Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Ugh, that AI archer pathing was dreadful. :D Nice work surviving that and the Pegasus swarm.

Good thing the NPC archers were tanky and dodgy enough that you could bait with Treck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
even with micaiah she gains immediate physic access after she stops being combat viable on harder modes, so she always has some utility no matter what

quote:

Thea is another character that I think is slightly overtuned, though not to the same extent as Trec. Mostly my problem is that she pretty much entirely obsoletes her sister, so maybe it's just that Shanna is undertuned? Thea's always been the slightly stronger, slower alternative, but now her growths look more like a wyvern rider who picked the wrong mount. Which is all well and good, except that her base speed is already so high that it's barely even a drawback. She'll almost certainly still hit 20 before promoting, and doesn't have to get that lucky to cap it afterwards either.

so basically she's FE3/12 palla now but with the wing spear, that's legit

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Re: Roy's frailty, it's also worth emphasizing that in most of the series, defensive growths trend significantly lower than offensive growths across the board. FE6 is probably one of the games where this phenomenon is at its most pronounced, and it still holds true in Project Ember for the most part outside of a few specific characters. Hell, while Roy's 30/30 defensive spread looks bad sitting next to the rest of his growths, it's genuinely pretty good relative to the rest of the cast. We can see that borne out in everyone's current stats too; outside of our dedicated tanks, be they physical or magical, he's probably got the best overall bulk in the army right now.

As for why this trend exists, it actually makes a lot of sense in the context of Fire Emblem's overall game design. You have to remember that FE is highly invested in symmetry, or at least the illusion of it, i.e. the idea that the player and the enemy are operating under the same set of rules. With that in mind, you sort of need to make sure that the potential to deal damage outpaces the potential to mitigate it long term. Otherwise you eventually end up with a problem where everything takes forever to die, which turns battles into a tedious slog and isn't fun for anyone.

Ironically this is a problem that vanilla FE6 kind of already has and one of the things that Project Ember sets out to fix, except instead of inflated defenses drawing out battles, it's the abysmal hit rates and overtuned gates/thrones.

Dr Pepper posted:

You're going to use all three Pegasus Knights and like it. :colbert:

Sue's turning out nearly as badly as Shanna, so I've been mentally preparing myself for this possibility, yes.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022

FoolyCharged posted:

The general trend for lords has been a light fast sword unit that is more balanced stat wise than a myrmidon. But it's never been a real hard rule.

Archtype:
Marth
Alm(though I think he usually ends up a bit beefy although not a tank?)
Marth2 electric Boogaloo
Seliph's initial, if short lived, state
Leif
Roy
Lyn
Eliwood
Erika
Ike in fe9
Chrom
Alear

Cool trend buckers that everyone loves:
Celica (sword mage)
Sigurd (A giant ball of stats on a horse)
Seliph after he gets some exp (same as above after a few levels, but doesn't get a horse until he hits lvl 20)
Hector (Axe Armor knight that gets normal move and normal movement until he promotes)
Ephraim (first playable Lance infantry, balanced stats but leaning towards beefy and punchy over speedy)
Ike in fe 10 (big strong beefy dude that can have speed issues)
Miciah (light mage glass cannon)
Robin (sword mage)
Corrin (manakete)
Claude(flying archer, but his statline does mean you can build him as an archtypal lord if you want)
Edel (defensive, slow axe armor)
Dimitri (Big strong Lance infantry)

So long story short, yes but no. And everyone loves pretty much all the exceptions. The only one I would call frail in the trend buckers is Micah.

Huh looking at the series MCs as a whole is pretty interesting. As much as it’s memed that FE games all have generic swordsman as the protagonist, there’s actually a decent variety, and a lot of times the MC is a swordsman there’s another main character that fills a different role.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite quirk in the GBA games is that a single blessed Pegasus Knight can pretty much solo the entire game

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My favorite quirk in the GBA games is that a single blessed Pegasus Knight can pretty much solo the entire game

I still remember having a Florina in FE7 who snowballed so hard after several blessed levels that I started letting her handle tricky situations on her own. That was a fun run for sure.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I still remember having a Florina in FE7 who snowballed so hard after several blessed levels that I started letting her handle tricky situations on her own. That was a fun run for sure.

