Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I swear to god one of my stories was "I like wrapping presents fancy"

Thank God I lost before we got to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If I'm ever on and go on a tear, my sixth anecdote will be about how hard it was to make up five fake anecdotes

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's really hard to find something that's not too boring, not too wild, and also ideally not too braggy

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
The other problem is that they've got to be anecdotes that you want to have read about you on national TV. I had turned in one about dumpster diving for Wendy's cups to earn free airline tickets in college, and then was mortified when that showed up on Alex's card as one of the things he may ask about. Luckily he just asked about my job because he liked computers.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Spokes posted:

i went back to look at the contestant release i submitted and let me tell you what I led with:

the other four are somehow even worse

This owns actually

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I was pretty fine with any of my main five anecdote submissions being chosen, but answering the additional thirty or so questions that they also wanted took me HOURS. They were so open-ended.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

remember when Ken and Alex would just shoot the poo poo because he had already told us his whole life story

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
one of mine was about the time I accidentally killed a bald eagle trying to rescue it to take it to the vet by jumping off an atv with a garbage bag.
at my first audition the guy literally beside me told a story about how he volunteered at a wild bird rehab centre and was almost crying describing re-releasing a bald eagle.

they asked me about why my favourite hockey team was picked because of a cool. mustache instead and I was extremely relieved

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How badly are the usual complainers complaining about the current champ's mannerisms?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My mom is extremely mad fwiw

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I saw a FB post from someone in a random J! fans group saying they've never been this angry at the end of an episode. I'm like 90 episodes behind so I had no idea what they were talking about but now I guess I do!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

HookShot posted:

I saw a FB post from someone in a random J! fans group saying they've never been this angry at the end of an episode. I'm like 90 episodes behind so I had no idea what they were talking about but now I guess I do!

When he gets a DD right, he's visibly happy about it!!

(Though today he does do the Holzhauer "all-in" gesture so maybe the haters are making points.)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He's doing the "vomit an entire sentence in 0.004 seconds" thing and that needs to stop. Sure, nerves and all that, but I get the impression that someone told him about it in a break and he doesn't care. He's hosed up more than one response because he didn't just slow down (last night definitely had one at the end of a round where he was acting like the correct ruling was a forgone conclusion and was already putting his buzzer away before Ken even said his name).

At least Ken called out his bizarre "Category for 10" abbreviation in his first episode.

I dunno. There have been more annoying contestants, but it stresses me out watching these games and I get a weird reddit incel vibe from him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Some years ago, I worked with a guy who had motor Tourette's, and some of the current champ's movements remind me of when my coworker would get stressed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Most Jeopardy contestants in the last several years now start at the most expensive clues and fish for Daily Doubles.

It's amazing when done right but extremely painful when it isn't. Both guys last night did this and it was awful becaue they were flailing badly.

I don't know how you can adjust for the expensive clues part, but I think they should start putting more Daily Doubles at the top of the board and keeping the difficulty level up on them.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I dunno. There have been more annoying contestants, but it stresses me out watching these games and I get a weird reddit incel vibe from him.

The personality reminds me of bit of Sheldon Cooper.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On that guy's first night I had to check if I had accidentally set the DVR to fast playback

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I totally understand why they do it, but I'm not a huge fan of the 'fish for Daily Doubles' strategy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I totally understand why they do it, but I'm not a huge fan of the 'fish for Daily Doubles' strategy.

A lot of them do it but then seem frightened of actually finding one.

I've said a lot recently that it seems like there are two distinct categories of champion now:

There's the "James" archetype, taking big risks and making big plays on DDs. They almost always win by a runaway, but if they don't find the DDs and it isn't a runaway they struggle. (James himself was more consistent, but his imitators aren't)

Then there's the "Amy/Matt/Ken" archetype: The classic J! champ who has both breadth and depth of knowledge. They wager conservatively on DDs and don't even necessarily seek them out. They are just consistent enough to get the win regardless, and notably their Final correct% is extremely high.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't know how you can adjust for the expensive clues part, but I think they should start putting more Daily Doubles at the top of the board and keeping the difficulty level up on them.

In complete agreement. Ugh it's so awkward when they do that and the category is either a weird one they don't quite understand yet or I remember a few categories in older games that actually went in order (I vaguely remember one where the last clue was "the year that links all of the previous clues" or something).

