Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I dunno, it'll go out much faster than a normal tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

And normal Teslas can go really fast when their drive-by-wire electronics short out and lock the accelerator down full throttle so the car becomes a 200 mph coffin delivery system.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

FoolyCharged posted:

Hmmm... might need more everclear....

Steadiman posted:

Can I have mine thrown at a kid instead of the wall? Love the drink
Generally no kids at the bar... maybe I can get a mannequin.

I was also thinking of...
code:
The Twitter Takeover

Ingredients:
1 shot (30ml) Blue Curacao
Dash of Milk
2 shots (60ml) everclear

Glass: Martini Glass

Method:
- Pour the curacao into a glass, add the milk and stir 
neatly with a straw.
- Add the everclear over a spoon so it forms a layer 
above the curacao/milk mixture.

To serve:
- Have them smash glass over own crotch.  
- Let sink in
- Give customer a match to light mixture
- Not to be consumed... just watched.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cable Guy posted:

Hmmm... might need more everclear....

Generally no kids at the bar... maybe I can get a mannequin.

I was also thinking of...
code:
The Twitter Takeover

Ingredients:
1 shot (30ml) Blue Curacao
Dash of Milk
2 shots (60ml) everclear

Glass: Martini Glass

Method:
- Pour the curacao into a glass, add the milk and stir 
neatly with a straw.
- Add the everclear over a spoon so it forms a layer 
above the curacao/milk mixture.

To serve:
- Have them smash glass over own crotch.  
- Let sink in
- Give customer a match to light mixture
- Not to be consumed... just watched.
Don't forget to throw the bottles of Blue Curacao and Everclear on the ground to waste even more money for no good reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1621026986784337922

:bravo:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lmao

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Wait, does that include site embeds?

The main functionality of that trash site?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1621027418680229888

*jacking off motions*

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

What's an API?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

well there goes the one remaining use case i had for twitter, which was offloading screenshots and videos from my switch

even more hilarious, i'm pretty sure if they shut off the api, it's gonna break any website that has the "sign in with twitter" option. not sure how many people actually use that, but if you did you're probably out of luck.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

grittyreboot posted:

What's an API?

application programming interface. it's an interface what lets you talk directly to an application/service.

i use the twitter API to automatically grab and cross post tweets containing news updates from my feed to my discord. won't be able to do that no more.
e: well i will but i'll have to use http instead which will be much worse on twitter's servers

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i missed the part today where elon privated his own twitter either because he's a moron or because he's desperate to be one of the boys. lmao..

grittyreboot posted:

What's an API?

application programming interface, it lets third parties fetch data from your site. basically if they do this a ton of stuff that made twitter useful (example: having earthquake data relayed onto twitter) will be gone

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

also paywalling the api kinda shows how desperate elon is for money. like i used it cause it was free but i'm not going to pay money for my bot accounts that i post dumb things like generating star wars names. oh wait, no! elon! i will pay $20/month to be able to continue doing that!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

wait does this mean twitter is going to kill their oauth

l m a o

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

grittyreboot posted:

What's an API?

It's how other applications can communicate with a service. A website can technically go to https://www.twitter.com/tweet1, load the whole page into its memory and retrieve a tweet from that, but it's incredibly inefficient and often difficult to get around the need for user inputs. APIs allow them to visit say, api.twitter.com/tweet1 and retrieve just the information they need from tweet1: The tweet, the user id, date, time, etc.

Similar there might be a api.twitter.com/post/ which will allow the website to post without having to automate the human processes of logging on, finding the correct input field and clicking send tweet.

It allows other websites to use twitter functionality without individual user input.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Again it's sort of amazing how like if you had made a list last year of best ways to gently caress up Twitter the fastest, musk would of gone through pretty much all the top ones by now.

It really is impressive.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

:shepface:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I didn't even consider "making using the api chargeable" would be one way to render Twitter less useful but he really thought of it lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

What's an API?

They mean ape pee eye, don't google that it's a hosed up cryptobro sex thing

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

he gave a week for people to figure out if they really want to pay money for.. a thing that helps twitter generate content.
--

btw if you're not aware of twitter developer.. lore... twitter use to have an extremely open API until about 2012 when they slowly started removing features (including third party apps having limited tokens to use for their apps) and developers basically left the platform in droves. people were developing "businesses" on top of twitter which was dumb but people did it anyways and got angry and left twitter when this happen. it got to the point where after jack came back to be ceo around 2015, he "apologized" for the way they handled it.. and then proceeded to kinda gently caress developers again over that time. i think before elon acquired twitter they had released a new api and were going to try to do creative new things to attract all the developers that got sick and tired of twitter loving over developers.

