Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think hi fi rush let's you turn off that component almost entirely, didn't try it but seemed like they tried to accommodate anyone who can't keep a beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hell yeah

Be the burglar in The Sims, chase some kid around as a goomba in Mario, rush the field as a streaker in Madden

Are you all forgetting that this is the plot of 2009 Cinematic Masterpiece "Gamer" starring Gerard Butler, Michael C Hall, and Ludacris?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I have preordered a PSVR2 and I am excited to have it in just four weeks! Though I am sad that Switchback has been delayed because Rush of Blood on PSVR1 was so good.

I am also looking forward to buying Rez for the fifth time (Dreamcast, PS2, 360, PSVR1) but in my defence I have never spent more than £10 on any iteration.

Blood & Truth on PSVR1 was in my top 5 games of last gen so I hope they do a remaster.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

MrQwerty posted:

It's called PO'ed, you fight a bunch of walking asses with a frying pan and it sucks

Best FPS of the post-Doom generation.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Hi-Fi Rush rules although this is not an unpopular opinion!!!

Hi-Fi Rush absolutely rules, what a breath of fresh air that game felt like. It was a PS2 throwback in all the right ways.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why would you put a rhythm component in a game? Neckbeards got no rhythm.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Ever heard of Batman Arkham Asylum? That’s a secret rhythm game.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the Neo Geo looks like such a cool system but there's no way can I afford to get into that

i like the look of the PC98 games too but they're all hentai. which isn't my thing

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shame about Hi-fi rush having all the mandatory AAA baggage. It's not a good game. Rad world building though.

edit: I am just so sick of games burying the core game play behind opening cutscene, and dumb tutorial for people who have never played a video game before. I also didn't appreciate the filler platforming. That combat looks like it could be interesting but it doesn't matter if that's just 20% of the game.

edit 2: To be clear I didn't ever make it to Quality Assurance. I just said gently caress it after some 2d platforming.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 2, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Actually crypt of the necrodancer is good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

QuarkJets posted:

Actually crypt of the necrodancer is good

There are no good games.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
All games are good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

You may not have met any DDR Kids in school but that's because they all spent 100% of their free time playing DDR and while I don't know if many of them really had actual physical neckbeards, they were definitely neckbeards on a type of spiritual level.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I've seen multiple videos of fedoralords absolutely tearing it up on the dance pad, anime makes the impossible possible I guess

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
My friends all got sooo into DDR and its knockoffs during that whole fad and I resented them for it because my groove is weak and rhythm nonexistent.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Shame about Hi-fi rush having all the mandatory AAA baggage. It's not a good game. Rad world building though.

edit: I am just so sick of games burying the core game play behind opening cutscene, dumb tutorial for people who have never played a video game before. I also didn't appreciate the filler platforming. That combat looks like it could be interesting but it doesn't matter if that's just 20% of the game.

This poster gets it. What a waste of an amazing gameplay mechanic imo

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i was really into DDR and started getting into competitions but stopped because I was starting to see the same kids at the arcades a lot and I didn't really like them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't get why the platforming sections weren't rhythm based too? I end up holding the beat with dashes anyway just seems faster. I think there's a whole Rayman game of rhythm based platforming, expected that sort of thing. Breaks up the flow to have a walking section with hidden crannies to explore between every fight, and all the upgrade items and stuff are hidden in side paths so even more time not spent doing the actual rhythm stuff.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The entire world of hifi rush works on a musical beat. Platforms and dangers work on full measures or half measures. Dashing on the beat speeds everything up, as a reward for understanding and staying on the beat.

The tutorial takes less than 10 minutes and if you can't keep a basic 4/4 beat that doesn't change for 20+ minutes then gently caress you imo, and learn basic time keeping. There's not even half beats or syncopation to keep to.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

edit: I am just so sick of games burying the core game play behind opening cutscene, and dumb tutorial for people who have never played a video game before. I also didn't appreciate the filler platforming. That combat looks like it could be interesting but it doesn't matter if that's just 20% of the game.

To be clear I stopped at the entrance to quality assurance. I just said gently caress it after some 2d platforming.

satanic splash-back posted:

The entire world of hifi rush works on a musical beat. Platforms and dangers work on full measures or half measures. Dashing on the beat speeds everything up, as a reward for understanding and staying on the beat.

The tutorial takes less than 10 minutes and if you can't keep a basic 4/4 beat that doesn't change for 20+ minutes then gently caress you imo, and learn basic time keeping. There's not even half beats or syncopation to keep to.

