Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

Antoni Kemping

Aaron Zinn

Cash Considerations

Apparently they weren't meant to play baseball. I mean, I don't know anything about this game's coaches, but those look like very good values across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Name: SNK Replica
Nickname: "2020"
Position: CF
Bats/Throws: Left
Player Type: Platinum Glove contender, adequate hitter
Nationality/Hometown: Osaka Japan
Number: 7
Height and Weight: 5'7 150 lbs <- I actually don't know if this is a reasonable build so feel free to change it to make more sense
Appearance:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mr. Panda has remembered he is a bear, not a baseball player. He sacrificed 24 points of potential for the chance to literally maul hitters.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I like how Antoni as a coach gives zero shits about prospects. Wonder where that attitude came from. :v:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Name: Krillin Chestnut
Nickname: "Bald Midget"
Position: Middle infielder
Player Type: Jose Altuve but even smoller
Nationality/Hometown: Dengfeng, China
Number: 6
Height and Weight: 5'0", 99 lbs

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 31, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

got some chores tonight posted:

Well, Goku's here, so a Krillin would make sense.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Mattybee posted:

Christ, C.J.T.J.C.J.B's stock is dropping like a rock

At least your stock rose! Tungsten Arm is looking to be a middling player... at single A.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lumpy posted:

At least your stock rose! Tungsten Arm is looking to be a middling player... at single A.

Bitchface commiserates with Tungsten.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fantasy BBWAA are somehow more stingy than the real BBWAA

Will the Knuckleball ever make it out of A ball :ohdear:

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Hopefully I can get in under the wire with a bizarre choice management had me do in MLB the show (and hopefully you can do it in this game):

Name: Velo “Crash” Victim
Position: C/RF
Player Type: Contact hitter
Hometown: Austin, Texas
Height/weight: A bit on the tall side. Whatever on the weight
Appearance:

They really had me cross train my catcher in right field. He’s all the way up in the majors and they still put him in right field from time to time.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Fantasy BBWAA are somehow more stingy than the real BBWAA

Will the Knuckleball ever make it out of A ball :ohdear:

At least the IRL BBWAA can, theoretically, be bribed. And isn’t there a group of committees specifically designed to give players that didn’t make the HOF a second look? Does OOTP model that, too, or is that considered too niche?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Last call for goon players! I'll be generating the last batch tonight, most likely!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm amazed Potato Manjack got so much money... he actually seems kinda terrible. I'm guessing there's something fishy going on here, and some up and coming player is gonna get a pipe to the knee right before the big game...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PotatoManJack posted:

I'm amazed Potato Manjack got so much money... he actually seems kinda terrible. I'm guessing there's something fishy going on here, and some up and coming player is gonna get a pipe to the knee right before the big game...

There's a lot of factors beyond skill that go into those negotiations (this will apply when they go for that delicious free agent money too). The player themselves can play hardball due to their greed, teams can be awash in money, owner personalities might be more willing to spend, etc. And most importantly - every team has their own scout, with varying degrees of skill, with an inherent randomness to how they evaluate players. So sometimes a scout maybe be making :eyepop: at a mediocre dude, or similarly undervalue someone.

Sadly, the game doesn't model agents, or the Scott Boras Effect (tm).

HereticMIND posted:

At least the IRL BBWAA can, theoretically, be bribed. And isn’t there a group of committees specifically designed to give players that didn’t make the HOF a second look? Does OOTP model that, too, or is that considered too niche?

I don't think OOTP does veteran's committees. Maybe I should have the goons vote on the HOF ballots each time just to see if there's any candidates the goons feel are more deserving than OOTP's stingy rear end version of the BBWAA.

I'll insert my own "veteran" pick of Barry Bonds and just induct him into the hall myself.

Tevery Best posted:

I like how Antoni as a coach gives zero shits about prospects. Wonder where that attitude came from. :v:

This poo poo writes itself. Can't wait for Antoni to manage a first overall pick and criminally underuse him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

There's a lot of factors beyond skill that go into those negotiations (this will apply when they go for that delicious free agent money too). The player themselves can play hardball due to their greed, teams can be awash in money, owner personalities might be more willing to spend, etc. And most importantly - every team has their own scout, with varying degrees of skill, with an inherent randomness to how they evaluate players. So sometimes a scout maybe be making :eyepop: at a mediocre dude, or similarly undervalue someone.

There's also high school players who can choose to go to college instead unless they get blown away by your offer

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dragongem posted:

Name: Megnogard Cooper
Nickname: Mr. Barrel (cause he looks like a barrel. He hates this name but can't shake it.)
Position: Infield
Player Type: Let's let the fates decide
Nationality: Canadian
Number: 12
Height/Weight: 6', 220.
Appearance: Stocky, and he has thick mutton chops (or other weird looking beard) for no reason.

