Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Terminator Expansion for Breakpoint (released as a tie-in for Dark Fate) is short but legitimately good, and the three story campaigns are all pretty long and have tons of side missions. Breakpoint is definitely worth the money.

The terminator fps that hit a few years ago was pretty fun and real enjoyable for a budget game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

The terminator fps that hit a few years ago was pretty fun and real enjoyable for a budget game

I agree, Terminator: Resistance is surprisingly good.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I'm shocked they never made a DBD/Ft13 style game with Terminator. 3 humans the terminator has been sent back in time to kill, 1 human sent back to stop him and the Terminator himself.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

arsenicCatnip posted:

I'm shocked they never made a DBD/Ft13 style game with Terminator. 3 humans the terminator has been sent back in time to kill, 1 human sent back to stop him and the Terminator himself.

I like the idea as it's own MP game.

Add a touch of Assassin's Creed multi-player, where the rest of the play area is populated with NPCs, so the Terminator has to actually hunt a bit rather than straight up find the only 3 moving things on the map, and that could be an interesting twist.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Assassin's Creed multiplayer was great and there's never really been anything like it. Amogus is different shut up.

I love pretending to be an NPC.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Philippe posted:

The Assassin's Creed multiplayer was great and there's never really been anything like it. Amogus is different shut up.

Actually it's pretty similar to The Ship: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2400/The_Ship_Murder_Party/, with AC mechanics.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think Ubisoft actually hired some of the people who worked on The Ship to make it. The first iteration of it, anyway.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I like the idea as it's own MP game.

Add a touch of Assassin's Creed multi-player, where the rest of the play area is populated with NPCs, so the Terminator has to actually hunt a bit rather than straight up find the only 3 moving things on the map, and that could be an interesting twist.

Add in a thing where the Terminator chooses their weapon at the start and it comes disguised as something other NPCs can be carrying and you could have a really good "cat and mouse" game where the humans have to escape the map without being gunned down, while the Terminator has to see the faces long enough to identify the targets (well, okay, you can randomly open fire, but that's a good way to tell humans where to run away from).

Basically, I want the mall scene from T2 in game form.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Thanks for shopping at Violins & Long Stem Roses Ltd., can we help you find anything?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Terminator's first goal: Pants

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
basic rule of three quest: find clothes, boots, and motorcycle

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Philippe posted:

this is basically the multiplayer to Deathloop, one player invades a single player game and tries to hunt the protagonist, who has all kinds of possible powers including pretending to be an NPC. It was honestly cool as hell and Deathloop got way, way more hate than it deserved.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Rockman Reserve posted:

this is basically the multiplayer to Deathloop, one player invades a single player game and tries to hunt the protagonist, who has all kinds of possible powers including pretending to be an NPC. It was honestly cool as hell and Deathloop got way, way more hate than it deserved.

It did? I absolutely loved it and the reception was generally pretty good iirc.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

The protagonist couldn't become an NPC, but the invader could - leading to moments when you (the protagonist) are scanning a group of enemies and wondering if one of them is going to start beelining towards your position if you give yourself away.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Son of Rodney posted:

It did? I absolutely loved it and the reception was generally pretty good iirc.

basically every review said it wasn’t worth AAA new game price, the price dropped almost immediately, and it still never really got any goodwill

Morpheus posted:

The protagonist couldn't become an NPC, but the invader could - leading to moments when you (the protagonist) are scanning a group of enemies and wondering if one of them is going to start beelining towards your position if you give yourself away.

Ah, drat it, it’s been a while

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

There's also some art deco spy -thief game coming out with the whole premise being a big rear end complex full of NPCs you can mimic while other spy-thieves equally disguised race / fight you to the same goal. Cannot remember the name.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I hate hate hate competitive multiplayer, but Deathloop's version was fascinating, and the singleplayer campaign is fantastic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Deathloop's multiplayer was good because it was extremely simple to turn it off. You'd still experience invasions, it'd just be controlled by the AI instead of a human that's put dozens of hours into the game and has equipment far outclassing your own.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deathloop seemed like it should've been one of those old school budget games, Moonraker also seems to have eaten it's lunch.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deathloop is on game pass for those of you interested. Personally I liked the art direction but the game never really clicked for me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm just a huge fan of everything Arkane has released. I really like their style going back to Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dark Messiah is great, but drat near unplayable even with the fixes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woah gently caress Arkane made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic??? The kicking game?? I played that game to death, no orc or cultist or skeleton was safe from my mighty right leg. The multiplayer was sick as hell too, as I recall, class based magic team deathmatch or ctf.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
DMoM multiplayer was CHAOS

