Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which of the magic damage types (fire, cold, etc) is generally the most useful

Sonic>>Electricity>Cold>Acid>Fire

Another win for Electric Arc, and also despite Fire being the lowest due to the massive number of creatures immune/resistant to it there are also a ton weak to it so it's still useful to have, just not as a primary element

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

KPC_Mammon posted:

What about a trash goblin?

Her words, not mine.

She's just tickled by the idea of being able to rummage through her pockets, pull out a crushed soda can and declaring "Behold! Your weakness!", and then it works.

We know it's thematically more complex than that, but that's the image she has in her head.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I think Mammon was suggesting that the trash goblin be an actual goblin.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

the_steve posted:

Her words, not mine.

She's just tickled by the idea of being able to rummage through her pockets, pull out a crushed soda can and declaring "Behold! Your weakness!", and then it works.

We know it's thematically more complex than that, but that's the image she has in her head.

...Also it's not really THAT much more complex than that lol.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

Her words, not mine.

No, that's exactly what it is.

It's far from optimal, but I am playing a thaumaturge who is a trash goblin with a Spoon Gun https://2e.aonprd.com/Weapons.aspx?ID=225 specifically so that I can fire my esoterica out of said trash cannon.

It owns.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So when you say "Trash Goblin" do you mean a literal goblin whomst power involves trash (And Ork logic powers, from what I'm reading)?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ConanThe3rd posted:

So when you say "Trash Goblin" do you mean a literal goblin whomst power involves trash (And Ork logic powers, from what I'm reading)?

Trash goblin is a real thing

Junk Tinker posted:

You can make useful tools out of even twisted or rusted scraps. When using the Crafting skill to Craft, you can make level 0 items, including weapons but not armor, out of junk. This reduces the Price to one-quarter the usual amount but always results in a shoddy item. Shoddy items normally give a penalty, but you don't take this penalty when using shoddy items you made.

You can also incorporate junk to save money while you Craft any item. This grants you a discount on the item as if you had spent 1 additional day working to reduce the cost, but the item is obviously made of junk. At the GM's discretion, this might affect the item's resale value depending on the buyer's tastes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ConanThe3rd posted:

quote:

Esoterica: The esoterica trait is present in many thaumaturge feats and class features that incorporate the various talismans, supernatural trinkets, and other objects you carry with you. Abilities that have the esoterica trait require you to be in possession of your esoterica to use them. Normally, you're assumed to always have your esoterica with you, but in some rare circumstances, you might either not have them on hand or have your gear stripped from you

While your implements are your primary tools in your dealings with the supernatural, you know the value of always being prepared. You constantly collect and carry various smaller mystic objects, bits of materials with paranormal affinities, and items used in folk practices: your esoterica. These might include cold iron nails, scraps of scrolls and scriptures, fragments of bones purportedly from a saint, and other similar objects. You keep your esoterica in easy-to-access places on your person and are well practiced in brandishing your implement and esoterica together, so you can draw and use esoterica with the same hand you're using to wield an implement.

The thaumaturge literally derives their power from carrying around a bunch of shiny junk and brandishing it at opportune moments.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I recently discovered two things: The Thaumaturge and a local pagan market. My wife and I went there and I bought a bunch of "spells" in the form of little jars of flower petals, salt, and paper and other odds and ends like crystals and adorable handknit hats that looked charming, in part because I thought they would be good thaumaturge props (and also it was fun to support my local pagans).

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Do we have a Starfinder thread? I looked but didn’t find one. A friend might be DMing it and I thought I’d read up and get general advice. I’m mulling some character builds and currently ‘Dumb as bricks bro goes viral for making GBS threads his pants in public, and is now attempting to capitalize on it by live-posting his hijinks and space adventures’ or as the DM said ‘a character literally posting through it.’ Is winning.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Do we have a Starfinder thread? I looked but didn’t find one. A friend might be DMing it and I thought I’d read up and get general advice. I’m mulling some character builds and currently ‘Dumb as bricks bro goes viral for making GBS threads his pants in public, and is now attempting to capitalize on it by live-posting his hijinks and space adventures’ or as the DM said ‘a character literally posting through it.’ Is winning.

