Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

True, it was intended as a buy-and-forget kind of thing due the investments that MSFT etc made in them. It's all spending money anyway, where else am I going to park it, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

movax posted:

Well to be fair, they have been making GBS threads the bed for awhile...

I don't even know whether to consider adding to my position and just giving it 5+ years... too big to fail and all that but man they've had a poo poo run of executive leadership. It's pretty sad.

Interesting thoughts on Intel here: https://www.fabricatedknowledge.com/p/intel-is-the-antithesis-of-smart?utm_medium=email

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can’t I buy a chip that cost 2 bux that does 80% the calculations that a $300 intel chip does?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SOFI is up today... sold a bunch to take an ever so slightly smaller L.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Can’t I buy a chip that cost 2 bux that does 80% the calculations that a $300 intel chip does?

Ehh, I think the $2 cpu is probably 20% of the $300 one. Not 80%.

But yah, the performance increase is not nearly as compelling now. Harder to charge a big premium for the new generation.

Hadlock posted:

Since I was so right about Intel, looking forward to being so right about SoFi someday, too :allears:

Man, congrats today! Nice earnings.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Taking big gains on SOFI, thanks to that one goon who believed and mentioned it a while back

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

movax posted:

SOFI is up today... sold a bunch to take an ever so slightly smaller L.

yup, since I've hated on it so much (since it was in the teens or twenties...) I'll go ahead and acknowledge that it looks like 4.24 will be its low. they still have some upcoming news risk regarding student loan payment restarts/forgiveness, but I somewhat expect some of that risk may go in their favor (e.g. supreme court is full of asshats).

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Gotta say I thought Jan was gonna be a lot more dumpy than it has been.

Going forward amidst all the signs of looming recession, we do have a bullish signal from the Bank of Canada heavily signalling that they think they can possibly get away with no more interest rate hikes.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pmchem posted:

yup, since I've hated on it so much (since it was in the teens or twenties...) I'll go ahead and acknowledge that it looks like 4.24 will be its low. they still have some upcoming news risk regarding student loan payment restarts/forgiveness, but I somewhat expect some of that risk may go in their favor (e.g. supreme court is full of asshats).

I mean, my cost basis for some lots was loving $18, so definitely bathing in the red, but not counting on it getting anywhere back up to that point.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Lighter than my JMIA bags.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

just made a poll thread you guys may have some fun with, please post'n'vote https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023011

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Last two days have really sucked identified breakouts which halted up, came just under my sell limit and then immediately got slammed into the ground.

Alerted MGSM this morning which looked like a pump and dump, not going to chase something up that much and then it triples again. Go figure

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

cirus posted:

Last two days have really sucked identified breakouts which halted up, came just under my sell limit and then immediately got slammed into the ground.

Alerted MGSM this morning which looked like a pump and dump, not going to chase something up that much and then it triples again. Go figure

I saw it was up like 800+% this morning and figured it was a R/S or something. That's nuts.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/dylan522p/status/1620583960970682368?s=20

the CEO was paid $180m last year

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
That's wild. It takes a lot to kill a giant, but drat they're trying.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Jenkl posted:

That's wild. It takes a lot to kill a giant, but drat they're trying.

right?? intel has a lot of talent working for it and its the people who saw startups as too risky and enjoy things like PTO, 401k match, and reasonable benefits. compared to much more chaotic smaller co’s that would probably go up in a poof of smoke one day.

but yeah. be sure to piss those types off as much as possible

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

loving nationalize that strategic asset before they do too much damage

the market cap is only $120b that's pocket change for DoD anyway

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I just got this note from a friend still at Intel:

quote:

* All merit promotions suspended
* QPB suspended
* All employee recognition programs cancelled
* Company 401K match reduced to half
* Base salary reductions for all employee Grade 7 and above.

Dark times ahead. Better to pay that dividend and CEO salary than have employees actually designing products for you.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 1, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

pretty much this, what a disastrous string of executives

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

As a newly-anointed strategically important company, Intel's management has a fiduciary responsibility to liquidate as much of the company as possible as quickly as possible so that the value of the Too Big To Fail backstop can be unlocked for shareholders

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

yes

also we should have nationalized the RIAA during the MP3 craze, the whole industry was only worth ~100mm. Probably sold three times as many dollars in ads writing about it over the years though

raytheon/ti are more defense-aligned I can see them being nationalized further than they already are

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What argument could you have possibly made for nationalizing the RIAA

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hey hey can we keep this at least reasonably close to actually buying and selling securities, and maybe have a separate general business news thread if that's what people are interested in?

