Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Forge and molten hosting are the popular ones and I’m not sure how you beat 4 dollars a month without managing it on a free tier of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a thing called the forge that hosts and I remember it being cheap.

Yeah I pay... some amount of money for The Forge.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

OgreNoah posted:

As someone who absolutely loves Starfinder, everyone being relentlessly negative about its slightly different rules and thus not playing it at all makes me sad.
Even though I wish it was in the PF2e ruleset, I run it and love it. Hell, I have my 13 and 15 year olds playing it on the regular :D I just screw up a lot and have to look things up due to its differences from PF2e. Also starship combat still sucks, I'll definitely put my flag on that hill

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

kirtar posted:

Anyone have a preferred method of cloud hosting Foundry at low cost?

If you are a bit of a nerd you can definitely host for free on Oracle Cloud which blows doors on AWS t2.micro, and is still significantly faster than the Forge. The two tricks are (1) waiting until they open up resources to add new free accounts and (2) understanding Linux a little bit. My Foundry instance on Oracle Cloud hasn't incurred a fee for over 2 years and I run 2-3 games a week

https://foundryvtt.wiki/en/setup/hosting/always-free-oracle

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Syrinxx posted:

Paizo's Facebook person made a pretty snippy reply to a post the other day where someone was wishing for SF in the PF2e ruleset - saying something along the lines of "We have said it before, we're not making a new Starfinder; would you care to let us know what it is you want to see from the current system?" so I'm assuming they are not interested in making a new version. But I can hope :3:

Well once ORC is out nothing stopping people from making that change themselves, probably.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I run mine on a LAMP stack deployed through Lightsail.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

M. Night Skymall posted:

Forge and molten hosting are the popular ones and I’m not sure how you beat 4 dollars a month without managing it on a free tier of something.

I'll probably take a look at those if I can't snag an oracle free slot before I feel like doing things. I might have to go with molten since I suspect that trying to use the beginner box mod will run afoul of one of Forge's many subdivided limitations on storage.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 2, 2023

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kirtar posted:

I'll probably take a look at those if I can't snag an oracle free slot before I feel like doing things. I might have to go with molten since I suspect that trying to use the beginner box mod will run afoul of one of Forge's many subdivided limitations on storage.

I followed the 'Always Free Oracle guide' and as long as you follow the instructions exactly as described and can copy paste things into PowerShell or your terminal of choice, it works just fine.

For me it fell over at the step where it says "make sure to pick JS as your Foundry install type before downloading!" and me, a dumby, downloaded the windows version twice before I worked out why it wasn't unzipping.

So yeah it'll take you about 45 minutes to follow all the steps and check that it's working but once it's done, it's done and you don't need to touch it or pay anything.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

OgreNoah posted:

As someone who absolutely loves Starfinder, everyone being relentlessly negative about its slightly different rules and thus not playing it at all makes me sad.

It's not because the rules are 'slightly different', it's because for most classes they're just boring. There are lots of examples, but the most obvious is the optimal operative, whose course of action every single turn in combat for the entire campaign is to move and trick attack with a single minmaxed skill.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bewilderment posted:

I followed the 'Always Free Oracle guide' and as long as you follow the instructions exactly as described and can copy paste things into PowerShell or your terminal of choice, it works just fine.

For me it fell over at the step where it says "make sure to pick JS as your Foundry install type before downloading!" and me, a dumby, downloaded the windows version twice before I worked out why it wasn't unzipping.

So yeah it'll take you about 45 minutes to follow all the steps and check that it's working but once it's done, it's done and you don't need to touch it or pay anything.

Someone made a batch script that supposedly does all of the shell commands, but I haven't decide how much I trust random Youtuber. At this point I'll just have to wait until a slot is available in any case. How much activity is actually needed to make it so that they don't pop it as being idle? I probably can only run every other week given my course load (unless I literally run the same few things over and over for PFS randoms)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kirtar posted:

Someone made a batch script that supposedly does all of the shell commands, but I haven't decide how much I trust random Youtuber. At this point I'll just have to wait until a slot is available in any case. How much activity is actually needed to make it so that they don't pop it as being idle? I probably can only run every other week given my course load (unless I literally run the same few things over and over for PFS randoms)

I dunno, I haven't touched mine in two weeks and just opened it in a browser right now and it hasn't popped. The point of an always on cloud instance is that it's always on, and the guide walks you through forcing the foundry server to automatically restart whenever it goes down.