What little discussion there ever was about it was in the old Pathfinder thread.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Arivia posted:

What little discussion there ever was about it was in the old Pathfinder thread.

It’s weird, basically everything I hear is either ‘great system super balanced’ or ‘god I loving hate that system.’

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm holding out for Starfinder 2e that uses PF2e systems.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Finster Dexter posted:

Same. Exact same mechanics, just new sci-fi ancestries, backgrounds, classes, feats, etc. I'd be excited for that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Finster Dexter posted:

please god

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Saxophone posted:

My partner's character in the Starfinder campaign we played in pre-pandemic was a boy band member who was going to livestream his adventures while the group was on hiatus. It was supposed to be a happy funtime romp but then we all almost died and the universe almost ended and now he's an emotional mess. Our GM is a monster :allears:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Starfinder has great lore, setting, APs, everything.... and it's a good system* that iterates nicely on PF1. It feels like Pathfinder 1.5e, but after years of PF2 it's hard to step backwards into that.

I'd buy the poo poo out of Starfinder 2e that uses the same rules and mechanics as Pathfinder 2e. Or even some decent conversions

*except space combat which sucks

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Starfinder could be a good lower-stakes testbed for developing a game from the ORC rather than the OGL.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Syrinxx posted:

Starfinder has great lore, setting, APs, everything.... and it's a good system* that iterates nicely on PF1. It feels like Pathfinder 1.5e, but after years of PF2 it's hard to step backwards into that.

I'd buy the poo poo out of Starfinder 2e that uses the same rules and mechanics as Pathfinder 2e. Or even some decent conversions

*except space combat which sucks

I have yet to play a space game where space combat is fun. I hope it gets solved at some point. It's just hard because if everyone doesn't have their own dogfighters you have to find a way to make a party equally enjoy being part of a crew.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

I have yet to play a space game where space combat is fun. I hope it gets solved at some point. It's just hard because if everyone doesn't have their own dogfighters you have to find a way to make a party equally enjoy being part of a crew.

I think in the Elite Dangerous RPG everyone does get their own space dogfighters. I wonder how well it works.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Goons tend to recommend Stars Without Numbers over Starfinder but I could never tell the difference, they're both d20 systems to me.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

M. Night Skymall posted:

Larger weapons don't do any additional damage naturally. Giant instinct barbarians get bonus damage for wielding a larger weapon than normal when they are raging, and become clumsy 1. When you aren't raging you're still clumsy 1 and do no additional damage. You can increase your size with giant stature, and then titan stature. This just adds reach and changes your token size, and can only be used when raging. It also makes you clumsy 1, but you're already clumsy 1 from the oversized weapon and they don't stack.

Admittedly the real reason to go giant instinct is to take the size feats and Giant's Lunge to have reach 20 at level 14. Get the attack of opportunity feat in there somewhere and watch half the room be vulnerable to a swing from you if they twitch the wrong way. You do wind up being -2 AC overall (1 for raging, one for clumsy) so more vulnerable to getting hit back than most instincts, though playing with your ridiculous reach might lessen that risk.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Tachyon Squadron, although that is an "everyone gets their own fighter" game.

As for Starfinder 2E, I wonder if Paizo was just afraid of splitting the existing Starfinder customer base, which is naturally smaller than the Pathfinder one. Maybe they'll revisit the idea now that PF2E has proven it can stand on its own.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Selachian posted:

Tachyon Squadron, although that is an "everyone gets their own fighter" game.

As for Starfinder 2E, I wonder if Paizo was just afraid of splitting the existing Starfinder customer base, which is naturally smaller than the Pathfinder one. Maybe they'll revisit the idea now that PF2E has proven it can stand on its own.

Paizo's Facebook person made a pretty snippy reply to a post the other day where someone was wishing for SF in the PF2e ruleset - saying something along the lines of "We have said it before, we're not making a new Starfinder; would you care to let us know what it is you want to see from the current system?" so I'm assuming they are not interested in making a new version. But I can hope :3:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Paizo's Facebook person made a pretty snippy reply to a post the other day where someone was wishing for SF in the PF2e ruleset - saying something along the lines of "We have said it before, we're not making a new Starfinder; would you care to let us know what it is you want to see from the current system?" so I'm assuming they are not interested in making a new version. But I can hope :3:

Heh, what I'd like to see from current Starfinder is not having to learn another new rule set when I'm still trying to figure out PF2E. I ran an AP last year and thank gently caress no one in my group wanted a sneaky character because I still don't have stealth figured out.