Megnogard Cooper

Megnogard "Mr. Barrel" Cooper seemed destined for an unusual future - born in Niagara falls to a family of travelling carnival folk, Mr. Barrell's parents made their money and fame from braving the falls in a barrel to the screams of adoring fans. This became so profitable his father adopted the last name "cooper," and it was only fate that his son would come to resemble a barrel itself. Teased as "barrel-boy" most of his childhood, an adult Megnogard would instead be nicknamed "Mr. Barrel," a sobriquet he seemed completely unable to avoid. Those who refer to him as Mr. Barrel risk violence if they do so within earshot - and this has led to hotheaded, controversial personality.

Despite his rotund appearance, Mr. Barrel can hit. The years of joining his family's act have honed his physical prowess to where he can run and hit for contact quite effectively - as long as he can maintain the discipline he so often lacks.

Popete posted:

Name: Bantoni Kemping
Nickname: "Kamp"
Position: Center Fielder (OF)
Player Type: Very speedy contact hitter, lots of stealing
Nationality/Hometown: Krakow, Poland
Number: 27
Height and Weight: 6', 190 lbs
Appearance:

*in a clearly not Antoni Kemping voice*

Witam! It's me Bantoni, younger brother of former #1 draft pick and minor league washout Antoni.

Note: I rolled this guy and this was his nickname, no influence from me:

I had no idea that was even a possible nickname. Feel free to let me know if you want it back.

Bantoni Kemping

Bantoni "Kamp" Kemping

The day Antoni Kemping retired was a truly sad day for goonkind. The first overall number 1 pick goon had fizzled out faster than any other, even if would not be alone in that company.

Nor would he be alone in his misery, because the exact day that Antoni retired, scouts received a phone call, collect, from Poland. In a voice eerily reminiscent of Antoni's, it simply said "I am ready, we will be doing scouting show tomorrow, 8am."

Like clockwork, the next morning scouts saw themselves facing a man nearly Antoni's twin - similarly moustachio'd and sporting a festive native Polish hat, the young man introduced himself as "Bantoni - and here to avenge my brother."

After a misunderstanding involving violently thrown baseballs was resolved, Bantoni impressed the scouts with a show of hitting rivalling that of his failed brother. Bantoni may not run well, and he may not field well, but he has power and contact beyond even Antoni's greatest projections. He also claims that his "failed experiences.... in, uh, in Poland," have hardened him, and given him a work ethic and baseball IQ far exceeding most young players:

Yet, despite Bantoni's success one man was notably absent - his brother Antoni. Attempts to hail him with the great news were unsuccessful, with Bantoni himself insisting that he will "let Antoni know," and that they should "let Antoni focus on his coaching career."

VideoWitch posted:

Name: Rich Mahogany
Nickname: "Hardwood"
Position: I'll be real I know poo poo all about baseball so I'm gonna let the fates decide this
Player Type: Random
Nationality/Hometown: Boston, Massachusetts
Number: 47
Height and Weight: 6'5" and 200 pounds
Appearance: does the game allow for long hair? give him long hair if it does. Besides that go nuts

(The game is boring when it comes to long hair and doesn't allow it :(.)

Rich Mahogany

Rich "Hardwood" Mahogany is known for two things - his movement, and his curve. And also his curveball.

Born in Boston Massachusetts to puritanical parents, Richard (or "dick" as his family calls him) struck out on his own in a fit of rebellion when he turned 16. After a few years of finding his own way, he tried his hand at every type of hands-on activity he could, never wanting for fans, be they men, women, or those who lie betwixt. Eventually he found that years of a hedonistic lifestyle had led to extreme digital dexterity - not online, but with his fingers. The result is one of the meanest curveballs that any of the goons are capable of, with an equally devastating sinker, and a workable fastball. Rich's future likely depends on that curve, but he will miss a lot of bats if he can perfect it. And if his hedonistic lifestyle didn't breed an avarice that might make working with others more difficult.

IcePhoenix posted:

Name: SNK Replica
Nickname: "2020"
Position: CF
Bats/Throws: Left
Player Type: Platinum Glove contender, adequate hitter
Nationality/Hometown: Osaka Japan
Height and Weight: 5'7 150 lbs <- I actually don't know if this is a reasonable build so feel free to change it to make more sense
Appearance:

SNK Replica

SNK "2020" Replica arrived at the scouting camp in a cloud of smoke, claiming to be from the "distant future" of the year 2020. Sporting some of the most advanced cosplay yet seen in the MLB, Replica refused to wear regulation MLB gear, and only did so at great reluctance. She proceeded to wow the scouts with the most impressive power of any goon thusfar, with contact and speed rivalling the best of the generation. Her claims that she would "prove humans are the superior players and prevent the robopocalypse" were met with confused looks and some awkward laughs, as was her confusion about the lack of "bounce back zones" in the outfield stands. Her immense power was met with some skepticism as "superhuman," but accusations of PED use were cleared up with rigorous testing. The league is still commiserating about the legality of her "cybernetically enhanced musculature," which she claims are "normal and expected" in 2020.

