Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

deeply unfunny is a good way to describe reboot. the one episode with esther povitsky was funny tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought you guys were talking about that 90s cartoon and just now realized it was that terrible sitcom. I don't know how the gently caress something starring Johnny Knoxville, Keegan Michael Key, and Judy Greer managed to be so unfunny.

Also, yes I only watched two episodes but If something doesn't get good until the end it's the same thing as being bad in my book.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So Showtime and Paramount Plus are merging?

And they loving cancelled Let the right one in - my favorite show of last year

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man this is brutal, I really liked reboot. Thought it was pretty funny the whole way through, Paul reiser and Rachel bloom were really good working off each other.

It was rated pretty well too so it's a little confusing to see it get canceled but yeah, maybe someone at Hulu was a little too hurt by the jokes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pillowpants posted:

So Showtime and Paramount Plus are merging?

And they loving cancelled Let the right one in - my favorite show of last year

The OTT Showtime is merging with Paramount+, and I THINK Showtime the TV multiplex are soon going to show Paramount+ shows. So....:shrug:

e: After a minute of research, the linear TV channels are being rebranded to Paramount+ with Showtime, so...yes.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 31, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Steve Yun posted:

That’s also the premise of Miss Marple Murder She Wrote. She’s not even a detective, just a nosy old lady!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

The OTT Showtime is merging with Paramount+, and I THINK Showtime the TV multiplex are soon going to show Paramount+ shows. So....:shrug:

e: After a minute of research, the linear TV channels are being rebranded to Paramount+ with Showtime, so...yes.

Paramount Plus already shows a bunch of stuff on its app that's only actually available if you have Showtime so I wonder how that's gonna effect that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reboot was amazing and I'll never forgive its cancellation!

Put it on the pile of other weird one season comedy dramas like Mad Dogs and Terriers. And other non dog related shows.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
aww dang, I totally forgot about Mad Dogs. Not sure I ever finished it, so I'll rewatch it. Thanks for the reminder.

I've seen Terriers probably 3 times by now

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fez_machine posted:

What episodic detective series aren't this?

I mean, in other shows the main character has to do some initial investigation and isn’t even sure who the killer could be. Here it’s just klaxons going off as a character lies about a death.

Also the ending of episode 1 was dumb as hell. So you know these guys have already killed twice to protect their whale. And you just cut loose that very same whale. Why are you going BACK to meet up with them? Why are you still even in the same city, or even state as them??

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Hereditary on HBOmax is probably worth watching just for the horrifying things it does to its characters in the first third or so. It loses its way a little after that, but it stays somewhere between weird and scary until it goes insane again near the end. I thought Toni Collette seeing her mother standing in the corner was one of the scariest ghost scenes I've seen, probably tied with Scully seeing her dad in the X-Files. Horror movie endings are always a little disappointing, but this one does the best it can. Please drive safely.

To me it feels like a trend-setting movie where the script is just insane as it wants to be and you kinda follow along with it, because it's about real stuff and it's also a technically excellent movie.

You can absolutely tell that Ari Aster tacked a horror movie onto a family drama with the way it's structured, but it doesn't really matter.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ymgve posted:

I mean, in other shows the main character has to do some initial investigation and isn’t even sure who the killer could be. Here it’s just klaxons going off as a character lies about a death.

Also the ending of episode 1 was dumb as hell. So you know these guys have already killed twice to protect their whale. And you just cut loose that very same whale. Why are you going BACK to meet up with them? Why are you still even in the same city, or even state as them??
In Columbo he basically always knows exactly who the killer is about 5 seconds into the investigation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1620698418149752834?s=20&t=LXmGrOCqjXjE7jeC6YS8ag

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I pay for the highest tier and share my account with my mom and my sister, who live in different homes. This sucks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is the dumbest loving idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is good news. I have been looking for an excuse to cancel their increasingly crappy service for a while since I basically keep it around for background noise and the fact that my parents love using my account, so if they can't do that anymore, adios. That's 15 bux in my wallet every month.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can’t get rid of Netflix because I get it for free with my phone family plan, but I paid extra to get the highest tier. I’ll just switch to the lowest tier now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

insanely bad. I guarantee regular users will get hit with lockouts randomly.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

It's pretty funny that the news leading up to this was saying poo poo like "netflix's anti-password sharing measures will lead to 3 million+ in increased profit" like everyone kicked off by this is just gonna buy their own subscription at the drop of a hat

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
What about TV's and PC's that are hard wired to LAN lol, they're just hosed? I've literally never had my PC on wifi

Papercut fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 1, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I would assume "wifi" is just shorthand for "your home network's external IP address", if not this is even more dumb than it already is

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

arsenicCatnip posted:

It's pretty funny that the news leading up to this was saying poo poo like "netflix's anti-password sharing measures will lead to 3 million+ in increased profit" like everyone kicked off by this is just gonna buy their own subscription at the drop of a hat

That’s not even a noticeable amount to the growth stock ghouls

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The number of devices thing was fine. It annoyed password share people a little bit didn't screw anyone, and didn't do anything to people who just had their own account. This seems ineffective at best, maybe actively bad.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've taken to lately canceling Netflix whenever I run out of content I want to watch on Netflix and only signing up again later when there is something new I want to watch. I should watch RRR and All Quiet on the Western Front, then cancel again. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve been rotating through the services for years. Next up is Hulu, then Netflix. After that I’ll see who’s left since HBO Max will not exist in its current form by then.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Disagree on your first part, the mystery element wasn't whodunit, it was figuring out how they messed up. I liked the clues in scenes that let me connect the dots. They were obvious, like the cloud mention, locker combination, metal detector, etc., but didn't seem too pandering either. It's good mystery writing to make your audience feel smart.

