Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

So my understanding from asking elsewhere is that for priming I still need to put on a solid coat and ideally it should be in 2-3 coats. If it's taking 4-5 what could that be a sign of? Paint too thin? Pressure too low? I'm mixing primer/color:thinner in 1:1 for now and spraying at about 20psi.

Rather than being a slave to a ratio you should target consistency of the thinned paint. When you slosh it around in the cup does it leave a thin film that slowly slides down the side, or does it all just come right down into the puddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

War and Pieces posted:

heads up that it won't work on anything older than the Zaku/Gundam 2.0 generation
Thanks for the warning. Were they made differently before then or something?

As for the paint consistency it was pretty watery and more like the latter, I guess that means it was a bit thin?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

As for the paint consistency it was pretty watery and more like the latter, I guess that means it was a bit thin?

Sounds like it may be a bit on the thin side, yeah. Too thin is better than too thick, and as others have said you can always add more but you can't take it back off. Try adding some paint a few drops at a time and spray some plastic spoons to see how it goes on until you get to your optimal ratio.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anyone here use hobbylink japan? does the virtual warehouse service actually let you save money on shipping?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Yes, because stock levels are pretty hosed and you can hold stuff indefinitely (at the moment, and they send whiney emails) until you have a decent amount of stuff instead of shipping them all individually

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Yes, because stock levels are pretty hosed and you can hold stuff indefinitely (at the moment, and they send whiney emails) until you have a decent amount of stuff instead of shipping them all individually

Indefinitely now? Thanks, that saves me a stack of cash. I donate to political campaigns, so I'm immune to whiny emails, but cash is cash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

To be fair, they do legit have reason to try and poke people to ship their poo poo, because they've said their warehouses get fairly full and they just do not have the space for everyone to store every little thing they order and hold.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Indefinitely now? Thanks, that saves me a stack of cash. I donate to political campaigns, so I'm immune to whiny emails, but cash is cash.

Been that way for the last few years, for obvious reasons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Valimar had a 'countdown to auto-ship' in my warehouse so I dunno

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I finished the Zaku from the RX-78-2 vs Zaku kit. No pictures, the poseability on it sucks poo poo, and it just feels like a shoddy build all around. I couldn't figure out how to store the bazooka on the back clip, I saw pictures from other HG Zaku kits but this one just didn't work no matter what I tried, it would just fall off. Kinda disappointing, but it is an older kit. Maybe the newer Zakus fare better, I'll have to pick one up. The store I usually frequent had a Char's Zaku kit but apparently it's a 2002 design and I have to imagine it might be worse than this one (though it could be better, who knows!).

So moving on to the most recent kit I've finished (though I haven't done the backpack/weapons yet), it's Lfrith! This is a good and fun kit, but this picture sums up my feelings while building it:

It's kind of just been one fuckup after another. It started with the eye and front camera stickers, which are microscopic. Two of them were lost because I breathed wrong and they went flying. Fortunately for me, the green molded plastic piece in the center of the head works perfectly fine for the eyes and front camera, so the stickers aren't really needed. Still, it felt bad to lose them so easily.

The second fuckup which was much more major (though still not devastating) was the permet lines piece. You have three options: a special molded piece with permet lines that looks really amazing (the E part), and a shaded clear part (the A part) where you can apply one of two stickers: one with permet lines, and a solid black one in case you want a non permet Lfrith. I wanted the E part because it looks so much nicer than the A part with the sticker. Except I didn't check how it connected to the torso, and the instructions did not have the usual little "Hey, make sure this bit is still on the part!" notice for the E part. So I cut the top of the E part smooth...and it needed the nubs to snap into the torso. Now, of course this didn't ruin the build. I still had the A part and the sticker, sure it doesn't look as nice but it still is there. And if I really desperately wanted the E piece no matter what, I could always use glue. Still, I went with the A piece and the permet line sticker, but it felt bad. Really bad. It was the first major fuckup I've had building a model and it would have been bad if there hadn't been a backup.