SNK is looking to be an exemplar and ambassador for women in baseball. And peep that loyalty:

Whatever team drafts her will likely hold on to her for a long time. And that work ethic :eyepop:.

got some chores tonight posted:

Krillin Chestnut

Krillin "Bald Midget" Chestnut has been teased his entire life for his diminutive height. Having once trained at the same baseball dojo in Japan alongside Prince Vegeta and Actually Goku, Krillin initially felt an intense rivalry with the other two - in part because Krillin typically found himself outclassed by both of them. Vegeta's cold arrogance did not blossom into friendship, but he quickly found Actually Goku to be a powerful ally - and eventually, a dear friend. Something of a ladies man, Krillin's arrival to the draft was delayed by a brief sojourn in Japan to pursue a career in male modelling, followed by a year of contemplation in monestary in his homeland of China. It was the arrival of SNK Replica that inspired him to return to baseball, and he has declared himeslf a "cyber man," and joined tryouts in pursuit of her affections.

In terms of baseball ability, Krillin doesn't have much power to speak of. Yet, he has decent contact and excellent discipline, and projects to be a player with a high on base percentage and a proclivity to steal bases, as well as an excellent fielder.

Krillin's personality is quite interesting too - somewhat disloyal (Not very Krillin-like!), but otherwise high in adaptability, work ethic, and handling his successes and failures. And Krillin WANTS TO WIN - be it on the baseball field, or in matters of love.

NiftyBottle posted:

Hopefully I can get in under the wire with a bizarre choice management had me do in MLB the show (and hopefully you can do it in this game):

Name: Velo “Crash” Victim
Position: C/RF
Player Type: Contact hitter
Hometown: Austin, Texas
Height/weight: A bit on the tall side. Whatever on the weight
Appearance:

They really had me cross train my catcher in right field. He’s all the way up in the majors and they still put him in right field from time to time.

Note: This was the best I could do without editting - it's pretty uncommon to have a guy with C and OF abilities, so you're gonna have to take what ya get.

Velo Victim

Velo "Crash" Victim started following the Austin Kings before any of the other goons even thought about it or thought it was cool. A moustache aficionado, Victim was born to a barista mother and tattoo artist father in Austin, Texas. Originally considering a career in tech before determining it was "too basic," Velo initially opened a small business combination bicycle repair shop/dispensary/feminist bookstore/artisan bakery/designer dog groomer with a PPP loan and a small loan from his parents of $6 million dollars. After his business exploded in popularity, Victim sought out something more "authentic," and noticed the proclivity of some of his "lower class friends" to enjoy the sport of baseball. Claiming to "post-ironically," give it a go just in case it worked or "whatever," Victim found he was quite talented. He rejected however the "over specified and highly constrained" labels of "position," excelling at both Catcher and Outfield, claiming that this was the best way to "change the game in a meaningful and self actualizing way."

Considered by far the most annoying teammate among the goons, his talents and uniqueness cannot be doubted. Those talents are mostly excellent skills at catcher, and elite power.

Another loyal hard worker too! And who needs greed when you're already wealthy?

That closes it out for the goons - :siren: signups are now closed :siren: for generation one, no more exceptions.

Soon, the 2026 season!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 1, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's no chance those ratings stick but holy poo poo

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2026 MLB Season

The year 2026 begins with the addition of our last batch of goons for Generation 1. This brings our total to 44 - though 3 are retired, and with Lebron currently unsigned, likely 4.

The offseason is a unique one as we have two new teams - the Portland Sultans and the Austin Kings. (Maybe we should have the goons rename them?).

Their "WAR" added actually reflects their added players from the expansion draft, so they're kind of unique there. That also highlights just how aggressive the Phillies have been - they've added more WAR to their team than the entire Austin Kings did in their expansion draft. Yikes.

This comes despite losing 10 WAR worth of players to free agency. Some big moves in Philly.

This is also interesting because we have two goons on the Phillies - AJ Kalan and Splodey Face. This is a bit of a mixed blessing - this puts these goons in a position to win the first championship rings (and certainly to make a playoff appearance) of any goons, but also risks them being demoted or put on the bench for some shiny new acquisition. We'll have to see how things shake up on opening day.

Despite their big moves, the Phillies are still expected to be an 80-82 team.

Here's how the goons look during spring training, in terms of their current professional level. Looks like a few more goons make it into the majors, but we'll see how many stay up there for opening day.

oof. Come opening day there's actually fewer goons in the majors. Only Kalan, Plusse, and Vegeta are on the roster. I'm sure there will be more very soon.

I do discover that Prince Vegeta had the honor of being the opening day starter for the Chicago White Sox! He... didn't do so well, giving up 4 ER in 4.2 innings, but it's a start! And still a cool goon accomplishment.

I'd also like to note that not a single goon was injured during Spring Training!. Everyone stayed happy and healthy :3:.

Game is an accurate simulation.