It's a 5 minute tutorial, in 20ish minutes. So yeah you're wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF4ZUBrrN1U&t=1445s.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 2, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

You may not have met any DDR Kids in school but that's because they all spent 100% of their free time playing DDR and while I don't know if many of them really had actual physical neckbeards, they were definitely neckbeards on a type of spiritual level.

I think all of the jowl-jostling movement of ddr causes facial hair to vibrate out, I never saw a DDR person who had any more than the thinnest wispiest facial hair. So neckbeard in spirit only

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the game's protagonist is the loving worst

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

QuarkJets posted:

I think all of the jowl-jostling movement of ddr causes facial hair to vibrate out, I never saw a DDR person who had any more than the thinnest wispiest facial hair. So neckbeard in spirit only

I knew a DDR neckbeard. Silk shirt, too.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

To be clear I stopped at the entrance to quality assurance. I just said gently caress it after some 2d platforming.

It's a 5 minute tutorial, in 20ish minutes. So yeah you're wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF4ZUBrrN1U&t=1445s.

You're willfully obtuse and overly dumb. Who times tutorials to a game that has the same loving controls as a ps2 game from the mid 2000s on a forum for old people? You aren't earning points with anyone.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 2, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Getting mad because a game has a tutorial is goofy as hell. Not everyone has been playing games for 25 years and if your time was that precious you wouldn't be spending it playing a video game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It only sucks if the tutorial is mandatory and full of stupid bullshit like telling you how to look around with your mouse

Portal 2 is an exception, its mandatory "tutorial" was excellent because it's literally just a gag where the player is the butt of the joke

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hi-Fi Rush is the next Twitter darling game that's gonna be big for like, all of two weeks so people can wack off about how it's "Not like the other AAA" games and make really insane, delusional, utterly ignorant claims about what game developers and publishers should be doing regarding marketing and monetization of a game and then they'll all forget about it and the game will sell good numbers but basically have the sales drop off a sheer cliff afterwards.

This happens like basically every month, Stray is a big example of this poo poo, some totally serviceable game that isn't terribly spectacular gets sucked off via word of mouth and people realize it has no longevity to it.

And that's fine, nothing wrong with a game that just comes and goes, but the fact of the matter is that these games are basically always forgettable outside the context of whatever stunt marketing they're doing. For Stray it was cats (like that was basically the entire draw lol), for this game it was being shadow dropped, sold at a $30 price point, and having a somewhat neat gimmick. But these games are basically more of a discussion point than anything that actually has any sort of real impact.

poo poo that actually blows the medium out of the water and does something utterly unforgettable while doing stuff with game mechanics that no other game has done before like Return of the Obra Dinn and Pathologic 2 don't get this kind of attention because they're not palatable enough for a large audience to suck off, they have no glamor or glitz, no cats or big bright graphics with the typical genre mashup gimmick to get people excited for them, so they basically don't sell poo poo or get this type of attention despite them actually being innovative and raising questions about what the majority of developers should be doing to move the medium forward.

Social media marketing has basically suffused people's skulls and that's what gaming discourse is now, it's people marketing games for the companies, and the companies just finding the right button to push so the community will do all the work for them. Modern day "word of mouth" is utterly artificial because it's beyond manipulated. Hi-Fi Rush's "no marketing" gimmick was outright bullshit because within a few minutes of release there were immediately mad obvious plugs for it everywhere lol.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i dunno man i haven't played it but it looks pretty fun to me

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

don't buy or play AAA games

don't discuss video games seriously, definitely don't discuss the industry seriously

down with monetization, down with games that are never finished, down with Paradox style 10 years of lovely overpriced DLC

make a game, fix the major bugs, ship it, patch it a few times, make another game, never pay attention to twitter while doing any of this

this would be a beautiful world if people just shut the gently caress up more

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You're willfully obtuse and overly dumb. Who times tutorials to a game that has the same loving controls as a ps2 game from the mid 2000s on a forum for old people? You aren't earning points with anyone.

Nobody times a tutorial ( the people making it might, it seems like it'd be important to consider how long it takes to start getting to the gameplay) but they can easily look it up. Like I did. I know I know research isn't as important as a skill as keeping a beat. Uh yes the controls are easy that's kind of the issue. Like I don't need or want games teaching me how to crouch yet again. The actual rhythm mechanics take like 5 minutes to teach probably less.

There's not even half beats or syncopation to keep to.

You aren't earning points with anyone.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Getting mad because a game has a tutorial is goofy as hell. Not everyone has been playing games for 25 years and if your time was that precious you wouldn't be spending it playing a video game.