I'm surprised you're needing this long to wait for an A1 instance slot, I would've figured that (at least if you're in the USA) if you can't do US East, US west is just as good as far as a VTT is concerned ping-wise.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

If you are a bit of a nerd you can definitely host for free on Oracle Cloud which blows doors on AWS t2.micro, and is still significantly faster than the Forge. The two tricks are (1) waiting until they open up resources to add new free accounts and (2) understanding Linux a little bit. My Foundry instance on Oracle Cloud hasn't incurred a fee for over 2 years and I run 2-3 games a week

I've gone through this a week ago and the hard part was actually registering an Oracle account. I had to switch back to Chrome and turn off my adblock and some other plugins for the account creation process to actually go through. In Edge it would just crap out at the "show a window where you can enter your CC info" stage.

I spent several months paying for Forge about a year ago and back then it was pretty slow and laggy. My current Oracle Free Cloud server is waaaay faster, both for me and my American players.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kirtar posted:

You can install the beginner box on forge no problem at the lowest tier. I've used forge for about a year now at the lowest tier, and it's definitely slow and kind of unimpressive. The user management and added security layer of having to login to forge before you can get to the foundry instance is kind of OK. Using the bazaar to handle modules is also OK, but it's not like foundry's built in module handler is bad. My friend has the $8 tier and the features it adds for user management are kind of nice, as the foundry user management is pretty minimal. The higher tier forge lets you create a link for someone and it automatically logs them in as a particular user in a particular world in foundry. I don't think it's worth 8 dollars though, and I'm starting to have to janitor things as I finish games and make new ones and run out of space(Only in the weird 500 megabyte bucket) at the 4 dollar tier which is really killing the benefit I get from paying someone else to host. I think I'm gonna switch over to Molten when my hosting runs out this month, and it if it sucks I might just switch to self hosting. I've heard molten is much faster though.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Roadie posted:

It's not because the rules are 'slightly different', it's because for most classes they're just boring. There are lots of examples, but the most obvious is the optimal operative, whose course of action every single turn in combat for the entire campaign is to move and trick attack with a single minmaxed skill.

*nervously adjusts collar looking at pages of discussion on cantrips and the Heal spell*

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bewilderment posted:

I dunno, I haven't touched mine in two weeks and just opened it in a browser right now and it hasn't popped. The point of an always on cloud instance is that it's always on, and the guide walks you through forcing the foundry server to automatically restart whenever it goes down.

I'm surprised you're needing this long to wait for an A1 instance slot, I would've figured that (at least if you're in the USA) if you can't do US East, US west is just as good as far as a VTT is concerned ping-wise.

I have it on US West. I'll just try to make the instance each evening and hope it goes through at some point.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kirtar posted:

I have it on US West. I'll just try to make the instance each evening and hope it goes through at some point.
GDI quote is not edit

M. Night Skymall posted:

You can install the beginner box on forge no problem at the lowest tier. I've used forge for about a year now at the lowest tier, and it's definitely slow and kind of unimpressive. The user management and added security layer of having to login to forge before you can get to the foundry instance is kind of OK. Using the bazaar to handle modules is also OK, but it's not like foundry's built in module handler is bad. My friend has the $8 tier and the features it adds for user management are kind of nice, as the foundry user management is pretty minimal. The higher tier forge lets you create a link for someone and it automatically logs them in as a particular user in a particular world in foundry. I don't think it's worth 8 dollars though, and I'm starting to have to janitor things as I finish games and make new ones and run out of space(Only in the weird 500 megabyte bucket) at the 4 dollar tier which is really killing the benefit I get from paying someone else to host. I think I'm gonna switch over to Molten when my hosting runs out this month, and it if it sucks I might just switch to self hosting. I've heard molten is much faster though.
The 500 MB bucket is the one I'm worried about. If it dumps all of the assets from any purchased module in there and you're screwed on that end since the beginner box is 300 MB on its own unless it is smart enough to parse out the assets and have the module still know how to use them. The other concern I had was apparently me forgetting a 0 on the per file size limit.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 2, 2023

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I self-host Foundry with zero issues. I don't need to worry about file-size and storage. It's great. I do need to load up the server on my computer for people to log on, but that's usually fine. I load it up when my players ask me to, or some time before the session.

