Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Switchback posted:

Lol no, he received the contract and offer letter, he just never opened the email attachment and didn’t realize he had to sign the offer letter and send it back.

So did he just not respond at all to the offer? Like not even an email saying "yes I accept" to which an HR person might tell them to sign the letter and turn it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Real mixed feelings on that. I could definitely see myself never opening an attachment like that. On the other hand, who moves to a new country without having signed something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you got a job offer how on earth are you not opening the attachment

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you got a job offer how on earth are you not opening the attachment

it might be a virus, better do the safe thing and move to Australia instead

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Switchback posted:

Lol no, he received the contract and offer letter, he just never opened the email attachment and didn’t realize he had to sign the offer letter and send it back.

Holy poo poo.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thesaurus posted:

if it could be reworked in to some kind of pyramid, meatloaf themed MLM...

You joke but I have had door-to-door salespeople selling meat on more than one occasion. Their sales pitch was: "Oh hey so we were in the neighbourhood and were talking to your neighbours about our free meat giveaway."

And if you say you weren't interested: "So I guess you're not interested in getting some free farm meat?"

Based on what I was able to learn about it the whole scam is 100% the same as those door-to-door energy sales where they lure you in for a cheap or free sample then lock you into some bizarre, overpriced scheme.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

It was his responsibility but why wouldn’t the company follow up at least once?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Switchback posted:

If I were his wife, I would definitely have divorced the poo poo out of him.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Probably worried he wouldn't sign the papers.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I feel like there has to be more to that story because holy poo poo that's going right into the Hall of Fame of Self-Owns

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

melon cat posted:

You joke but I have had door-to-door salespeople selling meat on more than one occasion. Their sales pitch was: "Oh hey so we were in the neighbourhood and were talking to your neighbours about our free meat giveaway."

And if you say you weren't interested: "So I guess you're not interested in getting some free farm meat?"

Based on what I was able to learn about it the whole scam is 100% the same as those door-to-door energy sales where they lure you in for a cheap or free sample then lock you into some bizarre, overpriced scheme.

whoa hang on, it's farm meat though? shoulda said that in the first place, i'm sick of all this not-farm meat

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Those scammy meat-sales guys can be persistent AF, I had one dude that came into the front office of my shop when I had customers in there at like 7:30am and would not leave. I eventually had to play Mr. Psychotic Mechanic and say ‘what part of “get the gently caress out of my office” are you not comprehending?’ before he would leave.

My customer(who I knew) was trying so hard not to laugh, it was great.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

opengl posted:

Car dealership scam? Refinanced car for more than what I owed

They basically sold the car back to me for 36k. So if I didn’t sign they were going to take the car.

Ask car sales would tell everyone how they did this guy a service.

Dealers are trash, they shoulda just told the guy the don't refinance and go to a bank but why do that when they can buy and resell the car to you and make. 7 grand for an hours worth of paperwork.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

melon cat posted:

This reminds me of the old "back of a truck" speaker scam. Which apparently has its own wikipedia page now...

quote:

The typical white van speaker scam involves one to three individuals, who are usually casually dressed or wearing uniforms. They drive an SUV, minivan or a commercial vehicle (usually a white commercial van, which may be rented inexpensively) that often displays a company logo. To find suitable targets, the van operators set up their con in moderately trafficked areas, such as parking lots, gas stations, colleges, or large apartment complexes. Alternatively, they may target people driving expensive cars and wave them down. The marks (victims) are usually affluent, young people, college students, or others thought to have large amounts of disposable income. The marks may also be foreigners or people who are unfamiliar with typical business transactions in Western countries.

The operators often claim that they work for an audio retailer or audio installer and that, through some sort of corporate error (warehouse operator mistake, bookkeeping mistakes, computer glitch, etc.) or due to the client changing the order after supplies were purchased, they have extra speakers. Sometimes, it is implied that the merchandise may be stolen. For varying reasons they need to dispose of the speakers quickly and are willing to get rid of them at "well below retail" prices. The con artists will repeatedly state the speaker's "value" as anywhere between the equivalent of $1800 and $3500, prices often purportedly verified by showing a website, brochure or a magazine advertisement. Speakers are often given a fictional brand name,[1] sometimes intentionally similar to a well-regarded speaker manufacturer in order to mislead the buyer. Some of these fictional brands have reputable-looking websites which list customer service telephone numbers and support e-mail addresses, but these methods of contact are often dead ends.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My dad fell for one of those speaker scams once. It was when I had just finished college and he was helping me move into my first apartment and came back from the gas station excited about his haul. You could tell just from the box that they were complete junk, and what I unboxed was even worse

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Affinity scams: still BWM.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/02/01/mormon-ponzi-scheme-vegas-fbi

This is one of the stories that was in the docket of investigative journalist Jeff German before he was murdered by a previous subject a couple months back. It's also some excellent longform journalism.