By April, the list of promoted goons grows. Plusse is back in the majors, and is joined by Actually Goku and Jack Glasscock.

Now that Goku is in the majors, I wonder if he's faced Vegeta yet? Apparently not, but given that they're in the same division, it's but a matter of time.

He was named the number 1 prospect prior to his promotion ;).

MLB releases its top draft prospects, and SNK Replica leads the goons at second. Otherwise, only the new and completely unique Bantoni shows up on the list at 4.

None of our goon managers have jobs yet :(. Rumor has it that Antoni Kemping has attracted some interest, but is never home when contacted.

Lebron James refuses to retire! Did his namesake retire when things got tough?

More quarrelsome goons, as Dowd gets a pretty nasty 5 game suspension for brawling, and Bitchface gets 3.

LOLMETS.

Come on, Dincht has the face of an angel.

Seriously, goons are basically just fighting constantly. I may need to do a "fight tally" at the end of each update.

Rex Sisters manages to snag a unique accomplishment, being named the MVP of the East-West Annual All-Star game, where the top rookie prospects from baseball compete against one another. He was the only goon in the game, so take that non-goons! :smug:

An inspiring quote from OOTP.

We pause at the All-Star break to see how our goons are doing at the season's mid-point.

The majors are getting more crowded! Saito, McCracken, and Blank make their major league debuts, as most of the other goons who tasted the majors also return.

How are their ratings doing?

Ratings by Overall

Ratings by Potential

Douglas Dugless has skyrocketed to the top rated goon in current "overall" ability, topping out the other goons at 58. There are still many goons competing for the top potential, with Actually Goku topping the 80 potential players with a realized rating of 50.

But ratings will start to matter less and less, as we have STATS now to observe:

All Star Break Hitter Stats

Among the hitters, it's Reggie Blank and Tim McCracken that stand out as the most productive at the halfway point. Blank has the advantage of far more game time than McCracken, and an impressive 22 SB to 1 CS (caught stealing). That overall WAR of 2.9 is very, very impressive - if Blank keeps it up, he may even have a rookie of the year award with his name on it.

Glasscock and Kalan appear to be struggling a bit, but neither is playing abysmally.

All Star Break Pitcher Stats

There are fewer pitchers to examine, but Vegeta and Plusse are both delivering perfectly average performances at their position. They even have almost identical ERA's, though Vegeta comes out ahead in "FIP," which measures pitching independent of fielding prowess/mistakes around him. He also nets a better WAR at 2.1.

Oh - let's check again to see if Goku has faced Vegeta yet!

Not yet :(. Goku actually got sent back down to AAA at some point during the season, so we may have to wait a bit longer.

The first year player's draft begins in July - will all our goons finally be drafted?

2026 Amateur Draft
1.1 SNK Replica, CF - Detroit Tigers
1.2 Rich Mahogany, SP - Oakland Athletics
1.10 Megnogard Cooper, 2B - Colorado Rockies
1.12 Bantoni Kemping, LF - Toronto Blue Jays
1.32 Velo Victim, C - Kansas City Royals
1.36 Krillin Chestnut, 2B - Austin Kings

SNK Replica takes the cursed top pick overall, with the rest of the goons following suit in the first round. Krillin is notably the first goon to join one of the new expansion teams, which puts him in a position to be one of it's better players soon. I don't know if a guy with his high "desire to win" rating will be excited about this though.

One weird thing I notice - for whatever reason OOTP generated a guy named "Ryan?" Flores. I guess he's questioning his name?

Some real "Japanese video game version of American names" type names coming out from OOTP.

AJ Kalan heats up a bit in the second half, with the first notable goon performance in the majors! He manages to tally 5 hits in one game against the D-backs, going 5 for 5 in the game. 4 singles and a double. Get it King.

Tukhachevsky gets suspended again. That's 7 total games this season.

Splodey follows suit. I think I might just start tallying these, because goons can't stop fightin'.

Tim McCracken wins Rookie of the Month in the MLB - a notable achievement and I think our first in the majors. He's definitely excelling, and is competing with Blank as the top rookie among goons.

https://i.imgur.com/Z92fsrT.mp4

Biggus Dickus suffers the most dreaded pitcher injury - he tears his UCL, sending him to the disabled list for a disastrous 12 months. This is the injury that claimed Aaron Zinn. Let's hope Dickus can survive - his potential is already down to 40, so it's not looking good.

If it's any consolation, in real life, knuckleballers are often precisely the kind of guys who get wrecked by a torn UCL or similar injury, and defer to the knuckleball as their last resort. But I don't know if OOTP models that.

Saito joins fight club, imagine I pasted the story here.

Jack Glasscock may not only have a cock made of glass - his entire body appears to be quite fragile. He's wracking up a worrying amount of injuries in a short period of time, but fortunately, none have been very serious.

