Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

snagged a pixel 7 at a good rate from a kindly goon who saw this, PMed me and put one in SA mart, so that settles that

As a lurker that's been highly invested in ski-appgate, I hope everything ends up working out well. Get one of those super rugged multi-layer cases and get years of carefree ski joy out of it.

Not gonna lie; I envisioned a scenario where ski-app doesn't work on a new Android phone either, so in a fit of rage you toss the phone off a mountain precipice while yelling "gently caress you Google Android, you're dead to me!" Then you immediately go buy an iPhone and ski-app doesn't work on it either. Lol because it turns out ski-app is just broken on all phones. This scenario has no basis in reality but the thought of it just made me chuckle.

Pixel 7 is a super sweet phone though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mental Hospitality posted:

; I envisioned a scenario where ski-app doesn't work on a new Android phone either, so in a fit of rage you toss the phone off a mountain precipice while yelling "gently caress you Google Android, you're dead to me!" Then you immediately go buy an iPhone and ski-app doesn't work on it either

This seems like an entirely plausible situation, I can see myself reacting this way exactly.

The last phone I had was a pixel... 3? Anyway, yeah it's somewhere on this same mountain. No rage, I just lost it in a fall and it was never seen again.

e2: there will also be some comedy if the "pin this app" action works "well enough" for the ski app. The thing is, from reading about that, it sounds like it will just turn itself back off sometimes anyway, and while I could probably roll my eyes at this and track my vertical myself, the same behavior seems to be interfering with the location-sharing app my spouse and I use, and that's just a safety concern, we live in the sticks with two kids and I often rely on that as a backup safety mechanism for various things.

e3: I mean, it might be more useful for "where in the woods is Cabbages' body and now bloody chainsaw?" than "we found him and got there in time to reattach his head", but, it's a concern of some kind anyway.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 26, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
"interesting" outcome to the "pin this app" attempt.

the app stayed pinned and more or less correctly grabbed tracking data, but also drained 95% battery in 5 hours :lol: (this used to "just work" and I would have normal battery life while using app).

Then, when connected to a charger in the car the phone claimed to be at 100% after 8 mins of charging. 90% by the time we were home, and 50% back home 30 mins later :raise:
Super cool!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh, wow. First time actually using it...hold for me is incredible.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kirios posted:

Oh, wow. First time actually using it...hold for me is incredible.

I think the pixel call features are just the absolute coolest. I love screening random numbers and watching whatever nonsense the marketer or wrong number person starts babbling before realizing whatever they're trying to do is futile. Feels like having a secret weapon.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I basically don't get spam calls at all anymore, occasionally I get a 4 second soundless voicemail from a number that shares the same first 3 digits, but that's it.
What I really like is the guided call system that will annotate phone menus and make them into buttons for easy navigation.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The main downside to owning a Pixel is hearing about all the cool features that are disabled in my location/language.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

The main downside to owning a Pixel is hearing about all the cool features that are disabled in my location/language/by my carrier.

Added to your original post.

I can't use Visual Voicemail and some other stuff because I'm a pleb on a prepaid plan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Added to your original post.

I can't use Visual Voicemail and some other stuff because I'm a pleb on a prepaid plan.

I can't either. Which is sad because I used to have it when I was on Fi and it was funny as hell whenever Google tried to give me text of what my parents said.

They spoke Polish and it assumed they were speaking English and would just write garbage. Not translate, assume their words were English words and pick the ones that were close.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol google's voicemail transcriptions are still amazingly bad for how good voice to text has gotten everywhere else. Just recently I had "hi alnilam, I'll call you later, love you bye" get transcribed as "hi alnilam, I'll kill you okay, love you by"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Android Thread - I'll Call You Later (Actionable Threat)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I've been using an S21 (Exynos I believe since I'm in Malaysia, first time ever with Samsung) for almost a couple of years now and is it just me or is the battery extra bad long-term. Like I expect battery degradation, yes, but I feel like I'm charging it all the time, I feel like my previous phones didn't go this bad.

It's gotten to the point where I'm already sort of eyeing getting another phone even though I normally try to go 3-4 years without upgrading because I'm not really a power user. I could technically get a battery replacement, I guess, but I just had a friend with an S21 replace their battery mid last year, and now is thinking of replacing the battery again. Not sure if we're just unlucky or this is a widespread thing.

Also, as a first ever Samsung, I really disliked the whole Samsung Galaxy Store infrastructure and how convoluted it is to customise my phone, so this whole time I've been feeling like my S21 is "Good specs, but only an alright experience."

