Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The model 3 is a basket case of QA issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Model 3 Performance I picked up last week is tons better than the 2019 one I replaced. Looks the same on the outside but it's complete different inside. It's painted correctly, and the trunk actually closes!

I probably just jinxed myself.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Aside from the panel gap and paint issues non-Online consumers don't really care about, I don't think it's known for being particularly more problematic than similarly positioned cars. I talked to the Electrified Garage about this and they said the 3 and Y are fairly troublefree, whereas the S and X are, well, not

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

One of the troublefree Teslas was in the news four days ago because it the factory decided the steering wheel retaining nut was optional. Association with Elon Musk aside, that's left a bad taste in our mouths.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Association with Elon Musk

This is why we wouldn't buy another Tesla. They really need to get that guy out of there, even Wall Street dudebros think he's hurting sales.

In 2022, the EV6 was getting all kinds of "holy poo poo this is actually a great car" reviews. Have you considered it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

cruft posted:

This is why we wouldn't buy another Tesla. They really need to get that guy out of there, even Wall Street dudebros think he's hurting sales.

In 2022, the EV6 was getting all kinds of "holy poo poo this is actually a great car" reviews. Have you considered it?

It's at the high end of our price range, but I'll keep an eye out for CPO or otherwise used EV6s.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EV6 is a great car even though I get to now live that flush door handle freezing in the cold life.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EV6 is a great car even though I get to now live that flush door handle freezing in the cold life.

poo poo’s probably only going to get weirder as efficiency gains take precedent. I don’t know how I feel about losing side mirrors in favor of cameras yet as I haven’t tried it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Does preheating the car help with the frozen handles on the EV6?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It's at the high end of our price range, but I'll keep an eye out for CPO or otherwise used EV6s.

If it were me and that were my list, I'd get the Bolt EV. Cruft Jr already has one and we've gotten used to its idiosyncrasies now.

But it's probably important to disclaim that our only kid is about to leave for college and we're now having serious discussions about retirement. Road trips involve frequent and substantial breaks for us, and the only thing we need in the back seat is our housecat-sized dog. The ability to keep itself centered in the lane is crucial, and the 50kW max charging rate really doesn't matter to us.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

cruft posted:

If it were me and that were my list, I'd get the Bolt EV. Cruft Jr already has one and we've gotten used to its idiosyncrasies now.

But it's probably important to disclaim that our only kid is about to leave for college and we're now having serious discussions about retirement. Road trips involve frequent and substantial breaks for us, and the only thing we need in the back seat is our housecat-sized dog. The ability to keep itself centered in the lane is crucial, and the 50kW max charging rate really doesn't matter to us.

I think the Bolt EV is going to be too small. We have a one year old and his live-in grandmother, so rear seat room and stroller-hauling ability is important. My Outback will still probably be the road trip machine for the next few years. I'm trying to create a short list of a few options we can test drive, and then we'll decide from there.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Safety Dance posted:

My wife is in the market for a new car. She likes things approximately the size and shape of a Subaru Crosstrek, and I'm trying to steer her toward an EV or a PHEV (even though that's the moral equivalent of rolling coal in front of the local elementary school, according to some people in this thread), probably south of $40k after tax incentives. Am I missing any obvious options? Anything on this list I should definitely avoid?

FYI a Countryman SE will not be under $40k unless your local and state rebates are around $7,500.

It's also not a very good PHEV for doing PHEV things. It drives nicely but its not very efficient and you only get 15-18 miles of EV only range.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Does preheating the car help with the frozen handles on the EV6?

Nope. We’re in the process of redoing the garage so im parking outside (I can still charge at least) and after the last snow my door handles took some effort to open. Also had to manually close the charge port door since enough ice had built it wouldn’t automatically close.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Safety Dance posted:

One of the troublefree Teslas was in the news four days ago because it the factory decided the steering wheel retaining nut was optional. Association with Elon Musk aside, that's left a bad taste in our mouths.
And this is a thing that has never happened to any other brand vehicle in recorded history.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

And this is a thing that has never happened to any other brand vehicle in recorded history.

Weird how those brands performed a recall and Tesla hasn't. :thunk:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I think it's weird that Tesla's cars aren't called cars, they're Teslas.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Weird how those brands performed a recall and Tesla hasn't. :thunk:
i guess it's the difference between "this car has persistent but rarely dangerous quality issues" and "in addition to its quality issues this car is so poorly designed it is dangerous"

if the recalls that other carmakers routinely issue happened with teslas, the media and this thread would scream. nearly 5 million toyotas were recalled because the airbags can shoot metal flak into your face and kill you, but no one in this forum is going "dont buy a toyota because they're unsafe"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 2, 2023

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nope. We’re in the process of redoing the garage so im parking outside (I can still charge at least) and after the last snow my door handles took some effort to open. Also had to manually close the charge port door since enough ice had built it wouldn’t automatically close.

