Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Does troubleshooter ever stop being incredibly slow. Getting through the first few missions is agonizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Does troubleshooter ever stop being incredibly slow. Getting through the first few missions is agonizing.

No.
Game's pretty good otherwise but I stopped playing eventually because of the pacing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

explosivo posted:

I played so much Fight Night back in the day I got blisters on my thumbs, if undisputed is supposed to be a new one of those I'm very down with that.

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about Fight Night, but that was one of my college games. God drat Fight Night was amazing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i just got hit by this, p weird

An insane fix for this that worked for me: from the friends dropdown at the top of the steam client, set your status to invisible, then offline, then invisible again. friends should load properly at that point and you can set to online from there.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

explosivo posted:

I played so much Fight Night back in the day I got blisters on my thumbs, if undisputed is supposed to be a new one of those I'm very down with that.

It might be akin to how some folks took to PGA Tour 2k21 when that hit.

I wanna wait til it shakes out a bit more so I get a fresh check to blow on it indiscriminately I can see what I'd be getting into before buying.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Can you respec your characters?

Yeah, you can respec at any time. Eventually you’ll want at least a couple different builds saved, to deal with different opponents and scenarios.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Time for some February games. You got one month off from the craziness, but it's about to pop off ALREADY this year.

Rhythm Sprout - Feb 1 - Rhythm jogging, played the demo and the tunes were very good.

Deliver Us Mars - Feb 2 - Sequel to Deliver Us the Moon, which was a mix of walking sim/puzzle narrative game.

Interference: Dead Air - Feb 2 - First person narrative game where you play a security guard working the night shift at a mysterious facility and have to help people inside when all hell breaks loose.

Trackmania - Feb 2 - It's Trackmania.

Tails: the Backbone Preludes - Feb 2 - Prequel to Backbone, taking more of a CYOA slant, where you guide 4 different characters through events that lead up to the original game. Promises branching dialogs and choices, double the wordcount of the original game, and randomized events.

Perish - Feb 2 - Another retro-y FPS but with a more modernized look.

Yggdra Union - Feb 6 - The visual chaos you see above is the unique brand of GBA game developer Sting, who also developed Knights in the Nightmare and Riviera: the Promised Land (they also have an extensive portfolio outside the GBA, like the infamous Baroque!). What makes their GBA games unique is their genre blending and overstylized UIs, this one combining the tactic RPG with cards (look it was a lot more novel back then). Will include rewind, auto-save, conversation log, battle speed options and other amenities.

Wanted: Dead - Feb 13 - Some janky AA goodness from the former dev team of.... Devil's Third. It honestly looks kind of quirky and interesting, and I don't mean like how Devil's Third looked. (Also Devil's Third looked like a PS2 game held together with gum and this looks more competently put together.) Should be a fun 7/10 game.

Labryinth of Galleria - Feb 14 - Eyyy it's the sequel to that game we were just talking about with the horny boss. I have no idea what the horny level on this one is. But it's another for the Wizardry pile.

Blanc - Feb 14 - Narrative co-op game about a wolf cub and fawn trying to survive in the wilderness. Looks beautiful.

Returnal - Feb 15 - Housemarque's biggest game to date, and one of three remaining PS5 exclusives, remains exclusive, no longer.

Pharaoh: A New Era - Feb 15 - 4K glow-up of the classic city builder.

Wild Hearts - Feb 16 - Here's an EA and Koei Tecmo two-hander trying to take on the Monster Hunting genre. Should be on Gamepass since it's EA.

Elderand - Feb 16 - It's the year of the Metroidvania, and Elderand is one of the first to usher the year in, but it certainly won't be the last.

Atomic Heart - Feb 20 - The Russian Bioshock that has been long awaited is nearly here, and we'll finally find out if it lives up to the original trailer or is another example of AAA marketing overhype. Will be on Gamepass so it'll be painless to give it a shot.

Like A Dragon: Ishin - Feb 21 - All the world's a stage, and on this stage, the Yakuza characters play the roles of people in 1860s Kyo, at the end of the samurai era.

Company of Heroes 3 - Feb 23 - As someone who doesn't play RTS, all the games look the same to me. But it seems like this is a big release. So here you go.

Grim Guardians: Demon Purge - Feb 23 - Inti Creates (Bloodstained 2D, Blaster Master Zero) offers a more GBA-style take on Castlevania, complete with Jonathan/Charlotte-style character swapping. Starring characters from... nothing! They're from nothing at all. They're not from any other game.

Sons of the Forest - Feb 23 - Sequel to horror-tinged survival game The Forest. Not sure why the man in this screenshot is being mean to turtles. They're humanity's best friends.