It's not that it has a tutorial it's that it has layers of garbage covering the actual interesting game play mechanics. Tutorials, cutscenes, mediocre platforming, WHOA SIGN ME UP FOR THIS MASTERPIECE OF A GAMING!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

don't buy or play AAA games

don't discuss video games seriously, definitely don't discuss the industry seriously

down with monetization, down with games that are never finished, down with Paradox style 10 years of lovely overpriced DLC

make a game, fix the major bugs, ship it, patch it a few times, make another game, never pay attention to twitter while doing any of this

this would be a beautiful world if people just shut the gently caress up more

But but I got this OLED and it was on xbox pc pass thingy.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 2, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

i dunno man i haven't played it but it looks pretty fun to me

It's not so much about the game but how gamers seem to persistently think that they're control over the entire narrative of a game's marketing and release strategy instead of like, the fact that they're massively, obviously being manipulated and somehow coming out the other side oblivious to this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hi-Fi Rush is the next Twitter darling game that's gonna be big for like, all of two weeks so people can wack off about how it's "Not like the other AAA" games and make really insane, delusional, utterly ignorant claims about what game developers and publishers should be doing regarding marketing and monetization of a game and then they'll all forget about it and the game will sell good numbers but basically have the sales drop off a sheer cliff afterwards.

This happens like basically every month, Stray is a big example of this poo poo, some totally serviceable game that isn't terribly spectacular gets sucked off via word of mouth and people realize it has no longevity to it.

And that's fine, nothing wrong with a game that just comes and goes, but the fact of the matter is that these games are basically always forgettable outside the context of whatever stunt marketing they're doing. For Stray it was cats (like that was basically the entire draw lol), for this game it was being shadow dropped, sold at a $30 price point, and having a somewhat neat gimmick. But these games are basically more of a discussion point than anything that actually has any sort of real impact.

poo poo that actually blows the medium out of the water and does something utterly unforgettable while doing stuff with game mechanics that no other game has done before like Return of the Obra Dinn and Pathologic 2 don't get this kind of attention because they're not palatable enough for a large audience to suck off, they have no glamor or glitz, no cats or big bright graphics with the typical genre mashup gimmick to get people excited for them, so they basically don't sell poo poo or get this type of attention despite them actually being innovative and raising questions about what the majority of developers should be doing to move the medium forward.

Social media marketing has basically suffused people's skulls and that's what gaming discourse is now, it's people marketing games for the companies, and the companies just finding the right button to push so the community will do all the work for them. Modern day "word of mouth" is utterly artificial because it's beyond manipulated. Hi-Fi Rush's "no marketing" gimmick was outright bullshit because within a few minutes of release there were immediately mad obvious plugs for it everywhere lol.

Huh? People were talking about Obra Dinn all over the place. I got it because I heard of it word of mouth so many times.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh? People were talking about Obra Dinn all over the place. I got it because I heard of it word of mouth so many times.

Yeah, but it didn't have a release window artificially engineered "word of mouth" campaign like those other two games. The word of mouth Return of the Obra Dinn got was extremely organic because Pope doesn't engage in that type of poo poo, and people rightfully still remember Obra Dinn to this day because it's an experience that sticks with you as a great game, instead of a bright bulb of hype burning brightly as long as the social media campaign lasts and then just fizzles out besides an "Oh yeah that game was pretty alright." general opinion a few months later. The scope of their marketing is greater than their actual quality or impact. That's the point. Our entire discourse surrounding games in public forums like Twitter is based on outrageous hyperbole and excuses for people to have an opportunity to whine about AAA companies or some other corny poo poo again while basically doing exactly the type of poo poo they complain about where some ok quality product is marketed to success.

There's a reason why "indiegames are great, AAA games have no heart or soul" is such a persistent and effective way to sell indie games, because it offers people a chance to feel elitist and superior over their purchase. That's one of the ways social media marketing really works over say, straight up promotions or generic ad campaigns, they give people the chance to feel like they actually meaningfully exist and contribute to that marketing by having an opinion that "matters." It's basically just manipulating gamers by catering to their worst tendencies.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Generally speaking a game has to kind of be designed around being a Twitter Indie Darling and appeal to Zoomers to hit that level of temporary success. Stray worked because Twitter loves cats and Zoomers love cats and they grew up watching WALL-E and they think it's cute to be a cat in a post-human robot world, and critically I think they are largely kind of rejective of "games", meaning like crunchy gamey mechanics (though that seems to be gaining popularity with D&D, D&D is also leaning toward simplicity in a lot of ways these days to capitalize on the Zoomer audience). The younger generations are looking at video games more as digital toys or as "experiences" (like watching a movie or going to a museum - one-time things of novelty) than as what we traditionally think of as "games" (and looking at D&D more as 'roleplaying' than 'a roleplaying game', and gravitating towards tabletop games about storytelling over mechanics).

