Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There must be more than a few giants who never got past a developmental stage, like Buck Dixon. I can't think of anyone who had a career like Reis' though. Like if the Undertaker had a half dozen gimmicks but never rose higher than Texas Red.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Kurgan from Truth Commission/Oddities?

Nah, Kurrgan was getting a push in the Truth Commission, at least.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I'm rewatching Raws and the Oddities just debuted and there's only been one match with Golga but before this Kurrgan I don't think has even lost a match while part of the Truth Commission.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Vince hadn’t seen him dance yet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is Austin's worst match after returning from his neck injury? A real match, not a "match", if the distinction matters.

I feel like his initial return against Owen would count, but that might qualify as a "match." Otherwise, maybe his SummerSlam match against Undertaker.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Kurggan's televised wins against signed WWE talent: 8ball (Ron Harris), Chainz (Brian Lee), Marc Mero (by DQ)

Ron Reis's televised wins against signed WCW talent: Chavo Guerrero Jr. (twice), Van Hammer

Kind of neck and neck in the push department, though the Truth Commission had a few wins against signed talent (the Headbangers, and two out of five matches against the Disciples of Apocalypse), most of which Kurrgan was just ringside for.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Gavok posted:

By the way, Sisal Two-Step, being that you're new to a lot of wrestling, have you seen Giant Gonzalez yet? Because if you haven't, you're in for a treat. Especially if it's the WrestleMania 9 attire.

oh no i don't like this

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
the shoes make it worse somehow

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Kurrgan at least won more matches than he lost, as far as I know.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DOA were probably higher on the WWF card than Chavo and Hammer ever were on the WCW card.

...That says more about WWF sucking than anything but hey!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lid posted:

Ron Reese is kind of fascinating because I'm not sure any other company has had a seven foot wrestler that was used just as a jobber. He wasn't even used as a how can anyone beat Reece? The world's ostentatious giant loser.
Not to mention treated like a job guy AND utterly forgettable at that. I loved Reese and I never understood why he was just a minor background character! I am sure he was bad in the ring, but think about how bad other enormous men have been, surely he was not AS bad as them?!?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Kurrgan was supposed to go over Ahmed on tv but Ahmed refused to do the job and got fired.

Edit: this is apparently incorrect. Ahmed was supposed to get beaten down by the Truth Commission but Ahmed left before the match because his sister was having a health emergency.

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 31, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Not to mention treated like a job guy AND utterly forgettable at that. I loved Reese and I never understood why he was just a minor background character! I am sure he was bad in the ring, but think about how bad other enormous men have been, surely he was not AS bad as them?!?

Wrath and Adam Bomb were pretty cool; we'd never have gotten them if somebody hadn't invested in The Nightstalker

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dr. Quarex posted:

He was indeed extremely bad and not even impressively strong considering his size.

Here's a question: has WWE's Performance Center/training program improved any over the past couple of years? It's getting brought up a lot lately as a benefit that WWE holds over AEW, but I've never seen anyone good come out of the WWE system unless they were already good on the indies and NXT is basically a pipeline to needing knee surgery.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Kurrgan was supposed to go over Ahmed on tv but Ahmed refused to do the job and got fired.

Edit: this is apparently incorrect. Ahmed was supposed to get beaten down by the Truth Commission but Ahmed left before the match because his sister was having a health emergency.

It's fine. Ahmed was apparently a colossal jerk that nobody liked in other ways. Why do you pick Ron Simmons of all people to start something with?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

He was indeed extremely bad and not even impressively strong considering his size.

Here's a question: has WWE's Performance Center/training program improved any over the past couple of years? It's getting brought up a lot lately as a benefit that WWE holds over AEW, but I've never seen anyone good come out of the WWE system unless they were already good on the indies and NXT is basically a pipeline to needing knee surgery.

Everything I've read over the years is that WWE PC is only really good at teaching you the WWE style, which isn't that great imo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Ahmed was supposed to get beaten down by the Truth Commission

A bunch of white South Africans beating down a black guy. Yikes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sisal Two-Step posted:

oh no i don't like this

It's worth noting that normally, Gonzalez had fur covering his entire bikini area, like a He-Man character. At WrestleMania 9, not only did they go with that "Ken doll with pubes" look, but he had a fake bare butt painted over the back of his tights.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gavok posted:

It's worth noting that normally, Gonzalez had fur covering his entire bikini area, like a He-Man character. At WrestleMania 9, not only did they go with that "Ken doll with pubes" look, but he had a fake bare butt painted over the back of his tights.