Based on this, I'm thinking I should probably switch soon, or soon-ish. But not sure what's actually good in the market right now, or coming up soon. Pixel 7 looks incredible but it doesn't officially come to Malaysia (I can still import it at a good price if I don't mind rolling with shop warranty and no official manufucaturer warranty). I mostly want a good/great camera, and a smooth, easily customisable experience since I'm the type that likes to change their layouts depending on mood.

I found the Nothing phone on display and tried it but as far as I can tell the camera seems okay for that price point and...I don't understand what the lights at the back are for (they're cool I guess?).

Artelier fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 29, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I've got a US s21 ultra so maybe it's different but my battery is OK

Not sure what you mean about the customization cause I don't really change icons or anything like that on my phone except the wallpaper and lock screen video sometimes and I just find those on the internet.

The good lock app offers some cool things you can change, like the way your recent apps look and stuff. But it's weird cause the app has a bunch of sub apps you gotta get to do different things.

https://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.goodlock

Can confirm the Samsung store is garbage though, I have to use it for my watch and it sucks

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Resdfru posted:

I've got a US s21 ultra so maybe it's different but my battery is OK

Not sure what you mean about the customization cause I don't really change icons or anything like that on my phone except the wallpaper and lock screen video sometimes and I just find those on the internet.

The good lock app offers some cool things you can change, like the way your recent apps look and stuff. But it's weird cause the app has a bunch of sub apps you gotta get to do different things.

https://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.goodlock

Can confirm the Samsung store is garbage though, I have to use it for my watch and it sucks

Thanks for the shout out of Good Lock; it wasn't available here for the longest time, but I just looked it up and they just released it for Malaysia! Just last month!! So I'm playing around with this for now to see if it helps with my customisation woes (basically I like to control the themes, animations, icons, etc).

That said, if the battery is still a pain, I might still pull the trigger on a new phone. But we'll see! I just used it to read a bit over lunch and it dropped about 14% which I feel is a bit high, it feels like...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

alnilam posted:

lol google's voicemail transcriptions are still amazingly bad for how good voice to text has gotten everywhere else. Just recently I had "hi alnilam, I'll call you later, love you bye" get transcribed as "hi alnilam, I'll kill you okay, love you by"

I saved this particularly bad transcription from late '21.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Android Thread - And suck suck suck. dead dead

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

maltesh posted:

I saved this particularly bad transcription from late '21.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Artelier posted:

So I'm playing around with this for now to see if it helps with my customisation woes (basically I like to control the themes, animations, icons, etc).

You should be able to customize the themes and icons without touching the Galaxy Store; I never use it. Install a custom launcher and whatever icon pack you choose off the Play Store and you're good.

Animations are trickier and may require something like, yes, Good Lock to open up all the options you'd like.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

This is legit how my family talks to each other so I don't see the problem.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

this sounds like the start of a codec convo in mgs

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was weary if I was going to get Coolwalk or not on my no name amazon head unit in my car but I was pleasantly surprised this morning. I guess I always knew it was controlled by the phone anyhow.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

I was weary if I was going to get Coolwalk or not on my no name amazon head unit in my car but I was pleasantly surprised this morning. I guess I always knew it was controlled by the phone anyhow.

Yeah I don't think it has anything to do with the head unit as long as it supports AA.

I also noticed it on my unit this morning too. Very cool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I also noticed it on my unit this morning too. Very cool.

Just looked up what this is. They copied the layout of the one in my BMW! Not criticizing, I really like seeing the map and having media controls on the screen at the same time. And having a really wide map is useless 90% of the time as I only care about what is ahead of me, not on the sides.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is more android adjacent, but I lost the extra "caps" that came with my new Pixel Buds and the ones on it don't fit great :( Can I just buy like any old assortment off Amazon for cheap or do you really need specific ones that fit your specific hardware? Because a big 🙄 at $25 for a replacement pair from Google

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Had a Pixel 5a black screen, and it won't turn on. Looks like there was an extended warranty for this issue, hopefully the repair place can fix it tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with this issue?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't know if this is just me (or if this is the right thread), but *every* time I request a song on Android Auto (which is linked to my Spotify account) it *never* picks the default track.

Meaning if there is a remix or alt version or country bumpkin dumbass version what the gently caress ever... it will pick THAT version to play instead of the vanilla track.

Two things I've confirmed:

1.) It's hearing me correctly b/c the voice search is actively transcribing when you're talking so you can see it
2.) The default version of the track is available and not like region restricted b/c I can manually go to it and play it.