So a game like Obra Dinn, as cool as it is and as deserving of praise as it is, doesn't really fit the "digital toy" mold and is a bit too "gamey" and "problem-solvey" to be a neat quick fun "experience", so it doesn't really have the capability of catching the attention of the non-gamer Terminally Online Gen Z crowd. That crowd is also the same one that will place glowing meme-y positive reviews on Steam or whatever, which is how a game like Stray ends up having 103,500 Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam. Because to the crowd that it's aimed at, "games" aren't a thing that they do but this one specific game Stray was a neat experience that they had once - they're not reviewing it in the context of whether it's a good "game", they're reviewing it in the context of whether they thought the cat was cute. Compared to a game like Obra Dinn which has 17,000 Overwhelmingly Positive reviews, or to a game that's an excellent game but more traditionally gamey which is guaranteed to not have Overwhelmingly Positive reviews even if it is objectively a far superior "Game" to stray, because the people who leave reviews for it are grognards who have been playing videogames for a decade or more and are comparing it to literally hundreds or thousands of other games, and being critical about it because to them a game needs to be more than a short one-time experience to have value.

Note: I have no idea how Hi-Fi Rush fits into this because I am so uninterested in rhythm games that I have not watched any trailers or viewed the steam page before now, but looking at it right now, the reviews are sure enough full of meme reviews instead of people critically reviewing a video-game. ASCII art, Positive reviews for novelty things like "releasing the same day it was announced", one-sentence reviews declaring it the best game of all time, reviews that just say "play the game", etc.

e: Basically what I'm saying is that children and teenagers have ruined the internet and taken it over for themselves. We are the ones getting old and becoming irrelevant :smith:

e2: And also yeah the social media social engineering viral marketing bullshit is absolutely part of being targeted at Zoomers. They love any sentence they read online that makes them feel that dopamine hit because social media has conditioned them to see the internet and computers as buttons you press to release dopamine, which probably feeds in to why that's what they want out of video games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 2, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elite Beat Agents is good. Actual good cut scenes too. So yeah rhythm games can be good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 2, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Generally speaking a game has to kind of be designed around being a Twitter Indie Darling and appeal to Zoomers to hit that level of temporary success. Stray worked because Twitter loves cats and Zoomers love cats and they grew up watching WALL-E and they think it's cute to be a cat in a post-human robot world, and critically I think they are largely kind of rejective of "games", meaning like crunchy gamey mechanics (though that seems to be gaining popularity with D&D, D&D is also leaning toward simplicity in a lot of ways these days to capitalize on the Zoomer audience). The younger generations are looking at video games more as digital toys or as "experiences" (like watching a movie or going to a museum - one-time things of novelty) than as what we traditionally think of as "games" (and looking at D&D more as 'roleplaying' than 'a roleplaying game', and gravitating towards tabletop games about storytelling over mechanics).

So a game like Obra Dinn, as cool as it is and as deserving of praise as it is, doesn't really fit the "digital toy" mold and is a bit too "gamey" and "problem-solvey" to be a neat quick fun "experience", so it doesn't really have the capability of catching the attention of the non-gamer Terminally Online Gen Z crowd. That crowd is also the same one that will place glowing meme-y positive reviews on Steam or whatever, which is how a game like Stray ends up having 103,500 Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam. Because to the crowd that it's aimed at, "games" aren't a thing that they do but this one specific game Stray was a neat experience that they had once - they're not reviewing it in the context of whether it's a good "game", they're reviewing it in the context of whether they thought the cat was cute. Compared to a game like Obra Dinn which has 17,000 Overwhelmingly Positive reviews, or to a game that's an excellent game but more traditionally gamey which is guaranteed to not have Overwhelmingly Positive reviews even if it is objectively a far superior "Game" to stray, because the people who leave reviews for it are grognards who have been playing videogames for a decade or more and are comparing it to literally hundreds or thousands of other games, and being critical about it because to them a game needs to be more than a short one-time experience to have value.

