Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Leathal posted:

Wow. That wording doesn’t read like this is an Overwatch -> Overwatch 2 situation - it sounds like they were fighting the suits to keep it running and eventually lost.

Echo Arena was f2p with paid cosmetics right? Which would imply that, despite the large playerbase, they couldn’t even sell enough skins to stave off the bean counters.

Gonna laugh real hard when Zuck rebrands back to Facebook and pretends he’s never heard of VR

https://boz.com/articles/focus

Don't worry, Boz knows that the root of the issue is lack of focus on their core competencies (because they were led astray by listening to their employees too much apparently), so they're going to shoot their most successful category, video games, in the head, and simultaneously make anyone interested in investing any time or effort in any of their ecosystems skittish because they're willing to dumpster even things that appears successful

Wait a minute, none of that sounds like it's going to solve the problems at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Leathal posted:

Wow. That wording doesn’t read like this is an Overwatch -> Overwatch 2 situation - it sounds like they were fighting the suits to keep it running and eventually lost.

Echo Arena was f2p with paid cosmetics right? Which would imply that, despite the large playerbase, they couldn’t even sell enough skins to stave off the bean counters.

Yeah, remember a few months back I think during a financial report when they said most people with Quests are just playing F2P games and not actually spending money on the platform.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They had bots in Echo Arena right? No excuse to leave it as an offline game, if they are going to drop support and the servers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And another 'Meta is so great with its games!' news, Onward will drop Quest 1 support, like Pop One already did:

https://www.downpourinteractive.com/devblog.html

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

And another 'Meta is so great with its games!' news, Onward will drop Quest 1 support, like Pop One already did:

https://www.downpourinteractive.com/devblog.html

Dropping Quest 1 support isn't really the same thing, if anything it's doing nothing but holding back Quest 2 development at this point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not a fan of moves like that. If you want to support better hardware, you make a new game for this hardware and release it only on it. So sure, make Onwards 2 only for Q2, or Q3.
But you don't change an already released and already bought game that worked for X and make it so it doesn't work anymore.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

mega dy posted:

How do you make Skyrim VR not suck?

I spent like 10 hours configuring it and getting all the mods to make it not suck and it sucked real hard. Just a terrible experience.

You need to identify the parts that suck and either address or come to terms with them individually

TheKnife fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 1, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm not a fan of moves like that. If you want to support better hardware, you make a new game for this hardware and release it only on it. So sure, make Onwards 2 only for Q2, or Q3.
But you don't change an already released and already bought game that worked for X and make it so it doesn't work anymore.

Yeah this is a very different thing, this isn't a free to play game dropping support, this is a game people have paid money for and are now being told they won't be able to play any more. Their FAQ page straight up says nope, you can't play this game you paid money for past this date. That's a lovely thing to do and another thing that's going to damage people's long term confidence in VR when they're told they need to upgrade their device or lose stuff they've paid for. Especially when their device is less than 4 years old in a time when the expected lifespan of a games console is around 6-10 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Ah my bad, I thought it was another service game.

Yeah, gently caress that then.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

How much battery life are you getting out of them?

I thought about buying those, but I play long rear end sessions of PCVR games.

I use them with a Quest 2 with a battery strap and I've never had them get below like half before the headset dies. I think they should be good for about a whole day?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Estimates put it at about 6.5 hours or so, still debating. Looks good though.

For Skyrim, I used Nalins VR pack, which had some outdated mods but was a great modpack to build on.
I added a bunch but overall, I enjoyed my Skyrim VR game.
I mean, i'm still not done, but is anyone ever done with a Bethesda game?

https://next.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/collections/j3epem

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 1, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Remember when Sega and Nintendo tried to throw modems and keyboards onto their hardware in the 80s? Remember when Commodore had delusions of their toy computers being used for business? The companies that survived came to their loving senses.

