Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

cailleask posted:

I found these exercises to be really useful when I needed to move my son into position. He was cocked sideways and wouldn’t engage, and then after a week of doing the circuit… he did. https://www.spinningbabies.com/pregnancy-birth/baby-position/breech/flip-a-breech/

Hey, this worked!

We we’re scheduled for an eversion? I think it’s called? A manual manipulation to get the baby out of breech which is supposedly extremely uncomfortable. Before they did anything, they did an ultrasound and she flipped on her own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’m so glad to hear it!! Good luck with delivery!

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
That's awesome!

I got an external version (where they try to turn the baby from the outside) and while I do hear it can be extremely uncomfortable, they gave me fentanyl and I cheered them on the entire time. I knew someone from my prenatal group who also got one and she for some reason was not offered any pain relief. I don't know what goes into that decision as I'm not familiar with her medical history, but I have read that the odds of success improve dramatically with pain relief (presumably because the pregnant person is more relaxed and cooperative). Given the research I imagine it is standard practice to offer pain relief.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Wow, I was told pain relief was pretty standard. It wasn't an issue for me with my last pregnancy but iirc they told me if the baby was breech they'd use an epidural because if it failed they'd have to go straight to the c section. Idk how accurate that is, it might have come from my birth class which was of questionable usefulness.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The nurses were chatting with us and said one doctor doesnt offer any pain relief, no epidural no nothing and the procedure always fails with them. We go a large hospital and they said they only do 3 or 4 a month, so they seem pretty uncommon, maybe there just isn’t a standardized procedure?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I've never heard that they'd offer pain relief here for breech manipulation, only something to stop possible contractions.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

37 weeks. I feel enormous. I'm sick of going to work. I'm feeling so impatient!!!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

The nurses were chatting with us and said one doctor doesnt offer any pain relief, no epidural no nothing and the procedure always fails with them. We go a large hospital and they said they only do 3 or 4 a month, so they seem pretty uncommon, maybe there just isn’t a standardized procedure?

My wife recently gave birth and I feel like a lot of stuff isn’t super standardized. Like you’d ask a different doctor or different nurse and you’d get a different answer. For example, nobody agreed on what size nipple shield my wife should use for the pump. One nurse would say “those look too small try the bigger ones”, then the next nurse is like “yo those look too big try the smaller ones”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This part of parenthood is very messy

Focus on "is my wife/child ok/happy"

Nursing is messy messy business, there's a reason why there's an entire profession dedicated to this

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Eeyo posted:

My wife recently gave birth and I feel like a lot of stuff isn’t super standardized. Like you’d ask a different doctor or different nurse and you’d get a different answer. For example, nobody agreed on what size nipple shield my wife should use for the pump. One nurse would say “those look too small try the bigger ones”, then the next nurse is like “yo those look too big try the smaller ones”

Every single midwife that came in to check on us with our firstborn in hospital had different opinions on literally everything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was 0% impressed with the milk nursing consultant at the hospital

I found the maternity ward nursing staff infinitely more useful

Don't be afraid to fire your staff, the nurses there know more than you ever will

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tamarillo posted:

Every single midwife that came in to check on us with our firstborn in hospital had different opinions on literally everything.

same here. It can be extremely frustrating. Even worse they often got upset when we told the advice another midwife or lactation consultant gave us.

The best bits of advice/perspective we got were:

• Your baby is terrible at everything. Even eating. They're bad at it and they get better as they practice. You can drive yourself mad looking for a diagnosis when the baseline includes their natural and normal crappiness.

• People tear their hair out trying to do things that distract from the one and only thing that matters: a fed baby. That's the only goal. Offer the breast, but also offer formula and don't look back.

• Try lots of things and be prepared to abandon them or adjust them a week to three weeks later. Nipple shields, all of the holds, pulling the kid's mouth open to latch, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

same we got were:

• People tear their hair out trying to do things that distract from the one and only thing that matters: a fed baby. That's the only goal. Offer the breast, but also offer formula and don't look back.

• Try lots of things and be prepared to abandon them or adjust them a week to three weeks later. Nipple shields, all of the holds, pulling the kid's mouth open to latch, etc.

Wise advice

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For our first kid my wife tried to breastfeed but it just was not working. The nurses at the hospital made her feel really bad about it, like she must just be doing something wrong even though it had nothing to do with how she was trying to get the baby to latch or do any of that. We finally, about 2 weeks of very frustrating time later, got a lactation consultant outside of the hospital to say her milk just wasn't really coming in and it probably wasn't going to work and we should just do formula. Things were a million times better after that.