Note: I have no idea how Hi-Fi Rush fits into this because I am so uninterested in rhythm games that I have not watched any trailers or viewed the steam page before now, but looking at it right now, the reviews are sure enough full of meme reviews instead of people critically reviewing a video-game. ASCII art, Positive reviews for novelty things like "releasing the same day it was announced", one-sentence reviews declaring it the best game of all time, reviews that just say "play the game", etc.

e: Basically what I'm saying is that children and teenagers have ruined the internet and taken it over for themselves. We are the ones getting old and becoming irrelevant :smith:

e2: And also yeah the social media social engineering viral marketing bullshit is absolutely part of being targeted at Zoomers. They love any sentence they read online that makes them feel that dopamine hit because social media has conditioned them to see the internet and computers as buttons you press to release dopamine, which probably feeds in to why that's what they want out of video games.

Gaming as a product designed to do exactly what the consumer wants has basically ruined its potential as an art form, and the fact that games that resist that trend are essentially just cursory successes has made it an entirely entrenched trajectory.
I mean, a very large proportion of our most successful titles these days are fundamentally focus grouped. How many gamers will tell you that they hate the idea of a company hiring some randos to come in and focus group their game, but will then do that exact same poo poo by buying an EA game or making demands of developers for features they specifically want?

Gamers want to be a part of the design process, and I think that expectation is extremely suck-rear end and it's a shame that products that actively attempt to reject expectations and what the public wants are not being seen as the maverick works they should be and are instead inundated with people getting angry at it not doing what they want it to do like it's some defective Windex or something.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think one of the biggest ways this has manifested was the extreme negative reaction to "walking simulators" that legitimately wanted to do something other than be extremely gamey experiences with reward mechanics to encourage people to play, and instead opted to use interactivity to make art installations that people could partake in at home.
Even extremely massive, popular games like Death Stranding had this reaction - gamers are an astonishingly uncreative breed and for the most part don't actually want to be challenged.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think you're wrong in the context of AAA games, but there is at least a space in indie games to create games as a type of art and still appeal to the Twitter/Gen Z crowd. Things like for example Undertale - I've never played it and I know little about it but I know it captivated a whole lot of people while being pretty much the exact opposite of a Focus Group product. But I think success in that realm is largely going to come from devs viewing their games not as "games" but as digital toys (think something that innovates the way Minecraft did: there's nothing spectacular about it as a "game" but it was a type of digital toy that had never existed before) or literally just as art or creative expression, like in the case of Undertale - where the whole game is built from the ground up on the idea of being relevant beyond its actual gamey-ness.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Like an idea I've had for a long while now is to make a game that is essentially a living diorama of a wacky cartoon alien city on a strange planet. Very little "game" to it, you just walk around and talk to the inhabitants and learn about their lives and their days. Maybe you can help them make a decision which makes them go to a different location and that makes them participate in an event involving a different character at that location, or you do a favor so they give you an item and you can give that item to someone else for a unique conversation or event - you just poke at the NPCs and talk to them and different fun or novel reactions happen based on when you talked to them or what you said. No "goal" or objective, no leveling up, no quest journal - just a diorama that you can walk around in and interact with.

I'm not going to sit here and assume that I would make some Twitter Indie Darling smash hit if I made this game but it's the exact kind of digital toy or digital "experience" that I think an auteur could create meaningful art in, or that could be an overwhelming success at the right price point despite not doing much of anything at all as a game and not being built as an addictive focus group product. It's pretty much a whole season of a cartoon or issue of a graphic novel rolled into one vaguely interactive package.

e: But it is entirely built around the concept of clicking a button and getting a dopamine rush out of seeing something novel happen.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Like an idea I've had for a long while now is to make a game that is essentially a living diorama of a wacky cartoon alien city on a strange planet. Very little "game" to it, you just walk around and talk to the inhabitants and learn about their lives and their days. Maybe you can help them make a decision which makes them go to a different location and that makes them participate in an event involving a different character at that location, or you do a favor so they give you an item and you can give that item to someone else for a unique conversation or event - you just poke at the NPCs and talk to them and different fun or novel reactions happen based on when you talked to them or what you said. No "goal" or objective, no leveling up, no quest journal - just a diorama that you can walk around in and interact with.

I'm not going to sit here and assume that I would make some Twitter Indie Darling smash hit if I made this game but it's the exact kind of digital toy or digital "experience" that I think an auteur could create meaningful art in, or that could be an overwhelming success at the right price point despite not doing much of anything at all as a game and not being built as an addictive focus group product. It's pretty much a whole season of a cartoon rolled into one interactive package.

No lootbox? No battlepass? No daily rewards? The stockholders will be displeased. We can't displease them, you're fired.