Meta, you are a video game company. The Quest is for playing video games. One day it could be more, but when your primary method of input has dual sticks and ABXY buttons then hmm maybe it isn't for spreadsheets.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Really sad about Echo VR, I don't even play it but just running through the tutorial is one of the coolest experiences I've ever had in VR and it's always been my immediate go-to for showing others how amazing VR can be. This is bad!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TIP posted:

the fact it isn't happening until august and there's a meta gaming showcase and a quest 3 coming up makes me really hope that they're planning to announce an awesome echo 2 built for quest 2/3

even then it's lame to kill the original, but at least there would be a replacement

I'm so incredibly ready to be disappointed though :(

Honestly if it were any other company in the world I'd assume it was a no brainer that this was exactly what was happening but God knows with this lot at this point.

I'm definitely reading into the announcement that the developers are very unhappy with it. Not to make assumptions, but I deal with employee grievances professionally, you start to notice vibes lol

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Any goon impressions on the Pico 4? I've got a capable graphics card for PC connectivity for the first time in a while so was considering dipping my toes into the VR game.

I figured it was a good way to dodge the Meta ecosystem but then I learned it's owned by Bytedance/Tiktok, so...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's a good headset, and all they ask when you sign up is an email and date of birth. No real name requirement and no more info than you'd enter for any other games platform. Tiktok is built into the video app but there's no requirement to sign up for or even log in with a Tiktok account. If you're specifically getting it for PC stuff I think it's a better headset than the Quest 2 just because it's more comfortable out of the box and pancake lenses rule.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Awesome, thanks. I'm not opposed to Tiktok as an entity as much as I'd prefer to keep the company that owns it at arms' length, so thanks for clearing that up.

My partner would potentially want to use it standalone, but I've seen some gripes about the range of what's on the store. I fully expect her to play 3-4 minutes of Beat Saber before coming down with a migraine and never touching it again, but failing that... anyone know what the store is like?

I see some mixed reviews about PC connectivity via cables. Not sure if I'm reading the right things since the terminology is a bit opaque/mixed up at times. Does it do PCVR via Wifi or cable?

Also, anything worth getting with it? I see it has a glasses spacer included.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Turin Turambar posted:

this is the issue with the modern day lovely "our one game will be supported infinitely", sure it's great to get a ton of new content for free, but when this poo poo happens or they can't do cooler stuff because they're stuck to the original codebase and instead just keep churning out samey content, poo poo sucks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Teratrain posted:

Awesome, thanks. I'm not opposed to Tiktok as an entity as much as I'd prefer to keep the company that owns it at arms' length, so thanks for clearing that up.

My partner would potentially want to use it standalone, but I've seen some gripes about the range of what's on the store. I fully expect her to play 3-4 minutes of Beat Saber before coming down with a migraine and never touching it again, but failing that... anyone know what the store is like?

I see some mixed reviews about PC connectivity via cables. Not sure if I'm reading the right things since the terminology is a bit opaque/mixed up at times. Does it do PCVR via Wifi or cable?

Also, anything worth getting with it? I see it has a glasses spacer included.

The standalone store isn't amazing, but a decent number of the standalone standards are on there, most notably Walkabout Mini Golf. No Beat Saber or other Facebook owned games obviously but there's stuff to play on there. Pico Link has options for both cable and wireless PC connections, but I'd still recommend using Virtual Desktop unless everything you want to play is on Steam. The only thing I'd say consider getting is a pair of USB-C headphones because its a device released in 2022 and therefore doesn't have a headphone jack, there's no reason for anything else though. It's pretty much how you'd want it out the box, even has a little rubber light blocker to put on if your nose doesn't block enough light by itself.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't this is the first new of HP exiting VR, but well
https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1620729001152237569?cxt=HHwWgsDS7ZCc_v0sAAAA

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I would bet there will be a few more XR cuts as every dumb American tech company channels Neutron Jack for their imaginary recession

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 1, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://news.mit.edu/2023/vertical-stacked-color-microscopic-leds-0201

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I want to augment my reality with a floating browser window I can use to watch YouTube while I do the washing up.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Hyperlynx posted:

I want to augment my reality with a floating browser window I can use to watch YouTube while I do the washing up.

I am cynical and can't picture this ending any way but being spammed by pop-up ads in the shower.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-01/meta-wins-court-nod-to-buy-virtual-reality-startup-in-loss-for-lina-khan-s-ftc
Meta can buy the Supernatural app.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

just in time to shut down the servers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You can kinda see why, even just off if they're not gonna evolve past WMR alone. That tech is now VERY dead and unsupported.

