Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok that team task was great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I liked Jo but she's got a very different sort of energy to most tm contestants so I understand why most people won't.

the egg task is still one of my favorites.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Finally watching Season 9, episode 2 and Jo Brand has already given up.

I think them softening the butter in the microwave broke something small but important in Alex Hornes' soul.

I mean, people had psychologically damaged him before (Liza Tarbuck and the cake, Rhod Gilbert being a general lunatic) but never before had any contestant expressed so much sheer weary disdain for the very ideas of Competition and Effort as Jo and David. It was amazing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Irisi posted:

Rhod Gilbert
Only psychologically?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

My Lovely Horse posted:

Only psychologically?

Hey he gave Alex a shield.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Taskmaster NZ is going to kick start a new golden age of New Zealand comedy tv for the ten comedians that constitute the New Zealand comedy circuit.

https://twitter.com/guy_mont/status/1619790186917027840?s=20&t=fPqoL7dIfMQt2vDC2jfCQQ

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This makes me think TMNZ is capped at like 5 seasons without repeats.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

There's going to be a fourth series. If that's 20 funny kiwis, you can get 15,504 unique line ups.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I suspect if you asked each of the comics that have been on the show so far they could each reel off at least a couple up and coming comics who would be great on the show but don't get booked to do TV that often just yet or if they do it's stuff that doesn't get broadcast internationally.

The UK show has been pretty good about picking some lesser known folks who then get to use it as a bit of a boost so if the New Zealand one continues long term they'll probably do that. I guess some of the ones on there already might have been lesser known at the time as well, I don't know the New Zealand comedy scene well enough to judge. The only ones I'd heard of prior were Guy Montgomery and David Correos.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I suspect they’ll get Jermaine Clement at some point, maybe Rhys Darby when he’s got a free few days, just to get some Names. The UK version gets people I always think would be too big for Taskmaster.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Matt Heath's rocking long hair, dang.

That whole concept came out of the pandemic with him doing zoom spelling bees, worth watching if you haven't!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Taskmaster AU starts tonight and I'm somewhat excited?

Tom Gleeson was the right choice of host and I'll take any reason to get more Jimmy Giggle on my screen, the dude has been pumping out gold on his YouTube channel since quitting.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Holy poo poo I forgot how bad free to air television is with all the ads.

EDIT: Wow that last adbreak completely destroyed the momentum. Had to like, settle my thoughts before I could remember if I enjoyed it. I did though, it was fun. But whew channel 10 sure tried hard to gently caress it up. I'll just skip the live showing from now on.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 2, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
You say that like there aren't ads on pay television

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I spend so little time on ad-based video or radio that it's genuinely horrifying these days when I encounter it and realise again just how much of it is advertising. Once you're out for a while and haven't been normalised to it it's shocking.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I have had adblock for years and only watch things through my computer so I'm definitely not used to ads.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phigs posted:

Yeah I have had adblock for years and only watch things through my computer so I'm definitely not used to ads.

:same:

I stop by my mom's house, and she has the television on, and it's nothing but ad after ad. I can't watch that anymore.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Double post but

Looten Plunder posted:

Taskmaster AU starts tonight and I'm somewhat excited?

Tom Gleeson was the right choice of host and I'll take any reason to get more Jimmy Giggle on my screen, the dude has been pumping out gold on his YouTube channel since quitting.

That was a really good episode. Tom Gleeson has the perfect rear end in a top hat attitude.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a nice start for a new show. They did a good job with picking different types of tasks with fairly straightforward dos and don'ts to ease people into the format. The two male contestants are a bit grating, I feel. Especially James, as you can really tell he's a children's entertainer. I don't have any familiarity with his usual TV/TikTok persona, so it feels a bit off.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Phigs posted:

Yeah, just wait an hour and watch it on tenplay with an adblocker

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Decent start with promise.

Also:

https://twitter.com/ninaoyama/status/1621078010043731968

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I thought this was a really strong start. No duds on the cast, and I think the guy playing the TM is really funny.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I was kinda lukewarm on him until the part where he got really excited about a multiple disqualification.

he's a different flavor of jerk than Greg, but he's still fun.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Every version of Taskmaster has it's strengths and weaknesses, I think "Taskmaster Tom" is really good, because that's his sense of humor, and as a fan of Hard Quiz, makes perfect sense as a Taskmaster.