However you will need to be able to port-forward, which not everyone can. So if that's not a possibility, I hear great things about the Oracle thing people are mentioning. Forge is probably easy, but I hear performance isn't always great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pathfinder bundle (including Foundry) just dropped on Humble. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...utm_medium=link

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Uh oh. Archives of Nethys is down?

I'm running a short (5-7 session) game where the conceit is the party are all goblins hiding out in caves nearby a city and raiding it (sneakily, not directly). A reverse dungeon crawl concept. I want to give players a free archetype choice from a list of say 4-6 that will be thematic to being little shithead goblins. Which archetypes will fit this concept best? Alchemist is a shoe in.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lamuella posted:

Pathfinder bundle (including Foundry) just dropped on Humble. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...utm_medium=link

Of course this would drop mere days after I bought some of the contents. Oh well it's still worthwhile.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm guessing that the timing is very deliberate. Paizo get the first purchase burst for people nabbing the core book, then Humble help them get the aftermarket.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh oh. Archives of Nethys is down?

It's down all the time.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It's down all the time.

Yeah it's a crapshoot on whether or not it actually loads at any given time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

kirtar posted:

Of course this would drop mere days after I bought some of the contents. Oh well it's still worthwhile.

Yeah I literally just bought the Abomination Vaults AP for Foundry at full price on Monday. Oh well, I thought it was a good deal at full price anyway.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I literally just bought the Abomination Vaults AP for Foundry at full price on Monday. Oh well, I thought it was a good deal at full price anyway.

I would have been in this same situation if our gaming group didn't miss a bunch of games over the holidays. We are finishing Alkenstar this Sunday and restarting AV with the premium module once that is finished.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One of the other things that can make bundles like this worthwhile is that if you own a book on Paizo's website and your account is linked to your Roll20 account, you get a deep discount on the book on roll20. So if you own, say, the Lost Omens World Guide on Paizo the price on Roll20 goes from $36 to $13

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Lamuella posted:

i was planning to wait to buy vaults next month, so i didn't get hosed there at least

...well okay maybe a little hosed, because even if beginner's box VTT isn't there, its cheaper if you have the original. so maybe a smidge salty i bought that yesterday lmao

edit: vvv yeah ultimately the scratch i save on AV more than makes up for it, just an Aw Dang

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 2, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Does anyone know if you setup S3 with Foundry, can you use it to hold the content of the modules you install? I've heard the PF2E official modules (like AV, the token packs, etc...) can be quite large, ideally that content would all get moved to S3.

I am setup such that I could easily self-host with a reverse proxy. But if ALL the graphics and such were being uploaded from me multiple times to each client that might get slow, my upload is decent but not crazy, especially with multiple people connecting at once.

Skyelan posted:

i was planning to wait to buy vaults next month, so i didn't get hosed there at least

...well okay maybe a little hosed, because even if beginner's box VTT isn't there, its cheaper if you have the original. so maybe a smidge salty i bought that yesterday lmao

Ouch, I got pretty hosed on the core rule book, GMG, and Secrets of Magic that I bought two weeks ago, since I'm planning on buying the Foundry VTT version of AV anyway. Still, I was prepared to pay like $60 for AV, and I don't mind having the bestiaries to look through.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 2, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Lamuella posted:

I'm not reading this as including the Foundry VTTT software? Just the Foundry VTTT version of the Abomination Vaults AP?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

boxen posted:

I'm not reading this as including the Foundry VTTT software? Just the Foundry VTTT version of the Abomination Vaults AP?

apologies, misspoke there. Yes, Foundry support for Abomination Vaults, not a copy of Foundry.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I checked my Humble Library and whoops the last two Pathfinder bundles I paid for I didn't actually redeem on Paizo's site! And one of them had this:

Note: Redeem code by December 10th, 2021.