2026 Amateur Draft Signings
1.1 SNK Replica, CF - Detroit Tigers - $14,300,000
1.2 Rich Mahogany, SP - Oakland Athletics - $10,420,000
1.10 Megnogard Cooper, 2B - Colorado Rockies - $7,410,000
1.12 Bantoni Kemping, LF - Toronto Blue Jays - $6,390,000
1.32 Velo Victim, C - Kansas City Royals - $3,820,000
1.36 Krillin Chestnut, 2B - Austin Kings - $3,510,000

Every goon is officially signed! No one tops last year's signing bonus record either. The teams seemed a bit stingier this year. I guess a recession is coming in 2026.

Actually Goku is back in the majors, and he has finally faced Prince Vegeta!

https://i.imgur.com/cg9Jq88.mp4

I was able to track down the one game where they faced each other - I can't be 100% sure, but it looks as if Goku struck out once and reached on an error once, stealing a base in the process. It didn't save the game log, so I am not 100% sure which 2 of his 3 AB came against Vegeta.

I will note that the CWS leaderboards for pitchers show a LOT of Vegeta. Should be 4/4 given that he's tied in wins.

2026 Playoffs

The 2026 playoffs get started as the season ends, and notably - we will have our first goon playoff appearances, and their first chances at a ring.

Reggie Blank - DET
Tim McCracken - DET
Sir Plusse - DET
Prince Vegeta - CWS
Carl Tubbs - SFG
Douglas Dougless -CHC
Actually Goku - CLE

There may be more that made a brief appearance for one of the above teams in the MLB, but won't actually be playing in the playoffs. They would still get a ring.

The White Sox and Guardians are actually playing in the Wild Card game!??? Will Vegeta and Goku face each other!?

Game 2 is Vegeta's start - the first pitching start of any goon in the majors. Goku doesn't start in game 1 though :(.

Instead Tim McCracken takes the award as the first goon to appear in a playoff game, going 0-2 with 2 walks in Detroit's 10-2 loss to the angels. Oof.

Prince Vegeta excels at his first start, leading Chicago to tie the series and pitching masterfully for 6 innings. And what of his face off with Goku?

Oof. Advantage Vegeta.

Let's sim through the rest of the playoffs and recap accordingly.

SO CLOSE! Our valiant goons unfortunately fell rather quickly - except for our comrades McCracken, Plusse, and Blank, who were tantalizingly close to a ring, only to lose the final game of the World Series to the Mets. That is really a shame as it would have gotten THREE goons a ring at once. Alas

How did our goons do in the playoffs?

Postseason Batting

Postseason Pitching

...not so great, from our hitters. McCracken had four dingers to his name, but that's about it.

Pitching is a different story though - McCracken and Blank should be congratulating Sir Plusse for absolutely carrying Detroit during their run - he pitched 15 innings and only gave up 3 runs through all of them. Vegeta did quite well too over his admittedly shorter run, striking out way more dudes but giving up more runs.

Plusse actually made a start in the World Series itself in game 4 - pitching well to get through 4.2 innings without giving up a run. Unfortunately, the 3-0 lead the Tigers would manage during that game would be blown in a 9th inning GRAND SLAM, denying Plusse the win and tying the series 2-2. That would be Plusse's only appearance in the series. In the game, Blank and McCracken went 1-7 in that game. Doh.

Lebron finally retires. :rip:. I've made him into a coach though :).

The season is done, so it is time for awards and the hall of fame!

Major League Awards

:siren: Congrats to Reggie Blank, who wins the AL Rookie of the Year Award! :siren:

This is a pretty serious honor - nearly on par with an MVP or Cy Young Award. You only get one shot at this one too in your rookie campaign - so it's all the more impressive. We'll recap the stats later, but he did very, very well, and lived up to his overall number 1 status. Do also note that Tim McCracken didn't do too shabby himself - he ended up 4th on the list.

A shame Blank couldn't add a ring to his rookie campaign.

None of the goons appear in the NL RoY conversation :(.

NL MVP - Bryce Harper, PHI
AL MVP - Shohei Ohtani - LAA
NL CY YOUNG - Lucas Giolito - CHC
AL CY YOUNG - Reese Lumpkin (lol) - SEA

Ohtani and Harper, what shockers! No goons get any votes for MVP or Cy Young, sadly.

Noooooo!!!! Biggus Dickus is not looking so big. His horrendous injury has led the Cubs to cut him - it may be that his torn UCL costs his entire career. Ugh!

2026 ends, and 2027 opens with the Hall of Fame Ballot:

Todd Helton makes it into the Hall (narrowly) on his 9th try, with Beltran nipping at his heels. His career numbers, for reference:

Buster Posey appears for the first time this year at 41%, probably the only newcomer with a shot at making it eventually.