My idea: I think they could write 6-clue categories instead of 5. The first 5 are the usual category clues, but then you write an explicit DD clue (which is more difficult). Make its location truly random each round. Wherever it lands, you remove that value clue from the category and sub in the tougher DD clue.

I think that would put an end to the hunting, if not playing from the bottom up, and it might shake up the DDs if they're harder than they've been lately.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

A lot of them do it but then seem frightened of actually finding one.

I've said a lot recently that it seems like there are two distinct categories of champion now:

There's the "James" archetype, taking big risks and making big plays on DDs. They almost always win by a runaway, but if they don't find the DDs and it isn't a runaway they struggle. (James himself was more consistent, but his imitators aren't)

Then there's the "Amy/Matt/Ken" archetype: The classic J! champ who has both breadth and depth of knowledge. They wager conservatively on DDs and don't even necessarily seek them out. They are just consistent enough to get the win regardless, and notably their Final correct% is extremely high.

I've probably said before that I prefer the Amy/Matt/Ken archetype to the robotic James/Cris style. That's mostly just personal preference, though.

Seems like I read at one point that Daily Doubles were almost never located at $100/$200 clue positions, but that they were far more likely the farther down the clue column you got? Maybe that's changed now, but I can't remember the last time someone got a DD at the top of a category.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm turning into a crank about starting at the bottom. It makes it very difficult to play along at home when everyone is doing that and bouncing around the board. I wouldn't be surprised to see them mandate going top down at some point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even if they change the DD placement, doing the bottom of the board first is still advantageous because that's how you build up a huge early lead and put yourself in position to make big DD bets in the first place

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've probably said before that I prefer the Amy/Matt/Ken archetype to the robotic James/Cris style. That's mostly just personal preference, though.

Seems like I read at one point that Daily Doubles were almost never located at $100/$200 clue positions, but that they were far more likely the farther down the clue column you got? Maybe that's changed now, but I can't remember the last time someone got a DD at the top of a category.

My understanding is that DDs used to only appear in the bottom three rows, and it's only recently that they allowed them to appear in the second row. I assume they're equally likely to appear in any of row 2-5, but maybe you're right that it's weighted.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

zakharov posted:

I'm turning into a crank about starting at the bottom. It makes it very difficult to play along at home when everyone is doing that and bouncing around the board. I wouldn't be surprised to see them mandate going top down at some point.

If they make them go in order what would the point of having a board even be.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't mind that the current champ is animated or fast, I DO mind when he hits the podium after an incorrect response

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He's also continuing to :jerkbag: constantly (he "claps" on things like DDs by banging his fists together, but the lower fist is concealed behind the podium most of the time).

He seems like a reboot of that champ who just randomly died before the TOC Buzzy hosted I think it was? Brandon? Braden? Something like that.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm bad with geography and that didn't seem like a triple stumper final.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

WarEternal posted:

I'm bad with geography and that didn't seem like a triple stumper final.

it's a toughie in 30 seconds (and harder if you don't know that they touch, i'm sure a lot of people think the top of CA and the bottom of OR are flush all the way to the eastern border

e: Dakota (s) and Dakota (n)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
He ran a Country Music category which is a massive red flag to me.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I'm going to be a cyber bully: I do not enjoy watching the current champ

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm going to be a cyber bully: I do not enjoy watching the current champ

He sucks. He's like the stereotypical bully in a 90s teen sitcom.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't really see that so much but I do get why people are put off by the champion's mannerisms.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I wanna put him in a trash bag.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i can't believe yogesh couldn't even hold the title of least likable contestant through the end of the month

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Spokes posted:

i can't believe yogesh couldn't even hold the title of least likable contestant through the end of the month

Nah, the yog man’s still got it imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
His mannerisms are pretty annoying though I’ll give you that

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Let's wait and see what kind of public meltdown this guy has after he loses before we call it one way or the other

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

He sucks. He's like the stereotypical bully in a 90s teen sitcom.

He feels like someone who needs to be bullied

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Harry Privates posted:

He feels like someone who needs to be bullied

He seems like a kid who never got bullied into changing his annoying habits for the better

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Let's wait and see what kind of public meltdown this guy has after he loses before we call it one way or the other

I said during his second game I bet there would have been a fun meltdown if the woman in third had come from behind to win (another "third place bets it all for no reason" game, though the small wager by the champ negated the mistake).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

THANK GOD