BFC > Bilking Wealthy Mormons: earn 50% by lending money to slip-and-fall victims

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

illcendiary posted:

My dad fell for one of those speaker scams once. It was when I had just finished college and he was helping me move into my first apartment and came back from the gas station excited about his haul. You could tell just from the box that they were complete junk, and what I unboxed was even worse

Same. My dad has gotten scammed by the speaker guys as well as a guy selling a “Versace” jacket out of the back of a truck. I think it’s because he’s an immigrant and that’s how things are done in some countries.

The speakers have lasted 30 years though!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

melon cat posted:

I'd probably fall for it because really being given some hot farm meat is not unappealing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A friend of mine bought a brand new $25k car and tried to return it at a loss the next day because "the windows rattle" (they didn't, he just has chronic, unreasonable buyer's remorse and will find something to wind himself up over). Dealer actually talked him out of it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

A friend of mine bought a brand new $25k car and tried to return it at a loss the next day because "the windows rattle" (they didn't, he just has chronic, unreasonable buyer's remorse and will find something to wind himself up over). Dealer actually talked him out of it.

Don't most states have a 24 hour buyers-remorse law for car purchases?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No. I think new york city does but most other places are you sign for it, it's yours.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Where the hell did he find a brand new car for only $25k?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Ham Equity posted:

Well obviously it fell off the back of the truck, the windows rattled.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

I live in a pretty expensive area and there are car dealerships advertising new cars with specific stock numbers for less than that, including classic BWM add ons like surprisingly expensive floor mats. Its not 2022 anymore.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

DaveSauce posted:

To what end?

Are these individuals scamming church members and taking advantage of the church connection?

Or is it more or less part of the church structure as way to funnel more money in to it?

Honestly as scummy as the Mormon church is, if you just said what was going on without saying who, I'd have guessed Jehova's Witnesses before the Mormons.

edit: I mean the other smart guess would be Scientology, but their financial scam is pretty well known.

In addition to all of the above, LDS is the only post capitalist church that really built itself and adapted itself to figuring out to maintain community while still being capitalist as gently caress with a strong central organization. It is extremely insane and weird the moment you get anywhere near the actual centers of power and what loving monsters it contains. The various megachurches and flavors of evangelical have their own spins on it, but they're all basically in the city state phase of development while the LDS is making nation state plays.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Bad With Money: I'm knocking with my hot farm meat

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Ham Equity posted:

The wild, distant world of 2016.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Switchback posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how this worked out. Like, he was presumably in contact with his new(?) boss about when he would report to work in Australia, where the goddamn office was, etc etc. Did no one at any point go, "hey, so about that offer letter...you gonna sign it or what?".

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Popete posted:

So did he just not respond at all to the offer? Like not even an email saying "yes I accept" to which an HR person might tell them to sign the letter and turn it in.

No. It was a one man operation so no separate HR, but still, he did not reply to say “yes I accept” even though he’d been down there the month before and spent quite a bit of time with the boss working out the plans. The boss specifically said “I took your lack of response as an indicator that you weren’t interested.”

captkirk posted:

Real mixed feelings on that. I could definitely see myself never opening an attachment like that. On the other hand, who moves to a new country without having signed something?

They had planned on moving down under anyway. School fees and healthcare were major reasons why Singapore was an unsustainable place to stay. Him having the job lined up was the push to make it happen.

dividertabs posted:

It was his responsibility but why wouldn’t the company follow up at least once?

This is his basis for indignation and blaming everything on this dickhead he “never should have trusted”

Ham Equity posted:

If I were his wife, I would definitely have divorced the poo poo out of him.

Agents are GO! posted:

Probably worried he wouldn't sign the papers.

Lol

Guinness posted:

I feel like there has to be more to that story because holy poo poo that's going right into the Hall of Fame of Self-Owns

There is slightly more to the story.

The job was setting up a meadery, and Australia got the varroa mite that causes the colony collapse that’s killing all the bees. Aus doesn’t gently caress around with biohazard quarantine, and all honey activities and beehives had to stop and be killed immediately. So mead was suddenly no longer a viable business. If he had signed the offer, he probably would have been terminated after the first month anyway.

I’ll keep y’all posted on the divorce.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Switchback posted:

There is slightly more to the story.

The job was setting up a meadery, and Australia got the varroa mite that causes the colony collapse that’s killing all the bees. Aus doesn’t gently caress around with biohazard quarantine, and all honey activities and beehives had to stop and be killed immediately. So mead was suddenly no longer a viable business. If he had signed the offer, he probably would have been terminated after the first month anyway.

I’ll keep y’all posted on the divorce.

Man, I wish we'd done that here in nz. Instead our biosecurity upped our fees to try and figure out how to control it, half passed it for a few years until it was well established then gave up.

Fees didn't go back down mind you

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Porfiriato posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how this worked out. Like, he was presumably in contact with his new(?) boss about when he would report to work in Australia, where the goddamn office was, etc etc. Did no one at any point go, "hey, so about that offer letter...you gonna sign it or what?".