Minor League Awards 2026

Player of the Week - Tukhachevsky, Sisters, Saito, Cena, Blank, Face
Players of the Month - Saito

And with that we close out 2026 with a look at how our goons are performing:

2026 Offseason Status

2026 Offseason Ratings

2026 MLB Batting Stats

2026 MLB Pitching Stats

On the batting side of things, there's a pretty clear leader among the goons, with Reggie Blank absolutely crushing it his rookie year. He narrowly led the goons in Home Runs, but crushed in WAR with 4, and maintained a 125 OPS+. Tim McCracken deserves an honorable mention for being on Blank's heels with a 128 OPS+, but with far fewer appearances (though he did manage more BB and nearly as many HR's in fewer games!).

I'd also like to note that Saito hit 21 Home Runs in only 72 starts. That's a ~48 Home Run pace over a full season. Dude can rake. Similarly, Tubbs drew many walks and had the highest on base percentage - an oft overlooked honor, and one that led him to a goon-leading 33 steals.

The biggest disappointment was probably Glasscock who fell just under the Mendoza line, but he has time to turn it around.

Thus, I give Blank my 2026 Goon Hitter Award! Congrats!

On the pitching side of things - a tough decision, and a bit of a surprise!

First, Prince Vegeta and Sir Plusse both put up solid numbers this season. Plusse takes the edge in most of the categories with slightly better play on average - his ERA was marginally lower, his ERA+ a few points higher, and most of his other stats like walks, WHIP, and opposing average were a tad better than Vegeta. Vegeta has a case for himself though - his WAR is nearly twice Plusse's, in part due to his greater number of starts, lower likelihood of giving up dingers, and much more impressive FIP. This implies that Plusse's numbers are a bit inflated by an excellent defense around him (which includes our boys Tim McCracken and Reggie Blank), while Vegeta has the greater skills in a neutral environment.

For that reason I am going to give me 2026 Goon Pitcher Award to Prince Vegeta, but I do so recognizing that a VERY solid case could be made the other way.

And lastly, but certainly not least - who is this surprise third pitcher? Is that... Douglas Dougless? The Center Fielder!???

It is! And the magnificent bastard has been hiding the fact that he's a two-way player from us! Those pitching ratings aren't stellar but they're better than any of our other hitters - and it actually led Douglass to get 8 starts for the Cubs in the season. Now, he admittedly didn't excel at the role... failing to get a single win in 8 starts, none of them a quality start (although he did have a solid 5 inning, 1 run performance against the Padres). But the dude is hitting above average AND putting together elite fielding at CF in the process. We will definitely be keeping an eye on him.

Thus 2026 turns into 2027. This was by far our most fun and interesting year - and I think I have a few small things I might ask of you while we wait for the next update...

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 1, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

One weird thing I notice - for whatever reason OOTP generated a guy named "Ryan?" Flores. I guess he's questioning his name?

Maybe he's just a huge fan of the Best Friends

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: A Message from Commissioner of Baseball Rob Manfred :siren:

Dear Goons,

We have been honored to host the goons in our wonderful game of baseball. Truly, your strange personalities and constant brawls have been a boon to TV ratings and revenues. I am told you all come from an "internet forum". I wish you best on the Tiktok. My grandkids love it.

I come to you today with a request. We recently expanded our league to include two new teams, the Austin Kings and Portland Sultans.

Needless to say, I should not have left this decision to the owners. Their choices were boring, especially the Austin Kings. At least the Sultans is kind of fun.

As such, the request. I would like the goons to help me decide the city and nickname of our two new expansion teams. Don't worry, their rosters will remain - they'll just be instantly relocated and emergency funds allocated for their new stadium.

I ask the goons to submit their nominations for City and Nickname for the two new teams, in the following format (quoting me so I don't miss it - you can just do a generic quote, not necessarily this whole post):

JosefStalinator posted:

Austin Kings - New City New Nickname
Portland Sultans - New City New Nickname

We are always looking to expand baseball, even beyond our borders. As such, all cities with a population of at least 25,000 are eligible. Be good ambassadors of the game, goons.

Once I have received the nominations, I will create an offsite poll for everyone to vote for their favorite, and link it in thread.

I also understand that your member Krillin is on the Austin Kings. Given that this directly impacts him, I am granting him extraordinary power to select the future Austin Kings city and nickname, should he choose to do so. I only ask that he view the available options in full before making this decision, though he may leave it to the will of the goons (or even narrow the choices) as he chooses.

Thank you for your assistance goons. May you be ever profitable, and never let your players organize.

-Robert Dean Manfred Jr.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 1, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

Dear Goons,

We have been honored to host the goons in our wonderful game of baseball. Truly, your strange personalities and constant brawls have been a boon to TV ratings and revenues. I am told you all come from an "internet forum". I wish you best on the Tiktok. My grandkids love it.

I come to you today with a request. We recently expanded our league to include two new teams, the Austin Kings and Portland Sultans.

Needless to say, I should not have left this decision to the owners. Their choices were boring, especially the Austin Kings. At least the Sultans is kind of fun.

