Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

koei tecmo did toukiden which was a pretty cool monster hunter knockoff so i am hopeful for this new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Time for some February games. You got one month off from the craziness, but it's about to pop off ALREADY this year.

Like A Dragon: Ishin - Feb 21 - All the world's a stage, and on this stage, the Yakuza characters play the roles of people in 1860s Kyo, at the end of the samurai era.

Appreciate the list. I started playing Yakuza 0 slowly a couple weeks ago and it's good, now I want to play them all, particularly this samurai one.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Do people actually like the Steam Deck interface as a Big Picture replacement? Big Picture was a bit crap, but at least the controller buttons did things that made sense. When I tried the new interface a couple weeks back, navigating around it felt really awkward.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Probably not Steam’s fault if you’re pressing a controller button and a picture of a clown shows up or something

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

chglcu posted:

Do people actually like the Steam Deck interface as a Big Picture replacement? Big Picture was a bit crap, but at least the controller buttons did things that made sense. When I tried the new interface a couple weeks back, navigating around it felt really awkward.

it's just a tiny bit better but has still way too much in common with normal shitt BP mode

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Trucker Hat posted:

Has anyone tried Jettatura? Wizardry: The Five Ordeals? It's kind of slim pickings.

Jettatura is so relentlessly old-school that it includes stat-downs on levelling up, and doesn't have a spell that shows you the map. (Unless you add a command-line parameter that mildly insults you for it.) I tried it for a bit and realized that I probably would be in the mood for it sometime, but not just now.

Wizardry: The Five Ordeals is pretty awesome. It's a port of an older Wizardry game that came with a scenario editor, so this new one has a way to upload and download the files from that old editor. There are five main scenarios and 120 downloadable ones. The campaign scenarios that come with are all in English, and 20 or so of the downloadable scenarios have added English text. I also wrote a guide on how to set up and use Universal Game Translator to play the ones that have not.

It is a great big pile of Wizardry to play. I have almost 100 hours in it and have completed no scenarios, because I started playing before the English campaigns were available and it's way too interesting to bounce around checking things out.

Fair warning: Ctrl-F1 is the reset key and the game almost expects you to use it if you wipe out in combat or get a bad level-up. Another tip, always make your own characters and roll until you have more than 25 bonus points.

Jack Trades posted:

Has there been a single dungeon crawler that even attempted the Wizardry 8's best feature where the characters you created actually had...character, by having a lot of unique voice lines for practically every situation?
I feel like I've seen a lot of Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers and none of them bothered putting any effort into your party members the way Wizardry 8 did.

This kind of goes against the Wizardry-style ethos, where you've made characters and the game doesn't give them any kind of personality because it might not be what you had in mind. I like 8's barks, but they were controversial at the time. There are piles of Japanese Wizardry descendants that have VN-style scenes to provide characterization because they also have done away with this and have set party members.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

haldolium posted:

it's just a tiny bit better but has still way too much in common with normal shitt BP mode

I just tried it again, and I think I mostly just hated the Home screen since it's just a useless pile of poo poo I don't care about, and I didn't figure out how to get to the library view in the couple minutes I gave it. Once I got to the right page it was less horrible. That said, if there's no way to default to library view instead of home, I'd rather just have the old BPM.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Oh yeah, I forgot to note two things:

They're implementing a web-based version of the scenario editor for Five Ordeals. They have to do it that way for legal reasons -- due to the license they have, no scenario can use maps or spell names from Wizardry 1 - 5.

The developer's other Wizardry games, Prisoners of the Battles and Absence of Misericordia, are coming as DLC.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

atholbrose posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to note two things:

They're implementing a web-based version of the scenario editor for Five Ordeals. They have to do it that way for legal reasons -- due to the license they have, no scenario can use maps or spell names from Wizardry 1 - 5.

The developer's other Wizardry games, Prisoners of the Battles and Absence of Misericordia, are coming as DLC.

How powerful is the scenario editor? That sounds Extremely My Jam

E: like can you make custom shops and stuff, or do any kind of script/trigger based events? Or is it just purely a dungeon editor? Custom art assets?

e: Making a wizardry-like with all hand-drawn art is pretty much my dream :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 1, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Kins posted:

Also, Big Picture Mode has been replaced with the Steam Deck interface.

Not that I ever used Big Picture mode, but outa curiosity I fired it up now and had a jolly laugh that Steam Deck mode runs at 2 fps on Linux.

