Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just mentioned it in another thread, but my favorite change so far is switching out that stupid asteroid turret sequence for one where you just go outside and aim in third person like normal. God, I hated that in the original, I think it frustrated me enough to just quit for the evening.

I barely remember anything about the original at this point but I do recall the turret moving insanely slow and it making me very mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Consummate Professional posted:

I barely remember anything about the original at this point but I do recall the turret moving insanely slow and it making me very mad

It was a brick wall if you were playing on controller and trivially easy with mouse and keyboard.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Welp that checks out

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I loving loved the RE2 Remake but I actually think the Dead Space one is a better remake than that was (so far at least, doesn't sound like it's likely to poo poo the bed either) which I didn't think I'd be saying 2 weeks ago.

The 2 remake was great but the B scenarios were a bit of an afterthought and as a comparison to the original, that part was a bit of a disappointment. Still a truly great game but if I'm evaluating them on the basis of "how much did they take every aspect of the original while improving what needed to be improved" then the Dead Space one is better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the difference for me is that the RE2 remake is so far removed from the original that it might as well be a completely new game. Dead Space remake basically takes the original and improves it in every way whereas RE2 remake rebuilds it from the ground up into something different.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sakurazuka posted:

I think the difference for me is that the RE2 remake is so far removed from the original that it might as well be a completely new game. Dead Space remake basically takes the original and improves it in every way whereas RE2 remake rebuilds it from the ground up into something different.

This is my thinking as well and its why I put REmake 2 just slightly ahead of DSR. Motive did a great job but they ultimately just took the same game, sanded off the rough edges, and gave it a fresh coat of paint. RE2 was actively transformational and I had to give more credit to it for that alone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man I really wish publishers would synch up their promotions on platforms. Thanks to this thread I got a hankering to play the RE3 Remake which I've never played. It's 75% off on Steam right now, that's nice! But I'd prefer to play it on the big screen on a console so let's see how much it's on the PlayStation. 40 bucks, full price. OK how about the Xbox? 40 bucks, full price.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just mentioned it in another thread, but my favorite change so far is switching out that stupid asteroid turret sequence for one where you just go outside and aim in third person like normal. God, I hated that in the original, I think it frustrated me enough to just quit for the evening.

This is what makes it a good remake, because it was clearly a case of the developers not feeling lashed to the original game. They looked at what was fun and not fun, with the latter being things like the turret sequence and node doors, and changed it to work better with the systems they have. Going back through rooms to check for locked security containers is annoying if you try and get all of them, but wandering by a level 3 door you can now open is actually good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man I really wish publishers would synch up their promotions on platforms. Thanks to this thread I got a hankering to play the RE3 Remake which I've never played. It's 75% off on Steam right now, that's nice! But I'd prefer to play it on the big screen on a console so let's see how much it's on the PlayStation. 40 bucks, full price. OK how about the Xbox? 40 bucks, full price.

It goes on sale all the time, it'll be $15 sometime in the next 60 days

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ineffiable posted:

Okay I finished my first playthrough of Dead Space Remake and it's good. Very good.

This is a rare case where the remake is basically superior in all ways over the original.

Hell a lot of people were afraid of them having more dialog for Isaac but honestly it all fits. He's not overly talky. It feels natural for him to make those comments that he did.

They e also expanded the game by like 10% and redesigned various sections and they are so much better than in the original.

It sounds similar to REmake - a game I consider the best remake of all time for some of the reasons you've highlighted here.

REmake is the only remake of a game I've ever played that truly supersedes the original. It takes nothing away, while adding new content in a smart way that enhances the experience without getting in the way or disrupting the flow of the original product. As well as being one of gaming's most impressive visual glow ups (seriously, they were just 5 years apart?), every addition or change to REmake makes it better.

It's a high bar that no other game has reached for me - certainly not the other Resident Evil remakes (so far) - but it sounds like Dead Space is in that same ballpark.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've been seeing people say that the DS remake is *more* of an improvement over the original than the REmakes were, especially on Reddit.

Which is really funny to me because in the original Resident Evil 2 the rooms didn't even have four walls.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

It goes on sale all the time, it'll be $15 sometime in the next 60 days

I'm not in a rush so I wishlisted it on the PS Store so let's see how it goes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i liked my time with RE3R, but it is absolutely a game you should only buy on sale, because you're just not getting that much for a $40 pricetag

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vermain posted:

i liked my time with RE3R, but it is absolutely a game you should only buy on sale, because you're just not getting that much for a $40 pricetag

It's definitely the kind of game you are supposed to play over and over.

Which means if you aren't a fan of new new new new game+ then you're going to be a bit short. But at the same time I've put less into more expensive games.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is it? It's super scripted and one route, it certainly didn't inspire me to play it over and over whereas I did that with RE2R many, many times.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
On that note, how well does the DSR spook randomizer thing keep things fresh from one run to the next?

(I say as if the original trilogy weren’t my most replayed games ever)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CommunityEdition posted:

On that note, how well does the DSR spook randomizer thing keep things fresh from one run to the next?

(I say as if the original trilogy weren’t my most replayed games ever)

Hell even on my first run after a death some of the necromorphs I dealt with before would be in entirely different spots or just not there, or if I hadn't dealt with any necromorphs before they'd suddenly be in a clear hallway. It's enough to keep you on your toes imo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Had a couple of times when a fight went pretty bad because I got surprised right after I saved so I'd decide to load my last save and go back prepared to blast and there was nothing there this time lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Had a couple of times when a fight went pretty bad because I got surprised right after I saved so I'd decide to load my last save and go back prepared to blast and there was nothing there this time lol

makes me wonder if it's due to randomization or if the intensity director's memory values are only cleared on game restart, so if a fight goes pear shaped and you choose to load a save, it'll still be attempting to ease back and give you breathing room

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Is it? It's super scripted and one route, it certainly didn't inspire me to play it over and over whereas I did that with RE2R many, many times.

There's a lot of challenges and unlockables that require multiple playthroughs, and there is definitely a built in focus on speed running levels

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bumhead posted:

It sounds similar to REmake - a game I consider the best remake of all time for some of the reasons you've highlighted here.

REmake is the only remake of a game I've ever played that truly supersedes the original. It takes nothing away, while adding new content in a smart way that enhances the experience without getting in the way or disrupting the flow of the original product. As well as being one of gaming's most impressive visual glow ups (seriously, they were just 5 years apart?), every addition or change to REmake makes it better.

It's a high bar that no other game has reached for me - certainly not the other Resident Evil remakes (so far) - but it sounds like Dead Space is in that same ballpark.

Yeah RE1 remake is probably the closest analogue to the Dead Space remake around.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Performance wise does it make any real difference for the DS remake to buy it for Xbox series s or PS5?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

oldpainless posted:

Performance wise does it make any real difference for the DS remake to buy it for Xbox series s or PS5?

Apparently not. The PS5 version has really good DualSense effects and probably better 3D headphone sound if those are factors for you. Prior to yesterday the PS5 version had some issues with black levels and anti-aliasing, but they were patched out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The PS5 haptic support is solid. I would go with that

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CommunityEdition posted:

I think this "intensity director" must kick in harder on higher difficulties. I just beat the first DS last year, so my memory of it was fairly fresh, and my first run through the remake on Normal was so familiar to me that it took the overall experience down a couple of notches.

Now I'm replaying on Hard and I'm definitely seeing a few more changes, like sudden smoke-filled hallways or enemies that are just there instead of exploding out of the same vent as usual.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's definitely the kind of game you are supposed to play over and over.

Which means if you aren't a fan of new new new new game+ then you're going to be a bit short. But at the same time I've put less into more expensive games.

thebardyspoon posted:

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's a lot of challenges and unlockables that require multiple playthroughs, and there is definitely a built in focus on speed running levels

Yeah I've played through RE3r a bunch of times. I actually almost prefer it as a quick replay over RE2 because of how straight forward it is.

But I was also the weird kid in the 90s who played through RE1 and RE2 multiple times a week speed running them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've enjoyed the enemy spawns in DS Remake pretty well on Hard. I had a point where I died 3-4 times and each time a different set of enemies spawned in (always 2 tho) and then the last time nothing came which was honestly pretty scary cause of the anticipation I had built up in the last attempts.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

About two months from RE4make, this train doesn't stop!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The re4 remake is going to be loving insane but even it might not be able to take the originals crown

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean. RE4 changed the game for a long time. It would be foolish to expect the same paradigm shift from the remake. It’s still on the rare list of day one buys for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Definitely going to be interesting to see how Capcom handles it, RE4 is the first one where they could conceivably do a 'exact same game but better' like DS1 remake and still have it feel like a modern game. And all the recent RE remakes were missing stuff from the originals but they were also remakes of pre-rendered 2D environment PS1 games.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I haven't played Dead Space OR Resident Evil 4 since they first released, so this is a very exciting time. It's been long enough that the original game would almost feel new, but I get to play the tricked out future versions!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's close to 20 years since I last played Resident Evil 4 so even if the remake changed a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't even remember.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It's close to 20 years since I last played Resident Evil 4 so even if the remake changed a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't even remember.

I was this way with DSR, after playing it a while it became very clear that I've spent the intervening years playing up through medical 20 times and then cutting out to do something else because 95% of the game was new to me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I just checked, the last time I played any version of re4 was back in December 2012 so ten years for me.

The only downside is you have to pay more money for this (versus just replaying the original) but I'd like to support good remakes like this and Dead Space. And the way I see it, is this is probably the only re game we get all year, I'll definitely buy it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

imagine going years on end without doing a RE 4 playthrough smdh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Give me a dino crisis game in the re2make engine. DC2 was probably one of my favorite PS1 games

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I just need a surprise high-quality remake of Clive Barker's Undying to drop in 2023 and it will be my personal perfect year of nostalgic horror gaming.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Eternal Darkness :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

All three of those would be wonderful