I have a deposit waiting for an allocation on a bolt euv, but word on the street is that Chevy has placed customers orders on hold till the end of March while they fulfill fleet orders only. That means if I continue to wait for one it could another 6 months or more. That’s made me start looking at teslas and Ioniq 5s and EV6s again.

Other than the frozen door handles and charge port door have you had any other issues?

Safety Dance posted:

I think the Bolt EV is going to be too small. We have a one year old and his live-in grandmother, so rear seat room and stroller-hauling ability is important. My Outback will still probably be the road trip machine for the next few years. I'm trying to create a short list of a few options we can test drive, and then we'll decide from there.

For what it’s worth, the Bolt EUV has great rear seating room. It’s somehow bigger on the inside than the outside. However the cargo area is quite small and I have no idea how it would handle a stroller. However getting one right now might be a challenge anyways.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speaking of Chevy, they apparently are switching to cylindrical cells. So much for pouch cells being better I guess.
https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/28/gm-switching-to-cylindrical-battery-cells/

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question or a suboptimal place to ask, but I think y’all have some wisdom on this: When working with an electrician to install a home L2 charger (and adding the circuit to the main breaker, etc), is it common for them to pull the permit with the city, or will I have to do that in advance?

My city has both a $3,000 rebate for home EV equipment and install fees and if you get a smart enough charger you get a really great deal on off peak power. But you have to have all the permits and inspections to get it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

Good point, in addition to avoiding the 2023 Model 3 OP should also avoid the 2014 Ford Fusion

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i guess it's the difference between "this car has persistent but rarely dangerous quality issues" and "in addition to its quality issues this car is so poorly designed it is dangerous"

if the recalls that other carmakers routinely issue happened with teslas, the media and this thread would scream. nearly 5 million toyotas were recalled because the airbags can shoot metal flak into your face and kill you, but no one in this forum is going "dont buy a toyota because they're unsafe"

I think that Toyota isn't talked about in the EV thread because Toyota doesn't make EVs yet

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question or a suboptimal place to ask, but I think y’all have some wisdom on this: When working with an electrician to install a home L2 charger (and adding the circuit to the main breaker, etc), is it common for them to pull the permit with the city, or will I have to do that in advance?

My city has both a $3,000 rebate for home EV equipment and install fees and if you get a smart enough charger you get a really great deal on off peak power. But you have to have all the permits and inspections to get it.

I don't know if this varies by location, but one of the main reasons I would hire an electrician is so I don't have to navigate local permitting.

e: to clarify, frequently the permitting process involves detailed design documents and stuff like flame spread ratings on building materials. This is all stuff you could get, but the electrician already knows, because that's her friggin' job.

QuarkJets posted:

I think that Toyota isn't talked about in the EV thread because Toyota doesn't make EVs yet

And yet here we are, talking about Toyota in the EV thread.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 2, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

this is one of the most impressive strawmen I have ever seen on this forum

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I have a deposit waiting for an allocation on a bolt euv, but word on the street is that Chevy has placed customers orders on hold till the end of March while they fulfill fleet orders only. That means if I continue to wait for one it could another 6 months or more. That’s made me start looking at teslas and Ioniq 5s and EV6s again.

Other than the frozen door handles and charge port door have you had any other issues?

Not really. I've had it for close to a year now, almost entirely trickle charging off a 110/15 amp outlet, and it's the best car I've owned. Only complaints, if any, are:
- Lack of wireless carplay (I bought an adapter)
- Doesn't come with a charger
- No rear window wipers
- The app is.... ok. Slow as gently caress but generally works. Ideally you set your schedules for charging/start and don't really ever use it.

That's about it. I genuinely love the car. It's a great car with lots of bell and whistles and fun as poo poo to drive.

Oh another complaint my model ('22) didn't come with battery preconditioning. apparently we have the hardware but it's a firmware update we've yet to receive. Newer models have it.

edit: one last complaint, I don't think it qualifies for the full EV credit, if at all, now.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 2, 2023

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Thanks for that. Yeah I don’t think it qualifies for any fed credits, and my state doesn’t give any credits out for any ev. So even the awd wind is kind of expensive, even compared to the model 3 performance right now. But it’s such a cool looking car. I see one of the yellow first editions riding around my neighborhood all the time and I get a little jealous.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

It's also a better car than every EV on that list with the likely exception of the Ioniq 5, but again, there is now some social stigma I guess, so it depends how much you care about that.

e: OK, I would just do the Ioniq 5 then tbh

It's always been a piece of poo poo.