Clive N Wrench - Feb 24 - A Rare-style 3D platformer with... okay I can't really say I like the character designs, they're super generic. But I'm always up for a 3D platformer if it's competently made.

Octopath Traveler 2 - Feb 24 - The originator of the HD-2D style that now seems to be all over 2D gaming returns, promising SOME inter-party interactivity in the form of "Crossed Path" chapters that involve two characters working together.

Kerbal Space Program 2 - Feb 24 - (Early Access) Space race idiocy is back. Not sure what this one brings to the table vs the original but the original did come out in 2015 so a sequel was overdue, I guess.

Scars Above - Feb 28 - Third person sci-fi action-adventure. Some goons had positive experiences from the Next Fest demo. This game is from, of all things, the developer of edgy hidden object adventure Adam Wolfe. Quite a step up from that.

Dungeons of Aether - Feb 28 - Roguelite dungeon crawler in the Rivals of Aether universe. The art looks nice but I probably won't play it.

Your Turn to Die: Death Game by Majority - Feb 28? - Somewhat popular Danganronpa-inspired indie VN that's slowly been going through english localization. People who have played it say it's better than the art makes it seem. I'm skeptical.

Other interesting games this month: Book of Demons: Hellcard, Arto, Blood Bowl 3, Birth, Your Only Move is Hustle, Corpse Keeper, Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners Season 2 (VR)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hi-Fi Rush is extremely frustrating, because all of it's separate parts are extremely my poo poo. Overstylized art, musical focus, character action combat. All the good poo poo I love.
I really want to like this game but I'm just not having any fun with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Wanted: Dead - Feb 13 - Some janky AA goodness from the former dev team of.... Devil's Third. It honestly looks kind of quirky and interesting, and I don't mean like how Devil's Third looked. (Also Devil's Third looked like a PS2 game held together with gum and this looks more competently put together.) Should be a fun 7/10 game.

I've been keeping an eye on this and it's going to be either the best dumbest poo poo or the worst dumbest poo poo. Can't wait to find out which.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fingers crossed wild hearts turns out well, I really like the visual design and there's definitely room in the market for a good monster hunter ripoff right now. this year is looking extremely strong and this is the first release I'm excited for. Hopefully GMG will have it for less than steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvvUYWhwdQ

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The 7th Guest posted:

Labryinth of Galleria - Feb 14 - Eyyy it's the sequel to that game we were just talking about with the horny boss. I have no idea what the horny level on this one is. But it's another for the Wizardry pile.
My experience with anime-esque Wizardry clones has taught me what I really want is an anime-esque Wizardry clone that's like a third as long as they think it should be.

Etrian Odyssey, but it's over in 20-30 hours.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

An insane fix for this that worked for me: from the friends dropdown at the top of the steam client, set your status to invisible, then offline, then invisible again. friends should load properly at that point and you can set to online from there.
thanks for the tip! why did that work :psyduck:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm weirdly excited for Returnal. On one hand I'm kind of hype for it because people talk about it like it's something incredible and a lot of what I hear makes it sound like it's up my alley. On the other hand I hate both bullet hells and housemarque games so I'm fully expecting to bounce hard off of it within 5 minutes :v:

Jack Trades posted:

No.
Game's pretty good otherwise but I stopped playing eventually because of the pacing.

And yeah this is how I feel about Troubleshooter, too. There's a lot about it that I know I'd love but I gave up after 3 missions or so because I couldn't stand how much dialog there was, not just the massive walls of text between missions but the plodding, slow, dialog-heavy cutscenes in-mission. And those missions felt very puzzle-y instead of tactical-strategy-y

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 1, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Bad Seafood posted:

My experience with anime-esque Wizardry clones has taught me what I really want is an anime-esque Wizardry clone that's like a third as long as they think it should be.

Etrian Odyssey, but it's over in 20-30 hours.

If it helps, those games have really weird mechanics!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sway Grunt posted:

Coincidentally I just started this today after buying it in the winter sale. Put in five hours so far and I 100% co-sign everything, it's just fantastic. I could almost instantly tell it was one of those rare titles, so immediately captivating that it reminds you how good games can be. The combat is janky for sure but it works, and even as someone who generally hates fighting flying enemies I've been having fun with it.

I'm done for today having just come back from the Nokkpond but I really hope it stays this good.

enjoy, it's an amazing game :cheers:

nokkpond might be my favourite part though there's a lot of competition.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The combat really is something else. You think you're doing something wrong, the game can't possibly be expecting you to do that, but sure enough, that's exactly what it wants you to do. And after you've shown you can do it, how about doing it while dancing on a tight rope above instant death and stuff is shooting at you. Yeah.

