Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Trailer tires:

ST185/80R/D 13C

What means what?

185 80 13 are the measurements obviously, ST is (blank)Trailer R is still radial? D and C are??

E: D and C are speed and load rating probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've got a bit of conundrum coming up. I will be having to drive from Florida to Denver around March and staying around there for a while but I'm currently on Summer tires since it doesn't snow in Florida.

At least initially would getting a competent all season tire be worth it for the drive there and for the warmer months? Something along the lines of a Pilot Sport A/S or similar. I would eventually like to get a set of snow tires to deal with the really cold months but I have no idea what my situation will be later on in the year for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My very simple advice would be just don't drive in the snow for a bit if you can manage. Denver temps in March are pretty consistently above freezing except for at night, with of course some exceptions.

Then you can buy winter tires for the winter and keep summer tires for the summer, which is the ideal in places that have both hot and cold seasons. I am assuming you have a reasonably fun car to drive, hence summer tires, so you should keep those for fun on mountain roads in summer.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Any opinion on Laufenn or Ironman tires in AT style? They'd be going on my 03 suburban that gets used as a winter beater and light farm work.

Random reviews mention road noise but nothing terrible. They just seem to be like an off brand of Hankook and Cooper.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hankook isn't an off brand. They're not as big as Bridgestone or Michelin but they make very good tires in certain categories and fine ones in others.

There are all seasons that are somewhat specialized now. I would consider something like the Pilot AS tires to be a summer favoring all season with a compound that won't get you killed in the winter, but doesn't have the tread pattern to do a good job in the snow. On the other end you have the Crossclimate, which is almost a winter tire but won't give you the ice performance, but will not physically fall apart in the summer either.

I have two sets of tires for my daily drivers, and for my family car I have snow tires and planning on a summer favoring all season since it's not a track car.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

wesleywillis posted:

Trailer tires:

ST185/80R/D 13C

What means what?

185 80 13 are the measurements obviously, ST is (blank)Trailer R is still radial? D and C are??

E: D and C are speed and load rating probably?

ST - Something Trailer
185 - section width, basically width across the tread
80 - sidewall profile (80% of section width)
R13 - 13" wheel diameter

C/D/E are the load index, I expect in this size you'll mostly find C and D loads. Probably a fairly small trailer, but you should find a listed load cap in pounds @ X psi either on the tire or in the specs on the sale listing.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Laufenn is made by Hankook, as in it's like their off brand tire. Ironman has some kind of relation with Cooper. They're both significantly cheaper than the Coopers I was looking at and in asking because I've heard next to nothing about them.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Didn't see it in this thread so I'll ask here.

Anyone have experience with Simpletire.com

Their price was very good for the tires that I need, and they will ship to a local shop of your choosing.

I talked to the shop (chose from a list, 5-stars on Yelp with hundreds of good reviews) and it all sounded solid.

Am I a dope for doing this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Simpletire is legitimate and pretty good.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
We order a few of our brands through Simple Tire. Other than a couple sets of old-rear end Bridgestones (one set that was from 2017 that were shipped Dec '22, and a set of Blizzaks we ordered in Dec '21 that were date coded from 2010 :lol:) we've had a decent experience.

Check the date codes on the ones they ship you, otherwise they're basically just a tire distributor that happens to also sell direct to consumers instead of only to shops.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks for the input on SimpleTire.

I'll be sure to check the date codes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Your installing shop should be checking them as well. I know we get real bitchy if we get sent anything more than a year or two old, but sometimes it's unavoidable, especially for really weird sizes. I know the Blizzaks were some oddball sized runflat, and we ended up with a set that was ~3 years old in the end. The customer with the 5 year old Bridgestones didn't care to wait for another set to be delivered, so just took those even after we explained it to him.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

PitViper posted:

Your installing shop should be checking them as well. I know we get real bitchy if we get sent anything more than a year or two old, but sometimes it's unavoidable, especially for really weird sizes. I know the Blizzaks were some oddball sized runflat, and we ended up with a set that was ~3 years old in the end. The customer with the 5 year old Bridgestones didn't care to wait for another set to be delivered, so just took those even after we explained it to him.