this is the death knell for it (developer wise). imagine making developers pay for an api that is shite after they previously got screwed over by the company. no one is going to build anything useful especially now that the population is slowly creeping over to terminally online chuds.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

he gave a week for people to figure out if they really want to pay money for.. a thing that helps twitter generate content.
--

btw if you're not aware of twitter developer.. lore... twitter use to have an extremely open API until about 2012 when they slowly started removing features (including third party apps having limited tokens to use for their apps) and developers basically left the platform in droves. people were developing "businesses" on top of twitter which was dumb but people did it anyways and got angry and left twitter when this happen. it got to the point where after jack came back to be ceo around 2015, he "apologized" for the way they handled it.. and then proceeded to kinda gently caress developers again over that time. i think before elon acquired twitter they had released a new api and were going to try to do creative new things to attract all the developers that got sick and tired of twitter loving over developers.

this is the death knell for it (developer wise). imagine making developers pay for an api that is shite after they previously got screwed over by the company. no one is going to build anything useful especially now that the population is slowly creeping over to terminally online chuds.

Pay $8

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

8PI

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mx. posted:

wait does this mean twitter is going to kill their oauth

l m a o

I want to say even Elon isn’t that stupid but I think recent events have shown otherwise

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
lol. lmao.

the company i was fired from on tuesday made a lot of their revenue through the free tier of the twitter API.

karma really is a bitch!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1621011808017616896?s=46&t=8n_FIbUTahAdXndwijcLuQ

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
This move to paid api is kind of expected. Over the course of the last decade a lot of things have been gating off their api because of how much bandwidth they soak up...

Typically you'd just rate limit free accounts... the only reason you'd paywall if bots using APIs were a huge problem and you wanted to take a nuclear approach, right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean people don’t want to boycott twitter to actually destroy it, they aren’t that stupid, they want to feel morally superior. Nothing more

A friend of mine died because of Twitter bullying, and that was when they still had a mod team.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Question: does this mean tweets wont link to the forums / news sites unless a bunch of people pay?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
So is that going to break embedding on these forums too? That's really the only way I interact with Twitter these days.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Read this dumbasses and replace the Harry Potter game with Twitter, because it’s exactly the same thing.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/jk-rowlings-anti-transgender-stance-and-hogwarts-legacy/1100-6501632/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

boy he really does just commune with the worst people possible

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Something 'fundamental' is wrong....

Something fundy is mental...

:hmmyes:

edit: not sure if that's a slur like the r word.... apologies if it is. Mod/IK please pm me if it is and I'll remove the post.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 2, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
edit oops I'm dumb

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

nullEntityRNG posted:

This move to paid api is kind of expected. Over the course of the last decade a lot of things have been gating off their api because of how much bandwidth they soak up...

Typically you'd just rate limit free accounts... the only reason you'd paywall if bots using APIs were a huge problem and you wanted to take a nuclear approach, right?

Well, that, and for some reason your primary revenue source died up because like two thirds of your advertisers decided to gently caress off. Nobody knows why. :iiam:

And then your amazing plan to sell checkmarks also fell flat on its rear end because only around 200,000 people (on a platform of 450 million monthly active users) decided they wanted to stick the "bully me" hat on. Again, nobody knows how that failed :iiam:

Elon's desperate for cash, and frankly, I do understand him deeply. Remember how he got dragged to the world cup final by the saudis in nothing but his t-shirt and pants? People were joking about the lowtax% speedrun but everyone's sleeping on the very real possibility of a khashoggi%

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

grittyreboot posted:

What's an API?

It’s a part of the stack you see.. the same stack with the code that he doesn’t like… the very specific code in the stack that’s so garbage that he shouldn’t need to point it out.

Lmao, this is absolutely going to cover that $1.5 billion interest payment so he can get back to focusing on reading his ex’s dm’s saving humanity via mars.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So is that going to break embedding on these forums too? That's really the only way I interact with Twitter these days.

I don’t think so, but who knows.

I didn’t realise until just now that it will mean breaking a lot of the automated accounts that do stuff like post animal pictures every hour will be done for. For some people that’s a big part of their Twitter feed just gone.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This is an example of an API that's owned by twitter. In this case it's an API that you send the link of a tweet to, and in response it'll send you the HTTP needed to embed a tweet onto your web page.

Jeffrey is going to have to pay money to save PYF.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beartaco posted:

This is an example of an API that's owned by twitter. In this case it's an API that you send the link of a tweet to, and in response it'll send you the HTTP needed to embed a tweet onto your web page.

Jeffrey is going to have to pay money to save PYF.

Does this mean SA is going to have the twitter piss yellow checkmark by it's URL now?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
This is definitely going to make / save a lot of money. Genius move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Guess who's finally back!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1621025421637857280?cxt=HHwWgMDRyYmChf8sAAAA

Hahaha, you didn't identify jack poo poo.