The third fuckup which was minor but I can't do anything about (at least for now) is the pink lines on the "kneecap." They're small stickers that you stick to the sides of the part. The metallic stickers seem more resilient than the normal stickers I used for the RX-78-2 and I was having a slightly harder time getting them off the sheet. I was folding the sheet a bit and grabbing the edge with the tweezers, then peeling it out that way. Which mostly worked, until I got to the first sticker for the kneecap. I ended up ripping the pink front off the metallic sticky back. So I was left with a non sticky pink piece of paper. Well, I can't do anything at all about that, at the moment. I know I can get a Gundam marker and just color it pink where the sticker should be, but I don't have any Gundam markers so at the moment the right side of the right knee is just uncolored.

Like I said it's a good kit it's just I've screwed up a ton, so it feels bad. I've still enjoyed it though, for the most part!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Been priming my Sinanju and airbrushing really is a revelation, goddamn. The initial outlay was huge but now I'm past that it feels smooth sailing.

Had a look through my MG Aile Strike RM2 box and may actually be even more excited to paint that since the parts aren't microscopic. Lack of space may be a bit of a nightmare but I think I've figured out how I'm going to do it: Build section-by-section and paint everything in a section at once before moving on, rather than one color across the whole kit. Will probably take more time and waste a bit of paint but that's life.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I finished the Zaku from the RX-78-2 vs Zaku kit. No pictures, the poseability on it sucks poo poo, and it just feels like a shoddy build all around. I couldn't figure out how to store the bazooka on the back clip, I saw pictures from other HG Zaku kits but this one just didn't work no matter what I tried, it would just fall off. Kinda disappointing, but it is an older kit. Maybe the newer Zakus fare better, I'll have to pick one up. The store I usually frequent had a Char's Zaku kit but apparently it's a 2002 design and I have to imagine it might be worse than this one (though it could be better, who knows!).

highly recommend this one: https://galactictoys.com/products/b...88aAh93EALw_wcB

it's from 2020 and is an improvement on the older hg zaku in every way. a super fun low stress hg to build and ends up looking great and super poseable. have also heard great things about the HGTO (the Origin) zakus but havent built one myself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oomfie is complete

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pierson posted:

The first MG kits didn't have a full internal frame, only some of bigger chunkier parts had it, they also relied on pokycops for every joint and weren't injection molded in the right colors so painting (and gap filling) was mandatory.

Unfortunately if you're a 0083 or 08th MS Team fan those are your only options for MG.

Kampfer, Zaku I and Guncannon are also overdue for remakes, probably a few others.

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm really looking forward to the new zeta.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

War and Pieces posted:

The first MG kits didn't have a full internal frame, only some of bigger chunkier parts had it, they also relied on pokycops for every joint and weren't injection molded in the right colors so painting (and gap filling) was mandatory.

Unfortunately if you're a 0083 or 08th MS Team fan those are your only options for MG.

Kampfer, Zaku I and Guncannon are also overdue for remakes, probably a few others.

I'm honestly surprised that we never got a Zaku I out of the 2.0 Zaku II. There's countless pilot custom variants and even the Gouf 2.0 is based on it, but nope. There's a special place in my heart for that design since the Black Tri-Stars version was the first MG I built not long after it came out in *checks dalong* uh, 1999 :ohno:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anyone here build the tallgeese mg? I'm interested but I heard that its got problems with the backpack joint

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have, and it's been pretty solid. The biggest problem I had with thing was assembling the cannon thanks to the kinda funky recoil mechanism. You'll want a stand if you want to do anything with really fun posing, since it's kinda topheavy, but all the joints have been solid as can be for years.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What’s the story behind Dalong? Is it just one person? Where do all of these kits come from? Are they sponsored? Is that why all of their reviews seem at least cordial, or are they just polite in general?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

CommunityEdition posted:

What’s the story behind Dalong? Is it just one person? Where do all of these kits come from? Are they sponsored? Is that why all of their reviews seem at least cordial, or are they just polite in general?

