Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It’s me, I’m the one who’s been praying for tf3 but also I would have never stopped complaining about the apex aspects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EA gives us the Dead Space remake which is incredible, then this... god drat it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Bummer. We have boomer shooter clones, I'm sure somebody will eventually make a TF clone.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Go to hell, EA

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bummer. We have boomer shooter clones, I'm sure somebody will eventually make a TF clone.

Maybe. I could see an indie dev making a game with a similar single-player experience but I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer experience was cursed to flounder much like how boomer shooters' multiplayer equivalent, the arena shooter. has been cursed for decades.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Truxton posted:

Maybe. I could see an indie dev making a game with a similar single-player experience but I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer experience was cursed to flounder much like how boomer shooters' multiplayer equivalent, the arena shooter. has been cursed for decades.

Hmmmmm. I'd like to think it's because those aren't actually that fun due to skill gap issues. But you may be right.

Still, I can see this working. Every year that passes they can put more AI grunts on the map and blur the line more between the two modes. That's a good thing!

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmmmmm. I'd like to think it's because those aren't actually that fun due to skill gap issues. But you may be right.

Still, I can see this working. Every year that passes they can put more AI grunts on the map and blur the line more between the two modes. That's a good thing!

You already have people complaining about the skill gap when getting on Northstar, and TF2 is a game full of movement tech, so it's already kinda arena shooter-y in that regard. It's only gonna get worse as the series becomes more obscure.

Speaking of Attrition mooks, did Northstar ever get full Attrition support? It always was my favorite mode. That and Frontier Defense, which I know it doesn't support yet.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FastestGunAlive posted:

It’s me, I’m the one who’s been praying for tf3 but also I would have never stopped complaining about the apex aspects

The ultimate monkeys paw.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

We mad about this game being canceled or

Cause it wasn’t any Titanfall 3 it seems

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yeah, I'm not really mad about a game they haven't announced getting cancelled, that said I hope EA continues its upward trajectory and makes more Mirror's Edge and Titanfall and C&C classic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I suspect it wasn't coming together, because EA has made it perfectly clear with the Respawn Star Wars game(s) and the latest Dead Space that they are perfectly happy with making "traditional" single player games. Sounds like they had no faith in it. I'm more bummed that we just went back to square zero regarding a new Titanfall-type game.

EA Motive made Star Wars Squadrons, which had both single and multiplayer modes and worked well for what it was. It also did well in sales. So, hopefully we can get a TF3 someday, or someone makes a spiritual sequel.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man Squadrons was so good but at that point they already shot themselves in the foot with all the previous microtransaction BS

I got into it a bit a few years back and it was a blast. Pretty much exactly what I wanted from a game like that. Now the meta is too strong/annoying and playerbase too small

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, Motive is loving killer. Respawn and Motive are a great dev powerhouse duo that should be cultivated carefully and not squandered like EA did with Visceral, Westwood, Bioware, DICE, etc

edit; really wonder how much of EA closing or hobbling these amazing studios and throwing talent to the wind over the years was based on attaining tax write-offs, short term accounting profits, or heading off worker organizing. lol at corpo's shooting themselves in the foot so hard

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 2, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Looking at the wording of the tweet again, a game “set in the apex/titanfall universe”. Probably was just going to be a spin off game for an apex character. Crisis averted.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, at this point I don't really care about tales from the apex rim and apex legends story or whathaveyou, even if it has Titanfall DNA in it. If something like that got canned because Apex profit horizons look a bit more meager than 3 years ago then that's more than enough incentive to go whole hog on Titanfall 3, especially if EA is even partially aware of how big mech games are going to get again after FROM releases ACVI

Vince, read the writing on the wall and make them commit!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
please just make a dang movement shooter that isn't a fuckin br

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Herstory Begins Now posted:

*monkey's paw curls*

"Respawn is proud to announce our new Extraction Shooter"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I would actually prefer it at this point, though holy gently caress I just want to play a game with a respawn mechanic again.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Sorry, can't, only BRs make money now

Also sorry, turns out only a few BRs can actually make money, all the other BRs we made instead of those singleplayer games are also cancelled now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ErrEff posted:

Sorry, can't, only BRs make money now

Also sorry, turns out only a few BRs can actually make money, all the other BRs we made instead of those singleplayer games are also cancelled now

We're trapped in a never-ending MMORPG cycle but with a different genre each time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.eurogamer.net/eas-canned-titanfall-project-reportedly-a-single-player-campaign-inside-apex-legends

"Titanfall Legends." Good god what a cursed timeline we live in where TF would be second billing DLC to a BR farted out afterwards. Hopefully this means they somehow manage to make full fledged TF3 a reality but my guess is the series is over forever. The kids just prefer neon glowstick art direction these days.

quote:

According to Grubb, Titanfall Legends would have seen Apex Legends character Rampart uncovering the chassis of Titanfall 2's BT, leading to players - in the role of Blisk - exploring the game's world with an upgradeable BT. Although the campaign reportedly featured familiar Titanfall staples like wall-running, Apex Legends would have had a heavy presence, with various Legends popping up to give players additional powers :gonk: along the way.