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

verbal enema posted:

DMoM multiplayer was CHAOS

Yeah it was amazingly fun, shame only like 12 people played it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Biplane posted:

Yeah it was amazingly fun, shame only like 12 people played it.

and those 12 people were gods at it too lmao i dont think i ever saw outside of spawn points

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

verbal enema posted:

and those 12 people were gods at it too lmao i dont think i ever saw outside of spawn points

One of the classes had this crazy chargeable magic orb that got bigger and crazier the longer you charged it, and it just demolished everything. First team to get an orb wizard usually won. gently caress I want to play it now

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Biplane posted:

Deathloop is on game pass for those of you interested. Personally I liked the art direction but the game never really clicked for me.

Yeah, same. For a game supposed to involve a fair amount of fast-paced gunfights, the shooting just always felt a bit tepid. The multiplayer similarly had an issue where 1 time out of 10 it would be a brilliant game of cat and mouse, and the rest of the times you'd just get blasted in the back of the head with no warning or just get away without ever seeing them. Art direction and voice acting were extremely solid, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Deathloop had the best use of the PS5 controller yet where the trigger would lock when your gun jammed

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Len posted:

Deathloop had the best use of the PS5 controller yet where the trigger would lock when your gun jammed

thats pretty cool

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I never beat Arx Fatalis. I reached a point where you needed to use a magic thing to get through some sort of thing, and there was only two possible ways of doing it. One was to get one of the snake ladies to do it, but things between them and I had gone south and I'd killed them all. The other was to manually increase your magic skill, but because of limited resources/enemies/xp in the game, it was completely impossible for my to achieve that magic level. So I never beat it :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

Oh, that's awesome. I had zero interest in the adaptive triggers ahead of time, but they do a lot of fun stuff. Now I miss that extra bit of feel when I play a PS4 game or something on a different controller.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm just a huge fan of everything Arkane has released. I really like their style going back to Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah

I played dark messiah for the first time just a few years ago and that game rules, the physics bullshit still holds up and ragdolling things is way more fun than it has any right to be

https://i.imgur.com/JvNVSwo.mp4

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
DMZ mode in Modern Warfare 2 is crack for someone like me who loves games like MGSV and Ghost Recon.

The missions and objectives are varied and each round has random elements like loot, objective and enemy placements. There's both AI and enemy players so you pretty much always have to improvise depending on the situation. Not engaging with the enemy is often a valid choice.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

tokenbrownguy posted:

There's also some art deco spy -thief game coming out with the whole premise being a big rear end complex full of NPCs you can mimic while other spy-thieves equally disguised race / fight you to the same goal. Cannot remember the name.

There was also SpyParty where one player is a spy at a party with a few set tasks and the other player is a sniper watching over the whole map trying to find and shoot the spy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SpaceCommie posted:

There was also SpyParty where one player is a spy at a party with a few set tasks and the other player is a sniper watching over the whole map trying to find and shoot the spy.

great jerma star video

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

It's always the monopoly guy.

They also played a tangentially similar game called ScreenPeek, where everyone's invisible and you have to use your opponent's perspective to figure out where they are so you can shoot em

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

arsenicCatnip posted:

It's always the monopoly guy.

They also played a tangentially similar game called ScreenPeek, where everyone's invisible and you have to use your opponent's perspective to figure out where they are so you can shoot em

that was a cool concept for a game

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That one is called Screencheat. I personly had the odd condition with that game that the longer I kept playing it the more disoriented and worse I became. So, the ideal half hour game, no warming up needed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Another game which was on the whole not good, but had a very interesting PVP invasion mechanism was Watch Dogs.