Maybe it’s like that guy that does 1:6 scale figure reviews that shills toyswonderland every chance he gets (sponsored?)

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
All I know is that Mr. Dalong loves to smoke

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I found a HG Aerial in the wild but it was running at like 5x RRP lol gently caress that man

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I found a HG Aerial in the wild but it was running at like 5x RRP lol gently caress that man

Should go down eventually. Bandai's been pumping out Aerials at a good rate (it's one of the best selling model kits of the year, despite the low retail price). It's just that right now it's combining the high pandemic era demand for gunpla with the high demand for the flagship machine of a new Gundam series. Makes it a bit hard to find.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Yeah it has had a ton of restocks since it launched, just gotta be patient and maybe follow a couple of facebook groups/ discords

edit: dammit this lead me to look around for one but instead I found Newtype has the Pharact and normal Demi trainer in stock and I had to order those.

boz fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 30, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

anyone here build the tallgeese mg? I'm interested but I heard that its got problems with the backpack joint

Nah, it's a great kit. Just about 100% correct color out of the box and goes together like a dream. As grassy gnoll observes the recoil spring thing in the gun is kind of weird but you can just glue it solid.

CommunityEdition posted:

One guy, but he has some sponsoring shops that send him free stuff and given his prominence and comprehensive catalog I'd be surprised if Bandai doesn't have direct communication with him to some degree.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Valimar had a 'countdown to auto-ship' in my warehouse so I dunno

They've left the old system in place because they don't want this situation to continue indefinitely but poo poo kept hitting the fan. You're free to keep ignoring the autoship stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Argas posted:

They've left the old system in place because they don't want this situation to continue indefinitely but poo poo kept hitting the fan. You're free to keep ignoring the autoship stuff.

Oh, well there you go then

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Finally got my 1/48 scale RX-78F00 from Side Seven Imports. Only took 366 days. :haw:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yeah, gently caress that guy.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Finally got my 1/48 scale RX-78F00 from Side Seven Imports. Only took 366 days. :haw:

Well, drat. If you got yours maybe there's hope for mine....

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Seems like Aerial Rebuild is out of stock everywhere. Is there any place left with it available for pre-order? Haven't found anything the last couple days, shot in the dark.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

This looks like a combination of a Kampfer and Sazabi.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What is that? It looks cool.

e: it's the kampfer schwer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really wish the Kampfer variants would do something with the fact that it's built out of a kit. Where's the civilian Kampfer that you order out of the Neo-Sears Catalogue? In-universe Kampfers should be pretty modular, do something with that. It was built for a one-man suicide mission, so there should be Kampfers for all varieties of no-extraction style missions.

Instead all of the Kampfer variants I've seen just iterate on the fact that it look cool.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The version with the Quattro shades keep selling out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Is this confirmed? I'm getting all the passive aggressive emails but only have an HG Aerial in there. I only had a shipment about a month ago so I'm not in a rush to fill a basket in order to get it sent more optimally, I'd rather wait for the March/April releases which they hopefully haven't misrepresented stock levels for again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
just give me this

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1524410388506451970

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That one rocks, reminds me of the Gerbera-Tetra.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this confirmed? I'm getting all the passive aggressive emails but only have an HG Aerial in there. I only had a shipment about a month ago so I'm not in a rush to fill a basket in order to get it sent more optimally, I'd rather wait for the March/April releases which they hopefully haven't misrepresented stock levels for again.

Yes, but obviously they want to ship your poo poo because it costs them to hold it, and it could revert at any moment

https://support.hlj.com/hc/en-us/articles/900000454003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I placed an order on the 29th of December (for stuff not due out until this month) and on the 1st of January got an email saying "IT'S BEEN A YEAR SINCE YOU BOUGHT THINGS, PLEASE SHIP YOUR WAREHOUSE" which was mildly funny.