It was an entire year discussing about this job, including going down to visit 3 times and planning the outfit of the brewery. Company knew his wife had a 3 month notice period and had resigned, but this varroa mite hit during that last month, right after they’d issued the offer (valid for 30 days)

It was probably a huge bullet dodged by the company that he didn’t sign the offer, because the entire mead business model was suddenly ruined in a matter of a few weeks. The brewing facility is in a “red zone” where no bee activity is allowed and all hives had to be destroyed (you can’t even transport honey into or out of the exclusion zone).

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/emergencies/biosecurity/current-situation/varroa-mite-emergency-response

quote:

“We have almost successfully euthanised all managed hives in the red zone, but we are hearing some reports of people attempting to establish, or re-establish bees, which is not allowed under the emergency order,” he said.
“The goal of the Varroa mite Response is the full eradication of the parasite from NSW, which is the best outcome for Australia's $147M honey bee industry, the $14.2B pollination reliant industries and the communities they support.
“Full eradication requires us to euthanise 100% of Varroa hosts, being all European honey bees in the red zones, managed and wild, and to ensure the red zones are free from Varroa mite for a period of time to support a declaration that Australia is free of the mite.”
Euthanising all bees in these areas removes any chance of Varroa mite surviving and spreading undetected through potential future hosts, where incubation of the parasite may be happening.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Upon further review I'm changing my opinion from "BWM by the friend" to "technically BWM by the friend but mostly a scumbag company that found a way to weasel out of a position they didn't want/need to fill after all". If not for the mite problem I'm guessing the offer letter never would have been mentioned again (or would have been brought up as 'hey you need to sign this before you officially start').

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

carrionman posted:

Man, I wish we'd done that here in nz. Instead our biosecurity upped our fees to try and figure out how to control it, half passed it for a few years until it was well established then gave up.

Fees didn't go back down mind you

Of course not, now they need to use that money to try and figure out how to fix it.

Porfiriato posted:

Upon further review I'm changing my opinion from "BWM by the friend" to "technically BWM by the friend but mostly a scumbag company that found a way to weasel out of a position they didn't want/need to fill after all".

I'm also weirded out by the claim that this was a "one-man operation". So he packed up his family and emigrated on the hope of a job with a sole proprietor? Who the gently caress would do that unless they were independently wealthy?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

LanceHunter posted:

This reminds me of the old "back of a truck" speaker scam. Which apparently has its own wikipedia page now...

Someone tried to pull that on me some years back, except it was kitchen knives they were selling and, of course, payment had to be cash. It seemed like a remarkably bad idea to pull out a wallet full of easily stealable cash money in front of several shady-looking guys with a van full of knives, so I politely declined.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Switchback posted:

It was an entire year discussing about this job, including going down to visit 3 times and planning the outfit of the brewery. Company knew his wife had a 3 month notice period and had resigned, but this varroa mite hit during that last month, right after they’d issued the offer (valid for 30 days)

It was probably a huge bullet dodged by the company that he didn’t sign the offer, because the entire mead business model was suddenly ruined in a matter of a few weeks. The brewing facility is in a “red zone” where no bee activity is allowed and all hives had to be destroyed (you can’t even transport honey into or out of the exclusion zone).

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/emergencies/biosecurity/current-situation/varroa-mite-emergency-response

Bwm: Bee wholesale massacre

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Residency Evil posted:

Same. My dad has gotten scammed by the speaker guys as well as a guy selling a “Versace” jacket out of the back of a truck. I think it’s because he’s an immigrant and that’s how things are done in some countries.

The speakers have lasted 30 years though!
at this point, was it really a scam if he's gotten 30 years of good use out of the speakers?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Switchback posted:

My friend recently relocated his wife and toddler from Singapore to Australia so he could “have a chance at his career” and take a job he’d been lining up for the past year. Wife quit her high-paying, low-stress job and they made the move, paying out of pocket for their shipping container at peak COVID shipping rates. He called his new boss upon landing and the boss informed him that he never signed and returned his employment contract, so the offer was rescinded. Now they have no income while they stay with his parents and he still hasn’t found a job 3 months later.

isn't this how the movie Dead Man starts?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DACK FAYDEN posted:

at this point, was it really a scam if he's gotten 30 years of good use out of the speakers?

My dad is a typical GWM/BWM immigrant.

BWM:
Assumes the guys selling speakers out of a van are on his side
Times the market

GWM:
Is a miser in almost all things who has mostly driven salvage title cars he’s bought at auction and fixed.
Getting 30 years out of those speakers

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 2, 2023

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Residency Evil posted:

GWM:
Getting 30 years out of those speakers

White van speakers sound so, so unbelievably bad. I can't imagine suffering with them for 30 years, you could find something infinitely better at a yard sale for 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sloppy posted:

White van speakers sound so, so unbelievably bad. I can't imagine suffering with them for 30 years, you could find something infinitely better at a yard sale for 10 bucks.

Being an audiophile is well proven to be BWM. Embrace the distortion. Love the clipping. Use lovely speakers for 30 years.