Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Tann posted:

Blortcut??

Blursed was intended as an easy mode, have you tried cursed hyper much?

Shortcut? No, this is my own original mode, Blortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How does one normally unlock / enable Heaven mode?

I feel like I've beaten a lot of things at this point but haven't encountered that one.

I'd prefer not to use the Unlock Everything button.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Hammer Bro. posted:

How does one normally unlock / enable Heaven mode?

I feel like I've beaten a lot of things at this point but haven't encountered that one.

I'd prefer not to use the Unlock Everything button.

I think you have to beat Brutal (on any mode)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You beat Brutal. Easiest to do in Custom Party mode with 4 or 5 blue heroes. I recommend at least 3 Cultists for their sheer mana generation, so you can brute-force the early game by just nuking everything before it gets a chance to act

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Woof. Got somethin' to do on the airplane tomorrow. Thanks.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oops. Beat it first try with a caster heavy team.

And Barrel Time :unsmigghh:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Can you get boosted item quality blessing in loot mode?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

dhamster posted:

Shortcut? No, this is my own original mode, Blortcut.

My mode is also named blortcut

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Weird, that's the name of my hair salon

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Hexia's a terrible encounter that seems to come up way too frequently as the final fight, and feeling punished for playing the game is indefensible trash, but otherwise super-fun game

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Hexia's a terrible encounter that seems to come up way too frequently as the final fight, and feeling punished for playing the game is indefensible trash, but otherwise super-fun game

You don't need to be alive at the end of the round to win, all the mobs just need to be dead.

Blood for the Blood God

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Indefensible trash is in fact a pretty rude statement!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
do u guys alwys take dude upgrades or do you skip them sometimes. sometimes i skip them. i like the mages with the big nuke and many of them dont have this. end up like a rly low level mage sometimes

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I do think it's occasionally the correct move to skip upgrades. Probably one of the most obvious is if you get a really good steel synergy with scrapper; if you never get the option to upgrade him to a tier 3 hero with steel, you'll generally perform better not upgrading him.

Though really there are a lot of heroes like that. Spellblade is also notable as a hero that scales really, really well with a lot of items that his upgrades might not.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I was thinking this might be useful for people watching youtube videos or streaming. I might use the bottom layout on my phone.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Tann posted:

I was thinking this might be useful for people watching youtube videos or streaming. I might use the bottom layout on my phone.

Yeah that seems nice! Have you ever considered a vertical layout?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got an unfair win when my wizard, the last surviving guy, rolled his mana cantrip three times and gave me enough spells to kill the dragon before the 18 damage landed on him

Also Hexia is a pretty bad boss but has nothing on Basalt. Here's a an attack that will massively one shot any hero and make them unusable next turn if they survive, also I've summonded two slates, hope you brought uuuh

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also I've been meaning to ask: is the Twin a joke class, or has anyone found a way to make those guys useful?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I enjoy the progression of games like this that start off seemingly impossible and end up too easy (after a most satisfying journey!).

In fact, I've enjoyed this one so much that I'm making derivative. But with words instead of dice. The more closely and deliberately I look at Slice and Dice, the more impressive it is.

Good job, Tann.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

some plague rats posted:

Also I've been meaning to ask: is the Twin a joke class, or has anyone found a way to make those guys useful?

It's a lot like Statue, it's a gimmick that mostly exists for item synergies. The seal stamp item that gives every face +1 for each matching face is particularly nice, there's an item that makes all defends cantrips (although I think that one's a level 10 item, so not available in all modes), etc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

some plague rats posted:

Twin's value is entirely determined from items, as THP said. With the right items it can do some crazy things - the Emerald that copies all level 5-7 items on other heroes is an obvious example, but things that add max HP also work very well on it and the Jester's Cap can push cantrip builds over the top sometimes.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
If you have the ten damage charged hammer and the cape that copies it to the whole role, having two characters with that setup is wildly good.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wittgen posted:

If you have the ten damage charged hammer and the cape that copies it to the whole role, having two characters with that setup is wildly good.

god drat yeah actually that would be insane.

