Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

gently caress, 90% of IHEARTRADIO podcast ads could just as easily be dropped into a parody game without any editing.

Out of all the podcasts I listen to, I'd happily pay Behind the Bastards for ad-free if it were an option.

HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE SHADOW MEN!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Snuffman posted:

Out of all the podcasts I listen to, I'd happily pay Behind the Bastards for ad-free if it were an option.

HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE SHADOW MEN!?
Same. Robert has said it won’t happen though, because he never wants people to have to pay for Cool Zone’s shows, and it’s not at all clear (at least to me) whether iHeart would even allow it. So yeah, bring on the “Hi! It’s Meghan Trainor! Remember me?? I’ve got a podcast now!” horrors I guess.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Its become so bad I can't loving listen to it as just a thing to have on in the background because I need to be able to get to a skip button.

Also if you listen in the first hour the episode is up the servers usually gently caress the ads up pretty bad, last episode I got about 10 minutes of the episode just repeating, like I went back literally 5 minutes.

The real bastards ARE the products and services that support the podcasts.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Every now and then spotify's ad inserter breaks and I'll get the midepisode music letting me know to alt tab back over to it so I can hit skip15 a few times, and it immediately plays the adbreak-over musical sting. Those day are good days, same as the Gold advertisements

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Same. Robert has said it won’t happen though, because he never wants people to have to pay for Cool Zone’s shows, and it’s not at all clear (at least to me) whether iHeart would even allow it. So yeah, bring on the “Hi! It’s Meghan Trainor! Remember me?? I’ve got a podcast now!” horrors I guess.

I assume it's an iHeart thing, because there's plenty of Podcasts out there that have an free-ad-supported version and a pay-ad-free version.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

For some strange reason, I have gotten multiple eps where all the ad breaks play the same two Country music podcasts from the "Mississipi Podcast Network" ads. I live in NORWAY.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Dango Bango posted:

...even murder :aaa:

They're worse than the "I started my own podcast" Spreaker(?) ads

Why not both? I've had "start your own podcast" ads done by true crime podcasters.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Zeniel posted:

Why not both? I've had "start your own podcast" ads done by true crime podcasters.

Let's crowdfund a PSA to run immediately after that ad asking people to please NOT start their own true crime podcast. We have enough thanks

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
But but I need to know how this hand writing analyisis expert is going to help crack this unsolved murder case! Ghosts are ubdoubtedly involved. Maybe airing my own crackpot theorys of a persons guilt might get some random listeners to start harassing the person I've pointed to or try to befriend the close people who knew the victim. Im a private duhtective!

I like the ads that are just people trying to start a podcast based on their personalities alone and just assume the format will write itself. The people are always insufferable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zeniel posted:

But but I need to know how this hand writing analyisis expert is going to help crack this unsolved murder case! Ghosts are ubdoubtedly involved. Maybe airing my own crackpot theorys of a persons guilt might get some random listeners to start harassing the person I've pointed to or try to befriend the close people who knew the victim. Im a private duhtective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp7pvO6ZWP0

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Since I started using a VPN on my phone all my ads are for yacht rentals, private plane rentals, private island rentals, finance management, and the city of Columbus, Ohio. I have no complaints.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

... Busted while recovering from Brazilian butt lift surgery!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I will never get over the time I was listening to an episode while working and one ad played repeatedly the whole time for some vibrator endorsed by a celebrity. Every time it was basically me getting hit with "how's your sex life?" like in the Room.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
In the BtB sub, someone posted about the ad issue today. Robert commented and said there will be a way to listen ad-free soon: https://www.reddit.com/r/behindthebastards/comments/107oipv/comment/j3nxjrb/

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
one of the true crime ads stood out to me as particularly tasteless and brazenly excited about wanting us to tune for all the juicy and gruesome crimes almost like it was announcing a slasher flic.

Never got into true crime stuff involving murders and stuff, the true crime that piques my interest is stuff like cons, heists etc...

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

The only true crime I care about is drug dealing.
To me.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

In the BtB sub, someone posted about the ad issue today. Robert commented and said there will be a way to listen ad-free soon: https://www.reddit.com/r/behindthebastards/comments/107oipv/comment/j3nxjrb/

Lol the exact same true crime ad that's been driving me nuts is the one that OP mentions

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I got the same ad for "wealth protection kits" maybe six times over the course of both Jordan Peterson episodes last week. It was simultaneously very much on-brand for Evans' style of cheerful doomerism and an audible scam targeting scared boomers.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I used to get only two rotating ads on every iHeart thing I listened to, one was to consider adopting older underprivileged children, from the US department of human services, and one for some committee to end school shootings

Which I weird because I'm Australian, now it's all just podcast ads

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The new 2 parter this week was pretty nuts. I had no idea there was someone that cribbed that heavily from Scientology and is also somehow still alive.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If you saw the glowing tribute to the early 80’s that was The Americans there are some ‘fun’ EST appearances.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Raul Julia nooo! :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

