks, but you know, I prefer the fast-paced Canadian three-down system. I mean, American football is a real snoozer, huh?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In a surprise bid, Buck runs for president of the Propane Gas Association. Hank thinks he’s dead in the water because of his reputation as a sleaze but Buck’s offensive and disrespectful manner strangely connect with voters. Hank questions the future of propane with Buck’s outrageous platform at the helm.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Smiley’s == Shoney’s doesn’t it. Even has the same font

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

GooooooooooooooooooOOoOoODBlessAmerica!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Buck Strickland would probably be a Senator by now

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

A MIRACLE posted:

Operation: Infinite Walrus

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

A MIRACLE, I didn't think I'd ever need to tell you this, but soccer was invented by European ladies to keep themselves busy while their husbands did the cooking.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A MIRACLE posted:

Smiley’s == Shoney’s doesn’t it. Even has the same font

What's smileys? I don't remember it tbh

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i have been doxxed

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hank would have voted for Trump in 2016. Hank presents like he's got his head on his shoulders, but he's just as gullible as Dale and Bill are. He's a total fuckin kissass to Buck, even though he fuckin despises him. Hank would have bought Trump's image as a legitimate businessman hook, line, and sinker. There's a chance that Hank would have had reservations in 2020, but he would have just voted libertarian or wrote in and told people he voted for Trump if asked.

Anyway

I wrapped up season thirteen. I've seen every episode of King of the Hill. I feel like there's a decline somewhere, but so much of this show runs together to me of the course of a year and a half that I've watched it. It's not as steep of a decline as The Simpsons goes through from season nine to season ten. Season nine of The Simpsons is a very tough act to follow, but season ten just felt like a slog to get through.

What I cannot at all get over is how much Hank just reminds me of my dad. Right-wing, stuck up, his greatest fear in life is that his son's gay, surprisingly progressive in some ways despite his general politics, loyal to his job to a fault, and worshipped work. Hank is a cartoon character written to come around on things, and a lot of that is because he's surrounded by people who are more open-minded than him in their own way. And like my dad, an injury ruined his chances at a life that they wanted. Hank would have gotten a full ride to college if he had won state, and he'd have had the sense to get through school on a business major and not lean on the prospect of getting drafted into the NFL.

Peggy reminds me of someone I grew up with, as well as a lot of elements that person's mother. Changes jobs like it's her underwear, is so headstrong that they think they know everything about a certain subject despite demonstrating the complete opposite, and thinks they can achieve greatness without the credentials required of it. It's certainly part of the joke about her character, but it absolutely slays me that Peggy thinks she can be a full-time teacher on just an associate's degree. Most states won't even let you get a substitute teaching license without anything less than a bachelor's degree (unless you're like me and from Wyoming, where the requirements are much lower, but I had a bachelors degree during my stints as a sub).

Because King of the Hill is so grounded in reality, it really does annoy me that the characters never age across all thirteen seasons. I think Bobby turns thirteen at least twice in the series. A show like The Simpsons or South Park is absurd at its core and lives in cartoony land, so it can get away with no one ever ageing and Homer going from boomer to gen-xer to millennial. King of the Hill should have aged its characters. The show should have ended with the kids at some point in high school. But Bobby's voice finally cracking like Joseph's did would have come with a voice actor change, and I doubt Pamela Adlon would have been understanding of being replaced unless they just left Bobby's voice as is.

And even though the reason the show ended because Fox cancelled it, I'm rather glad that King of the Hill had the decency to end. I cannot fathom how The Simpsons still has a consistent viewership, and I feel like the only thing that will finally kill it is when whichever of Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, or Yeardly Smith quits or dies first.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Star Man posted:

Hank would have voted for Trump in 2016. Hank presents like he's got his head on his shoulders, but he's just as gullible as Dale and Bill are. He's a total fuckin kissass to Buck, even though he fuckin despises him. Hank would have bought Trump's image as a legitimate businessman hook, line, and sinker. There's a chance that Hank would have had reservations in 2020, but he would have just voted libertarian or wrote in and told people he voted for Trump if asked.

Anyway

I wrapped up season thirteen. I've seen every episode of King of the Hill. I feel like there's a decline somewhere, but so much of this show runs together to me of the course of a year and a half that I've watched it. It's not as steep of a decline as The Simpsons goes through from season nine to season ten. Season nine of The Simpsons is a very tough act to follow, but season ten just felt like a slog to get through.

What I cannot at all get over is how much Hank just reminds me of my dad. Right-wing, stuck up, his greatest fear in life is that his son's gay, surprisingly progressive in some ways despite his general politics, loyal to his job to a fault, and worshipped work. Hank is a cartoon character written to come around on things, and a lot of that is because he's surrounded by people who are more open-minded than him in their own way. And like my dad, an injury ruined his chances at a life that they wanted. Hank would have gotten a full ride to college if he had won state, and he'd have had the sense to get through school on a business major and not lean on the prospect of getting drafted into the NFL.

Peggy reminds me of someone I grew up with, as well as a lot of elements that person's mother. Changes jobs like it's her underwear, is so headstrong that they think they know everything about a certain subject despite demonstrating the complete opposite, and thinks they can achieve greatness without the credentials required of it. It's certainly part of the joke about her character, but it absolutely slays me that Peggy thinks she can be a full-time teacher on just an associate's degree. Most states won't even let you get a substitute teaching license without anything less than a bachelor's degree (unless you're like me and from Wyoming, where the requirements are much lower, but I had a bachelors degree during my stints as a sub).

Because King of the Hill is so grounded in reality, it really does annoy me that the characters never age across all thirteen seasons. I think Bobby turns thirteen at least twice in the series. A show like The Simpsons or South Park is absurd at its core and lives in cartoony land, so it can get away with no one ever ageing and Homer going from boomer to gen-xer to millennial. King of the Hill should have aged its characters. The show should have ended with the kids at some point in high school. But Bobby's voice finally cracking like Joseph's did would have come with a voice actor change, and I doubt Pamela Adlon would have been understanding of being replaced unless they just left Bobby's voice as is.

And even though the reason the show ended because Fox cancelled it, I'm rather glad that King of the Hill had the decency to end. I cannot fathom how The Simpsons still has a consistent viewership, and I feel like the only thing that will finally kill it is when whichever of Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, or Yeardly Smith quits or dies first.

Was this chatgpt? If not, wholey poo poo that's a lot of words about some cartoons.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

drunk mutt posted:

Was this chatgpt? If not, wholey poo poo that's a lot of words about some cartoons.

It's okay to care about things.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Star Man posted:

the only thing that will finally kill it is when whichever of Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, or Yeardly Smith quits or dies first.

lol if u think fox hasnt made each of them sit down and record every word in the dictionary in order to be still making episodes in 2099

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nooner posted:

lol if u think fox hasnt made each of them sit down and record every word in the dictionary in order to be still making episodes in 2099

That sounds like something a writer from the Simpsons would have come up with in 1996.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Isn't Yeardley Smith on borrowed time anyway because she's an insane Scientology cultist

edit: Oh nm it's Nancy Cartwright/Bart

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 1, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^^^Julie Cavner’s poor vocal cords are going to snap during a recording session next season. She will be replaced by an AI.

I can’t see Hank voting for Trump. But even more, I can not see him voting for Hilary.

Peggy would absolutely have voted for Hilary. No question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
the only characters who I am sure would be 100% Trump are Buck and Khan. even Dale would find a reason to trust him. no clue about Hank. I see him taking a lot of issue with the fact that Trump is a New York TV celebrity if nothing else. would probably write in "Ronald Reagan" or something like that. idk it's hard to say, people like Hank don't really exist anymore