You'd think with talking to Valve though that lighthouse tracking would've entered the discussion at some point.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bremen posted:

I am cynical and can't picture this ending any way but being spammed by pop-up ads in the shower.

I didn't mean permanently, god no. I just meant in response to "what's the point in all these AR glasses?"

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Hi Fi Rush looks really good in Virtual Desktop with the stereoscopic Reshade plugin

https://youtu.be/-VVOrK3d9mk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Meta are probably hosed if anything from this sees the light of day.

Samsung, Google, and Qualcomm are working on a standardized Mixed Reality platform.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Meta are probably hosed if anything from this sees the light of day.

Samsung, Google, and Qualcomm are working on a standardized Mixed Reality platform.

it will be some horseshit where you have to buy a 1500 dollar Samsung phone and clip it into a headset thing like gear vr was, because Samsung's primary business is the movement of mobile phones.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

And then Google will drop all support for it on their end within 2 years. I'm not sure why anyone would buy into any new Google initiative anymore at this point.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Manager Hoyden posted:

One day I like to imagine thin AR glasses would provide all decoration and entertainment media seamlessly, almost indistinguishable from the real thing

But... my still-unfulfilled dream of hardware that can even emulate a movie theater convincingly after 60+ years of development in the field says nothing like that will happen in our lifetimes and probably not the lifetimes of our children

Definitely not if the XR field continues to basically consist of finding out which hand-me-down phone hardware can be cobbled together in a marketable package

This is the worst thing I can possibly imagine. What if you could never avoid a screen, no matter where you looked. What if your wallpaper had unskippable ads. What if you had to pay a subscription fee for the pattern on your couch. This world you're looking forward to so much would be indistinguishable from hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

orange juche posted:

it will be some horseshit where you have to buy a 1500 dollar Samsung phone and clip it into a headset thing like gear vr was, because Samsung's primary business is the movement of mobile phones.

Even if that were so, you're forgetting Samsung flogs those $1500 phones on monthly plans. Bundling an XR platform the same way would make it more viable to purchase than an outright purchase of a multi-hundred-dollar Quest, and if it's an open Android device (given Google's involvement), that'd make Meta's walled garden worthless.

mutata posted:

And then Google will drop all support for it on their end within 2 years. I'm not sure why anyone would buy into any new Google initiative anymore at this point.

Google on their own I wouldn't trust for a second. Samsung partnering with Google I trust a little more, because I'd wager it'd be a Samsung product powered by Google Android for the OS, and running on a Qualcomm chipset.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

There cannot be a single person in this thread that has used a GearVR more than once and still thinks we're ever going back to that format. Please.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

njsykora posted:

Yeah, remember a few months back I think during a financial report when they said most people with Quests are just playing F2P games and not actually spending money on the platform.

I genuinely wonder how many of those are small children whose parents stick a VR headset on them instead of actually supervising them. I suspect it's a high percentage, given VRChat and Rec Room.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Roadie posted:

I genuinely wonder how many of those are small children whose parents stick a VR headset on them instead of actually supervising them. I suspect it's a high percentage, given VRChat and Rec Room.

Just like the internet raised the prior generation, and TV raised the generation before that, absent parents have discovered that slamming a headset on their crotch spawn's head solves the problem of whiny kids.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/meta-revenue-rebounding-but-still-quest-2-price-hike/
My financial analysis: Too much red

edit: confirmed they will launch a new headset this year, in case anyone was thinking on buying a Quest 2 now
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/10rghxx/zuckerberg_in_earnings_call_later_this_year_we/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 2, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There is roughly a 0% chance that anyone at Meta is concerned about the biggest gimmick chaser in smartphones and the least committed product launch addict in tech working on yet another VR platform at a time when it's increasingly clear the public cares about VR about as much as they care about folding phones. Qualcomm probably loving the chance to rebadge another old Snapdragon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Google is right now scared of ChatGPT, so I imagine they will double down on AI.