Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Mafia 1 is pretty decent but seriously has the most pointless 'open world' in any game, there is literally no reason for it to exist other than to make you drive from place to place. I've pretty sure most of the time you can't even explore it you just get a big 'RETURN TO MISSION' warning.

That sounds like I remember, although maybe it was 2 that I played. Either way, it was exactly as you described. A giant, beautifully detailed open world, designed with realism in mind so you had to follow speed limits and generally not be an rear end.

And any time you tried to explore it outside of a mission the game would flip out on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sammus posted:

That sounds like I remember, although maybe it was 2 that I played. Either way, it was exactly as you described. A giant, beautifully detailed open world, designed with realism in mind so you had to follow speed limits and generally not be an rear end.

And any time you tried to explore it outside of a mission the game would flip out on you.

It recreated the model t experience and little tooo closely.

Was that the one with the horseshit race level that had to be patched or was that Mafia 2?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I am amazed that for the 3rd year in a row MLB The Show, a game made by a Sony developer, will be available on Game Pass but Playstation players gotta shell out $60/70. Not even a discount for ps+ members. Just brilliant.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s pretty funny

I’m excited for how good we’ll have it on PS6 since Sony only remembers the lessons learned from the most recent gen every time we get new console now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hector Delgado posted:

I am amazed that for the 3rd year in a row MLB The Show, a game made by a Sony developer, will be available on Game Pass but Playstation players gotta shell out $60/70. Not even a discount for ps+ members. Just brilliant.

Jim Ryan has done it again.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Was that the one with the horseshit race level that had to be patched or was that Mafia 2?

That was Mafia 1 yes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The plus collection was 20 (iirc) PS4 games they put up for free when the PS5 launched as a “here’s a bunch of PS4 games you can play especially if you never had a PS4” incentive.

The catalog is the huge list of games they started offering when they added new tiers to plus.

Honestly this should have happened when they did the big PS+ revamp last year, it was silly for them to have three tiers of paid game catalog plus monthly games plus another 20 game collection that was separate for some reason.

The sane way to do it, especially if your service was already taking flak for not having any games, would be to announce the Plus Collection games are getting folded into the base PS+ game catalog. Not removing them entirely lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How in the gently caress did the checkpoint save right before the hardest fight in Callisto Protocol make it through QA? WTF?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mcmagic posted:

How in the gently caress did the checkpoint save right before the hardest fight in Callisto Protocol make it through QA? WTF?

Yeah if you go into that with the wrong weapons equipped just reload your last save before lol absolutely ridiculous. Apparently a recent patch made swapping weapons easier but it dunno if it helps there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah if you go into that with the wrong weapons equipped just reload your last save before lol absolutely ridiculous. Apparently a recent patch made swapping weapons easier but it dunno if it helps there.

It also saves BEFORE you get to use the store so every time you die you have to re buy everything you just bought LOL. How is this something that makes it into a game in 2023?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Phenotype posted:

Honestly this should have happened when they did the big PS+ revamp last year, it was silly for them to have three tiers of paid game catalog plus monthly games plus another 20 game collection that was separate for some reason.

The sane way to do it, especially if your service was already taking flak for not having any games, would be to announce the Plus Collection games are getting folded into the base PS+ game catalog. Not removing them entirely lol

Coming to this completely fresh I feel like that's probably going to happen, a bunch of them already are. Obviously The Last of Us Remastered probably isn't going to be among them so they can sell that remake though. Personally I'm glad it's getting lots of warning so I can play the PS4 Ratchet and Clank I never played. Honestly I think the PS+ catalogue at this point is pretty solid, it just looks worse next to Game Pass because they don't put new releases in there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Jim Ryan has done it again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nuts and Gum posted:

It recreated the model t experience and little tooo closely.

No it's Mafia 1, and I can tell you as someone that played the remaster on PC I still had a hell of a time with that race level. You basically can't gently caress up, even on lower difficulties.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sammus posted:

The Remake adds more open world stuff and other challenges/collectibles to make it less empty.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
They are getting rid of the ps plus collection because they were only ever for us dumbshit early adopters... now its going means May 2023, next gen will begin. No. More. Crossgen. Ps5 8k rt 30fps all the way

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

Haha y-yeah *preorders £95 digital deluxe version*

We get ~*~savings~*~ that way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

EightFlyingCars posted:

nice of you to invite your mom over

:laugh:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It also saves BEFORE you get to use the store so every time you die you have to re buy everything you just bought LOL. How is this something that makes it into a game in 2023?