Irony

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

deep dish peat moss posted:

How powerful is the scenario editor? That sounds Extremely My Jam

E: like can you make custom shops and stuff, or do any kind of script/trigger based events? Or is it just purely a dungeon editor? Custom art assets?

e: Making a wizardry-like with all hand-drawn art is pretty much my dream :allears:

Pretty powerful, if focused on a very WIzardry-like experience -- hub town, edge of town, dungeon. You can make custom shops and rename and set the stock of the default shop, make spells, change what spells different classes learn when, make new items and monsters, trigger events, have multiple dungeons that open due to different flags. I don't know if you can import any art -- I haven't seen any scenarios where that's obviously happened. I also know there are several flags that toggle options about how the game calculates or shows things.

I'll attach their "sneak peek" screenshot of the web editor. The tabs say things like "Floor Settings", "Labyrinth Setting", and "Data Tools".

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i dont think the five ordeals scenario editor allows you to add custom art assets. you can't really add new art to it outside of character portraits unfortunately

though i gotta say, their character portrait system is weirdly in-depth, you can have portraits for specific health values, status effects, and combinations of health and status effects as well as a few other misc portraits like opening chests.

edit: also if you want to play five ordeals, this is the best program i've found for mapping out the dungeons if you don't want to use actual graph paper

https://graphpaper-news.blogspot.com/2022/09/1.html

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 1, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

atholbrose posted:

This kind of goes against the Wizardry-style ethos, where you've made characters and the game doesn't give them any kind of personality because it might not be what you had in mind. I like 8's barks, but they were controversial at the time. There are piles of Japanese Wizardry descendants that have VN-style scenes to provide characterization because they also have done away with this and have set party members.

That's unfortunate. It's a really cool and unique feature that nobody else bothered with copying.

The closest thing I can come up with is Shadow of Mordor/War where custom characters are had a bunch of dialogue based on different events, except in that game those characters are enemies instead of your party members.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Probably not Steam’s fault if you’re pressing a controller button and a picture of a clown shows up or something

A button on my controller that turns my monitor off? Who would want such a thing?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

boof posted:

Really happy to see all this Northern Journey talk.

There's a particular map where you're traversing back and forth across several bridges to get to the top of a massive waterfall. It's just solely dedicated to that, and there's no enemies to speak of, and the traversal itself isn't challenging at all.. it's just a beautiful, relaxing bit of tone-setting that comes after a very stressful series of boss fight encounters.

I just finished the game and you mean Fallcrush, right? It was easily one of my favorites as well for the exact reasons you mentioned.

I do think the game loses a little bit of steam in the final third, but maybe I just played too much of it over the past couple of days. I found myself grumbling a decent amount at some of the setpiece battles and the final few levels weren't as visually striking as those in the first half of the game (mostly found it a bit disappointing to go from the fjords and marshes to your kind of standard ice/lava stuff, and the balance between combat and exploration tipped too much towards the former for my taste). But overall it's a pretty magnificent game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nah northern journey’s last third is definitely weaker than the rest of the game with a few too many gimmicks in place of the normal gameplay, but if you made it that far in the first place it’s not like you’re gonna quit before the end

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They just rolled out a big year one update for Dying Light 2 that overhauled the hit animations to make them more ragdoll-ey, which if you spent a decent amount of time with both DL1 and 2 you'd know felt like a regression between sequels and it actually feels a whole lot more dynamic now. Hits with impact bats send bodies loving flying now which is really satisfying and the zombies kinda stumble around more when they get knocked around. Definitely feels like a good change, and it's cool seeing them supporting it with significant updates like this so far after launch. I might have to actually finish that drat game (although they can't fix the story, i'm still skipping that poo poo)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Jack Trades posted:

Hi-Fi Rush is extremely frustrating, because all of it's separate parts are extremely my poo poo. Overstylized art, musical focus, character action combat. All the good poo poo I love.
I really want to like this game but I'm just not having any fun with it.
It makes me feel bad because I constantly get D timing scores. I can gently caress poo poo up, but I can't do it "right".

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of Wizardry inspired games.

Has there been a single dungeon crawler that even attempted the Wizardry 8's best feature where the characters you created actually had...character, by having a lot of unique voice lines for practically every situation?
I feel like I've seen a lot of Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers and none of them bothered putting any effort into your party members the way Wizardry 8 did.
I think Bard's Tale IV did this but I don't remember. I'd recommend it anyways. Also Wizards & Warriors and Might & Magic X.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jelly posted:

It makes me feel bad because I constantly get D timing scores. I can gently caress poo poo up, but I can't do it "right".

Fight the urge to mash, treat it like you get one discrete action per beat, and your just timing will improve. I started out with D scores last week and now I’m in the 70-80 range, which is still bad, but improving greatly

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

atholbrose posted:

Another tip, always make your own characters and roll until you have more than 25 bonus points.

Now there is a true Wizardry sentence. Sudden PTSD of rerolling characters like a million times as a kid to try and get a ninja and a lord in my party to start.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I get good timing scores and clear fights quickly but I'll be damned if I can get more than a C rank in 'score' in most hi fi rush fights.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Agent355 posted:

I get good timing scores and clear fights quickly but I'll be damned if I can get more than a C rank in 'score' in most hi fi rush fights.