Baby 2 is due in April and my wife is already getting poo poo from medical staff about breastfeeding. She wants to try but I am 99% sure its just not going to work again. People are super pushy about it. Even her mom gives her guilt about not breast feeding. Its pretty ridiculous and frustrating. A big part of me wishes she wouldn't event try this time around and just go straight to formula.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

My wife and I had our kid a month ago after a planned C-section. Which, with the exception of the Dr who performed it, everyone was super confused and kinda judgy when they found out she wasn't doing it natural because she just didn't want to. And I'll add that every nurse gave us different advice on everything which is pretty frustrating.

(Our doctor just came in and went "I'm so impressed you know what you want and stood firm on getting a C-section", which was super awesome)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Went for a prenatal checkup, have preeclampsia. Got admitted to the hospital for an induction. They said I'll have the baby in the next 3 days or so.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

poo poo must be going around or something drat. My wife got pre-eclampsia as well. She had it “without severe symptoms” at first but it developed to severe and the start of HELLP syndrome after like 5 days.

When we came to the hospital the 3rd time they were talking about inducing her immediately, but the OB did an ultrasound and it turned out our boy was breech, so straight to emergency c-section!

She’s also had post-partum hypertension for like a month too, so she’s drawn a really bad hand with her pregnancy.

Wishing the best for you and your kid too! I know it’s tough, but I’m sure you and the kid will do well.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 7, 2023

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you and congratulations!

Yes I agree there must be something going around. After a very fast induction, and 5 hours of pushing, my baby failed to descend, her heart rate was going crazy, and I was starting to get an infection with fever, so immediate C-section for me too.

Our baby was born at 4:19 AM and is named Ayelet (gazelle in Hebrew). I've been calling her Aya, rhyming with Maya. Everyone is fine but very tired.

I think I told the anesthesiologists that time is an illusion and everything is happening all at once...

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

duck trucker posted:

My wife and I had our kid a month ago after a planned C-section. Which, with the exception of the Dr who performed it, everyone was super confused and kinda judgy when they found out she wasn't doing it natural because she just didn't want to. And I'll add that every nurse gave us different advice on everything which is pretty frustrating.

(Our doctor just came in and went "I'm so impressed you know what you want and stood firm on getting a C-section", which was super awesome)

I'm mostly just bemused you can just order a C-section like that. My baby was huge and I wanted just an induction (let alone c-section) at 40 weeks to prevent macrosomia-related complications and I got told to jog on by every single medical professional involved in my care, went overdue by 8 days and then ended up having an emergency c-section from macrosomia-related complications.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

nesbit37 posted:

For our first kid my wife tried to breastfeed but it just was not working. The nurses at the hospital made her feel really bad about it, like she must just be doing something wrong even though it had nothing to do with how she was trying to get the baby to latch or do any of that. We finally, about 2 weeks of very frustrating time later, got a lactation consultant outside of the hospital to say her milk just wasn't really coming in and it probably wasn't going to work and we should just do formula. Things were a million times better after that.

Baby 2 is due in April and my wife is already getting poo poo from medical staff about breastfeeding. She wants to try but I am 99% sure its just not going to work again. People are super pushy about it. Even her mom gives her guilt about not breast feeding. Its pretty ridiculous and frustrating. A big part of me wishes she wouldn't event try this time around and just go straight to formula.

Best of luck to you. I hope she is able to breastfeed if that's what she wants to do, and gets nothing but support if it doesn't work and she goes to formula. The only thing that matters is that the kid gets fed. That point gets so lost in the ridiculous "breast is best" dogma.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

boquiabierta posted:

Best of luck to you. I hope she is able to breastfeed if that's what she wants to do, and gets nothing but support if it doesn't work and she goes to formula. The only thing that matters is that the kid gets fed. That point gets so lost in the ridiculous "breast is best" dogma.

Which is some weirdly feminist and yet anti-woman crusade that nurses and some doctors are on. Fed baby is best baby.

It's like the in-rooming trend where there's huge pressure to not put the baby in the hospital nursery at all. This means that the new parents, especially after c-section, are getting basically zero sleep for the first 2-4 nights, then getting bounced home to get zero sleep. We had a great nurse the first night who was like "you guys need a few hours of sleep, let me bring your child to the empty nursery for the first sleep of the night". It made a huge difference because we both got a few hours of uninterrupted sleep and were more functional the next day for the dozen doctor visits and newborn bonding.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

IT'S TOTALLY LIKE THE ROOMING-IN TREND.