If only there was, say, a typewriter you could use to manually save your game as needed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sony was never going to renegotiate the rights for some of these games in perpetuity, that the collection thing will have gone on for 30 months is unusual in itself.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Remake adds more open world stuff and other challenges/collectibles to make it less empty.

As I recall, there was a bit of a scandal because a lot of that stuff was supposedly stripped from the base game to be released as paid DLC. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I do remember that the game very strongly favored realism over fun when you weren’t on missions.

it’s a prime example of open worlds gone wrong.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ps5 8k rt 30fps all the way

I mean, I knew you were crazy but this is too much

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sammus posted:

As I recall, there was a bit of a scandal because a lot of that stuff was supposedly stripped from the base game to be released as paid DLC. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I do remember that the game very strongly favored realism over fun when you weren’t on missions.

it’s a prime example of open worlds gone wrong.
I know that Mafia 2 had a bunch of the open world stuff stripped out of the original game to be sold as DLC. You are probably thinking of that because the original Mafia was before DLC was a thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

They are getting rid of the ps plus collection because they were only ever for us dumbshit early adopters... now its going means May 2023, next gen will begin. No. More. Crossgen. Ps5 8k rt 30fps all the way

PS5 Ambassador Programme

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I mean, I knew you were crazy but this is too much

You're right, 24FPS is a much cleaner number

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They put 8k on the box and i demand satisfaction

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vikar Jerome posted:

Alright misterxmedia, I think you’ve had a little too much of the secret sauce. Go lie down for a while.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

do any titles even hit 4k60 without turning off all the ray tracing and poo poo?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know that Mafia 2 had a bunch of the open world stuff stripped out of the original game to be sold as DLC. You are probably thinking of that because the original Mafia was before DLC was a thing.

I must’ve skipped the first one and just played Mafia 2 then.

So the first one’s open world is just as bad??? What about the 3rd?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sammus posted:

All 3 games have bad open worlds.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

good god you absolute loving dullards lol

never post again!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Phenotype posted:

do any titles even hit 4k60 without turning off all the ray tracing and poo poo?

I'm not sure there are any games that even render at native 4K except for last-gen ports or indies

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Boy I'm sure glad sony said they were cracking down on trophy bait games, now to browse the store and..oh nevermind there's yet another loving jumping food game by that one rear end in a top hat, released two days ago

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

easy allies awards are out and they're good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I3z8RjILbI

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

easy allies awards are out and they're good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I3z8RjILbI

The swerve at the end was hilarious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

The swerve at the end was hilarious.

They do that every year and it never stops being good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Well, pretty much done everything I can do in the theatrhythm demo, at least on the 2nd difficulty setting. I suppose I could try higher difficulties but the second level is nice and comfy while still feeling like your playing most of the song while throwing a few curve balls now and again. Think I want to wait for the full game and play through everything on that setting and then go back and try to master my favourites on higher settings.

drat I fucken love video games. This year is so exciting

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
How did easy allies not mention the last of us part 1 for best remake?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sammus posted:

So the original Mafia (not the remake) had a little bit of extra content that was separate from the main story. You couldn't do a lot in the open world of the main story except a game-spanning group of sidequests where one character sends you to steal certain cars for him.

The remake has more open-world collecting and such, as well as some challenge missions. I didn't really mess with that too much when I played it.

The third game has a LOT more open-world stuff, because the gist of the game is that you are taking on these various gangs kind of like a GTA game and slowly taking their territory through side missions. Most people thought it was excessive and repetitive. I thought it was OK but it definitely could have been reduced. The main story of 3 is very strong. I think 2 has the weakest story of all of them because the main character is a piece of poo poo the entire time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think Mafia 2 is most notable for having NPC Nolan North having a conversation with NPC Nolan North

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.eurogamer.net/soma-devs-unscripted-ww1-horror-amnesia-the-bunker-delayed-into-may