Conversely, I find myself getting bad scores in regular fights that drag down my rankings, but good boss fight rankings.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

#winning

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my brother did discover that the front usb ports on his rig he had his headset plugged apparently have a higher audio latency than the back ones which completely changed his experience with the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m near the end of stage 2 on hard in HFR and pulling all A’s and S’s but I could really use a parry

also realizing how much I missed game stories that are just “here’s an elite cadre of loving weirdos, hit them until cutscenes fall out”

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

StarkRavingMad posted:

Now there is a true Wizardry sentence. Sudden PTSD of rerolling characters like a million times as a kid to try and get a ninja and a lord in my party to start.
Hell, the original Baldur's Gate forced you to roll for stats and didn't let you pick which stat you put which roll in, so it could take some time to get a set of rolls suitable for the class you're aiming for. Game, while it's not bad for my mage to have 16 Strength and 15 Constitution, but I would like higher than a 12 for his Intelligence!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Hell, the original Baldur's Gate forced you to roll for stats and didn't let you pick which stat you put which roll in, so it could take some time to get a set of rolls suitable for the class you're aiming for. Game, while it's not bad for my mage to have 16 Strength and 15 Constitution, but I would like higher than a 12 for his Intelligence!

That was 2e in a nutshell. You roll stats, then hope you can pick the class you want.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Commander Keene posted:

What would be the ideal way of handling this, outside of point-buy? (Which encourages excessive min-maxing and analysis paralysis during char creation, see: Fallout) Maybe something where you played a tutorial level stat-free and at the end of it revealed your stats, which are tied to your seed when you started (so you can't scum) and then auto-corrected into the class you chose? That'd probably make a lot of nerds angry, lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Holy poo poo Pizza Tower is really good. Thought it would just be some goofy fun but it's got a really fluid and compelling movement system and you could really go crazy with the speed run/score attack aspect if you wanted, but it's also just fun to explore and work your way through the levels. Love the escape sequences too

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serephina posted:

What would be the ideal way of handling this, outside of point-buy? (Which encourages excessive min-maxing and analysis paralysis during char creation, see: Fallout) Maybe something where you played a tutorial level stat-free and at the end of it revealed your stats, which are tied to your seed when you started (so you can't scum) and then auto-corrected into the class you chose? That'd probably make a lot of nerds angry, lol
Either that or just the Temple of Elemental Evil way where you get your six rolls at chargen and can allocate them as you choose to your stats. Maybe a stat array could work, where you get e.g. a 16, 15, 14, 12, 10, 8 to allocate as you choose.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

goferchan posted:

Holy poo poo Pizza Tower is really good. Thought it would just be some goofy fun but it's got a really fluid and compelling movement system and you could really go crazy with the speed run/score attack aspect if you wanted, but it's also just fun to explore and work your way through the levels. Love the escape sequences too

if you like Celeste you gotta play this game. it might looks like they're completely different genres but the fluidity of the movement tech is extremely reminiscient

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Venuz Patrol posted:

if you like Celeste you gotta play this game. it might looks like they're completely different genres but the fluidity of the movement tech is extremely reminiscient

Yeah absolutely. It's Celeste meets Wario Land meets Earthworm Jim

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Serephina posted:

D&D systems punish you for not having the max score possible at character creation on the attributes your class requires so either an array or point buy would be ideal. The idea that going with an 18 for your main stat (which defines how often you are useful in any given encounter and it's completely binary) is min-maxing or 'not wanting to roleplay' is after-the-fact nerd justifications for a bad system. Not saying that's what you especifically were trying to say, but it's one of the most tired defenses for the attribute system there is - not maxing out your main stat means you're either making encounters take longer at best, or being an active detriment at worst.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 2, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

This sounds like the worst possible implementation of the Fallout 3 intro prologue system, made deliberately worse out of sheer grognardesque hostility to players.

Also, complaining about minmaxing in D&D or similar systems is missing the forest for the trees.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
A person tells me they're into "minmaxing" I won't shake their hand; I spit at them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a symptom, not the cause.

And it is definitely disconnected from the quality of roleplaying in a singleplayer rpg.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

D&D system is notoriously poo poo. Even more so when it comes to using it for a video game because then the compromises it makes in design to make the combat flow faster at a table make absolutely no sense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The man who has only seen Boss Baby meme, but about D&D and tired stereotypes about "power gamers" trying to talk to people who've played any ttrpg designed after 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You can't even get the REAL bullshit going in D&D anyway, not enough flexibility building characters. Call me when you play a system where you can find a way to destroy the entire planet, if not universe, on a starting character's budget.