As such, the request. I would like the goons to help me decide the city and nickname of our two new expansion teams. Don't worry, their rosters will remain - they'll just be instantly relocated and emergency funds allocated for their new stadium.

I ask the goons to submit their nominations for City and Nickname for the two new teams, in the following format (quoting me so I don't miss it):

We are always looking to expand baseball, even beyond our borders. As such, all cities with a population of at least 25,000 are eligible. Be good ambassadors of the game, goons.

Once I have received the nominations, I will create an offsite poll for everyone to vote for their favorite, and link it in thread.

I also understand that your member Krillin is on the Austin Kings. Given that this directly impacts him, I am granting him extraordinary power to select the future Austin Kings city and nickname, should he choose to do so. I only ask that he view the available options in full before making this decision, though he may leave it to the will of the goons (or even narrow the choices) as he chooses.

Thank you for your assistance goons. May you be ever profitable, and never let your players organize.

-Robert Dean Manfred Jr.

Portland Sultans - Carolina Catfish (based in Charlotte, NC)
Austin Kings - Indianapolis Blue Sox

Also, please rename the Nationals to The Grays.

Red fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 1, 2023

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Dear Goons,

I ask the goons to submit their nominations for City and Nickname for the two new teams, in the following format (quoting me so I don't miss it - you can just do a generic quote, not necessarily this whole post):

-Robert Dean Manfred Jr.

Portland Sultans - Vancouver Warhawks

Austin Kings - Montreal Expos

Let’s give the Blue Jays some friends up north.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 1, 2023

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Portland Sultans => Montreal Expos
Austin Kings => Mexico City Quetzalcoatls

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Portland Sultans => Minneapolis Moose
Austin Kings => Vancouver Killer Whales

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

SO CLOSE! Our valiant goons unfortunately fell rather quickly - except for our comrades McCracken, Plusse, and Blank, who were tantalizingly close to a ring, only to lose the final game of the World Series to the Mets. That is really a shame as it would have gotten THREE goons a ring at once. Alas

Postseason Batting

Postseason Pitching

...not so great, from our hitters. McCracken had four dingers to his name, but that's about it.

Pitching is a different story though - McCracken and Blank should be congratulating Sir Plusse for absolutely carrying Detroit during their run - he pitched 15 innings and only gave up 3 runs through all of them. Vegeta did quite well too over his admittedly shorter run, striking out way more dudes but giving up more runs.

Plusse actually made a start in the World Series itself in game 4 - pitching well to get through 4.2 innings without giving up a run. Unfortunately, the 3-0 lead the Tigers would manage during that game would be blown in a 9th inning GRAND SLAM, denying Plusse the win and tying the series 2-2. That would be Plusse's only appearance in the series. In the game, Blank and McCracken went 1-7 in that game. Doh.
Well, it's not a championship, but second place is still good, right? And Plusse even made a good showing against the Mets; too bad about that last-minute grand slam, though. Bet he's salty about that one.

...He's doing a hell of a lot better than I expected when I randomly decided to submit him.

edit: Had a couple bad ideas. Like, I know I'm bad at naming things, so they're bad ideas pretty much by default, but, well...

Austin Kings -> Austin Assholes
Portland Sultans -> Fullerton Failures

Yes, I'm blatantly insulting the new teams with my name suggestions. Like I said, they're bad ideas.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 1, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I imagine that being almost eight feet tall works great to intimidate batters, not to mention the strike zone sounds near impossible for the catcher. Fat Doug will be a star.

Austin Kings - Fargo, ND - Go Fars
Portland Sultans - Evansville, IN - Sewer Rats

The Go Fars obviously excel at hitting the ball really far and Evansville often smells like a sewer. The local minor league team, the Otters, might get upset.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

If Mexico is allowed, let's go with this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

JosefStalinator posted:

:siren: A Message from Commissioner of Baseball

Austin Kings-> Butte Wipers (Butte, MT)
Portland Sultans -> Reno Rollers (Reno, NV)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

Portland Sultans - Vancouver Loonies

I guess it doesn't matter which is which though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Congrats to Saito, who made it to the MLB in 2 seasons! I'm very proud of him. :toot: And he got into his first brawl, very fun.

JosefStalinator posted:

I'd also like to note that Saito hit 21 Home Runs in only 72 starts. That's a ~48 Home Run pace over a full season. Dude can rake.

I do have to wonder if this is all Saito, though. Not that he doesn't have power, but I assume he is generously helped by playing in everyone's second-favorite dinger shrine, the Great American Ballpark. I don't know how much OOTP simulates stadium effects or how much of an impact it has, though.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Monathin posted:

Congrats to Saito, who made it to the MLB in 2 seasons! I'm very proud of him. :toot: And he got into his first brawl, very fun.

I do have to wonder if this is all Saito, though. Not that he doesn't have power, but I assume he is generously helped by playing in everyone's second-favorite dinger shrine, the Great American Ballpark. I don't know how much OOTP simulates stadium effects or how much of an impact it has, though.