These episodes about Andrew Tate are sure something

This guy is extremely open about doing crimes and telling other people to do crimes to get rich and then just pay lawyers to make your problems go away

That's on top of the creepy sex trafficking and rape stuff

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

FlamingLiberal posted:

These episodes about Andrew Tate are sure something

This guy is extremely open about doing crimes and telling other people to do crimes to get rich and then just pay lawyers to make your problems go away

That's on top of the creepy sex trafficking and rape stuff

Sounds like this Tate character might be... A bit of a Bastard!!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I feel odd saying Ceaușescu is my favorite dictator? Certainly the most interesting but I find stan culture surrounding no poo poo murderers to be just a hint tasteless.

But holy poo poo I’m hyped for this episode, what a loving weird dude. Him, not Joey Jo-Jo Stalindoo, was what made a younger me realize “oh wait the left can be up it’s own rear end about authority too! And boy in some hosed up ways!”

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Adam Something was a guest on Well There's Your Problem for an episode on his infrastructure projects. Certainly an interesting couple (Mrs. was a character too)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
What was that bullshit on having made the wrong choice going for the Sega Genesis?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did anyone else get nonstop gold ads during the last 2 Andrew Tate episodes and this ceaucescue episode? The company is shady as gently caress and is advertising itself through a phone number, not with a website or even the company name, and they are selling"wealth protection kits" to avoid the upcoming economic apocalypse

The gently caress

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

rotinaj posted:

Did anyone else get nonstop gold ads during the last 2 Andrew Tate episodes and this ceaucescue episode? The company is shady as gently caress and is advertising itself through a phone number, not with a website or even the company name, and they are selling"wealth protection kits" to avoid the upcoming economic apocalypse

The gently caress

I never had anything else but podcast commercials on btb. That’s probably because I’m from Europe and they don’t have any products that sell over here. It’s increasingly shittier podcasts, but still less bad than shady gold companies or something I guess.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

rotinaj posted:

The gently caress

The “buy gold” ads have been in pretty heavy rotation for a while now. They make fun of those ads every few shows or so, it’s just one of those things they can’t control.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’ve been listening to episodes of the Behind the Police and Insurrections miniseries on Spotify, and there’s been some fucky ad-cuts where someone gets cut off mid sentence for unannounced ads, they resume where it left off, and then a few minutes later the regular ad break happens.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't think I've run into those mid-sentence ads with BtB, but I get them all the time listening to Opening Arguments and they're infuriating.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1615447678493818881?t=vgE40q4aneF1R5oSr5iyvw&s=19

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Odd, i never got them before these past few episodes. But hey, if it is a known thing, so be it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I like that in mid-November or so, the gold ads began to open with “frustrated that we didn’t get the red wave we were promised?”

Regalingualius posted:

I’ve been listening to episodes of the Behind the Police and Insurrections miniseries on Spotify, and there’s been some fucky ad-cuts where someone gets cut off mid sentence for unannounced ads, they resume where it left off, and then a few minutes later the regular ad break happens.
This might be a Spotify thing? I listen on Overcast and can’t recall mid-sentence ads.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Im in northern europe and i only get ads for other podcasts. I used to get PSA ads too but not since a long time. Some more annoying than others (with the least annoying being the ad for stuff you should know podcast).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The "Frosted Tips with Lance Bass" ad has reawakened the burning hatred I had for boy bands back in the 90s.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

I thought he was leaning into it with all the gun/knife chat. The venn diagram of people with large knife collections and people who think going off the gold standard was a big problem is not two disjoint circles.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

twerking on the railroad posted:

I thought he was leaning into it with all the gun/knife chat. The venn diagram of people with large knife collections and people who think going off the gold standard was a big problem is not two disjoint circles.

No, that's just Robert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I’m glad they covered how Tate and other awful people raise their profile by deliberately saying outrageous things and then reaping the attention of the media/internet. It reminds me of an interview Dan from Knowledge Fight did on Decoding the Gurus. He was saying that internet dunk culture is very good for Alex Jones because tons of people share Alex’s stuff and say “look at this loving clown!” And the vast majority of people agree that he’s a loving clown, and the sharer gets their dopamine from all the likes, but then just a few % of people go “hmmm, this guy actually sounds interesting, I should check out his site.” No such thing as bad publicity etc.

There’s no real defense against it either. People aren’t not going to share outrageous stuff, because it’s good for the sharer to do so. Hell, I had never heard of a few apparently super-famous people (Logan Paul, The Liver King, Tate) until their scandals broke or they got busted, because then virtually all the content creators I follow were making videos about them in order to get views from all the controversy.

The click/view-based economy is one of the worst things to happen to humanity.