Hope this helps.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Speleothing posted:

It's always been a piece of poo poo.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your informative post! It's weird how you keep getting probed in this thread.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Thanks for your informative post! It's weird how you keep getting probed in this thread.

Thanks for your constant white noise Tesla defending! The comparison to Toyota and the Takata air bag recall, which affected multiple major car makers, was the result of fraud, and resulted in a billion dollar settlement and criminal charges for company executives sure was apt and informative!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

this is one of the most impressive strawmen I have ever seen on this forum

You said that the EV thread doesn't have enough bad things to say about Toyota despite their recalls, that's not a strawman it's just what you posted

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Rivian just did a 6% layoff with 20% of the charging organization gone. My old PM just texted me because she was just axed. (we are on good terms.) :stare:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Rivian just did a 6% layoff with 20% of the charging organization gone. My old PM just texted me because she was just axed. (we are on good terms.) :stare:
It never made much financial sense to me that Rivian has its own a charging network. They don’t have the first mover advantage or the capital of Tesla to hit critical mass. It always seemed like a marketing thing, with them located in highly inaccessible areas. But turns out Rivian owners just want to drive their wide-eyed truck around the suburbs, not actually go into nature, like most other truck owners.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Thanks for your constant white noise Tesla defending! The comparison to Toyota and the Takata air bag recall, which affected multiple major car makers, was the result of fraud, and resulted in a billion dollar settlement and criminal charges for company executives sure was apt and informative!
I mean, there have also been a litany of brand-specific airbag recalls that have nothing to do with Takata, and the distinction you're making has utterly nothing to do with my post, but you're welcome to keep loving this weird, deformed chicken. I can tell from your frothing rage at my mild suggestion that Teslas are less than total poo poo that you are having a normal day, and I don't want to interrupt it.

QuarkJets posted:

You said that the EV thread doesn't have enough bad things to say about Toyota despite their recalls, that's not a strawman it's just what you posted
My post on this very page is all of three sentences, and everyone here can read it, so you should probably not post at all if you don't want everyone to know that you're lazy and dishonest.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I mean, there have also been a litany of brand-specific airbag recalls that have nothing to do with Takata, and the distinction you're making has utterly nothing to do with my post, but you're welcome to keep loving this weird, deformed chicken. I can tell from your frothing rage at my mild suggestion that Teslas are less than total poo poo that you are having a normal day, and I don't want to interrupt it.

Lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Turns out people pay attention when the "move fast break stuff" car gets a problem.

Is it fair? Eh. The Pinto probably deserved it too.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Safety Dance posted:

My wife is in the market for a new car. She likes things approximately the size and shape of a Subaru Crosstrek, and I'm trying to steer her toward an EV or a PHEV (even though that's the moral equivalent of rolling coal in front of the local elementary school, according to some people in this thread), probably south of $40k after tax incentives. Am I missing any obvious options? Anything on this list I should definitely avoid?

Nissan has a crossover bev now that just got to the US market last month the Ariya
https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/ariya

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
A Canadian company is revolutionising EV vapour ware market by making a van that would be absolutely poo poo even if they nailed their design goals and claims. And if you think the mx30 is bad value how about a 100 mile range in something that's $136k and smaller than a Fiesta ST instead?

I would really like to know who they think is going to buy this thing. Luxury camper price but too small to really camp in, off road suspension but not enough range to get out anywhere without towing it there first.

https://hiconsumption.com/potential-motors-adventure-1-ev-off-road-camper/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My post on this very page is all of three sentences, and everyone here can read it, so you should probably not post at all if you don't want everyone to know that you're lazy and dishonest.

Frothing rage over Teslas? My reply didn't even mention Tesla. My post was about Toyota; did you misread it?

I'm referring to this sentence:

nearly 5 million toyotas were recalled because the airbags can shoot metal flak into your face and kill you, but no one in this forum is going "dont buy a toyota because they're unsafe"

Did you forget that you wrote this? It's fine if you did but you don't have to melt down over it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Frothing rage over Teslas? My reply didn't even mention Tesla. My post was about Toyota; did you misread it?
I quoted another poster; did you misread it?

QuarkJets posted:

Did you forget that you wrote this? It's fine if you did but you don't have to melt down over it
Weird how someone can be here for fifteen years and not understand the difference between "thread" and "forum". Wait, you do, you're just a tremendous rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh I didn't realize that this thread wasn't part of the forums, now everything makes sense (???)

So you wanted to write about tesla but miswrote it as "toyota"? Okay