I was really interested in getting into Starfinder because I figured it'd use the same rules but nope. I have trouble keeping things straight between PF2E and dnd5e as it is, adding in a third ruleset that's slightly different to the other two killed any enthusiasm for it for me.

I don't know how people who play like six different tabletop rpg games keep any of it straight.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Stealth and climbing in PF2E I find to be inordinately complicated but also it makes sense that they would be difficult, because those are difficult things to actually do.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Some dude on Reddit threw together a little Pathfinder 2e random Ancestry/Background/Class/Dedication combination generator and it’s creating some fun ideas for me.

https://perchance.org/i9e96a4id2

For example one of the first results I got was a Gnoll Inventor, w/ Saboteur background and Druid dedication. Which, that dude is 10000% some kind of eco-terrorist and he probably owns.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

quote:

Ancestry/Heritage: Elf (Cavern Elf)
Background: Necromancer's Apprentice
Class: Barbarian
(Optional) 2nd Level Archetype Ghoul*

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm fuckin' terrified of this one:

quote:

Ancestry/Heritage: Goblin (Irongut Goblin)
Background: Cook
Class: Oracle
(Optional) 2nd Level Archetype: Ghoul

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

now this one's just nice:

quote:

Ancestry/Heritage: Catfolk (Sharp-Eared Catfolk)
Background: Tall-Tale
Class: Monk
(Optional) 2nd Level Archetype Multiclass Cleric

Just a lyin' cat-monk

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

It's wild how well something of these just instantly make sense and tell a story by themselves.

quote:

Ancestry/Heritage: Catfolk (Winter Catfolk)
Background: Magical Merchant
Class: Wizard
(Optional) 2nd Level Archetype Vigilante

This is just M'aiq the Liar but a narc.

Lamuella posted:

now this one's just nice:

Just a lyin' cat-monk

This is also M'aiq, but with violence.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Stealth and climbing in PF2E I find to be inordinately complicated but also it makes sense that they would be difficult, because those are difficult things to actually do.

Stealth is actually very straightforward, it's just written in an awful way that spreads it across multiple parts of the book. Take a look at my mechanically equivalent but better-edited version of the stealth rules.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Ancestry/Heritage: Catfolk (Nine Lives Catfolk)
Background: Printer
Class: Swashbuckler
(Optional) 2nd Level Archetype Zombie*

Puss in Boots, with a sideline in turning out revolutionary pamphlets. Oh, and he might be undead.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Roadie posted:

Stealth is actually very straightforward, it's just written in an awful way that spreads it across multiple parts of the book. Take a look at my mechanically equivalent but better-edited version of the stealth rules.

This owns, thanks.

Climbing is straightforward too, really. You just have to constantly pass checks.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Selachian posted:

Puss in Boots, with a sideline in turning out revolutionary pamphlets. Oh, and he might be undead.

Right but has he already used all 9 lives? How does zombeism work for a creature that has multiple lives or reincarnates?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

Ancestry/Heritage: Elf (Cavern Elf)
Background: Necromancer's Apprentice
Class: Barbarian
(Optional) 2nd Level Archetype Ghoul*

I like this a lot.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Roadie posted:

Thanks you for this, I'm going to share it with my players immediately.

Are there any other similar resources available? I prefer reading to YouTube videos.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

As someone who absolutely loves Starfinder, everyone being relentlessly negative about its slightly different rules and thus not playing it at all makes me sad.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Anyone have a preferred method of cloud hosting Foundry at low cost? Turns out I can't host locally because of how my apartment's networking is set up. I was considering seeing how putting into the oracle free tier would work, but I've also heard that can be somewhat finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kirtar posted:

Anyone have a preferred method of cloud hosting Foundry at low cost? Turns out I can't host locally because of how my apartment's networking is set up. I was considering seeing how putting into the oracle free tier would work, but I've also heard that can be somewhat finicky.

There is a thing called the forge that hosts and I remember it being cheap.