Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

do you think wordcount dictates value of post?

If so I have something horrible to tell you about your posts.

But lets stop flirting.

I don't think word count dictates value, nor effort

I think you are more than capable of posting responses worthy of constructive engagement, and think your refusal to do so is cowardice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I must say, telling people to "grow up and stop being afraid of a thing" when it's a thing they might have legit trauma or past injury as a reason for that fear doesn't seem very comradely and I think makes you a bit of a oval office frankly.

Speaking as someone with multiple childhood traumas that made me terrified of dogs, I 100% agree. Family matters meant I had to end up meeting the puppy my sister was forced to adopt, and later my parents have to take off her, and now I love dogs while not forgetting the abject terror they instilled in me from prior incidents.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The people who need to "grow up" are dog owners. You have a responsibility to keep your animal under control (calm, trained, and on a leash where necessary), and responsibility is near-as-dammit the very definition of growing up.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

I don't think word count dictates value, nor effort

I think you are more than capable of posting responses worthy of constructive engagement, and think your refusal to do so is cowardice

ok well I think sometimes a blunt and to the point response can achieve much more than a wall of text. And the fact I was probated and you and some other posters were so drawn to my post is testament to that. Other posters made the points I wanted to make, I just emphasised them.

But you're right, I am a coward.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

Lol

Imo people should grow up and stop being afraid of dogs

gently caress off.

"Ah yeah, grow up, just stop being afraid of things you have an irrational fear of", said the moron.

Dog owners are so often absolute idiots who can't even look after themselves, never mind a stupid animal, that frankly I'm not even sure it is an irrational fear. I don't trust you to have taught your dog not to be bite me, especially your little yappy poo poo. Sure, it won't rip my hand off but it's still an unpleasant experience getting a tiny little rodent biting your leg

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think jakabites post was somewhat tongue in cheek and in response to someone spouting some pretty unrefined daily mail classist bullshit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Only Kindness posted:

The people who need to "grow up" are dog owners. You have a responsibility to keep your animal under control (calm, trained, and on a leash where necessary), and responsibility is near-as-dammit the very definition of growing up.

That's actually the dog's responsibility.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Imo the real pricks are horse riders. When was the last time you saw one of them pick up after their animal? Just leaving huge piles of poo poo everywhere because they think they're too good to walk on their own two feet.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think jakabites post was somewhat tongue in cheek and in response to someone spouting some pretty unrefined daily mail classist bullshit.

Ah yes, calling out poo poo dog owners is Daily Mail classist bullshit. gently caress off.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

All told the UK isn’t that important. Why do we think our politicians should have an opinion on the Middle East, or care what that is? It’s not like we’re going to send a couple of battalions over to do policing or w/e, there is literally no power to back any of this up.

Like if there’s one thing Brexit should have really driven home, it’s that the UK isn’t very important and doesn’t have a say on what the rest of the world does any more. We had our time in the sun, and we have had 3-4 generations now to get over not having it any more.

Then again I’m an emigrant of 15 years now so maybe I’m missing something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, you see, the newspapers are criminally insane.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I must say, telling people to "grow up and stop being afraid of a thing" when it's a thing they might have legit trauma or past injury as a reason for that fear doesn't seem very comradely and I think makes you a bit of a oval office frankly.
While I sympathise with anyone who has dog related trauma, a dog running around off-leash is a normal thing to see in a park, or a woodland walk.

If the dog is snapping or being agressive or harassing someone that's an entirely different matter, but this is a woman who picks her child up every time she sees any dog off leash.

That's not rational, and it's certainly not the dog's fault or the owner's fault, that's a wildly disproportionate response on her part. I doubt the percentage of dogs that attack is statistically significant enough to register. But she treats every dog as if it's about to flip out.

It'd be like if someone dived into a nearby garden every time a car drove past. Yes most non-tesla cars won't swerve up onto the pavement, but she read about one that did and you never know!

I cannot get that point across strongly enough, the journo is question is having a vastly disproportionate response to a statistically insignificant problem, and using her platform to justify her irrational fear in a way that's going to further spread panic and probably get a bunch of innocent dogs reported and put down.

Absolute Karen behaviour.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

big scary monsters posted:

Imo the real pricks are horse riders. When was the last time you saw one of them pick up after their animal? Just leaving huge piles of poo poo everywhere because they think they're too good to walk on their own two feet.

speaking as a gentleman from literally texas, do people actually ride horses on english (or welsh, i suppose) roads? because normally i'd have assumed that was mostly a fabrication

like, yes, we have some weird amish/mennonite type communities, but they're pretty rare and localized and in many cases fled from being dunked on by europeans

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dabir posted:

Well, you see, the newspapers are criminally insane.

my first real experience with UK parliamentary politics was watching the Rebekah (?) Brooks et al phone hacking testimony and the weird procedural zombie groans

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

speaking as a gentleman from literally texas, do people actually ride horses on english (or welsh, i suppose) roads? because normally i'd have assumed that was mostly a fabrication

like, yes, we have some weird amish/mennonite type communities, but they're pretty rare and localized and in many cases fled from being dunked on by europeans

Yes, occasionally. You also see it in continental Europe too. If you have a horse, how else are you going to get it from A to B when it’s too short a distance to justify a trailer?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Google Jeb Bush posted:

:dafuq: How else...?

Have a look.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-about-animals-horse-riders.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

big scary monsters posted:

Free manure! Scoop that brown gold up.

