Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

404notfound posted:

:confused: At the risk of outing myself as media-illiterate, were Glass Onion and Knives Out supposed to be trying to say anything, beyond being fun murder mysteries?
there's little subtext to be found, because it's pretty much just text with johnson (for better or worse, ymmv)

which is ironic, because, y'know

this show is kinda weird, because it both has some amazing subtle storytelling but also bludgeons you with an exclamation mark of a point, like the letter at the end of the last episode. i don't know if it's reflective of the dual showrunner situation or what's up with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rian Johnson is a decent writer with some interesting ideas but at the same time he seems like his brain has been melted by Twitter and he's more interested in the discussion around his movies than in writing a second draft. He just sort of forgot Rey's motivation and didn't know what to do with Finn. More imaginative than human algorithm JJ Abrams at least.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Was that episode so good that even the culture war shitheads aren't even complaining about it that much?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
All I want to see is Joel methodically sneak, strangle and stab a whole room of soldiers or bandits to death until eventually one notices and he bashes the rest of them down with a steel pipe until he finally grabs the last one, throws him on the floor and stomps his brain in.
That's like his central reoccurring character trait and it feels like the show skips this for some reason.

The humanizing and stuff like that can happen after it is actually established what sort of person he tends to be.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I will always love Rian Johnson for bringing us Holdo and her maneuver.

We started Poker Face but in ep3 the dog murder hit too close to home for my wife with some recent pet health issues so who knows when we’ll pick that up again.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

cant cook creole bream posted:

All I want to see is Joel methodically sneak, strangle and stab a whole room of soldiers or bandits to death until eventually one notices and he bashes the rest of them down with a steel pipe until he finally grabs the last one, throws him on the floor and stomps his brain in.

A rampage like this might be best saved for the last episode. Shock people to see how he will go.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

zelah posted:

I will always love Rian Johnson for bringing us Holdo and her maneuver.

We started Poker Face but in ep3 the dog murder hit too close to home for my wife with some recent pet health issues so who knows when we’ll pick that up again.

The dog lives, also is a fascist.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mantis42 posted:

Rian Johnson is a decent writer with some interesting ideas but at the same time he seems like his brain has been melted by Twitter and he's more interested in the discussion around his movies than in writing a second draft. He just sort of forgot Rey's motivation and didn't know what to do with Finn. More imaginative than human algorithm JJ Abrams at least.

Based on the quality of his movies before and after Last Jedi, I attribute most of the good stuff to him and most of the bad stuff to Abrams and Kennedy meddling

I know that in interviews all parties claimed that RJ was given complete freedom but I think it’s extreme naive to take their word for it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

deoju posted:

A rampage like this might be best saved for the last episode. Shock people to see how he will go.

I get that this works better on some level, but it's a completely different context. If they do it this way, it will just feel like he snaps and is acting emotional and unlike himself. If they first establish that he does stuff like that on the regular like in the game, it hits harder because you think "Oh poo poo. That's right, he would do that."

Just doing one big rampage in an emotional state at the end, feels a bit lame, because you could write that for pretty much every character who snaps due to preril.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 31, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Chello De Don posted:

the GamerTM reaction to TLOU2 is a good example

:byodood: I checked Abby's exercise regime in the gym and there's NO WAY a female could have got those muscles in an apocalypse! Totally ruined the entire game for me!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I know you're joking but was that a real criticism?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
That was pretty much the main criticism of Abby. Her appearance was what I saw people deride the most.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Steve Yun posted:

Based on the quality of his movies before and after Last Jedi, I attribute most of the good stuff to him and most of the bad stuff to Abrams and Kennedy meddling

I know that in interviews all parties claimed that RJ was given complete freedom but I think it’s extreme naive to take their word for it

I hate to contribute to yet another goddamn Star Wars derail but I can believe he had total freedom because Rise of Skywalker made it blindingly clear that Disney had no plan and no outline for the sequel trilogy.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Shageletic posted:

I know you're joking but was that a real criticism?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...sh=62dc0e493034

quote:

This has taken a truly hilariously dumb turn as players have discovered Abby’s workout schedule, an in-game asset, and have used it to try to pick apart why doing that workout, she simply could not have arms that jacked.

Stoatbringer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 31, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Abby was on roids. That's what the pills were.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I get that this works better on some level, but it's a completely different context. If they do it this way, it will just feel like he snaps and is acting emotional and unlike himself. If they first establish that he does stuff like that on the regular like in the game, it hits harder because you think "Oh poo poo. That's right, he would do that."