I once had a Vanessa I'm still not entirely convinced wasn't Ephraim with a wig. It was the only time I sent her down the Wyvern path because she was determined to get big without suffering a scratch

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Greenking77 posted:

Huh looking at the series MCs as a whole is pretty interesting. As much as it’s memed that FE games all have generic swordsman as the protagonist, there’s actually a decent variety, and a lot of times the MC is a swordsman there’s another main character that fills a different role.

Would you ever consider playing any of the earlier Fire Emblem games so you could see for yourself? It's really, really easy to get into Sacred Stones, especially with its tutorial.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022

Delphisage posted:

Would you ever consider playing any of the earlier Fire Emblem games so you could see for yourself? It's really, really easy to get into Sacred Stones, especially with its tutorial.

I’ve been meaning to get around to playing sometime. (Currently playing through Engage) I remember trying to play one of the GBA games a while back on an emulator (one of Ike’s games I think) but I never made much progress due to being busy with school

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Greenking77 posted:

I’ve been meaning to get around to playing sometime. (Currently playing through Engage) I remember trying to play one of the GBA games a while back on an emulator (one of Ike’s games I think) but I never made much progress due to being busy with school
Ike is gamecube i believe. Lyn/eliwood/hector are the lords in 7 and ephraim/eirika are 8

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
There's an FE8 hack making the rounds right now that rebuilds FE6 in its engine, with the modern skill system, but also a lot of stuff just lifted from PE (with dubious permission granted.)

Its way of solving the Shanna problem, rather than buffing her growths like a normal person, was to give her... Aptitude. Awakening Aptitude.

Very normal unit.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm totally cool with benching Shanna. I think people hoping for some scheudenfreude for making her lug around a useless character will be disappointed because a mounted flying unit is always useful

EDIT: pronouns

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 28, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Greenking77 posted:

The characters who defy the archetype are mostly later game characters. Celica is one of two main protagonists of FE2, with Alm being the generic swordsman. Sigurd is an exception, but Seliph plays it straight for a bit in FE4. Leif then is another generic swordsman in FE5, followed by Roy in FE6, then Lyn and Eliwood making up two of the three lords of FE7, with Hector the exception. FE8 has Eirika, who's the starting lord and usually promoted in advertising over her lance wielding brother as the face of FE8. Then you go back to generic swordsman Ike in FE9, until finally FE10 breaks the pattern for good. You have your first fully mage lord in Micaiah, followed by Awakening's Robin, Fates' Corrin and the leaders in Three Houses.

So the meme was justified for most of the series lifespan, certainly when the generic sword lords started showing up in Smash.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Faillen Angel posted:

There's an FE8 hack making the rounds right now that rebuilds FE6 in its engine, with the modern skill system, but also a lot of stuff just lifted from PE (with dubious permission granted.)

Its way of solving the Shanna problem, rather than buffing her growths like a normal person, was to give her... Aptitude. Awakening Aptitude.

Very normal unit.

...Please tell me that's not the default background color.

Nihilarian posted:

I'm totally cool with benching Shanna. I think people hoping for some scheudenfreude for making him lug around a useless character will be disappointed because a mounted flying unit is always useful

This is true, but tbf most of the schadenfreude is in seeing me moan and groan about it, and that's gonna happen regardless of how much she's actually contributing.

(Also, it feels a little weird correcting someone online when I'm still super closeted irl, but: Her, probably. :j:)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

(Also, it feels a little weird correcting someone online when I'm still super closeted irl, but: Her, probably. :j:)
whoops, sorry

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look, if they don't take Shanna every map how will they know to watch out for arrows?