Okay so I wasn't missing anything, it's just "get lucky with the item drops or avoid them like the plague"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's more if your strategic direction works well with twin, then pick twin, like so many strategic class upgrade choices!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

It's more if your strategic direction works well with twin, then pick twin, like so many strategic class upgrade choices!

I feel like one of the nice things about this game is that basically nearly every single class can be cobbled together into a working party- there aren't really that many trap options, as it were. Which is probably why I feel like I was missing something with the twins.

also just realizing that was my first post there so I should mention that I love this game and cannot stop playing it, at all, help

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

eonblue174 posted:

Yeah that seems nice! Have you ever considered a vertical layout?

I might never play anything else if Slice and Dice worked in portrait.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Once I got that cape that copies left most onto the whole center row and put it on a Venom (reminder: their leftmost is an attack that inflicts poison and scales with how much poison is on the field).

That ended up being how I got the "get 10 or more Poison on one enemy" achievement.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Hammer Bro. posted:

I enjoy the progression of games like this that start off seemingly impossible and end up too easy (after a most satisfying journey!).

In fact, I've enjoyed this one so much that I'm making derivative. But with words instead of dice. The more closely and deliberately I look at Slice and Dice, the more impressive it is.

Good job, Tann.

Edit: nevermind.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 6, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funny as we were talking about it, but I just had a good Twin lap. I had Osteoporosis so they would have been base 2HP and normally I'd avoid that like the plague, but I also had the Emerald Shard plus Droopy Hat, Longbow, Iron Boots and a couple of other good spot swaps like Wine. Then I got the Iron Helm, and now they were both 10 max HP. Dragon caused a few minor problems at the end - I had to feed one Twin to my Wraith as it couldn't be saved - but all in all a pretty easy run.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Twin is pretty great with Sushi or Square Wheel. This is doubly true if you have cantrip faces on your other heroes, but it's still worthwhile even if you don't, just because it lets you more reliably fish for the faces you need on any given turn.

They're also really funny with any of the Skull items. Just little suicide goblins that give you mana or buffs when they get swatted on the first turn of every fight.

e: come to think of it, do the Skulls trigger repeatedly if their wearer is resurrected and then dies again? You could potentially do some crazy poo poo with that.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 7, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Twin is pretty great with Sushi or Square Wheel. This is doubly true if you have cantrip faces on your other heroes, but it's still worthwhile even if you don't, just because it lets you more reliably fish for the faces you need on any given turn.

They're also really funny with any of the Skull items. Just little suicide goblins that give you mana or buffs when they get swatted on the first turn of every fight.

e: come to think of it, do the Skulls trigger repeatedly if their wearer is resurrected and then dies again? You could potentially do some crazy poo poo with that.

Should, but resurrect faces can't cantrip as I recall, so there's no infinite loop there, I believe...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I haven't played in a while, and on a lark I decided to try a 4 blue/1 orange unfair run and smashed it first try.

Then died in the first fight of brutal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Should, but resurrect faces can't cantrip as I recall, so there's no infinite loop there, I believe...

Maybe not, but you can give the Twins the Ritual Dagger and have them comedically suicide back and forth every turn

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Maybe not, but you can give the Twins the Ritual Dagger and have them comedically suicide back and forth every turn

Hell yeah.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
As I've been bashing my head while playing Brotato Danger 5 runs, I come back to Slice & Dice and play a Heaven run to fire up the ol' dopamine receptors to get a win.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Any word on a balance patch? I love this game but it's just on the wrong side of frustrating for me these days.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Spermanent Record posted:

Any word on a balance patch? I love this game but it's just on the wrong side of frustrating for me these days.

Play on a lower difficulty if you aren't enjoying it - the hardest ones are intentionally unfair (it's in the name!)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Kuros posted:

As I've been bashing my head while playing Brotato Danger 5 runs, I come back to Slice & Dice and play a Heaven run to fire up the ol' dopamine receptors to get a win.

What's a heaven run?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

What's a heaven run?

If you beat brutal on any mode (suggestion: custom with 4 blues and a something), you unlock heaven: 20 green points worth of blessings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

(suggestion: custom with 4 blues and a something),

I would like to know more about this?