You can’t just talk about it and not post a picture

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

A bunch of white South Africans beating down a black guy. Yikes.
The Truth Commission is low-key one of the grossest ideas.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

I never even noticed the change lmao. I wish I was in the room when that decision was made.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CombineThresher posted:

The WWE Performance Center is about to turn ten years old on July 11. Looking at wrestlers who are currently on the WWE main roster who started wrestling around/after that date who had no wrestling training before July 2013, true "WWE Performance Center" products are B-Fab, Bianca Belair, Alexa Bliss, Rick Boogs, Dana Brooke, Carmella, Commander Azeez, Baron Corbin, Sonya Deville, Chad Gable, Nia Jax, Xia Li, Liv Morgan, Madcap Moss, Omos, Raquel Rodriguez, both Street Profits, Braun Strowman, and Top Dolla.

Obviously a mixed bag that mostly checks Vince Boxes, and the four standouts to me (Bianca, Gable, Dawkins, Ford) were all pretty high level athletes that (eventually) got the hang of pro wrestling; Dawkins and Gable have been in the WWE system for a decade so who knows how they might have developed if they trained somewhere else.

For reference, some of the bigger non-WWE stars that started wrestling training* after the Performance Center opened:

2013 - Yuka Sakazaki, Jay White
2014 - Darby Allin, Thunder Rosa, Momo Wantanabe, Lio Rush, Wheeler Yuta
2015 - Brody King, Jungle Boy, Lee Moriarty, Max Caster, MJF, Britt Baker, Jamie Hayter, Willow Nightingale, Starlight Kid, Jungle Kyona, Kiera Hogan
2016 - Top Flight, Kris Statlander, Masha Slamovich, Tam Nakano, Shun Skywalker, Kevin Blackwood
2017 - Blake Christian, Chris Bey, Ren Narita, Shota Umino
2018 - Daniel Garcia, Mei Suruga

I'm sure I am missing a lot of people but if you want to defend the WWE Performance Center as producing WWE Superstars you can make the argument, though compared to the list of people who have made it outside of WWE PC you probably need to spin it as "WWE Superstars" over "great professional wrestlers".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

The WWE Performance Center is about to turn ten years old on July 11. Looking at wrestlers who are currently on the WWE main roster who started wrestling around/after that date who had no wrestling training before July 2013, true "WWE Performance Center" products are B-Fab, Bianca Belair, Alexa Bliss, Rick Boogs, Dana Brooke, Carmella, Commander Azeez, Baron Corbin, Sonya Deville, Chad Gable, Nia Jax, Xia Li, Liv Morgan, Madcap Moss, Omos, Raquel Rodriguez, both Street Profits, Braun Strowman, and Top Dolla.

Even then if you're limiting it to people who have "thrived" in the WWE universe and aren't relegated to expendable status your list gets far shorter. As with current booking only half of that list is seeing significant TV time and fewer still are being booked on top.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

What about people who were trained in the PC but have since been released?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Sandman McMahon posted:

What about people who were trained in the PC but have since been released?
In terms of people who had zero training before the WWE signing, there are a ton of people I've barely heard of. There are a decent number that made it to NXT/Main Roster but don't really seem to be wrestling much/at all post release (Tucker, Lana, Eva Marie, Mandy Rose, Authors of Pain)

In terms of active wrestlers you've basically got Josh Woods, Tay Melo, Tiger Ruas, Marina Shafir, and Parker Boudreaux?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is Austin's worst match after returning from his neck injury? A real match, not a "match", if the distinction matters.

His match against Owen at Survivor Series 97 was pretty poor and over waaaay too quickly. His first world title match against Shawn at WrestleMania was not a patch on their King of the Ring 97 match. The first match against Dude Love at Unforgiven is very boring, but they were saving themselves for the amazing sequel at Over The Edge. His SummerSlam match against Undertaker gets a lot of hate but I like it, as well as their First Bood match a year later. He had a terrible terrible match against HHH at No Mercy 99 which is Austin beating him up for twenty minutes and HHH wins by fluke.

If you mean post-surgery Austin from 2000 onwards, then his match with Rikishi at No Mercy is pretty bad. Unforgiven 2001 he loses the title to Angle in a match that is nowhere near as good as their SummerSlam one.

He had an absolute stinker with Chris Jericho at No Way Out 2002 in which WWE weren't willing to book their new heel champion strong over an established star, so the entire thing is a mess, with a lame NWO interference finish. Which lead to his WrestleMania 18 match with Scott Hall which was a total nothing. Should have been Austin and Angle as uneasy allies taking on The Outsiders.