Abodmuthkat
Dec 9, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

pre:
Growths

HP   70   Lck  20
Str  60   Def  30
Skl  90   Res  10
Spd  40
Thea is another character that I think is slightly overtuned, though not to the same extent as Trec. Mostly my problem is that she pretty much entirely obsoletes her sister, so maybe it's just that Shanna is undertuned? Thea's always been the slightly stronger, slower alternative, but now her growths look more like a wyvern rider who picked the wrong mount. Which is all well and good, except that her base speed is already so high that it's barely even a drawback. She'll almost certainly still hit 20 before promoting, and doesn't have to get that lucky to cap it afterwards either. You can't even point to the wing spear as a selling point for Shanna, because Thea can use it too! Shanna does have a significantly better res growth, but as we've seen, it's still not super consistent. Now, to be fair, Thea does have flaws if you set aside the Shanna comparison. Her skill growth is incredibly overkill, and she rams her strength cap pretty hard too. She's also yet another low luck unit, though her base is good enough that she doesn't have to worry that much about stray crits. Really I think if you just knocked Thea's base speed down a few points she'd be totally reasonable.

"Entirely obsoletes" is almost putting it lightly. Here's what Shanna looks like on average, on level 10:

HP: 23.55
STR: 7.45
SKL: 10.85
SPD: 18.95
LCK: 10.5
DEF: 6.05
RES: 8.45

So, -6 HP, -6 STR, -1 SKL, 0 SPD, +1 LCK, -5 DEF, +1 RES. Oof. That's quite the unflattering comparison.

On average, it will take Shanna until promoted level 4 to hit that 14 STR. Even a hypothetical extremely blessed Shanna who gained a point in STR every level wouldn't be able to match this Thea; there simply aren't enough levels. Similarly, a extremely DEF-blessed Shanna would only get 1 point of defense over Thea right now. And, of course, Thea is nearly guaranteed to cap that speed, with 10 40% chances.

Speaking personally, I mowed down the pegasus knights with archers when they got in the way of recruiting Thea. Can't say I have any regrets, because it's not like I need it, given that it would be going to Shanna.

Abodmuthkat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 28, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

To be... very slightly fair to Shanna, this Thea also rolled particularly well on her hard mode bonuses. She's +1 strength and speed over her expected bases from the spreadsheet and isn't behind anywhere else. But yeah, the comparison is somehow even more lopsided when you run the numbers and put them side by side like that.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

thea is so good, in this

and unlike shanna she can actually kill dudes

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Welp. The novelty of the wing spear was... pretty much the entire reason I didn't stop voting Shanna earlier. That Thea can use it too (and probably Juno too based on pattern recognition... even though I wanna see an LP do Sacae) is just.... Yeah, bye Shanna votes. Still probably gonna stop voting Thea after we get Melady because of the aforementioned Sacae, though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Engage is out now, it's pretty fun!

Caldonia is one of the main islands that make up the Western Isles, the other two being Fibernia and Dia.

I wish I could say it was responsible for the last update taking as long as it did, especially coming off an even longer gap, but I actually wrote nearly all of it after the game's release. Anyway, back to Project Ember.

awaiting transport to Eburacum, the Mine of Death. When Roy arrives at Castle Edina, the situation appears dire...

See, now this would have been good exposition to have last time. Yes, they are using de facto slave labor.

I think that's supposed to be Arcardo on the gate right now.

However, he immediately disappears inside the castle, to be replaced with fleeing civilians.

: Don't be stupid! If we stay, we'll be worked to death! You're just going to lie down and take that? Don't you have a family or something back home?

: Yeah...

: There are people coming to help us from the northeast. We just have to make it there in one piece!

There's something almost surreal about dipping into this part of the portrait folder for something other than visiting a house/village. I guess we did it way back in chapter 5 too.

I dunno dude, you were the one standing on the gate.

: ...Then there must be a traitor among us. Morgan!

: Yes, Lord Arcardo.