Thanks for the info.

I might be in a similar situation. I've ordered Goodyear Eagle Touring tires for a Model S. My guess is that they don't sell a lot of these things. The 'good' news is that they wear out in about 15K miles, so I'm not going to be driving on them very long before I need yet another set. Lucky me.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I need to buy new tires for my Forester and I'm not really sure where to start. I spend most of my weekends in the summer adjacent to gravel roads, and I live in Oregon so while it doesn't snow much in town it's pretty consistently wet, and it does snow a bunch in the mountains (but I really only go up a handful of times a year). Will all terrain tires be overkill? Is the move to just sort by customer rating on Tire Rack or Discount Tire and find something in my price range?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Some more street pattern oriented all weather tires might be the ticket.
Pretty much every large manufacturer now makes at least one all weather model.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Crossclimate 2

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Crossclimate 2

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s pretty much the process, what you’ve outlined. Tell us the dimensions and/or year of the vehicle, and we can make recommendations too.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Crossclimate 2

These are pretty much ideal for your use case.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
If the CrossClimates are really that good then I'll get them, but I was also just hit with a huge tax bill so was hoping for something just a little cheaper. I was looking at some Pirelli P7 all seasons that seem well reviewed and have some nice rebates too.

I have a 2020 Forester, wheel size is 225 60R17.

edit: when I say adjacent to gravel roads I mean on them. I spend a lot of time hiking and camping and some of the forest roads can get pretty bad, but nothing the stock Bridgestones couldn't handle.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 24, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hold out for a discount tire sale, they frequently have holiday sales and rebates that let you stack em

Make sure you get their stupid credit card for even deeper discounts

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

For a one-set-of tires car, I’d do CrossClimate too. Good tires are worth it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Crossclimate 2 especially in Oregon because you will not need to carry chains (unless you want to) in the mountains during snow season.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Alright I’m sold, crossclimate2 it is. I can’t hold out too long for sales, the inside ~third of one of my tires is pretty much bald. The shop said I should get new tires within a month, and that was two weeks ago. The other three are fine.

Unless that’s not as dire as the shop made it out to be?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, that absolutely is a "fix this now" problem, along with inspecting the alignment and suspension to make sure you aren't going to murder your new tires. A 2020 Subaru shouldn't have massive wear on just one tire unless something else is broken.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

yoohoo posted:

Alright I’m sold, crossclimate2 it is. I can’t hold out too long for sales, the inside ~third of one of my tires is pretty much bald. The shop said I should get new tires within a month, and that was two weeks ago. The other three are fine.

Unless that’s not as dire as the shop made it out to be?

yeah thats bad.
If 1/3 of one tire is bald and the other three are fine,something ain't right.

If you're getting tires from a shop that only does tires, you pretty much should be driving from tire shop to (other) shop to get repairs to whatever the gently caress is causing that 1/3 bald tire and then getting an alignment. Anything less than that is wasting your money.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
It was an alignment issue - I took care of it right away. I’ve been traveling (not by car) since then and haven’t had a chance to address the tires.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Maybe a silly question, but just want to make sure before I book the swap. Going from 225/55 R16 to 225/60 R16 on the same rims should be fine, right? Just a bit more sidewall and slight difference in speedo indication.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

MrOnBicycle posted:

Maybe a silly question, but just want to make sure before I book the swap. Going from 225/55 R16 to 225/60 R16 on the same rims should be fine, right? Just a bit more sidewall and slight difference in speedo indication.

That’s prob within the margin, but a change of diameter can throw off traction controls/abs calculations

I’d just follow through with the diligence, Common size for platform? Any threads on dedicated forums/Reddit about people who have trouble?

If not, you prob good to go

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

no lube so what posted:

That’s prob within the margin, but a change of diameter can throw off traction controls/abs calculations

I’d just follow through with the diligence, Common size for platform? Any threads on dedicated forums/Reddit about people who have trouble?

If not, you prob good to go

Oops sorry, forgot to mention that it's an E39. I got the tyres with the car from the PO.