The rest of his 2002 was filled with Big Show and Ric Flair matches that I can't say if they're outright bad or not, but very unmemorable. Austin was a total relic in 2002.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Austin had a downright terrible Buried Alive match with Undertaker at Rock Bottom in December 1998. Woof (although that can be said for most of that PPV).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sisal Two-Step posted:

oh no i don't like this

He looks like a Titan from Attack on Titan

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Cagematch has Backlash 2002 Austin vs Undertaker as Stone Cold's worst singles match.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I genuinely have no recollection of that match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Obviously a mixed bag that mostly checks Vince Boxes, and the four standouts to me (Bianca, Gable, Dawkins, Ford) were all pretty high level athletes that (eventually) got the hang of pro wrestling; Dawkins and Gable have been in the WWE system for a decade so who knows how they might have developed if they trained somewhere else.

Dawkins also took like 8 years before he got paired with Ford and they got over. Prior to that he was constantly hovering in that 'generic wrestler-like product' zone. Gable was always gonna be good at the in-ring side, but his size is the issue in the WWE system. If he'd decided to try it on the indies, I'd bet he'd have gotten into that Gresham/ZSJ/Josh Alexander/Timothy Thatcher niche pretty easily.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Dawkins also took like 8 years before he got paired with Ford and they got over. Prior to that he was constantly hovering in that 'generic wrestler-like product' zone. Gable was always gonna be good at the in-ring side, but his size is the issue in the WWE system. If he'd decided to try it on the indies, I'd bet he'd have gotten into that Gresham/ZSJ/Josh Alexander/Timothy Thatcher niche pretty easily.
It was only five years between signing and the Street Profits performing but yeah, he was the reason for the "eventually" parenthetical; Belair, Ford, and Gable all were put on TV within a year or so of signing and were winning matches within two years.

But yeah, it's hard to know if anyone exclusively in the WWE system would be more/less successful if they'd somehow started working Chikara and PWG ten years ago instead, or to counter what would have happened with Statlander or Caster had they been scooped up by WWE before they started training at Create a Pro.

It *is* kind of telling that after more than a decade of allegedly focusing on their own development pipeline instead of hiring people from the indies, and talking about how the priority is to train and develop Future Wrestlemania Main Eventers, the past five Manias have been headlined by three (soon to be four) former Ring of Honor champions, three (maybe soon to be four?) former PWG champions, and basically one (two I guess if you count Ronda) genuinely homegrown WWE PC trainee.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think ronda was training at santino bros with marina and jessamyn before she went to the pc but thats probably splitting hairs

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, everyone! It's been weird seeing the PC brought up so much by people who in particular think Jade Cargill and Britt Baker need to "learn how to work" and point to current NXT as examples of the PC's superior training. The last time I tried to watch NXT, I was so embarrassed for everyone involved that I shut it off after like 15 minutes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its very clear that wrestlers in wwe's system with no prior experience are now just taught to rehearse matches and spots instead of learning how to call things on the fly

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

angelo dawkins should randomly bring back his backpack rapper gimmick for one show with zero explanation

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

edogawa rando posted:

I genuinely have no recollection of that match.

There are literally only two things I remember about it:

1.) Flair was the guest referee (I think he was kind of sort of feuding with both guys at the time as Raw GM?).
2.) There's a funny bit at the start where it looks like they're going to do a test of strength, only for Austin to give Taker the finger instead; Taker gives out a very loud and very audible "gently caress!" in response.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Earlier today I was thinking about Cody's run as Stardust - more specifically, I was thinking about the famously bad match he had against Dustin near the end of that run, and how they put on a classic the next time they met at Double or Nothing 2019. Is there another case in wrestling history of there being such a wide disparity in quality between two consecutive contests featuring the same competitors?

Hogan/Warrior 1 was one of the best matches that either of them ever wrestled. Hogan/Warrior 2 is one of the worst matches of all time

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Venomous posted:

Hogan/Warrior 1 was one of the best matches that either of them ever wrestled. Hogan/Warrior 2 is one of the worst matches of all time

Oh, good call - that might be the very worst in terms of difference in WOR ratings (***3/4 to -*****)

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, Rude vs Chono in the G1 and then at Halloween Havoc 92. In between Austin broke Chono's neck (on guess what kind of piledriver!) and Chono came back wayyyyyyyyyy too early.

That's fascinating, I wasn't even aware that Austin broke Chono's neck (much less the way he did it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Alaois posted:

angelo dawkins should randomly bring back his backpack rapper gimmick for one show with zero explanation

What is a backpack rapper? Just a rapper wearing a backpack?