"The thinking there was that more people have played Apex Legends than have ever heard of Titanfall," Grubb explained, "so they were really going to lean into that."

"Titanfall Legends was not Titanfall 3, because in a lot of people's minds I think Titanfall 3 was going to be a new, standalone game with a single-player campaign and a multiplayer, and they could just never do that again after Apex Legends changed the calculus on all of those things".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
drat, yeah, imagine a game with great singleplayer and multiplayer, who could want that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a younger dumber beanpole once thought apex would be the thing which brought more attention to TF. turns out apex killed titanfall harder than EA ever could

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
https://twitter.com/alphaINTEL/status/1621305127599587330?t=LUqbDVUKxnh9DdiwY9p7ng&s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Two posts up, mate

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Blisk. Gross

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Two posts up, mate

I like bullet points ok

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

I like bullet points ok

Spoken like a true pilot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You kill my game, you're betteh. I kill your game, you're betteh.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

It would be bettah than nothing. :smith:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Could have stomached Blisk as the protagonist, I guess, but I really don’t care for the Apex characters. I find too tonally and aesthetically different to mesh well with titanfall.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

But they're Legends, op, Legends.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like the Apex characters more than any Titanfall character besides BT but I agree the tonal dissonance would've been a lot

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

"Inspired by Doom Eternal" Gross

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mordja posted:

drat, yeah, imagine a game with great singleplayer and multiplayer, who could want that?

Titanfall 1 was multiplayer-only and a stupidly huge success, much more than the sequel (TF1 sold 10 million, TF2 couldn't even manage half of that). I'm kinda surprised Microsoft hasn't approached EA and offered to buy the IP off them to make a third game since EA never will (didn't a Respawn dev outright state years ago Titanfall was dead?) and it only existed in the first place since Microsoft provided the funding for development of the first game to be completed. I think the only complication would be how Apex Legends is connected which means it would never happen but it's nice to dream :allears: I'm sure there's a lot of ex-Respawn employees who would love to be part of a new studio focused on Titanfall.

EA's just as dumb with their IPs in general. Need for Speed has been garbage for generations while we still have no new Burnout game. A new SSX would be amazing too but the IP will just gather dust. I think they've lost the FIFA license now (?) and seem to be clinging to the Star Wars license since I think maybe that runs out soon? I vaguely recall people mentioned it during the disastrous Battlefront 2 launch but might be wrong.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Make it also play more like Titanfall 1, yes.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Guillermus posted:

"Inspired by Doom Eternal" Gross

Blisk was gonna do doom executions on the poor mrvns. hosed up if you ask me.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tokubetsu posted:

That would be ideal, the original game was perfect. Heck, I'd settle for a remaster and the few good maps from the sequel ported over.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Tokubetsu posted:

Yes...yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

Titanfall 1 was multiplayer-only and a stupidly huge success, much more than the sequel (TF1 sold 10 million, TF2 couldn't even manage half of that). I'm kinda surprised Microsoft hasn't approached EA and offered to buy the IP off them to make a third game since EA never will (didn't a Respawn dev outright state years ago Titanfall was dead?) and it only existed in the first place since Microsoft provided the funding for development of the first game to be completed. I think the only complication would be how Apex Legends is connected which means it would never happen but it's nice to dream :allears: I'm sure there's a lot of ex-Respawn employees who would love to be part of a new studio focused on Titanfall.

EA's just as dumb with their IPs in general. Need for Speed has been garbage for generations while we still have no new Burnout game. A new SSX would be amazing too but the IP will just gather dust. I think they've lost the FIFA license now (?) and seem to be clinging to the Star Wars license since I think maybe that runs out soon? I vaguely recall people mentioned it during the disastrous Battlefront 2 launch but might be wrong.

TF2 also got skullfucked in competing with a sci-fi CoD and a sci-fi Battlefield