Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Nice one OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My dad's been sick lately, so I've been spending more time at my parents' place than usual. I thought I would redo the "study" I set up over the garage in grad school and turn it into a more proper office space for working from there.

Before (kind of a shitshow)

After

how do you like those Audezes? (and which ones are they?)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

IUG posted:

Your heater gives me anxiety for that poor kitty.
Lol why

TenementFunster posted:

how do you like those Audezes? (and which ones are they?)
LCD-2 Fazor. I actually got them for my dad originally as a gift but he didn't like that they're open-backed, lol. So I keep them here, hoping I can someday convince him to use them again (and putting them to good use in the meantime.)

I think they're terrific. Maybe a little on the dark/veiled side but never fatiguing or sibilant. They do need a beefy amp though.

wolrah posted:

For a second there I thought that was a SPA942 and was shocked to see one still in service. A SPA525 is still ancient but doesn't really lack much other than gigabit and modern WiFi.
I have a mesh AP in here with a 5ghz backchannel, which I figure is better than what I would get on a wifi-capable set anyway. The main thing about the SPA525G and the other ones from that gen is that they're still easy to set up through an html UI. The newer ones all require this crazy Cisco software or editing XML if you have one with the right license. Hard pass.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nom epique posted:

Nice one OP
Thanks bro

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just how it seems to lean out or loom over the cat. I’m worried that gravity is going to make it land on the cat.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

IUG posted:

Just how it seems to lean out or loom over the cat. I’m worried that gravity is going to make it land on the cat.
Oh, these dyson heaters are safe doing that - they stay planted even when you tilt it up or down.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've got an Uplift desk and I'd like to attach some storage underneath it so i can keep little things like headphones or unused notebooks out of the way.

Does anyone have recommendations? I don't mind screwing into the wood but I see there are some smaller shelves that attach solely with doublestick tape so that could be nice if it works.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I've got an Uplift desk and I'd like to attach some storage underneath it so i can keep little things like headphones or unused notebooks out of the way.

Does anyone have recommendations? I don't mind screwing into the wood but I see there are some smaller shelves that attach solely with doublestick tape so that could be nice if it works.

I haven't used them personally but Uplift sells storage solutions that are compatible with most of their desk models.

e: https://www.upliftdesk.com/bamboo-desk-drawer-uplift-desk/

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just bought https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B4JLDVCR/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 . They're great. I'm sure they work with most desktops.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have like four of these under my desk and they all came with double sided adhesive tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09JK7ZHRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Charles Leclerc posted:

I have like four of these under my desk and they all came with double sided adhesive tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09JK7ZHRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ya I have the double version of this. Works good.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
I don't think I've ever posted in this thread but my desk is actually in a clean/organized state so here it is:

The upper right monitor is usually hooked up to my work laptop and the top two are tilted slightly so no, they don't hurt my neck, I don't even have to move my head to see them.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
that certainly is a handy way to remind yourself if you ever forget what brand of central processing unit is in that machine

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TenementFunster posted:

that certainly is a handy way to remind yourself if you ever forget what brand of central processing unit is in that machine

I like to think they are an Intel employee and that background serves as a constant reminder to perform better.

Either way, great looking setup.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Figured this would be a good thread to ask. Can you get like 4 motorized legs and a control module to retrofit to an existing desk? If not, what are some good budget options for a motorized standing/sitting desk? Thanks, in Canada if that matters.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you can get the flexispot E7Q frame without a desktop and attach your own, but "quad leg standing desk" and "budget" don't really mix

the frame alone is CA $1300

https://www.flexispot.ca/flexispot-odin-4-leg-standing-desk-e7q

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Figured this would be a good thread to ask. Can you get like 4 motorized legs and a control module to retrofit to an existing desk? If not, what are some good budget options for a motorized standing/sitting desk? Thanks, in Canada if that matters.