Some more googling says that 225/60 is on R15's for E39. Can't find anyone talking about the size mentioned above so far. There are junkyards selling the 225/60R16 configuration off crashed / scrapped cars though, so seems like it isn't unheard off (maybe it's why they crashed :haw:)

I like fat sidewalls.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 26, 2023

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That's probably within allowances on that particular vehicle. I know I talked to someone about that exact same swap a few weeks ago, because that 225/55R16 is a somewhat ridiculous size nowadays as far as finding something good/available.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's a pretty big increase. You might not have enough clearance against the strut for the extra height.

The sidewall is nice for comfort but going to a narrower tire might do wonders for your availability, or going to a 17" would probably be even better.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 27, 2023

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just looked at Tire Rack and there are plenty of good options in the stock size. General, Conti or Vredestein are all good tires.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=49706&width=225/&ratio=55&diameter=16

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PitViper posted:

That's probably within allowances on that particular vehicle. I know I talked to someone about that exact same swap a few weeks ago, because that 225/55R16 is a somewhat ridiculous size nowadays as far as finding something good/available.

Wrar posted:

That's a pretty big increase. You might not have enough clearance against the strut for the extra height.

The sidewall is nice for comfort but going to a narrower tire might do wonders for your availability, or going to a 17" would probably be even better.

Wrar posted:

I just looked at Tire Rack and there are plenty of good options in the stock size. General, Conti or Vredestein are all good tires.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=49706&width=225/&ratio=55&diameter=16

Thanks for the input!
I finally found some posts from an E39 forum ("The tires fit fine, no rubbing at all or even close" on a non-sport suspension) that had multiple people saying that 225/60/R16 works fine and doesn't rub, so should be fine. I might swap tyres later on, but the ones on the car now are dry rotten and cracked, and don't fill me with any confidence. These tyres aslo came with the car, so would be nice if they work for a while.
If they cause trouble I'll bite the bullet and find some other tyres. Thanks for the link!

Edit:
$120 later we have thickness:

Thankfully they don't seem to rub!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 28, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have an older car and I bought a Schrader TPMS kit for my winter tires and I'd like to buy a kit for my summer tires but everyone is sold out. Schrader says they're having supply chain issues.

https://www.amazon.com/SCHRADER-SCHRFK4S-TPMS-Retrofit-Kit/dp/B07X575DWQ

Does anyone have any recommendations for a kit (sensors and receiver) that uses an internal sensor (like OEM TPMS systems, not the valve cap type)? I'd like something with a black aluminum stem. If I have to buy the stems afterwards and replace them, that's fine.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I just tossed a set of Autel MX dual frequency sensors with black rubber valve stems in one of my vehicles. Shop was able to clone the IDs of the other set without issue.

Edit: There are 3 versions available, one with black alu stems.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 31, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McTinkerson posted:

I just tossed a set of Autel MX dual frequency sensors with black rubber valve stems in one of my vehicles. Shop was able to clone the IDs of the other set without issue.

Yeah, that's a good point. I might be able to get away with just a second set of sensors since I already have the receiver.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

McTinkerson posted:

Seconding the autel mx sensors. I have cloned two sets, one for my old tundra and one for my BMW. Since the IDs are the same, no relearn or programming required when swapping wheel sets. They are super cheap too, like $110 for all 4 on amazon.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yes, most shops should be able to clone an existing set of sensor IDs onto another set of whatever brand sensor if all you want is to have two identical wheel sets. We do it often for summer/winter sets for customers with the Schrader EZ sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Stupid question time: Spring has snuck up on me a little earlier than I would have expected and I'm realizing I need to get my winter tires off. I'm expecting a small windfall in early May that I was hoping to use towards getting new summers + wheels. Will I be putting a non-trivial amount of wear on my winters if I keep driving them for about another 3 weeks? Temperatures look to be staying in the 60s with 2 days in the 80s next week, after having just snowed on Tuesday. I don't do a ton of driving (no daily commute, just small errands around town mostly), if that helps.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 6, 2023