It also has some of the most memorable moments and OST in a video game I've played in the past 10 years. Even linking what they are is kind of ruins it since the music transitions hit you much out of nowhere as much as the gameplay itself.

it really is. i kinda can't believe the game gets away with it but it does so what are you gonna do lol. and the OST is amazing, re-listening to it will put you right back in the game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

seems like a good month to renew gamepass to test some of these games out. i feel like there's a 50/50 chance a lot of these bigger releases are gonna be good. wild hearts looks cool but it also looks kind of poo poo and i don't think i'll know until i play it. atomic hearts same thing. also wu long early march.

very hype to play returnal though, that's one that i don't think can miss.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kerbal Space Program 2 is like a vastly expanded version of 1 with interstellar travel. It’s my most anticipated game if the year. They have put a lot of love into this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nvm, I guess it's not relevant what Take Two did or does

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Really happy to see all this Northern Journey talk - I recently finished it in the last few weeks and would echo everyone's sentiments. It's got a fair bit of jank to deal with, and there were plenty of times when I would close the game in frustration due to it.. but I'd find myself opening it straight back up barely ten minutes later.

It's probably the closest game in recent memory to give me feelings similar to the first time I played the original Unreal. There's a particular map where you're traversing back and forth across several bridges to get to the top of a massive waterfall. It's just solely dedicated to that, and there's no enemies to speak of, and the traversal itself isn't challenging at all.. it's just a beautiful, relaxing bit of tone-setting that comes after a very stressful series of boss fight encounters. It reminded me a lot of the level in Unreal which is just dedicated to you getting on a boat and sailing through a cavern looking at cool poo poo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wild Hearts looks kinda janky but I’m hoping it’s good because the MonHun formula is awesome and I wish there were more games like it

deep dish peat moss posted:

And yeah this is how I feel about Troubleshooter, too. There's a lot about it that I know I'd love but I gave up after 3 missions or so because I couldn't stand how much dialog there was, not just the massive walls of text between missions but the plodding, slow, dialog-heavy cutscenes in-mission. And those missions felt very puzzle-y instead of tactical-strategy-y

The beginning is hella slow because it was made in early access and the devs were slowly realizing that folks really liked the tactics and build-crafting and weren’t interested in the multiplayer modes which were originally planned. Best practice is to mainline the story missions until you get 3 or 4 party members and then crank the difficulty up.

They are turning the next dlc into a standalone game because so few folks get over the hump. So keep an eye on that, it’s probably going to be a lot easier to get into

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Wild Hearts - Feb 16 - Here's an EA and Koei Tecmo two-hander trying to take on the Monster Hunting genre. Should be on Gamepass since it's EA.
The full game won't be on Game Pass at launch (EA usually don't put new releases on EA Play for anywhere between months to a year after launch) but three days before launch they'll be kicking up a demo for EA Play/Game Pass Ultimate users that lets you play "up to the gates of Minato" which Googling suggests is like the first three hunts.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

How interesting are builds in Troubleshooter? It doesn't seem to have any character creation but if the build space is wide enough that can be sufficient for me.

My usual play session in the post game was like an hour tweaking builds and then doing a mission.

[edit] I'd say that where Troubleshooter truly suceeds in comparison to nuXCOM and most tactics games of that lineage is in making the late/post game the most interesting part as opposed to a victory lap. You accumulate a lot of tools throughout the game and if you set all the difficulty options all the way up you are going to need every single one of them

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 1, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another for the Feb. pile - Spellforce: Conquest of Eo. It’s a prequel to the standard RTS/RPG Spellforce games, and plays more like Master of Magic/Age of Wonders. Looks very nice, and should only be like $25 during the launch week. Out February 3rd.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

PSA not to update/restart the steam client if you have it running, an update has made the friends list/chat appear as a black box which was previously a rare thing you used to be able to fix but this old thread on the steam forums just blew up with mentions of it starting here so it seems to be broken for everyone.
Oh right, Steam has a chat client. I think I might have used it once or twice?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ZearothK posted:

My usual play session in the post game was like an hour tweaking builds and then doing a mission.

