Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Makes it hard to get friends to watch the show From when I have to tell them it's on a random rear end service called mgm+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here
Episode 3 of The Last of Us was extremely well done. I fully welcome them deviating from the game plot to craft these touching and impactful side stories. gently caress the game plot, just keep doing more of this. Nick Offerman was incredible.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’d honestly rather they increase prices than move stuff to bullshit “FAST” channels (“free ad-supported television”) like what they’re splintering HBO Max into. Those are dead to me, absolutely will not watch under any circumstances

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

They better not cut me off before I get my Birdgertons :argh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

david_a posted:

I’d honestly rather they increase prices than move stuff to bullshit “FAST” channels (“free ad-supported television”) like what they’re splintering HBO Max into. Those are dead to me, absolutely will not watch under any circumstances

Leave tubi alone :mad:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like Tubi but at the same time it is clear that we’re gonna get less stuff on the premium channels and fewer options to see things without ads.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

david_a posted:

Yeah, it's the same with Prime. "Watch for free/cheap with ads" just means "never watch" for me. I've suffered through ads for too long to ever be going back to them voluntarily. That's just daring people to go back to :filez:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just bought some used Blu-rays of stuff that moved to FAST services so I never have to deal with that bullshit.

I pay for 4 streaming services and rent a good number of movies through YouTube. I will never watch an ad and if you require me to in order to access your content, I will pirate your thing instead or immediately forget it exists. Sad to see so many newer releases not having a physical release either.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 2, 2023

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm on a free trial of Peacock and it's the ad supported tier and it's pretty miserable for watching stuff. SNL has a lot of ad breaks to set up the next bit/musical act/etc and Peacock puts a minute long break in each time. (Not to mention SNL putting ads right into the drat show like bringing up Spirit airlines and Arby's every episode now, but that's another gripe) If the free trial is supposed to entice me to sub to the service it is doing a terrible job. The ad supported version I'm using feels like it should be free. I had a similar poo poo experience with Paramount a while back which had The Burbs on there but it had ads inserted throughout even on a paid subscription tier. It's pretty bad.

edit: On the flip side, Tubi had You're Next with ads but they were cool about it and just played a couple of ads before the movie and a couple after the credits. I'm fine with that!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jolo posted:

I'm on a free trial of Peacock and it's the ad supported tier and it's pretty miserable for watching stuff. SNL has a lot of ad breaks to set up the next bit/musical act/etc and Peacock puts a minute long break in each time. (Not to mention SNL putting ads right into the drat show like bringing up Spirit airlines and Arby's every episode now, but that's another gripe) If the free trial is supposed to entice me to sub to the service it is doing a terrible job. The ad supported version I'm using feels like it should be free. I had a similar poo poo experience with Paramount a while back which had The Burbs on there but it had ads inserted throughout even on a paid subscription tier. It's pretty bad.

edit: On the flip side, Tubi had You're Next with ads but they were cool about it and just played a couple of ads before the movie and a couple after the credits. I'm fine with that!

Hulu and Peacock are completely unwatchable with the ads. I have access to passwords for both and i'm still using :filez:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The Peacock app is also sluggish and glitchy. And if I put a show on pause to go to the bathroom, if I'm gone too long, it freaks out and forgets where I left off, and will consider the episode unwatched. But then if I intentionally stop them when the credits start rolling, when I go to play the new episode the next week, it'll start with the final 30 seconds of the credits that I did not watch. It's an infuriating app. Other times, I'll finish a show, and if I don't return to the menu quickly enough, it'll start auto playing similar shows that I don't actually want to watch, and forever whenever I log back in, it wants me to continue watching that show.

Thankfully I'm using a friend's account who pays for the ad free experience.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The nice thing about peacock is ad blockers work on their ads.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but then you have to watch on a small screen. They don't have ad blockers for TVs right?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

watching the I'm Totally Fine movie on hulu this morning and its giving the UP NEXT message with a 4000 second countdown

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the convenience of using Chromecast on the living room TV gets in the way of this. I'm not fully anti-ad, but on a paid service like Peacock it's dumb, and on a free service like Youtube it'd be ok if they weren't cranking up the frequency to the point of absurdity.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

a pihole DNS ad-blocker can block Peacock ads since they are served from a separate server than the normal content. bit of a technological challenge so memaw and pepaw probably can't get one working, but it's not particularly hard to do if you are moderately proficient with self-configuration.

https://pi-hole.net/

e. to be clear, that's literally anything connected to the internet in your house

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 2, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also Peacock detected when I VPN'd in and locked me out. They're mean.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but then you have to watch on a small screen. They don't have ad blockers for TVs right?