What the hell is up with this?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I noticed this happening with the Google Assistant on my home devices last weekend, for the first time. It was novel heh. But yes, it would get annoying fast.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've also had that happen and my guess is Spotify gives you the version that makes them the most money/costs them the least to play.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Had a Pixel 5a black screen, and it won't turn on. Looks like there was an extended warranty for this issue, hopefully the repair place can fix it tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with this issue?

Yeah, I went through that two months ago, with a more than 1 year old 5a. The process took a few days because they didn't have a screen in stock, had to order the screen shipped, then broke the motherboard during the repair so when I got the phone back it had been fully factory reset and the storage was wiped, because replacing the motherboard includes the SSD.

Didn't cost me a cent though!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teethgrinder posted:

I noticed this happening with the Google Assistant on my home devices last weekend, for the first time. It was novel heh. But yes, it would get annoying fast.

Yeah I wonder if it's the Google Assistant (since that's obviously what I use through AA... but it's the only time I use it - we're all Alexa in our house otherwise).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I don't know if this is just me (or if this is the right thread), but *every* time I request a song on Android Auto (which is linked to my Spotify account) it *never* picks the default track.

Meaning if there is a remix or alt version or country bumpkin dumbass version what the gently caress ever... it will pick THAT version to play instead of the vanilla track.

What made me hate Auto was it telling me that it couldn't play a song because I wasn't paying for premium Google Play Music even though I had it downloaded in my personal collection.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, I went through that two months ago, with a more than 1 year old 5a. The process took a few days because they didn't have a screen in stock, had to order the screen shipped, then broke the motherboard during the repair so when I got the phone back it had been fully factory reset and the storage was wiped, because replacing the motherboard includes the SSD.

Didn't cost me a cent though!

Just dropped it off and they said "two hours" so hopefully I get back a working phone today.

And if not best buy is next door.

Don't currently have any spare phones since I gave my old backup phone to a friend who'se phone broke.

E: same day fix, it was the Mobo but the repair was free. At least they didn't request payment from me.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 31, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Uthor posted:

What made me hate Auto was it telling me that it couldn't play a song because I wasn't paying for premium Google Play Music even though I had it downloaded in my personal collection.

I've only just started using Android Auto (like brief in-town trips of just a few minutes) but it lets me use VLC as my media player, and Google Assistant opened it via voice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've only just started using Android Auto (like brief in-town trips of just a few minutes) but it lets me use VLC as my media player, and Google Assistant opened it via voice.

I use MediaMonkey now and it's much better to control via the screen, but I haven't tried voice much. My current car doesn't have Auto and it no longer works is a standalone app, so I only play with it occasionally when driving my mom's car long distances.

Edit: after Google messing up, then canceling Google Play Music, I wasn't about to give them another chance with YouTube Music... Plus, I have a different YouTube account than my main Google one, so I constantly have to swap back and forth between playing videos and listening to my music collection.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 31, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Did any of you Pixel Warriors get a Pixel Watch? I'm interested

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did any of you Pixel Warriors get a Pixel Watch? I'm interested
yeah. many of us have talked about it in the wearos thread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's up with the recent google translate update? If you try to translate from a photo, It now says "lens activity will be linked to [your account]". Is this some new spying poo poo or are they just making it explicit?

Also my mom asked about storage on her phone, apparently it's like at 60/64gb or something. Last time I checked, it was almost entirely Whatsapp/Telegram cache. Will Android or those apps start wiping the old poo poo automatically when the phone is out of space, or does it have to be done manually?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:sigh: my phone screen just started having a big green line through it.

guess I'm rejoining the pixel crew sooner than I thought, gonna shop around for a cheap 7 pro

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Just pre-ordered 2 S23 Ultras from Fi. They have a really good deal for existing customers, 600 dollars off teh 512GB version so its 25 a month. Plus, trading in the old S21 Ultra so the new phone will be 100 bucks.

I just hope I don't regret trading it in. Last time I sent them a phone they said they didn't get it and I had to fight them and say how the Fedex tracking said they accepted it. Then they went and found it magically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Resdfru posted:

Just pre-ordered 2 S23 Ultras from Fi. They have a really good deal for existing customers, 600 dollars off teh 512GB version so its 25 a month. Plus, trading in the old S21 Ultra so the new phone will be 100 bucks.

I just hope I don't regret trading it in. Last time I sent them a phone they said they didn't get it and I had to fight them and say how the Fedex tracking said they accepted it. Then they went and found it magically.

Just pre-ordered my s23 ultra as well, going from my note 9 to this thing.. So sad I have to get rid of my note 9