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

I'm sure everything's fine...
https://twitter.com/BurryArchive/status/1620574365128720388?s=20&t=0vhr7Vs-xRfZenC6abeLlA

Picked up 1000 more shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @.97/share. Basically Rubric Capital owns around 31 million shares of the company and wants results. Rumours are Mereo turned down buyout options, so Rubric walked into the offices like Tony Soprano holding a baseball bat screaming "Where's my F***ing money!" Rubric stepped in and after the threat of a shareholder vote to remove people from the board of directors, Mereo came to a deal, ensuring Rubric's nominated choices sat on the board. This should be an interesting year for the company... sitting on a good pile of cash with little debt... maybe, maybe...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MetaJew posted:

Dark times ahead. Better to pay that dividend and CEO salary than have employees actually designing products for you.

All of that is bad.
CEO Gelsinger is taking a 25% pay cut (and will remain fabulously wealthy).
Hourly employees will receive no pay cut and say "Thank you Intel" into a microphone to unlock the employee entrance from now on.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Space Fish posted:

All of that is bad.
CEO Gelsinger is taking a 25% pay cut (and will remain fabulously wealthy).
Hourly employees will receive no pay cut and say "Thank you Intel" into a microphone to unlock the employee entrance from now on.

I doubt his real comp- stock options are being stripped. That’s always the case.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the ratings agencies are not impressed with INTC's trajectory

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1620788290982121473?s=20

we need more bond traders around here!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MetaJew posted:

they design products no one wants so maybe not that bad.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The puts I sold on INTC before earnings are actually back to neutral. The stock did drop, but dropped an equivalent amount to the premium on selling the put. "Already priced in" theory looking strong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Getting closer to break even on the 1/24 $10 and $12.5 SoFi calls I bought back in September :sweatdrop:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol wtf is going on, this is nuts

Went small size for some BROS shares earlier today at 36.70 and 37.10

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 1, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

lol wtf is going on, this is nuts

Went small size for some BROS shares earlier today at 36.70 and 37.10

Market likes hawkish powell saying that we're gonna get a couple more hikes

I hedged out some of my longs beforehand, bad move even though he sounds even more negative and uncertain than I thought he would.

edit - we'll see what happens toward close after this "gets digested".

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Sold some puts near the money this week to benefit from earnings volatility on VZ and INTC. Pretty boring dividend stocks that I don't expect to drop much more but wouldn't mind owning if they did.
closed both of these today at good profit due to the inexplicable market rally after JPow did exactly what everyone thought he'd do with interest rates.

VZ puts were sold to open at $1.17 and bought to close today at $0.20
INTC puts were sold at $1.24 and bought to close at $0.54

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Subvisual Haze posted:

closed both of these today at good profit due to the inexplicable market rally after JPow did exactly what everyone thought he'd do with interest rates.

VZ puts were sold to open at $1.17 and bought to close today at $0.20
INTC puts were sold at $1.24 and bought to close at $0.54

If the fed is predictable then that means there is less systemic risk and more of the risk balance is idiosyncratic, so even though the rate hike is in some ways priced in, I feel like I read a paper about this, if I could get through academic paywalls I could probably find it. I'd expect a modest rally anytime the fed does what it's expected to.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

I doubt his real comp- stock options are being stripped. That’s always the case.

Intel cut his stock options a couple months ago already, now has to hit

$74.47/share to receive "performance" based stock options
$148.95/share to receive "outperformance" based stock options

(current price today is $29)

SEC filing for nerds: https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0000050863/000119312522290385/d310344d8k.htm

I'm sure his total comp is still pretty high though

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Agronox posted:

Hey hey can we keep this at least reasonably close to actually buying and selling securities, and maybe have a separate general business news thread if that's what people are interested in?

I looked for this general business news thread for longer than I should admit

where exactly am I supposed to post my FOMC hot takes

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

I looked for this general business news thread for longer than I should admit

where exactly am I supposed to post my FOMC hot takes

realtalk

I kind of view this thread as also the catch all business news thread because that’s the sort of thing you see on market chat news outlets ala bloomberg. the corporate thread seems to be more about people’s personal stories.

however if someone wants to start a general business and finance current events thread — post away and see if you can get some traction! we could reset it quarterly, just to be different from other subforum’s news threads. i like the quarterly idea so much i kinda wanna see this happen! then this thread could focus more closely on securities trading

in the meantime feel free to post fomc hot takes here or in the recession poll thread.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Business news thread would be interesting but what limitations are you going to impose to separate it from the doomsday econ thread (leading question)

Reading the doomsday thread isn't good for your mental health but it does get into the weeds on some weird twitter squabbles that doesn't surface elsewhere and occasionally has some interesting rabbit holes to dive into

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

drat good deal on natural gas going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Business news thread would be interesting but what limitations are you going to impose to separate it from the doomsday econ thread (leading question)

Reading the doomsday thread isn't good for your mental health but it does get into the weeds on some weird twitter squabbles that doesn't surface elsewhere and occasionally has some interesting rabbit holes to dive into

doomsday thread isn't in BFC