Go ahead, everybody laugh at this palette swapped rear end in a top hat sharing a name with Robin's kid. Consider this though: in Japanese, Awakening!Morgan is named Mark, after the tactician from FE7, so really we're just bringing it back full circle to Elibe. Hell, maybe this is the tactician, in a bad future where you played on hard mode and he never met Lyn and friends. :tinfoil:

: I will return to Jutes. Don't let them escape. Send more hands to the mine as well. I can't afford to lose more workers!

Have you considered not working the ones you have to death? Just a thought.

He fucks off, and we pan over to the good guys.

: Yes, that is Castle Edina. The people kidnapped on the Isles are first sent there. They are then taken to Eburacum and forced to work in the mines. As it happens, today is the weekly shipment of captives to the mines. It will be difficult to rescue them once they've been sent off.

: Then you're saying we have to rescue them now!

: Yes. I already had some spies infiltrate the castle and help the people escape.

: What will the captives do once they're out?

: I told them to send the captives to the northeast. In other words, our present location.

: Then we must rescue those people before sieging the castle.

No call to arms this time, Roy? Okay then.

Time for a bit of a breather after chapter 10's marathon of side objectives. Note that neither the green units nor the enemies immediately surrounding the castle are on the map yet.

Morgan is, frankly, a downgrade from both previous bosses just by virtue of not having a killer or brave weapon to threaten people with. Even beyond that, though, his stats just... aren't all that impressive? Don't try to fight him with cavalry like an idiot and you'll be fine.

We're up to four generic promoted enemies now, with three of them starting fairly close to our position and two of those in the same formation.

As usual, the warrior is the least interesting among them. Next!

Stat-wise, the swordmaster is nearly identical to our previous encounter with one. However, thanks to the lighter weapon, her effective speed is significantly higher, though she also doesn't hit quite as hard. Barthe is still our only reliable option for tanking her, but Debias and Trec are very close and could maybe get there with the right level ups.

What Barthe definitely cannot handle, though, is the berserker. Even without the effectiveness bonus, the damage potential is just too high. So does that mean we need to cheese this guy at range again like we've been doing so far? Well, maybe, but with him being so close to the start of the map, I'm a lot more willing to take a risk with one of our dodgier sword users than I would be otherwise.

Finally, the general. He's debuting the final tier of myrmidon exclusive ranged sword. ...Look, just go with it. Unlike the first two in the tree, the tempest blade also comes with flying effectiveness. Oddly enough, its stats are nearly identical to a steel bow except for the range difference.

What else do we have...? Right, ballistas! Trying to puzzle out a ballista's stats is a lot more work than it needs to be, but as far as I can tell they haven't been changed too drastically. They'll be keeping our fliers in check on what would otherwise be a wide open map with tons of opportunities for hit and run attacks.

As his location might imply, this shaman is also toting a siege weapon. Eclipse is... still garbage, unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose, depending on your perspective). Clearly a case where the hacker couldn't think of anything interesting to do with it, but felt the need to include it anyway.

Ummm, other than that none of the unpromoted enemies have anything crazy going on. There's a lady mage over here, so that's neat I guess. We have reached something of a turning point in overall composition, though: there are officially more silver weapons on the field than steels.

Vote

Current Stats

15 slots, including Roy. Two of those are reserved for Alen and Lance to support, as previously dicussed. This map highly favors mobility, so they'll fit right in, and unlike Wade and Lot, their stats are still pretty good despite not having seen action in a while. No requirements other than that, though. I fully expect Fir to get voted in to talk to her dad, but we don't need her to recruit Bartre. There's also nothing to steal... yet. Very minor spoiler, but there's eventually going to be a second boss after the map starts, who does have a bullion up for grabs. However, even with a thief, actually getting it from him is going to be a tall order, for... reasons. I'll try and make a good faith effort to pull it off if we happen to field a thief, but don't feel like you have to vote for one just for that. So, that leaves 12 slots for you to fill with whoever you want. Even Shanna, I guess. As usual, you've got 48 hours. Happy voting!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I miss Gwendolyn

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bors, Barthe, Debias, Gwendolyn

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Bors, Ellen, Dieck, Thany, Lugh, Clarine, Rutger, Treck, Astol, Wendy, Fir, Shin. Looks like a map for a lot of last chances for units before they end up replaced by ones with better RNG favor, assuming Lance and Alan aren't getting those chances already.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dang your Clarine is looking pretty mediocre.