People are giving "Assistant Tom" some grief because he's slightly animated and kind of a dick to the contestants, but he still does the job at hand of being the bridge between Contestant and Taskmaster.

He will still agree to all the dumb ideas people have, but is really excited to show rules infractions. But I think every version is "a good version".

My favorite line of the night was Gleason saying he "can't wait to read your comments comparing this version to the original"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

quote:

“I will never be able to prove it, but I suspect I’d be better at completing the tasks than every contestant we’re ever going to have on the show,” Gleeson says with a sigh. “I am better than everyone in the UK version too, including Greg Davies. I am better than Greg Davies – make that the headline!”

“If you need a second headline,” Cashman adds, “please write that Lesser Tom has a lot of respect for Alex Horne and he is clearly better in every way.”
Fun interview in The Guardian

Liked the first episode, it had to take the time to teach the format to any new viewers, so it's not a surprise that it's a bit less exciting for die-hard fans. Gleeson is clearly well suited for the taskmaster - he's quick to form an opinion and tell you about it. The orange juice solves had all those classic Taskmaster flavours, someone who utterly misunderstands the task, a tragic attempt that eeks out a pity point, and a wanky workaround. The bit about not making it to the sex round of 16 was a fun bit of studio banter, and hope there's more of that coming.

If the prize task segment felt slightly choppy and flat to you, there's a bit of a story behind that. Word from people who attended the recording is that there was a running joke about child molestation between the panellists and TM, which obviously all had to be edited out of the episode. Hopefully more of the material is broadcastable in future episodes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I'm not familiar with Gleeson but I liked him a lot, he's one of the first people I've seen play that role that actually feels pretty close to Greg.

Not that that's always necessary, but he has a similar balance of being funny-mean but also being willing to drop the facade and genuinely laugh

also my favorite moment was julia morris killing it with lateral thinking then immediately segueing into 'hey tom this is what i'd look like if i was dead'

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Since they announced the cast I've been wondering where I recognised Nina Oyama's name from.

Turns out she's responsible for this tweet which keeps getting reposted all over the place.

https://twitter.com/ninaoyama/status/1084357877253300227?s=20&t=8btw4peWDtdAqf-CQJ0tgA

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Based on one episode, it feels like Gleeson GETS both the show and the Taskmaster character, without just doing an impression of Greg Davies.

Certainly an order of magnitude better than Jeremy Wells, anyway.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

I thought this was a really strong start. No duds on the cast, and I think the guy playing the TM is really funny.

He's been honing a jerk persona for years now so this job was perfect for him
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uhusGAsXpzM&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

'I don't think it's necessary for me to specify who lost that round' got the biggest laugh from me. Looks like 3 non-poo poo English language taskmasters from now on, truly we live in a time of wonders.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Strawman posted:

'I don't think it's necessary for me to specify who lost that round' got the biggest laugh from me. Looks like 3 non-poo poo English language taskmasters from now on, truly we live in a time of wonders.

That's a 100% success rate!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
gleeson is great. not sure about the alex tom yet, his vibe is a lot less neurotic than the other versions'.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

exmarx posted:

gleeson is great. not sure about the alex tom yet, his vibe is a lot less neurotic than the other versions'.

He looks like he's doing a bit of a Paul Williams impression sometimes, which is not what he should be doing.

Good stuff overall though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh god, I remember where I knew Ardal O'Hanlon from. My Hero! A sitcom so bad that I'm surprised he didn't choose hermitage because of the shame of being involved in it.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Alhazred posted:

Oh god, I remember where I knew Ardal O'Hanlon from. My Hero! A sitcom so bad that I'm surprised he didn't choose hermitage because of the shame of being involved in it.

How have you heard of My Hero! and not Father Ted?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ObamaAkbar. posted:

How have you heard of My Hero! and not Father Ted?

Because one of them was broadcasted in my country and the other wasn't.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Imagine not being able to fully appreciate Greg's joke that before the show he used to believe Ardal played a character on Father Ted.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Phigs posted:

Imagine not being able to fully appreciate Greg's joke that before the show he used to believe Ardal played a character on Father Ted.

Absolutely a top tier TM moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSstu2tzrng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFTgkibl7DU