No but your laptop likely has an hdmi out.

Also I get it for "free" so I'm not really upset about ads, but I agree that paid services shouldn't have ads.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The subscriber bases on these publicly traded companies have reached maximum saturation, so between streaming services still releasing content on a weekly cadence, ads for paid services, pullbacks on content libraries, and a large decline in prestige TV in favor of lowest common denominator stuff, it's going to become less and less apparent what the advantage over cable was supposed to be.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I got the cheapest Peacock with ads purely to watch Sunday Night Football. My wife also uses it to watch the Office for background noise on the days she works from home, so the ads don't bother her. I tried watching Nope and gave up and ended up just paying to rent it on Prime.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I went to Hulu without ads a long time ago because the ad breaks were always in weird places. Like watching the classic Outer Limits when they had it (another show that's now loving nowhere for some reason), the show has clear act breaks where commercials would go but because we have more ad breaks these days they never actually used those and would sometimes just stop in the middle of a scene, no rhyme or reason whatsoever.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My mom is a traveling nurse, so they can no longer use Netflix?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Harminoff posted:

My mom is a traveling nurse, so they can no longer use Netflix?

Maybe she can bring a router with her when she travels? There are travel routers designed to go between hotel Wi-Fi and your computer. What a dumb thing to have to do. People are just going sign up for Plex shares shares, which predictably offer an even better use experience over the mainstream apps.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 2, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tiny Timbs posted:

Maybe she can bring a router with her when she travels? There are travel routers designed to go between hotel Wi-Fi and your computer. What a dumb thing to have to do. People are just going sign up for Plex shares shares, which predictably offer an even better use experience over the mainstream apps.

That really won't matter, the "home network" is going to be the key which is likely going to be your external IP address. Which means when Comcast swaps your external IP as they can do, you'll lose access even in your own house.

I have to hope someone is thinking about how they want to handle things like that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Medullah posted:

That really won't matter, the "home network" is going to be the key which is likely going to be your external IP address. Which means when Comcast swaps your external IP as they can do, you'll lose access even in your own house.

I have to hope someone is thinking about how they want to handle things like that.

Yeah I was wondering if they did something else because all the articles talked about a “home Wi-Fi” requirement. Getting static IPs is an opt-in process even if it’s free, which I don’t think it is for ISPs like Comcast.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

Their concern is sharing, not moving, so it's possible that description of the implementation is poorly worded.

They're probably really only concerned with the case where there are still devices watching video from the home IP and also devices from other ips that haven't connected from the home IP in 30 days.

My guess is that this will be complicated enough that it still will be a thing where they specifically have to flag you as possibly abusing it rather than having to enter your home IP or something stupid like that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just buy a whole rear end computer for your tv

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cunk on Earth is really funny

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Cunk on Earth is really funny

I was just watching this, a great documentary series in the spirit of Look Around You.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I heard picard was bad. should I watch it anyway?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
No, i recommend watching something good. Unless you have a YouTube channel or a podcast about bad TV series or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Do what you want in life

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

It's egregiously bad. Easily the worst of the new Star Treks, both seasons.

I've said this in this thread before. Star Trek Discovery had a thrilling first two seasons, but seasons 3 and 4 it lost all the edge, and became a show about how the crew is family, and each episode ends in a musical montage where they all come together to hug. I'm not joking. Both season plotlines are about how there is some threat that is going to destroy the galaxy, and it's boring.

As someone who prefers serialized storyline, I actually welcome the episodic nature of Strange New Worlds.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

It's NOTHING like a star trek show and the story is stupid and non sensical but you get to see old versions of your next gen and STV faves.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ok what about quiet place 2

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the first movie again n

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I would recommend the first season of Star Trek Picard over A Quiet Place Part 2

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I didn't mind Picard season 1, it wasn't great but it was kinda nice seeing the gang back together.

Season 2 should be tried for war crimes against humanity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

ok what about quiet place 2

It's loving terrible much like the first one, but if it's up to watch for free it's an entertaining enough way to waste 2 hours. Some of the most overrated movies ever though. They really suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I only saw bits and pieces of part 2 but it looked bad. It isn't scary when the CG video game monster just throws people offscreen to kill them.

I guess it's more about humans adapting and being lovely and tribalistic. It lifts imagery from The Road and The Last Of Us games, which frankly, their new show is probably what you're looking for anyway.