Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Clinton probably would have taken the medical advice sooner and been applauded for being sensible and science-led, and then as soon as businesses and stocks started taking a hit would have come out of lockdown sooner and killed a bunch of people, but combined it with a tax relief program so the middle classes wouldn't care.

We'd probably have had an overlap of mad poo poo from trying to do both, like having to use a straw to drink under your mask etc.

E: unlike the middle classes and up I pay my tax:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The party paid for a lot of "how to look normal" classes for him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ChaplainChloe/status/1620773847950839808?s=19

Lmao, unacceptable to call the proudly Apartheid state an Apartheid state.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He has the biggest Buster Bluth energy of any non-fictional man I've ever seen.

E: well, could be Starmer, could be Hancock now.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Not "a fascist apartheid state", it's just sparkling "carrying out genocidal apartheid policies".

Died with covid, died of covid == still dead.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Potato, tomato
Tomato, potato
Let's call the whole thing off

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/IndyVoices/status/1620732149115527173?t=LrTzPnI0hVNgkr0o-pzLow&s=19

Some choice panic in this one:

Poor Indy journalist saw a pomeranian and died.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/IndyVoices/status/1620732149115527173?t=LrTzPnI0hVNgkr0o-pzLow&s=19

I don't support this change in the law but I do understand the parent's instincts here.

No random stranger, I don't want your Staffie sniffing round my three year old. Please make some effort to keep them back.

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah I read that, it's very bizarre. "Here are a bunch of tragic cases that all happened in people's gardens or homes, so putting all dogs on leads will solve this!"

I also like how she talks about her children being scared of dogs, it's probably because you admitted to scooping them up the second a sausage dog comes tottering by.

This is the thing, there are dogs and there are dogs. I make an effort to keep my children away from dogs who might not like the attention until it's very clear the owner has said it's ok. I think it's courtesy to expect the same thing especially when the dog has the potential to actually kill the kid.

Usually if it's a passing poodle we'll have the first conversation, if it's a passing Akita more likely the second.

It's not rocket science. More animal husbandary.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 1, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah I read that, it's very bizarre. "Here are a bunch of tragic cases that all happened in people's gardens or homes, so putting all dogs on leads will solve this!"

I also like how she talks about her children being scared of dogs, it's probably because you admitted to scooping them up the second a sausage dog comes tottering by.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would simply fight and defeat a dog, it would be easy for me.

Children should be trained in dog disabling techniques.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
What's going on with Tesco? They're firing everyone and rebranding as a stationers? I may have some of these details wrong, what's new

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I keep several small dogs in orbit around me at all times specifically because of British swans, which I have been told can break your arm with a look, a bit like a misdemeanour level basilisk.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I will continue to let my little dog run around the park off lead

Hope she doesn't snuffle anyone's trouser-leg to a fatal end

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mega Comrade posted:

This poo poo does my head in. In-laws made their kids terrified of dogs by doing exactly this. I see people when I'm walking my dog and their reaction makes their own dog scared of mine. Mine is always on a lead because whilst he is friendly, he simply won't come back if he's having a good time - but you can't win because folks think that he's aggressive because he's not off lead.

Edit: My dog, sat thinking about why others don't play with him.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Saw a pomeranian you say
Didn't realise I could weaponise my dog to kill journalists

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A much better solution is banning dogs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

A much better solution is banning swans.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Children shouldn't be allowed out unless muzzled

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Children should be taught that any dog/cat they see is a potential source of danger and should be respected and given a wide berth. It's this weird thing in the UK where it's ok to pet every single furry thing on the street that gets tourists bitten by the mongrels in the rest of the world.

Even if they're not rabid killers you know those noses have smelt some poo poo.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Zalakwe posted:

This is the thing, there are dogs and there are dogs. I make an effort to keep my children away from dogs who might not like the attention until it's very clear the owner has said it's ok. I think it's courtesy to expect the same thing especially when the dog has the potential to actually kill the kid.

Usually if it's a passing poodle we'll have the first conversation, if it's a passing Akita more likely the second.

It's not rocket science. More animal husbandary.

I have a staffie and she's off lead 95% of her time on walks. She goes on for small children who haven't met her before, for the carers who walk their patients in the area and dogs we don't know. The former(s) is for their reassurance and comfort, the latter is for her safety.

I completely agree it's good courtesy.

I am totally game for changing laws around dogs. But only if the welfare of the dog is actually thought about. The "all dogs on leads' people seem to just ignore that UK gardens are tiny and dog parks are almost non existent.