Only an hour. You are like little baby. Probably don't even watch 6+ hours of youtube videos on builds first.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm weirdly excited for Returnal. On one hand I'm kind of hype for it because people talk about it like it's something incredible and a lot of what I hear makes it sound like it's up my alley. On the other hand I hate both bullet hells and housemarque games so I'm fully expecting to bounce hard off of it within 5 minutes :v:

Returnal is is great and pretty different from other Housemarque games, but if you don’t like bullet hell then don’t even bother trying it. The mobility options make it a lot easier than other BH games, but, like, that’s what it is at its core.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Echoing what people are saying above about Troubleshooter. I made it much farther than most, but there really wasn't any end in sight and the gameplay loop can only be so interesting with the same enemies.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's a lot of game but it's also one of the very few XCom-style titles that maintain their difficulty throughout the game; late game is not a stomp at all and there's a bajillion possible builds. It's a bit bloated with an excessive amount of features but again, it's part of the charm.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone here try Inkulinati? It's on Gamepass and I have it downloaded but haven't checked it out yet. It's kind of unclear what the hell it is, it seems like maybe it's a Steamworld Heist style 2d sorta xcom thing but in the style of medieval manuscripts?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't realize Sons of the Forest was out so soon

Looking forward to my dadsquad hunting the dadliest game again

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't realize Sons of the Forest was out so soon

Looking forward to my dadsquad hunting the dadliest game again

Same here. Is that going to be releasing into Early Access?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of Wizardry inspired games.

Has there been a single dungeon crawler that even attempted the Wizardry 8's best feature where the characters you created actually had...character, by having a lot of unique voice lines for practically every situation?
I feel like I've seen a lot of Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers and none of them bothered putting any effort into your party members the way Wizardry 8 did.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

If you didn't know, on Windows 11, the Series controllers screenshot button will actually save screenshots in games (a long press starts recording video). However, afaict, it only works with this Game Bar option enabled

The problem being, this screws with Steam's guide button chord functionality, which I can't live without. The screenshot button working natively would be useful for games that won't run through Steam (like Game Pass games).

my favorite xbox bar feature is the one that saves a video of the last 30 seconds of gameplay to disk. i don't stream or anything so it's very nice to be able to capture funny things that happen unexpectedly

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Hi-Fi Rush is extremely frustrating, because all of it's separate parts are extremely my poo poo. Overstylized art, musical focus, character action combat. All the good poo poo I love.
I really want to like this game but I'm just not having any fun with it.
it seemed so cool initially but I was a bit suspect for some reason and I was coin tossing keeping it on steam after 90mins. checked if game pass would give me a 1 buck sub to keep playing it so I ended up refunding it and im really glad I did because I already kinda hate it on the third level. the style is so well realized that I think it tricks you. I cannot loving for the life of me dodge attacks and the gameplay is virtually non existent outside the square combat tiles. the level design is kind of terrible... its a long corridor and most often its a repetitive indoor corridor - not the 'wow' outdoor rooftop you get in that first level.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Weedle posted:

my favorite xbox bar feature is the one that saves a video of the last 30 seconds of gameplay to disk. i don't stream or anything so it's very nice to be able to capture funny things that happen unexpectedly

If you have an Nvidia card, you probably maybe already have this feature:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay/

Not sure what hardware requirements this feature is gated behind, but IIRC they've offered it for a while.

edit; Wikipedia says Shadowplay came out in like 2013 lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 1, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

MarcusSA posted:

Kerbal Space Program 2 is like a vastly expanded version of 1 with interstellar travel. It’s my most anticipated game if the year. They have put a lot of love into this.

Hopefully they have a good tutorial, I was so bad at 1 I gave up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Qmass posted:

it seemed so cool initially but I was a bit suspect for some reason and I was coin tossing keeping it on steam after 90mins. checked if game pass would give me a 1 buck sub to keep playing it so I ended up refunding it and im really glad I did because I already kinda hate it on the third level. the style is so well realized that I think it tricks you. I cannot loving for the life of me dodge attacks and the gameplay is virtually non existent outside the square combat tiles. the level design is kind of terrible... its a long corridor and most often its a repetitive indoor corridor - not the 'wow' outdoor rooftop you get in that first level.

Yeah it's a really good introduction but I kinda ran out of steam for the same reason. I enjoyed the combat well enough but the platforming between combat was not great and the corridors between combat areas felt way too long.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rather than Kerbal Space Program 2 could they make like "Kerbal Space Program for Dumb People"?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

err posted:

Hopefully they have a good tutorial, I was so bad at 1 I gave up.

In a later update, a very thorough tutorial was added to the first game that takes you through everything from orbital entry to landing on the moon. It might be worth revisiting if you checked out early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Steam client update has released for the six people not using the beta client. If you're not one of those, that means you can do this now:

Rinkles posted:

Much needed change

From the beta client

Also, Big Picture Mode has been replaced with the Steam Deck interface.