Tons of options, here's an amazon.ca search for "standing desk frame" - https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=standing+desk+frame&crid=KVVZ04JOFLJI&sprefix=standing+desk+%2Caps%2C81&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_14

edit: misread the 4 leg part of the request, but these may work anyways

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks! Yeah I was just thinking 4 legs because the desk has 4 legs now, it doesn't need to be 4 legs and those solutions would work fine.

Cheers!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

VelociBacon posted:

I just picked up two TOPSKY frames. I planned originally to slap on my Husky workbench tops on there but then ended up just buying new butcher block tops from a store and spending twice as much on the project as I wanted to. If you have a solid wood top I'd also recommend some threaded wood inserts instead of screwing the desk directly into the wood.

https://a.co/d/6DV7bvR

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

benisntfunny posted:

I just picked up two TOPSKY frames. I planned originally to slap on my Husky workbench tops on there but then ended up just buying new butcher block tops from a store and spending twice as much on the project as I wanted to. If you have a solid wood top I'd also recommend some threaded wood inserts instead of screwing the desk directly into the wood.

how many times have you had to dust the wall

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Nice one OP. What is the thing with all the buttons on the desk. No not th e keyboard op. The thing on the edge

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

nom epique posted:

Nice one OP. What is the thing with all the buttons on the desk. No not th e keyboard op. The thing on the edge

elgato stream deck

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Deviant posted:

elgato stream deck

What’s it do

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nom epique posted:

What’s it do

it's a customizable macropad

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My dad's been sick lately, so I've been spending more time at my parents' place than usual. I thought I would redo the "study" I set up over the garage in grad school and turn it into a more proper office space for working from there.

Before (kind of a shitshow)

I thought this looked great, love that desk. Just needs some tidying up.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TenementFunster posted:

how many times have you had to dust the wall

Around zero? I’m writing code in here not building furniture.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

benisntfunny posted:

Around zero? I’m writing code in here not building furniture.

I think it was a poorly thought out joke around each fold in your wall collecting dust.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

TenementFunster posted:

Ha I really should change it up, I was a bit excited when I switched to AMD for CPU and GPU and haven't changed it since.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I thought this looked great, love that desk. Just needs some tidying up.
Eh, it was too big for the room and blocking a radiator. Plus I have a more modern attitude about furniture

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I added extra monitors to my setup, and they're blocking the bookshelf speakers that currently reside on the desk.

Should I just mount them to the wall up high? Or is there a better answer?

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Clamping-Bookshelf-Surrounding-SWM201/dp/B01GUITK24 or the like

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

benisntfunny posted:

Can I ask what did you used to mount the Stream Deck under the desk please?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="529613423"]
Can I ask what did you used to mount the Stream Deck under the desk please?

A whole bunch of options on Etsy. Just search "Stream Deck Mount" and you'll find tons of people with 3D printers who will whip one right up for you. For whatever reason I can't find mine in my past order history but I'm 100% confident I got it from there.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Any suggestions or things to avoid when it comes to bias lighting for my monitor?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

Any suggestions or things to avoid when it comes to bias lighting for my monitor?

Open flame.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Doom Mathematic posted:

My new monitor came with an RGB backlight, but it's a little dim for backlight purposes, I've just been sticking an adjustable led lamp back there for years.

I know there are kits that sync to the content being displayed on the TV, but I don't know if any work with monitors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hugely, hugely happy with my govvee flow bars behind my monitor.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
Not pictured: I picked up an MX Master 3S to replace the Magic Mouse.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Why do you need both a standing desk and a footrest? Does the chair or desk not go low enough? Also, cool cat.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

qsvui posted:

Why do you need both a standing desk and a footrest? Does the chair or desk not go low enough? Also, cool cat.

I’m short, and this desk doesn’t go low enough, so I have to raise the height of my chair to make up for it, lol
I’ve had the desk for a couple of years come April, and I’m thinking about upgrading :)

And also, she’s the best! She’ll be turning 15 in May :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That cat definitely looks like the lights are on but nobody's home. I love her!