Just doing one big rampage in an emotional state at the end, feels a bit lame, because you could write that for pretty much every character who snaps due to preril.

The rampaging is all set up to start next episode. That letter is the fuse he needed.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LionArcher posted:

The rampaging is all set up to start next episode. That letter is the fuse he needed.

Can’t wait till he gives her the rifle it will make the murder-squirrel so happy!!

Calling the cold open: Henry and Sam’s group, without Henry and Sam, we’ll get to know them a few minutes to establish that they’re good people, then they get hunted down as tourists. It’s almost got to open brutality after the relative peace of e3

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

That was pretty much the main criticism of Abby. Her appearance was what I saw people deride the most.

drat I'm so glad that I'm not this type of nerdy and I don't have to come across this stuff

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The discourse around TLOU2 was loving insane. Part of the mess was that the game's plot leaked weeks ahead of release, and people drove themselves crazy fixating on either out of context plot points or completely made up bullshit. A large number of people got it in their heads that Abby was trans and decided to hate the game for that reason. And there was a lot of anti-Sony counterhype that was looking for any reason to tear the game down, real or fake. The TLOU2 pre-release spoiler thread over in games was one of the worst things I've read in my life.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s kind of cool that the WLF has assembled enough of a civilization together to mass print items of convenience like workout schedules

FEDRA also has work receipts on custom paper

Are they manufacturing drugs in this world or just scavenging the drugs that were already manufactured? Prescription medications seem like they’d be hard to make

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cacator posted:

I hate to contribute to yet another goddamn Star Wars derail but I can believe he had total freedom because Rise of Skywalker made it blindingly clear that Disney had no plan and no outline for the sequel trilogy.

Most of the weird oddball stuff in TLJ are consistent with the stupid oddball stuff Rian Johnson put in his other movies.

Also he is a hack. Watch Brick if you don't believe me.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Are they manufacturing drugs in this world or just scavenging the drugs that were already manufactured? Prescription medications seem like they’d be hard to make

Joel's conversation with the corrupt FEDRA soldier mentioned a factory where all they make are 'pills and bullets' somewhere, so there's at least some manufacturing going on.

Also the pills Joel gave him were apparently only 3 months old. According to Joel.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Most of the weird oddball stuff in TLJ are consistent with the stupid oddball stuff Rian Johnson put in his other movies.

Brick rules

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

acksplode posted:

The discourse around TLOU2 was loving insane. Part of the mess was that the game's plot leaked weeks ahead of release, and people drove themselves crazy fixating on either out of context plot points or completely made up bullshit. A large number of people got it in their heads that Abby was trans and decided to hate the game for that reason. And there was a lot of anti-Sony counterhype that was looking for any reason to tear the game down, real or fake. The TLOU2 pre-release spoiler thread over in games was one of the worst things I've read in my life.
I still don't know whether a lot of the fake leaks like Abby being trans were genuine mix-ups from the internet playing a game of telephone or bad faith people intentionally trying to poison the discourse surrounding it. Like it wasn't even just Gamergate people repeating that, I remember some of people here being genuinely disappointed that the trans representation in the game was (allegedly) the villain. And there was other weird fake bullshit like "Neil Druckmann made a self-insert character who has sex with Abby", which is a bizarre combination of believing Manny was based on Neil Druckmann (he's not) and Abby's sex scene with Owen.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

stephenthinkpad posted:

Brick kicks rear end

this guy gets it

the biggest issue with TLOU 2 besides length is that its a piece of media that feels like it wants to punish the audience and drags you through so much misery. its just loving exhausting. that's a perfectly valid form of art, just personally its a lot to deal with or love for me

its like that one cancer game a dad made about his dying son. like yes that is a beautiful piece of art and no i absolutely do not want to engage with it just like im never going to watch City of God again

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 1, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rian Johnson fans 🤝 TLOU fans

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Brick kicks rear end

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
With the success of The Last of Us I kind of wonder if they're going to make a 3rd one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lord Hydronium posted:

I still don't know whether a lot of the fake leaks like Abby being trans were genuine mix-ups from the internet playing a game of telephone or bad faith people intentionally trying to poison the discourse surrounding it. Like it wasn't even just Gamergate people repeating that, I remember some of people here being genuinely disappointed that the trans representation in the game was (allegedly) the villain. And there was other weird fake bullshit like "Neil Druckmann made a self-insert character who has sex with Abby", which is a bizarre combination of believing Manny was based on Neil Druckmann (he's not) and Abby's sex scene with Owen.