I was a postpartum nurse for a few years in a "baby friendly" (I hate that term sooooo much) hospital. We had a nursery, but were supposed to discourage its use at all costs and strongly promote rooming in. The rationale given was "they won't have a nursery at home, they need to get used to it" which is true but couldn't you also say because they won't have a nursery at home, they should get to take advantage of the opportunity while they have it?!

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Yeah, I had a small breakdown in hospital after the c-section birth of my first. He was born just after midnight. I'd sent my husband home, because the room had nowhere for him to sleep except a wooden chair, but they still left my son in his bassinet with me. I managed to drift off at some point but my son started crying, which startled me awake, and the hospital was crazy busy so they were behind on my pain meds, & I couldn't reach him from my bed. I just ended up crying hysterically until a very kind nurse came, calmed down my son, and then gave ME a hug and calmed me down. We called my husband back, my son went to the nursery, and the nurse put a sign on the door that said DO NOT DISTURB.

A few years later, when my daughter was born, we sent her over to the nursery for a few hours with absolutely no regrets.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I didn't have a choice in the matter after my c-section; he spent the first 24 hours in the NICU. We otherwise would've kept him in the room the entire time just out of a sense of obligation, but once he was out of the woods (he could fully breathe on his own and ate a bit about 8 hours after birth), we realized that we really needed the rest anyway. For kid #2, I'd definitely use the nursery for at least a little while.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

OTOH I gave birth twice in Spain and there just isn't a nursery here at all, it's just not a thing. Also they didn't seem to care at all about me sleeping with the baby (in the US where i worked postpartum we flipped the gently caress out if we found the baby in bed with sleeping mom) and they also didn't really care about me taking my meds from home (another thing we would've flipped out about) but they did really care about me not burning my perineum with too many padsicles. Which was THE WORST because all I wanted was ice ice baby. weird cultural differences.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
We didn't use the nursery with our first but there was a padded bench for my husband to sleep on that seemed OK, and we made sure to bring pillows for him, so we were able to alternate sleeping somewhat. We'll see how it goes with #2 though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Emily Spinach posted:

We didn't use the nursery with our first but there was a padded bench for my husband to sleep on that seemed OK, and we made sure to bring pillows for him, so we were able to alternate sleeping somewhat. We'll see how it goes with #2 though.

I had a fold-out chair/bed thing. I'm 6'2", 230#. After night #2, I was just about done with that thing. Better than a chair, for sure, but still super uncomfortable.

boquiabierta posted:

IT'S TOTALLY LIKE THE ROOMING-IN TREND.

I was a postpartum nurse for a few years in a "baby friendly" (I hate that term sooooo much) hospital. We had a nursery, but were supposed to discourage its use at all costs and strongly promote rooming in. The rationale given was "they won't have a nursery at home, they need to get used to it" which is true but couldn't you also say because they won't have a nursery at home, they should get to take advantage of the opportunity while they have it?!
Seriously. The cynical part of me means the hospitals are pushing it because they can cut night time staffing and use the nursery for other stuff once it "isn't getting used, no idea why"

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
If I ever have another baby, I am absolutely taking advantage of the nursery straight away. I held out with my daughter and only sent her to the nursery once. The sleep deprivation was the worst thing for my mental health.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We used the nursery for about 8 hours, I think two 4 hour periods. There's a lot going on and sometimes you need to sleep, or just an hour to think and absorb what's going on. Highly recommend

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I am amazed that it was even an option for people to have the baby taken to the nursery. I think I posted in here before (or maybe the parenting thread) but, my wife was induced 3 weeks early and had a C-section after 2 days of contractions (no dilation so didn't have a lot of choice) and so was super exhausted. Hospital pushed breastfeeding really hard but she had nothing to give so finally gave us formula after I asked (after a day). In retrospect having the baby in the nursery overnight (assuming that would have been an option) would have been fantastic after her c-section. Then of course on day 2 they asked if we'd like to go home. She could have probably used another day in just for pain management but we were unhappy and said yes, we'd love to go home. Well, as long as the OB was good with it (she was).