But yeah she wasn't that smart in the ending. Her getaway plan relied on them getting angry, but instead of following through on killing her which they were already mostly there with, they ran downstairs... and she followed them instead of running away? Okay. I still really like the show, just kind of a weird plot thing at the end.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

If you could simply add devices at like $1 or $2 a month they'd probably get a better result

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

nobody told me all quiet was in german, 1/5

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Netflix honestly sucks anyway. I can't say I've ever really gotten into any of the hit/trending shows they had. Tiger Guy, Squid bullshit (never finished it, im sure its toootally amazing), whatever, they mostly just fund mediocre bullshit domestically and internationally. Dark, Babylon Berlin, Breaking Bad But Not As Good With Jason Bateman...I'm not saying these are bad shows, they're just like...fine to okay. Doesn't compare with HBOMax or even Hulu when it comes to TV series or movies.
The chess show was Extremely Okay...I love Natasha Lyonne but that Groundhog Day type poo poo she did was also a Very Okay thing that entered and promptly exited my mind...sure, there's a decent hidden gem or two sometimes, but it's mostly mediocre stuff and any of the big movies they circulate are usually things I'd already seen...they don't fund poo poo like The Irishman anymore either, not that that was really that great anyway.
It's like they're more or less equal with Prime when it comes to finding good poo poo among a sea of mediocrity, but at least Prime also provides delivery services n poo poo.

It's just too bad the purchase and dismantling of HBOMax is going down cuz they were really rushing in on Netflix's 1st place spot before it became clear the plan would be austerity.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

david_a posted:

I’ve been rotating through the services for years. Next up is Hulu, then Netflix. After that I’ll see who’s left since HBO Max will not exist in its current form by then.

every year i renew hulu on black friday for some "1 year at $1/month" thing by rotating through 3 or 4 email addresses, i did the same this year to get peacock and even then i don't know if peacock is worth the trouble lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gotta make sure I watch I'm Thinking About Ending Things and Tony Manero tho.

And if you haven't seen Gueros on Netflix, watch Gueros on Netflix. Bardo was good, though I recommend seeing it in theaters. I will give them credit for having some good to great international "hidden gem" (and not so hidden) films on there, but obviously they get blown out of the water by Criterion/Arrow/HBO in that one category they're pretty good at.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that Errol Morris Netflix doc about the CIA LSD guy was good

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

If you could simply add devices at like $1 or $2 a month they'd probably get a better result

if you add a device with a harddrive and a VPN for 5 bucks a month you can get an even better result. :grin:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah, Wormwood was good. I lost my taste quickly for any sort of Netflix docudrama tho cuz they pioneered the "stretch two episodes worth of material over an entire season...and maybe have an even more useless season 2!!" Better off just reading an article man.
Why I never watched stuff like Tiger King or Wild Wild Country.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It’s ok Netflix made an entire documentary about a couple vigilantes in rural humboldt and now the poor town of alderpoint has to live with the name “murder mountain”

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
That Netflix Pez black market documentary was good but I wish it had been about the Austrian guy instead

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The worst part of this is going to be all the other services who follow suit if it works out for netflix (and frankly it’s hard to see how it won’t unless people get riled up to the point of an actual boycott and mass cancelations)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well then I hope the streaming services enjoy piracy rates going back back up to pre-netflix days (if they even dropped) while they all bleed even more money than they're currently bleeding. The appeal of Netflix was their huge share of media licenses pre-balkanization, but once competitors rose the appeal was the various services funding interesting projects and exclusives. With both those appeals either gone or dwindling it's pointless.
Honestly unless you're some speciality/genre streaming service like Arrow or Criterion or Shudder, these channels are all full of the same bullshit that's either literally identical poo poo they trade temporary licenses of back and forth or just figuratively the same mediocre trash everyone has prime/hulu/Netflix/HBO
I guess HBOMax was the only exception since it cycled in cool Criterion poo poo and actually had a good handful of current prestige shows but everything since the Discovery purchase indicates that they're going full austerity and gonna reverse all that kinda poo poo. If the future of HBO "prestige drama" just ends up being like Game of Thrones universe show and Popular Videogame Maybe, that's not bad but it's not enough to pay for really.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’ve been seeing adds for MGM+ lately so get ready for the streaming services to fracture even more soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Deadite posted:

I’ve been seeing adds for MGM+ lately so get ready for the streaming services to fracture even more soon

MGM+ is a reskin of Epix.