Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Apparently it's imc who experimented and discovered this one weird trick then convinced Elon to do it lol

Hahaha, Jesus Christ:

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1620563455961960451?cxt=HHwWhsC8iZH4sv0sAAAA

https://twitter.com/KnowNothingTV/status/1620706384487784449/photo/1

God, so many of them are genuinely going the route of "Try this one secret trick! Rogue Antifa Communist agents in Twitter hate it!" - including the actual owner of the hellsite himself. Like, what the hell is there even to say? It's all just so fantastically, unbelievably dumb.

And you know what's likely to happen? They will turn their accounts from private, cheer themselves for "fixing" the issue, then in a week or two they'll be right back to whining about engagement, and Musk will again drop everything to try and placate them, convinced that he'll be able to eventually satisfy his "friends." Even though by nature of the grift, that can literally NEVER happen, so this dumb cycle will just go on, and on, and on.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

what stupid trick will they fall for next??

will it be the old "oh cool did you know this website automatically censors your password if you accidentally post it? check it out: ******** now you try it"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Mx. posted:

will it be the old "oh cool did you know this website automatically censors your password if you accidentally post it? check it out: ******** now you try it"

Interesting.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

hunter2

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
If I was the genius engineer billionaire owner of a major social media company, I'd simply call up my finest coders and ask them to look into this and then listen to what they conclude, and get them to fix it if there is a problem.

This is why I am not a billionaire :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mx. posted:

I'm just hoping at some point that it must be musk messing with them and just turn on him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol if there's some kind of emergent behavior in tHe AlGoRiThM that watches for some kind of set of trends like, oh, for four months or so, your account gets progressively fewer views despite more posts, so it assumes you're being a troll and it deliberately cranks down your reach

This algorithm would be built to respond to actual engagement numbers, but it wouldn't take into account "the site in general is tanking so there's fewer people altogether" as opposed to "your account in particular sucks"

Twitter in my headcanon is designed to smother itself to death if it ever gets sick

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Looking into it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Setting your account to private might make the system ignore the anti-spam/offensive content algorithms that govern the feed. Because nobody would willingly follow an account that was just that poo poo, right? They must want to see it all.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Castor Poe posted:

IEatDogCum1488

@ElonMusk hEy im not getting as many likes as usjual what is going on

looking into it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, extremely concerning!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Is there even a way of telling if the view count is accurate and doesn't just glitch out on private tweets?

edit: Tweets made while privated*

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lmao twitter is certainly exposing the biggest idiots.

Like it always was but now somehow moreso.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Lmao twitter is certainly exposing the biggest idiots.

Like it always was but now somehow moreso.

First clue is that it’s called “Twitter”.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

thin blue whine posted:

Is there even a way of telling if the view count is accurate and doesn't just glitch out on private tweets?

the view count is either broken or intentionally misleading; tweets on protected accounts with 0 followers can still get views.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

arsenicCatnip posted:

the view count is either broken or intentionally misleading; tweets on protected accounts with 0 followers can still get views.

hey now

twitter is also broken so that sometimes protected tweets are visible to non-followers and can be retweeted

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it would be a weirdly elegant solution to lovely tweeters that no one wants to read to just give them some fake numbers about their tweets getting more engagement when they make it so no one can see their posts

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
It's like watching a bunch of cavemen discovering a spaceship

I PRESSED THE BLUE BUTTON IT MADE A FUNNY NOISE

OK ILL PRESS IT TOO

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

armpit_enjoyer posted:

they should team up

That is not how you hold a sax

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Elon going private over this poo poo when he owns the site is extremely good content. It would have been extremely good content even without him joining in, but it is the perfect cherry on top.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol Elon owns the company but is doing this stupid test anyway because he wants to be one of the boys lololol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can he just remain on private?

TIA

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
It's not even a particularly good or useful "test". Basically completely anecdotal and without context. Feels like lovely engineering to me. Would probably be suuuuper useful to have a meeting with all the software people who made all this stuff, wonder where most of them are now

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Steadiman posted:

I Feels like lovely engineering to me.

title of the elon musk biography

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
More likely he'd put everyone on his private list to ensure his wisdom is never missed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

it's not engineering and it's not science. It's unfalsifiable performative flailing

It's a field in which we lead the world

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mx. posted:

elon is literally the dumbest man alive, this is incredible

It's quite an accomplishment when Trump is still alive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bless this thread. I do not enjoy my time on Twitter and haven't for a while so this is the best place to get updates on Certified Genius Elon Musk.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They broke the spell for me by killing third party apps. I only check Twitter on my computer where I still have access to tweetdeck but there's nothing on there that I need to see bad enough to download their official app on my phone. Being able to circumvent the bullshit on Twitter by viewing it through the lens of a third party app took some of the sting off but uh thanks for making me realize how little I need to check Twitter, Elon. Makes me wonder how many other users were just lost to them forever by making that move.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
All the poo poo people on Twitter seem to have a Poochie complex.

“I have some suggestions to make the site better. When I’m not posting, everyone else on Twitter should be posting ‘where’s catturd?’”

It’s going to be a hoot watching this snowball over time as more and more normal functioning people block these assholes or quit the site entirely. There’s a reason why none of the other two dozen conservative Twitter sites ever took off and it’s because no one wants to engage with their repugnant personalities and constant need to play the victim. They don’t even like each another, going by how desperate they were to get back on Twitter.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The last time I logged on, I blocked every single right-wing grifter. Not any politicians, just white noise posters like Shapiro.

It made things a lot more tolerable for that day but who knows if it stuck.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Back before 2019, you could import other people's blocklists into your own account. Twitter also didn't care about you mass-blocking people, so you could just visit Andy Ngo's profile and block every single one of his followers and live a life of peace.

Unfortunately, terfs raised a stink because everybody started blocking them en masse, so the feature was removed (and relegated to janky third-party apps) and there's now a strict rate limit for blocking. If you exceed the limit, you get logged out.

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 1, 2023

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Sometimes I wonder if there is a Cat Turd Prime who is wholly good because they purged their darker, stupider aspect into the shell known as catturd2, but Cat Turd Prime can't be wholly good because, in their greed for purity, they created something that posts this badly\influentially and, due to this mistake in reasoning, Prime is still burdened with an essential impurity. The thought vexes me because this error, rather than catturd2 himself, feels like the essential paradox at the heart of the internet from which all other online miseries arise. I tried asking my reverend about it and his wife pointed a rifle at me and said the restraining order is still in place, so idk.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want to hope someone trolled them into thinking this was the magic solve-the-metrics move. :allears:

Also Elon why do you need to "test this" when you have full access to the back-end and can see the actual functionality code driving this, you idiot manchild? We all know you're doing it to suck up to the other mean kids and hope they'll like you, just stop it.

It's just sad at this point.

This is what I would do if I didn't know how to work the system and I'd fired everyone who could do it for me.

Elon is that guy who buys a manual 4wd and can't drive stick.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
holy gently caress these people are dumb as hell

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/vexwerewolf/status/1620797846223196161

lol. lmao

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Who the gently caress is the quartering? It's like there's a new twitter main nazi every day and I can't keep up.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh man you are in for some deep lore lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mobby_6kl posted:

Who the gently caress is the quartering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Ignoring the "deep lore," what horrible picture did he share?