Z the IVth posted:

Children should be taught that any dog/cat they see is a potential source of danger and should be respected and given a wide berth. It's this weird thing in the UK where it's ok to pet every single furry thing on the street that gets tourists bitten by the mongrels in the rest of the world.

Even if they're not rabid killers you know those noses have smelt some poo poo.

Haha I've actually had this discussion with two different strangers children who just ran up to my dog and started petting it.
"Now shes very friendly and would love pats, but you should always ask the owner if its ok because some doggies can be a little grumpy or scared of children" Kids seem to get this message fine if you actually tell them it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 1, 2023

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Alternative solution: keep your children inside so that I don't have to hear about everything that you're afraid of happening to them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I would never assume that I could pet any dog, unless it came up to me and was displaying the signals that it wanted rubs (you know it when you see it I guess, but basically enthusiastic consent... for dogs).

But then I have memories from childhood of being chased by packs of semi-feral dogs that would just be left out to roam the streets all day in the 80s, so that was probably formative.

Most little kids that encounter my dog are like "puppy!" but won't pet without encouragement and my dog is pretty unenthusiastic about Stranger Rub so it's fine and no physical interaction occurs.

E: Mega Comrade said it all perfectly imo

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 1, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The amount of lost dog notices that pop up every single day in the local forest's facebook group is astounding. It's always a case of "Oh they just bolted and didn't listen to my commands, they're never like this!!".

Dogs aren't the problem, it's owners not doing even the slightest bit of training with them. It's really not cool to let your dog off a lead and let them go up to random strangers, and also on the other hand, it's also not cool for random people to get dogs all excited when they're not their owners. Don't pet random dogs without the owners permission tbh.

There are lots of people around who have a legitimate phobia/fear of dogs, it's just a simple matter of respecting other people's boundaries honestly. Unless your dog has perfect recall you shouldn't be letting it off a lead outside ever, for the dog's welfare and others.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mega Comrade posted:

It shouldn't be underestimated what a high percentage of dog owners are poo poo. Go to any area requiring dogs to be on leads and I'd expect more to be off lease than on. It's also routine for signs about dogs to be vandalised.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Mega Comrade posted:

I have a staffie and she's off lead 95% of her time on walks. She goes on for small children who haven't met her before, for the carers who walk their patients in the area and dogs we don't know. The former(s) is for their reassurance and comfort, the latter is for her safety.

I completely agree it's good courtesy.

I am totally game for changing laws around dogs. But only if the welfare of the dog is actually thought about. The "all dogs on leads' people seem to just ignore that UK gardens are tiny and dog parks are almost non existent.

Haha I've actually had this discussion with two different strangers children who just ran up to my dog and started petting it.
"Now shes very friendly and would love pats, but you should always ask the owner if its ok because some doggies can be a little grumpy or scared of children" Kids seem to get this message fine if you actually tell them it.

This is peak dogging imo *coughs*.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The absolute worst are people whose dogs think it's ok to jump up at you when you're out on a walk. Ruined a brand new coat once cos someone's dog just playfully jumped up and covered me in muddy paw prints. Never before have I been so close to breaking my British decorum and telling their meekly apologising owner that yes they should be loving sorry, and they can pay for my dry cleaning as well.

Of course, actually I just smiled awkwardly and said it was fine, then spent the rest of my walk fuming.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Dogs would be fine if people trained and looked after them properly, sadly most owners can't be bothered! Much easier for the owner to half-heartedly mumble 'sorry' as it bounds up to a stranger barking and growling, usually just before leaving a bag of mess tied to a tree for the next 6 months.

But I'm slightly biased having dealt with the old "don't worry he's fine / he's never done that before'" combo.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 1, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Children should be taught that any dog/cat they see is a potential source of danger and should be respected and given a wide berth.
Respected definitely - there was a video of a guy trying to teach his dog to sit on its back legs and beg for treats, and this kid came up behind it and hit it with an empty plastic bottle. The first time the kids hits it, the dog looks like "what the gently caress?" And the owner tells the kid not to do it. Second time the kid hits it, it clearly looks annoyed, and then the little poo poo comes back for a third and fourth go, and everyone acts like it's the dog's fault it eventually snaps.

https://www.yourtango.com/news/toddlers-parents-do-nothing-he-hits-unleashed-pit-bull-head-water-bottle-video

When I go out, my dog stays on leash and only comes off if I have a clear view of the surroundings, because I know he's overenthusiastic with people (and weird with other dogs unless we're careful about the introduction), and it doesn't matter if I know he's being friendly, all it takes is one knobhead to report him 'jumping up' or being 'out of control' and he could be taken away.