Delphisage posted:

Bors, Ellen, Dieck, Thany, Lugh, Clarine, Rutger, Treck, Astol, Wendy, Fir, Shin. Looks like a map for a lot of last chances for units before they end up replaced by ones with better RNG favor, assuming Lance and Alan aren't getting those chances already.

Agreed. Same vote.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Lilina, Shanna, Elen, Sue, Clarine, Gwendolyn, Dorothy, Fir, Thea, Gonzales, Chad, Debias

Because I vote based on how cute they look and not how effective they are, also Debias is mandatory because it's funny to me and Chad because he's turning out well

Gonzales is adorable

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Debias, the liberator, Bors, Barthe, Wendy, Shanna, thea, trek, astolpho, chad, lilina, gonzales, fir

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The purpose of Shanna is to be a flying taxi in the early game, paste Erik's cavalry in chapter 4 with the wing spear, and dodge tank pirates in chapter 9 with an early promotion. Thea can't invalidate that

As the world's number one inexplicable Thea fan, I'm glad she finally got to be strong instead of the unit that even HM bonuses couldn't save

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Which is to say deploy Thea and I don't care about the rest

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I've liked Tate plenty already for having that extra point of constitution that means she's not as screwed by weapon weight as Thany always is. She's like Fiora lite.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Gonzales, Thea, Lillina, Elen, Fir, 5x LPer’s Choice

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

gwendolyn, thea, clarine, ogier, lilina, fir, chad, wolt, rest is lpers choice

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bors, Barthe, Debias, Gwendolyn

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This is an anti-vote for Bors and Barthe, please take one off of them

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
thea, rutger, sin, flex

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Voting is closed!

Gwendolyn: 8
Fir: 6
Thea: 6
Bors: 4
Debias: 4
Elen: 4
Shanna: 4
Clarine: 4
Lilina: 4
Rutger: 3
Trec: 3
Astolfo: 3
Sin: 3
Gonzalez: 3
Chad: 3
Barthe: 2
Dieck: 2
Lugh: 2
Sue: 1
Dorothy: 1
Ogier: 1
Wolt: 1

LPer's choice: 18

Well poo poo, we've got six people fighting over three spots. Okay uhhh, let's bump up Gonzalez, because he didn't get to do much last time and this is one of like three maps in the whole game where mountainwalking is actually sort of relevant, Sin, because I know several people want to go to Sacae and we're already deploying both peg knights, and Rutger, because there's a lot of axes out there and I will absolutely take the chance to wiggle out of my promise to try and steal the bullion.

So, our squad is: Roy, Alen, Lance, Gwendolyn, Fir, Thea, Bors, Debias, Elen, Shanna, Clarine, Lilina, Rutger, Sin, Gonzalez

Side note, since we're about to hit our first promotion and I haven't explicitly said anything: There's enough promotion items to go around now that I don't really feel the need to have votes on them. If somebody reaches 20, assume that they're getting promoted at the next available opportunity unless we're somehow completely out of whatever they need.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Ah, whoops. I had a feeling I was forgetting something when a lack of sleep surrounding an 11 hour day job shift caused me to pass out for 18 hours afterward. My votes probably wouldn't have really changed the outcome though.

(If curious: Rutger, Wendy, Debias, Sue, Shin, Thea, Lilina, Gonzales, LPer Choice. The only name who didn't make the cut is Sue.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bors/Debias support, y/n? First to five votes wins.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

YES