Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Not sure if this is politically loaded but it's aesthetically horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^ wtf, put a NMS tag on that.

Liechtenstein and San Marino didn't make the cut, but Monaco gets a huge chunk of France, huh. Morocco conquers Melilla and Ceuta, and takes Gibraltar to add a twist of ironic hypocrisy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Saladman posted:

Morocco conquers Melilla and Ceuta, and takes Gibraltar to add a twist of ironic hypocrisy.
and Algeria and Tunisia!

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Ras Het posted:

Its a cool concept for a map, it'd be very interesting if the data was mapped onto a map of Brasilian municipalities or even states. Just a shame its awfully designed.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Ras Het posted:

And people said not to worry about the automated war system in Vicky 3...

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Switzerland's name needs to be in like three other languages

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

I was just sent this as an "Economic Map of Europe". The map part is a bit questionable I guess, but its a complete contrast of the Brasil map as a very nice way of visually displaying the data though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

These are the worst loving pie slices.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

They do indicate the need to spread the wealth more equally, until each slice is exactly the same size.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They do indicate the need to spread the wealth more equally, until each slice is exactly the same size.

Says the guy from an EU member state with a pretty small population...

Deez NUTS-2

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is always someone in the office who belgiums before anyone else can get a piece

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Says the guy from an EU member state with a pretty small population...

Deez NUTS-2
From the perspective of Denmark, it is very fair. The ratio between Malta and Denmark, and Denmark and Germany, would be roughly the same.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first Icelandic mass migrations to the Americas in the early 1800s were primarily to Utah (Mormon converts) and to Brazil. Almost all the Icelandic Brazilian emigrants moved to the German south because as Danish colonial subjects many of them spoke Danish which is basically just slurred German.

Later waves of migration were to places a bit further north with the vast majority of West -Icelanders ending up in "New Iceland" in Manitoba with a few pockets in the Scandinavian settlements in Minnesota and the Dakotas.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Petanque posted:

Switzerland's name needs to be in like three other languages

See also: Belgique as the (sole) native name for Belgium

I think it's low-key some sort of French supremacist map, disregarding the more obvious pro-Irish agenda

e: also funny that they did add Eire to Ireland when Irish is only spoken daily by a tiny part of the population:

e2: not to cast aspersions but I think this obvious joke map might not be 100% accurate

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 2, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Blut posted:

I was just sent this as an "Economic Map of Europe". The map part is a bit questionable I guess, but its a complete contrast of the Brasil map as a very nice way of visually displaying the data though.

The Irish figure seems extraordinarily high for a country with a population comparable to that of Finland. They even seem to be outcompeting Austria and Denmark, which are both wealthy countries that are larger population-wise (especially Austria). Is this really accurate?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Phlegmish posted:

The Irish figure seems extraordinarily high for a country with a population comparable to that of Finland. They even seem to be outcompeting Austria and Denmark, which are both wealthy countries that are larger population-wise (especially Austria). Is this really accurate?

Ireland's GDP is always overstated relative to GNP because of how many companies are headquartered there for tax treatment. Like, 100% of Apple's European activity counts to Ireland, then spread that over every American company.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

It wouldn't be too bad of a map if it were about European ancestries exclusively. As is, I'm almost certain that the 'Others' category should rightfully cover more of Brazil, especially in regions like the Northeast where a large part of the population is of predominantly African descent. I don't know how they got the data, and if it's based on the census or not. I suppose that's the politically-loaded part.

e: I guess I was wrong, according to Wikipedia African ancestry makes up only 27% of the total in Northeast Brazil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Region,_Brazil#Demographics

I did not know that, I assumed it would be higher than that.

Flappy Bert posted:

Ireland's GDP is always overstated relative to GNP because of how many companies are headquartered there for tax treatment. Like, 100% of Apple's European activity counts to Ireland, then spread that over every American company.

Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 2, 2023

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Saw a chart from maybe the FT the other day saying Irish GDP was way up over the last few years but household consumption is basically flat. The GDP number is very made up

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Phlegmish posted:

e: also funny that they did add Eire to Ireland when Irish is only spoken daily by a tiny part of the population:

I'm not an expert but I think 800 years of English occupation might have some say in this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm not an expert but I think 800 years of English occupation might have some say in this.

Of course. I always found it interesting that the English were able to so thoroughly impose their language on Ireland, but not e.g. their religion (after the Reformation) or sense of identity.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
another one of these, sorry

https://twitter.com/_x_takes_/status/1620895765819449345

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Saw a chart from maybe the FT the other day saying Irish GDP was way up over the last few years but household consumption is basically flat. The GDP number is very made up

Guessing Brexit has led to even more American companies piling into Ireland? If you need an EU HQ and it used to be London...

Family Values fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 2, 2023

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

FreudianSlippers posted:

The first Icelandic mass migrations to the Americas in the early 1800s were primarily to Utah (Mormon converts) and to Brazil. Almost all the Icelandic Brazilian emigrants moved to the German south because as Danish colonial subjects many of them spoke Danish which is basically just slurred German.

Later waves of migration were to places a bit further north with the vast majority of West -Icelanders ending up in "New Iceland" in Manitoba with a few pockets in the Scandinavian settlements in Minnesota and the Dakotas.

Gimli is famous for 1) being the town that produces all the Crown Royal in the world, and 2) the Gimli Glider, one of the crazier examples of jet piloting ever.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
No discussion of the Gimli Glider is complete without this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvt7hP5a-0

TinTower fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 3, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

A couple of my greatt grandfather's brothers (Danes) emigrated to Winnipeg in the 1920s. Both married, neither had kids, but some years ago I established contact with a woman whose father was the adopted son of one of the brothers, I think making her my step-cousin once removed. I've noticed the Icelandic presence before, but I don't know if it contributed to them choosing that place to settle (cousin doesn't know either).

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 2, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

There's an interpreter's booth at the European Parliament for the Irish language, next time you think your job is useless.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Of course. I always found it interesting that the English were able to so thoroughly impose their language on Ireland, but not e.g. their religion (after the Reformation) or sense of identity.

Basically, the language is useful in a way identity and religion is not. You gotta speak English to understand the guys in charge, so you gotta be at least bilingual. And if you and everyone is speaking English anyway, you might as well just use that instead of having a second language that only your people understand. You see it in immigrant populations too, Italian American is a thing for example, but they don't speak Italian.

It's not universal, but in many cases, minority languages die because they are strictly less useful than the dominant language.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.

Content:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 2, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

American English is the most language ever

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Hungarian isn't even a language

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Platystemon posted:

A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.

Content:

North Macedonia making it politically-loaded.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Private Speech posted:

I feel like Luka Doncic is more famous than Melania

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Private Speech posted:

Justinian was born in Dardania tho

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Basically all of them are wrong or controversial it’s supposed to make people mad.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Who's the person representing Albania?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

alex314 posted:

Who's the person representing Albania?

Dua lipa, a British born singer of Albanian/Kosovar background.

Starks fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 2, 2023

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Austria hungry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal