Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

what are cloud companies likely to do for the switchover to av1 encoding? just roll their own hardware without using nvidia/amd/intel, or what's the move?

google already spun their own AV1 accelerator silicon for youtube

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-new-video-chip-youtube-support-av1-encoding/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

On device encoding is becoming the rage with the controllers on nvme devices able to do differing levels of encoding/decoding on the fly and in the background. A lot of custom options exist already, it’s pretty neat.

Unrelated but in some of the smart ssd demos I’ve seen they show off a full fledged Linux SoC setup that you can ssh in to to setup your jobs or whatever. What is the process for maintaining those or are enterprise and cloud companies now going to have a bunch of unpatched Linux distros running on their network with direct hardware attachment to sensitive data

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

repiv posted:

google already spun their own AV1 accelerator silicon for youtube

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-new-video-chip-youtube-support-av1-encoding/
iQIYI, Tencent and Alibaba already have their own ASICs, and Intel already has SVT-AV1 (a custom-written assembly-optimized heavily-multithreaded library written for Xeon CPUs) shipped to their big customers.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 31, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

some intel employees are reporting their quarterly bonus numbers, in some cases ranging from $45 to $125. poo poo is roooouuuugggggh over there and intel is lucky tech hiring is down

senior pe getting $200. yeah you ain't retaining anything with those numbers

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 31, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got a net $27 :lol:

Not a new employee either.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got $27 :lol:

Not a new employee either

Roughly, how does that compare to previous bonuses of the same type?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Very very low (being purposely very vague)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

jfc that's bleak

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo.

Overall company performance is figured into my bonus calculation as well but it's only part of it, there's no mathematical possibility to get to $27, wtf is that. It's supposed to motivate, not make everyone quit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
$0 is probably less demotivating.

The only people who should stay there are people who are already at their Peter-Principle position or looking to squeeze out what they can for their career and leave whatever mess behind. That isn't a great look for a company trying to turn itself around.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Lockback posted:

The only people who should stay there are people who are already at their Peter-Principle position or looking to squeeze out what they can for their career and leave whatever mess behind. That isn't a great look for a company trying to turn itself around.
gonna rule when intel seniors are just quiet quitting until the job market bounces back with better alternatives

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lockback posted:

Most other tech companies are laying off like crazy too. The boat to make a large jump in tech was about a year ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Most other tech companies are laying off like crazy too. The boat to make a large jump in tech was about a year ago.

There isn’t exactly a glut of the kinds of engineers Intel has the most of.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

just consider it a direct deposit kudos?!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The one time when a staff wide pizza party might have been more appropriate.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Dunno, it'd be pretty funny to let a bunch of web developers (who from my POV are abstracted away at the point now they may not understand what 1s and 0s are) take a crack at digital logic design.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I knew a lot of bad Intel engineers who had no trouble getting FAANG interviews. Putting things like Intel and PCIe or USB or FW on your resume gets you through a lot of filters and into the hands of a lot of bad managers who are being pressured to close reqs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I knew a lot of bad Intel engineers who had no trouble getting FAANG interviews. Putting things like Intel and PCIe or USB or FW on your resume gets you through a lot of filters and into the hands of a lot of bad managers who are being pressured to close reqs

Right and actual hardware or embedded jobs generally pays less and there are fewer people that have the skill set.

I suspect everyone Intel lays off in the US could get a job in Detroit for example.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

movax posted:

Dunno, it'd be pretty funny to let a bunch of web developers (who from my POV are abstracted away at the point now they may not understand what 1s and 0s are) take a crack at digital logic design.

Nodejs, to get close to the metal

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

in a well actually posted:

Nodejs, to get close to the metal
This post causes physical pain.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

holy poo poo, literal actual pay cuts now too?

get hosed Pat

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 1, 2023

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

Crypto HW is another major category.
This is the one I was aware of. Friend at AMD had a project come through that was like... a bus interface, some basic flow control, then a big part of the floorpan that was marked TOP SECRET DO NOT LOOK. As engineers do, they started figuring out who could be designing that other part and Intel was really the only name that fit. IBM was around but couldn't hide that kind of body count.

WhyteRyce posted:

senior pe getting $200. yeah you ain't retaining anything with those numbers
ahahaha holy poo poo, is this one of those 4-letter ones where it's calculated from some estoeric formula that (used to) spit out a count in days?

jesus

anyway send me y'all's resumes, come work here, lfg

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone cares, im going to attempt to re-encode my video library with av1 on the 770 LE. Wish me luck. I don't game anymore, just do video jazz.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

holy poo poo, literal actual pay cuts now too?

get hosed Pat

I was at the DMV with my daughter taking her driving permit test and the 10 minutes I caught of that left me absolutely loving speechless.
I've never seriously considered jumping jobs since it's something I enjoy and had tons of flexibility, but gently caress that, game on

Intel Fish Bowl comments gonna be lit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was at the DMV with my daughter taking her driving permit test and the 10 minutes I caught of that left me absolutely loving speechless.
I've never seriously considered jumping jobs since it's something I enjoy and had tons of flexibility, but gently caress that, game on

Intel Fish Bowl comments gonna be lit

Blind is already hopping.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

yeah you're going to have a real hard time bouncing back after this

Effective immediately:
- suspend merit increases
- suspend the QPB and QPB+ program
- suspend all employee recognition programs
- reducing company US 401K match from 5% to 2.5%

Effective March 1:
Reducing base compensation for Grade 7 and above exempt employees
- CEO by 25%
- ELT by 15%
- G12+ by 10%
- G7-11 by 5%

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 1, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's funny is they gave just about everyone a pretty decent-sized raise in April of this year in order to "fix" years of being under-paid vs the tech market and having a decade+ of raises coming in under the inflation rate. So much for that!

Dividends? No way, we still have to pay those out to shareholders. To the actual, literal people working on the products, get hosed!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.semianalysis.com/p/intel-cuts-pay-for-employees-to-keep

quote:

Intel Cuts Pay For Employees To Keep Their Quarterly Dividend

Hot off the presses, we have confirmation from multiple employees that Intel is cutting costs tremendously at the expense of their employees. These cuts are broad-based, with employees having their compensation affected. Quarterly pay bonuses are gone, annual bonuses are being paused, 401k match is halved from 5% to 2.5%, merit-based raises are suspended, and there is a pay cut to all employees’ base salary based on grade.

All employees below Principal Engineer, grades 7 to 11, will get a 5% cut, 10% cuts will be instituted for VPs, and the executive leadership team will take a 15% cut, with Pat Gelsinger taking a 25% cut. These cuts hurt even more when we are in an inflationary environment. These cost cuts are, of course, dwarfed by their quarterly dividend, of course, which we have been clamoring for them to cut for over a year.

We are sorry to all employees of Intel about this and hope they can make it through this tough time. Other firms are still hiring despite the macroeconomic conditions, although at a slower pace than before. Intel has to cut costs dramatically due to its immense amount of cash being burned.

In October, we discussed the comprehensive supply chain review that Intel was instituting to cut costs. Since then, Intel has cut an R&D center in Israel, started laying off thousands, cut their RISC-V accelerator program, ended development of networking switches, delayed construction on the Germany Fab, slowed Ohio fab tool orders, and cut capital expenditures by billions.

A small snippet from blind:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah promos used to be easy double digit raises but managers started figuring out they didn’t need to be so generous and also could obfuscate by throwing out pay range quartile nonsense. So yeah now you can find yourself getting a pay cut after getting promoed out of a junior position

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I will say in defense of the dividend, once Intel cuts that then whatever bottom is left of that stock is getting blown out

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man that sucks rear end, goondolences to intel friends.

It’s not all bad in the hardware biz and companies are definitely still keen to hire people with hw experience.

This is probably going to grow the local new AMD site even more!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

priznat posted:

This is probably going to grow the local new AMD site even more!

AMD's client/gaming results today were insanely grim. The server/embedded side was super positive though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cygni posted:

AMD's client/gaming results today were insanely grim. The server/embedded side was super positive though.

Yeah it was quite the whiplash! It’s the server/datacenter side that is growing in my area thankfully. I have no plans on going there I just like having a thriving ecosystem in the area for obvious reasons

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Zil posted:

The one time when a staff wide pizza party might have been more appropriate.

Lmao remember the ice cream socials ??

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lol yeah cut everyone's pay and bonuses, that's surely going to motivate them to turn things around at Intel. I feel sorry for the rank & file, but Intel can get hosed. There's no such thing as 'too big to fail' (a widely debunked myth) as some goon said earlier, the market will decide that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We’ve had $25/head for team quarterly team-building events since I joined in the mid-2000s. It’s never increased the whole time I’ve been here. And they just cut that. Fuckin lol.

I feel like I’m going to get a jelly of the month membership soon.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wet_goods posted:

Lmao remember the ice cream socials ??

My department was always too drat cheap to have them but you’d better drat well believe I knew when they were being held, what time it died down, and when to get leftovers

Always stuck with the lovely melted raspberry sorbet that no one wanted

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
But hey! The supervisor brings in cold pizzas on Fridays and you can wear whatever shirt you like

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SourKraut posted:

Are you talking about the Arizona fab? Because TSMC pivoted to turning it into a leading-edge fab and it's further along than has been publicly indicated.

yea but it's 5nm 2024 right? Intel is going to be on par with them anytime they get intel 4 working on a delivery product, and TSMC taiwan has already moved onto 3nm which is supposed to be the same as intel 4 and also pretty hosed up (enough that N3 is not N3B and the real thing is now N3E). Like both Taiwan and Intel are onto 3nm tier and TSMC Arizona at 5nm is obsolete even if it's ahead of schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
As soon as someone breaches that 1nm barrier, fab process marketing names are going to get even stupider than the barely-adjacent-to-real-measurements ones that they're currently using. I can 100% see marketing people refusing to call something an 800 pm process because 800 is too big a number and will make their tech look twenty years obsolete.