Thankfully those codes still worked, phew.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

boxen posted:

Right, you still have to buy Foundry as a separate purchase.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I'm glad that I bought so much LEGO recently that I was able to hold off buying a bunch of TTRPG PDFs for a couple weeks at full price. Now all the PDFs are mine!

An unrelated follow-up, what advice would any of you give to someone who is basically starting at zero with TTRPGs but thinks Pathfinder looks like something that would be super fun to GM and/or play and now has a bunch of the resources needed to make that happen?

Two extra bits of information:
1) I've played ~4 one-shot sessions of D&D in my life
2) I have a handle on the basic rules of PF2e and have run some basic encounters on paper by myself to see the rules in motion (which was surprisingly stressful and involved a lot of rereading rules and looking up actions/effects/etc...)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

OgreNoah posted:

I have tried playing Starfinder, and I love the setting, but I can't help feeling like I've "graduated" from D&D 3.5/PF 1e style. I think there's a lot of jank with 3.x games, and sometimes jank is really fun. It's a subjective thing for me, though, and it's hard to go back to 3.x jank when I can play PF 2e or something a bit more refined.

Syrinxx posted:

This beats the pants off Azure or AWS. I was running a foundry server on Azure and it was running me like $30-40 a month. AWS was like $20. I have to check out Oracle Cloud as an option.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

XenoCrab posted:

I'm glad that I bought so much LEGO recently that I was able to hold off buying a bunch of TTRPG PDFs for a couple weeks at full price. Now all the PDFs are mine!

An unrelated follow-up, what advice would any of you give to someone who is basically starting at zero with TTRPGs but thinks Pathfinder looks like something that would be super fun to GM and/or play and now has a bunch of the resources needed to make that happen?

2) I have a handle on the basic rules of PF2e and have run some basic encounters on paper by myself to see the rules in motion (which was surprisingly stressful and involved a lot of rereading rules and looking up actions/effects/etc...)

Beginner Box. Playing solo is fine, but playing with others increases the complexity a lot.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

XenoCrab posted:

As someone who is about to start GMing a Pathfinder campaign for the first time, I would say start small. Something to intro you and your players to the rules, the way the game works, etc. In the bundle you just bought there is a small one-shot adventure called Little Trouble In Big Absalom. It has predefined characters (a bunch of kobolds), so your players don't have to worry about creating a character first time out, it all happens on a couple of maps (and if you have the PDF you can print the maps out iirc), and it's short enough to take place across one or two sessions. I played it with a d&d group and they had a blast trying something a bit different even as we were all working out the rules.

Alternatively, the Beginner Box in the bundle is pretty much written exactly to be the sort of intro you're talking about.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

XenoCrab posted:

TBH I think PF2e might be a bit much for a newbie GM. My personal stumbling block with it was that while the basic mechanics are pretty logical and functional, there is like a special rule and subsystem for everything, including many things I'd prefer to just do a simple ruling on.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god drat i just saw the abomination vaults VTT page at https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-abomination-vaults

gently caress, i need to get my VTT setup for in person play, that'll make things so good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megazver posted:

TBH I think PF2e might be a bit much for a newbie GM. My personal stumbling block with it was that while the basic mechanics are pretty logical and functional, there is like a special rule and subsystem for everything, including many things I'd prefer to just do a simple ruling on.

Eh, pf2e was the first system I GM'd and it was fine. It definitely helps if the other players have read up a bit on the rules too. It doesn't really matter at all if you don't get things exactly right the first session out, as you play you'll get more comfortable and have a better handle on things. If you want to ignore a chunk of rules and just handle it more simply, there is zero reason you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's the first system I GMed as well, and it's been fine for us. I did play as a player for a year or so first, but I'm hardly a fully authoritative expert. If you start out with I've of the first party adventure modules, you'll be totally fine imo.