I would also like if dogs out and about where leashed, at least the ones larger than hot dogs. My son got 'attacked' by a dog while biking (owner saying he just wants to play while kid is falling over on his bike from the big dog and screaming, he was like 3 at the time) and is now quite scared of most dogs with a few exceptions like my nephews dogs, been a long road to get him there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yes, occasionally. You also see it in continental Europe too. If you have a horse, how else are you going to get it from A to B when it’s too short a distance to justify a trailer?

oh i think i misunderstood, that makes sense

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People also just do it for fun, apparently. I passed three yesterday.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Dogs are generally pretty cowardly especially if not cornered and pissed/rabid (much like humans) so shouting loudly at them usually sends them off right quick.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You awake to an absolute classic of the “face eating leopards” genre from this GB News prick

https://twitter.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1620721243027816449?s=46&t=7E6moDQsL9h3zrTb2C9kpA

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

You awake to an absolute classic of the “face eating leopards” genre from this GB News prick

https://twitter.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1620721243027816449?s=46&t=7E6moDQsL9h3zrTb2C9kpA

i feel like that’s a trick you can only pull off on your existing tenants

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Why doesn't he just buy his own property and pay off his own mortgage? I hear he's quite fond of saying that to other people.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
British Gas have announced they will immediately stop installing forced prepaid meters after that report.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really feel like there should be something other than "we will stop doing the horrific thing we were previously doing until someone pointed out to the general public that we were doing it"

Like what's wrong with tar and feathering? Why don't we still do that?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/IndyVoices/status/1620732149115527173?t=LrTzPnI0hVNgkr0o-pzLow&s=19

Some choice panic in this one:

Poor Indy journalist saw a pomeranian and died.

Humans (especially children) are more important than dogs.

Doesn't matter how well trained someone thinks a dog is, as a species they can be unpredictable. You're relying on a dog owner to control them and guess what people are also irresponsible.

Given the amount of dog poo poo caking the pavements around my way like we're still living in the 80s, I wouldn't trust any dog owner around here to have their dog trained or keep it under control if it came near my kid.

Kids are also unpredictable but less so because you can, generally, communicate with them better.

Toddlers might unknowingly annoy a dog in some way but the difference is that a toddler might tug on some hair or poke something or generally do something weak to the dog, a dog can bite.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

Like what's wrong with tar and feathering? Why don't we still do that?

Tar is bad for the environment and feathers aren't vegan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Send their directors cheery leaflets about the great savings if they get their gas and electric chair from the same supplier.

Beefeater1980 posted:

All told the UK isn’t that important. Why do we think our politicians should have an opinion on the Middle East, or care what that is? It’s not like we’re going to send a couple of battalions over to do policing or w/e, there is literally no power to back any of this up.
The one argument that does make sense is that Britain had a large hand in causing it in the first place and there's a lot of Palestinian expats here because of that.

But that's an argument for letting those people speak, like with Barney Pityana during his exile, rather than that all UK parties have to have hot takes on the region.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Tar is bad for the environment and feathers aren't vegan.

molasses and cotton?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I do want to know why you can get fined for not picking up your dogs poo poo but nothing is ever said about how people let their cats outside to poo poo anywhere and everywhere, including in my garden.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it's maddening how many people are seemingly incapable of picking up after their dog. even in the signposted NO DOGS areas in the kids playground there's poo poo everywhere. my mad pipe dream is to build some kind of magic poop profiler to go along with the pet microchip system so you could identify who has let their animal poo poo up the place and go smear it on their windows or something

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When you ask someone on the Times Rich List how their great great grandad made money

kecske posted:

molasses and cotton?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Use it for the tarring.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kin posted:

Humans (especially children) are more important than dogs.

Bit rude, I reckon I'm at least as important as the average child. Maybe moreso, if they don't have their 3000m swimming certificate like I do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to assume that Liz is holed up in Threadneedle Street with a bottle of vodka, a sniper rifle, and a tub of Flintstones chewable vitamins.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Leaving your dog poop is a lovely thing to do. Including the "well it's not on the path so it's fine". Just pick it up. You knew this was part of the deal when you got the dog.

But as most dogs will go on a walk, you only need one or two lazy owners on a route to create the perception that "no one picks up after their dog".

Noxville posted:

I do want to know why you can get fined for not picking up your dogs poo poo but nothing is ever said about how people let their cats outside to poo poo anywhere and everywhere, including in my garden.

If I had to guess it's that cat poop is mostly only a nuisance in people's gardens and therefore is a civil matter, not a council one.
But laws around cats are a bit weird, dogs are protected for example, if you run over one it can be a serious matter. Cats get the same legal treatment as if you ran over someone's umbrella.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Generally this is because you're meant to keep your dogs under control because they can be dangerous (as the most recent story has highlighted) whereas cats are allowed to do what they want as they're mostly placid (if spiteful).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My cat attacked me a few days ago, gave me a whack in my side with his claws. Because I had one of my kids in my lap and we ignored him (looking at a pc game). I gave a shout as he sunk his claws into my side, scared my kid who jumped away. The cat jumps into my lap and looks smug.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

See whereas a dog would have just face-bumped you repeatedly and maybe started whining but would not hurt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

This is what power grants you. Israel is openly fascist now. Their finance minister has literally said "I'm a fascist homophobe", Israel has elected their most right wing government since the last most right wing government and they are literally making up new positions to give to people who have called for ethnic cleansing so they can sell more homes to fat Americans, but if you point that out, even just quoting them, you're a dangerous antisemite and conspiracy theorist for questioning a beacon of liberalism that exists only in the minds of the absolutely braindead.