Icing on the cake was that our pediatrician told us at our first visit that the hospital is extremely-pro-breastfeeding and won't give any formula unless you specifically ask. Would have saved us a lot of grief that first night.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hannibal posted:

on day 2 they asked if we'd like to go home. She could have probably used another day in just for pain management but

I think we're going to push for another day or two in the maternity ward for baby #2

My good buddy just had their baby I was surprised they went home after only ~72 hours. I felt cheated at only 3 days. I think wife was on pain killers another 5-6 days after that. Definitely could have gone another 24-36 hours there before being released into the wild as new parents

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I wasn’t in the hospital even a full 24 hours with my second - I went in at 6pm, had a baby an hour later, and was home by dinner the next day. I guess they needed the room? I was ready to leave anyways for my way more comfortable bed and my poor older kid. USA healthcare!!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm sure they cost a bajillion dollars in the US but going to a post-partum center for 2 weeks after 4 days in the hospital was great for my wife and gave us time to prepare for the entire going home process. It would have been nicer before the covid protocols (no family was allowed in, most mommy extracurriculars. we're cancelled) but they helped teach my wife how to feed, how to pump, how to swaddle, how to give the baby a bath, everything. Although by the end of two weeks we had only had the baby in the room twice - instead they have a camera set up in the nursery for you to watch them on tv. Absolutely worth it to pay for peace of mind.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Tamarillo posted:

I'm mostly just bemused you can just order a C-section like that.

In a perfect world it would have been but it took numerous doctor visits insisting on it, and I believe for insurance it was listed as necessary due to "anxiety". Our son was almost 7 lbs and my wife is very tiny, so if we had waited until her contractions began they more than likely would have had to do one anyway due to his size.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

duck trucker posted:

In a perfect world it would have been but it took numerous doctor visits insisting on it, and I believe for insurance it was listed as necessary due to "anxiety". Our son was almost 7 lbs and my wife is very tiny, so if we had waited until her contractions began they more than likely would have had to do one anyway due to his size.

… who told you that?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I knew on an objective level I'd get hungrier, but good grief, the h u n g e r :stare:

I really need to work out some healthier snacks, coz currently I'm gravitating to junk food and feeling gross after.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm sure they cost a bajillion dollars in the US but going to a post-partum center for 2 weeks after 4 days in the hospital was great for my wife and gave us time to prepare for the entire going home process. It would have been nicer before the covid protocols (no family was allowed in, most mommy extracurriculars. we're cancelled) but they helped teach my wife how to feed, how to pump, how to swaddle, how to give the baby a bath, everything. Although by the end of two weeks we had only had the baby in the room twice - instead they have a camera set up in the nursery for you to watch them on tv. Absolutely worth it to pay for peace of mind.

hang on you spent 2 weeks in the hospital after birth and only got to see the baby twice in that time?

we've been working toward this baby for years now... forget US healthcare costs, they couldn't pay me to put up with that poo poo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Baby was twice in the room, everything was stricter because of covid protocols. We did have viewing into the baby pen three times a day.

The original idea comes from "sitting the month" in Chinese culture which has kinda turned into a big industry.

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/20/138536998/for-chinese-moms-birth-means-30-days-in-pajamas

All together for the birth and two weeks instead of the full month it was 4,000 USD?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

How does that work with breastfeeding?

Here the local birthing hospital has a pretty sweet set-up with a hotel nearby - they have a whole floor of hotel rooms equipped with baby gear for patients. If you have no complications, they transfer you there and you can stay as a family for a few days after birth, with midwives and nurses on call 24/7. You can grab breakfast, lunch and dinner from the restaurant downstairs. Staying is free, I think the only cost is dad/birthing partner needing to pay for their own meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

froglet posted:

Sigh. So I've had some ongoing anxiety I've been working on in therapy, and it seems like all the hormones have dialled that up to 11. It's not that there was anything particularly new in the melting pot of angst, it's that it drowned out everything else to the point I nearly avoided Christmas with my family.

I feel mostly okay now, but the worry is that it may happen again. So my GP's referred me to a maternity mental health unit and I've started some medication.

I know it's going to be okay, and the medication is safe for the little bean, aaand yet it still sucks (having such a setback after making so much progress over the past couple of years seems totally unfair, dammit :argh:). However, it stung a bit less when the GP asked me if there had been any stressors in the past year and I was suddenly reminded that yes, I have, I just hadn't written them down in a list like she was writing, so I suppose all this isn't too surprising.

So an update on this - things got better. They truly did. I'm glad I reached out when I did, even though I had started feeling a lot better by the time I finally saw my GP because some of the main stressors (particularly Christmas) had passed.

I was referred to a maternity psych, I've met with her twice and it's going well. I don't really notice anything the meds have done, but I think I'm more positive and upbeat in general.

Meanwhile, I've started feeling the little bean move, which is weird. And people have been asking me if we've organised a crib and all that for the bub, and hopefully I'm not the only one who is 19 weeks in and has done very little!

Oh well, onward and upward.