So while I broadly agree with her point about keeping dogs on leash (or at the absolute least within your eyeline and recall), her going full Karen and clutching her six year old up any time any dog appears in her eyeline, and calling the owners entitled for that is peak columnist brain.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

It shouldn't be underestimated what a high percentage of dog owners are poo poo. Go to any area requiring dogs to be on leads and I'd expect more to be off lease than on. It's also routine for signs about dogs to be vandalised.

Sadly there are very few rules about who can own or even breed a dog. Even people who are banned from owning dogs get very few repercussions when caught with new ones.

The Perfect Element posted:

The absolute worst are people whose dogs think it's ok to jump up at you when you're out on a walk. Ruined a brand new coat once cos someone's dog just playfully jumped up and covered me in muddy paw prints. Never before have I been so close to breaking my British decorum and telling their meekly apologising owner that yes they should be loving sorry, and they can pay for my dry cleaning as well.

Of course, actually I just smiled awkwardly and said it was fine, then spent the rest of my walk fuming.

This was one of the hardest things to train out of my dog. Because most of the people we meet are other dog walkers and often these sorts of people are more than happy to lather a jumping dog with attention when they jump up. Its very difficult to train a dog to not do something when it gets rewarded by other people for doing that exact thing.

JoylessJester posted:

Dogs would be fine if people trained and looked after them properly, sadly most owners can't be bothered! Much easier for the owner to half-heartedly mumble 'sorry' as it bounds up to a stranger barking and growling, usually just before leaving a bag of mess tied to a tree for the next 6 months.

But I'm slightly biased having dealt with the old "don't worry he's fine / he's never done that before'" combo.

I was walking in the South Downs the other day on holiday and had to carry a bag of poop for over an hour and a half on a very popular trail due to zero bins being anywhere. The local council even have a campaign about picking up after your dog, so why not install any sodding bins?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do we even know what breed of dog it was? Feel the news always has the owner tearfully telling the reporters his pedigree South Balkan Throatripper had always been well behaved until this point, while everyone who has a chihuahua is now branded as supporting child murder.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If a bit of mud ruins your coat, you probably shouldn’t wear it for a walk in the woods.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
the cow in my avatar ended up on my land because a dog got off leash and chased the herd

that one ended up with the cow back safe and unharmed, but sadly that's the less common outcome, and it often ends with injured or lost/dead cows

and every loving time the dog owners show up they deliver some variant of the same loving line, "oh but they never did anything like this before"

not to mention the amount of dogs that go missing in the local woodland, always new missing posters going up

I think the feral cows get em

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Letting dogs free near wild animals is just cruel imo, unless it's extremely chill and/or extremely well disciplined

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Same.
Also as I've mentioned on here before, I have had a lot of problems with my leg muscles and I have to walk regularly otherwise I would seize up - but sometimes it's quite painful and then some idiot person lets their dog come bounding up to me, jumping up at me, and I'm in a lot of pain, clothes ripped, and quite scared despite being about 5ft10.
(Should also mention my parents had a dog when I was a small child, had no clue how to train it*, and it used to pin me against the shed wall when I'd been to feed the goats - don't ask - and attack me, biting holes in my clothes. Absolutely terrifying).

I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners.

*it also used to run away and 'worry' sheep (rural community), killing them and cost my impoverished parents a fortune in fines. My parents have always been utterly useless at training animals.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 1, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Do we even know what breed of dog it was? Feel the news always has the owner tearfully telling the reporters his pedigree South Balkan Throatripper had always been well behaved until this point, while everyone who has a chihuahua is now branded as supporting child murder.
That was my concern because every time it turns out to be a staffy, I have to be poo poo hot about the boy's behaviour because everyone suddenly turns into The Dog Phrenologist and starts asking about his hablogroup.

Half the problem with owning a staffy isn't the dog, it's the expectations everyone has of the breed.

Here he is being a vicious uncontrollable beast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw several lads chasing a sheep up the A171 the other day. Not sure if it was recreational or it got out and they were trying to catch it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Excited to see which thread regular is going to get themselves added to the list of goons who are banned from posting about dogs or pets in general

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe they were Welsh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Excited to see which thread regular is going to get themselves added to the list of goons who are banned from posting about dogs or pets in general

b/c dog nonce or r/dogfree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Most people's idea of training a dog is yelling "stop it, why do you keep doing that?!" more at the world in general than the actual dog when it shits on the carpet for the eleventh time.