The game absolutely takes into account park effects, and that probably netted Saito 2, maybe 3 HR's. But that's still a 40+ HR pace - we'll see if it was just a fluke next season, or if he's been sitting on some power.

Keep submitting names goons! I'll keep collecting them for another day or two.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yeah, I can definitely agree with this. Plus, Storg would like to play in Mexico CIty. He thinks the thin air helps him lose weight.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

This is basically what I would have suggested in some way.

If Krillin uses his executive power then I vote for Mexico City over Montreal because we need another Coors :yeshaha:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

Among the hitters, it's Reggie Blank and Tim McCracken that stand out as the most productive at the halfway point. Blank has the advantage of far more game time than McCracken, and an impressive 22 SB to 1 CS (caught stealing). That overall WAR of 2.9 is very, very impressive - if Blank keeps it up, he may even have a rookie of the year award with his name on it.

Tim McCracken wins Rookie of the Month in the MLB - a notable achievement and I think our first in the majors. He's definitely excelling, and is competing with Blank as the top rookie among goons.

2026 Playoffs

The 2026 playoffs get started as the season ends, and notably - we will have our first goon playoff appearances, and their first chances at a ring.

Reggie Blank - DET
Tim McCracken - DET
Sir Plusse - DET
Prince Vegeta - CWS
Carl Tubbs - SFG
Douglas Dougless -CHC
Actually Goku - CLE

There may be more that made a brief appearance for one of the above teams in the MLB, but won't actually be playing in the playoffs. They would still get a ring.

The White Sox and Guardians are actually playing in the Wild Card game!??? Will Vegeta and Goku face each other!?

Game 2 is Vegeta's start - the first pitching start of any goon in the majors. Goku doesn't start in game 1 though :(.

Instead Tim McCracken takes the award as the first goon to appear in a playoff game, going 0-2 with 2 walks in Detroit's 10-2 loss to the angels. Oof.

Prince Vegeta excels at his first start, leading Chicago to tie the series and pitching masterfully for 6 innings. And what of his face off with Goku?

Oof. Advantage Vegeta.

Let's sim through the rest of the playoffs and recap accordingly.

Postseason Batting

Postseason Pitching

Major League Awards

:siren: Congrats to Reggie Blank, who wins the AL Rookie of the Year Award! :siren:

This is a pretty serious honor - nearly on par with an MVP or Cy Young Award. You only get one shot at this one too in your rookie campaign - so it's all the more impressive. We'll recap the stats later, but he did very, very well, and lived up to his overall number 1 status. Do also note that Tim McCracken didn't do too shabby himself - he ended up 4th on the list.

A shame Blank couldn't add a ring to his rookie campaign.

On the batting side of things, there's a pretty clear leader among the goons, with Reggie Blank absolutely crushing it his rookie year. He narrowly led the goons in Home Runs, but crushed in WAR with 4, and maintained a 125 OPS+. Tim McCracken deserves an honorable mention for being on Blank's heels with a 128 OPS+, but with far fewer appearances (though he did manage more BB and nearly as many HR's in fewer games!).

This implies that Plusse's numbers are a bit inflated by an excellent defense around him (which includes our boys Tim McCracken and Reggie Blank), while Vegeta has the greater skills in a neutral environment.

Wow.

I'm hoping Reggie can push his walk totals up significantly, but holy cow.

I'll be really curious to see how McCracken and Blank do together (are they complementary, competitive, or will they create a ton of drama?). I'm also kind of hoping they're both career Tigers.

Edit: Does OOTP provide any defensive stats?

Red fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 1, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

McCracken needs to learn RF so the Tigers can have an all goon outfield once Replica comes up

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'm really liking this Vegete/Goku storyline. I'm pulling for Goku but he has a bit of catching up to do.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I didn’t expect McCracken to be that useful that early, pretty good year to be a Tigers fan.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Portland Sultans - Vancouver Loonies

I guess it doesn't matter which is which though.

This gets my vote.

And.. Charlie Brown might be major league bound if he's on the offseason MLB roster :aaa: I'm not expecting much, but better than I expected!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Armitage posted:

This gets my vote.

And.. Charlie Brown might be major league bound if he's on the offseason MLB roster :aaa: I'm not expecting much, but better than I expected!

It'd be so great if he starts every preseason in MLB and gets demoted to AAA just before opening day.

I'm not at home now, but I'll check everyone's requests (like fielding stats) later!

Edit: and Goku/Vegeta don't have to be the only rivals, if you guys wanna start beef...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

JosefStalinator posted:

It'd be so great if he starts every preseason in MLB and gets demoted to AAA just before opening day.

I'm not at home now, but I'll check everyone's requests (like fielding stats) later!

Edit: and Goku/Vegeta don't have to be the only rivals, if you guys wanna start beef...

Yeah, OOTP puts 40 man players onto the MLB roster so it's amazing he even got that far, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the Dodgers treat good ol' Charlie Brown.