Ya know, I wondered about this a lot

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

With the success of The Last of Us I kind of wonder if they're going to make a 3rd one.

The little brother of one of the dogs you killed is coming at you for revenge

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

Darko posted:

Real life cordyceps work like that. They start off by cutting the brain off from the rest of the body, basically and control the body, then the last stages have it finally destroy the brain and the head and then burst and release more spores:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/study-zombie-ant-death-grip-comes-from-muscle-contractions-not-the-brain/

Given the moaning/screaming/etc., it seems like that's the same intent in the game.

Especially, from the in game notes, we see the whole thing is gradual. There's a point where the person is completely gone, no doubt, but since notes gradually devolve into people saying they're so hungry and gibberish, and the constant moaning can indicate pain, it looks like the intent is pure body horror where you just feel a lot of pain and still have some consciousness but can do nothing early on until you gradually completely lose all consciousness and are just a mushroom.

Interesting article. It turns out that cordyceps don't manipulate the behavior of the ants at all because it doesn't affect the brains or even nerves of the ants. It just grows around the mandible muscles fibers to cause them to contract so that the ants to bite down or leaves or whatever, presumably to make it easier for spores to spread. Fuckin Attenborough lied to us in that bbc documentary

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Hollismason posted:

i want a young tess and/or joel + tommy murderizing the countryside post collapse

i would also take a fall out new vegas style approach where you just jump to an entirely different part of the country and follow someone else

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hollismason posted:

If Sony is not going to make more game in the TLOU world, why would they make the PS5 remake.

i want a young tess and/or joel + tommy murderizing the countryside post collapse

i would also take a fall out new vegas style approach where you just jump to an entirely different part of the country and follow someone else

I like the Rockstar's approach of making the protagonist of the previous game an annoying NPC and get murdered by the protagonist of the next game.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 1, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Sony is not going to make more game in the TLOU world, why would they make the PS5 remake.

That's a pretty good point.

Honestly Ellie's story doesn't feel like its done.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

I'd be cool with it so long it is a spinoff and not a sequel. Leave Ellie, Joel, and Abby out of it. Different characters, different story, different places.

Now that I think about it, finding out what happens to Lev could be interesting. There would be transphobes butthurt about it, but gently caress them.

Edit: who am I kidding? I'll play it no matter what. lol

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 1, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Steve Yun posted:

That’s kind of cool that the WLF has assembled enough of a civilization together to mass print items of convenience like workout schedules

FEDRA also has work receipts on custom paper

Well the WLF had enough of a civilization to do all that before Ellie and Tommy cut the population in half.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Abby finds out that there is another lab working on a cure, she and Lev track down Ellie and give her another chance to participate.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FEDRA seems like it would be the scariest opponent, if they got their dander up and gathered all the remaining pieces of military hardware they could throw at you. It's like the Pittsburg truck level, but that's every single encounter.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hollismason posted:

That's a pretty good point.

Honestly Ellie's story doesn't feel like its done.

I don't want Ellie as the main playable character. To me the Ellie character has only one satisfy conclusion in her arc. She track down a good scientist and contribute to making of the cure/vaccine (maybe by sacrificing herself in the end).

A TLOU3 video game, OTOH, will have playable characters that kill alot of zombies and human. I just don't want to see Ellie keep doing that poo poo. She can be the main organizer of the plot, I just don't want to see her keep killing people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

The people that spam stuff about woke things are never actually looking at the media. They're just trying to fit in, when they're real people. Often times, they are people commenting from places who don't even have access to the game/movie/show at the time and are just trying to gather clout or be accepted.

For Abby, there were reports of "trans character in game," then a trailer with Abby was released, so people assumed it was Abby. People still think that because they never played the game or even bothered to watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I am super curious if they change up the small details in the final episode. From the moment the Fireflys find them in the game they treat Joel like absolute garbage. Beating him, prodding him, and finally sending him out into the wild with just the clothes on his back.

I know why the game did that but I wonder if it'll be more powerful if they do the exact opposite. Take Ellie, but hold up their end of the deal, respect him, supply him, send him off thinking they're square, only for him to go, No.