Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

deep dish peat moss posted:

Like an idea I've had for a long while now is to make a game that is essentially a living diorama of a wacky cartoon alien city on a strange planet. Very little "game" to it, you just walk around and talk to the inhabitants and learn about their lives and their days. Maybe you can help them make a decision which makes them go to a different location and that makes them participate in an event involving a different character at that location, or you do a favor so they give you an item and you can give that item to someone else for a unique conversation or event - you just poke at the NPCs and talk to them and different fun or novel reactions happen based on when you talked to them or what you said. No "goal" or objective, no leveling up, no quest journal - just a diorama that you can walk around in and interact with.

I'm not going to sit here and assume that I would make some Twitter Indie Darling smash hit if I made this game but it's the exact kind of digital toy or digital "experience" that I think an auteur could create meaningful art in, or that could be an overwhelming success at the right price point despite not doing much of anything at all as a game and not being built as an addictive focus group product. It's pretty much a whole season of a cartoon rolled into one interactive package.

That kind of game you're describing was actually fairly common in the 90s, well, common in the sense that there were very many examples of it, even if they weren't necessarily super popular. Cosmology of Kyoto is really emblematic of that, and so is something like Bad Day on the Midway, Space Bar, Neverhood, Bad Mojo, Eastern Mind: Lost Souls of Tong Nou, etc. purely experiential "games" that are just about moving around a digital space and poking at things to see what they do or what kind of audio-visual reaction you'll get, and establishing some kind of mood or general themes that can be collated and absorbed by the player to reach some greater conclusion about what the game is trying to communicate. In the context of something like Bad Day on the Midway, it had some pretty direct intentions, while stuff like Eastern Mind were incredibly opaque, but they were utterly different games.

It's no coincidence that those kinds of games died with the adventure game genre though, because that's how they were often presented as, as point'n'click games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just realized that is the exact concept behind that one Twitter Indie Darling game that was a Skyrim mod that got made into a full game.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256849671/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1630422065
It even prominently features a review from a twitch streamer that says "An amazing experience"

But it only reached Obra Dinn levels of fame, nothing like Stray or Hi-Fi Rush

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 2, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think you should really check out Cosmology of Kyoto, if you can handle something older, it's pretty much exactly the kind of game you'd appreciate. At the very least check out some playthroughs or footage on YT.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The intermissions in Kentucky Route Zero are also some of the wildest poo poo I've experienced in recent memory, the bar play scene is some next-level poo poo, that ending had me making GBS threads bricks.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was just reading the Wikipedia article about it and hot drat, yeah. Also what more praise does it need than this:

In September 1994, a review by film critic Roger Ebert was published in Wired magazine, where he stated the "richness is almost overwhelming", noting "the resources of this game are limitless", that "no two players would have the same experience" and that he had barely "begun to scratch the surface" of the city despite exploring for two weeks. He stated it was "the most beguiling computer game I have encountered, a seamless blend of information, adventure, humor, and imagination" with "the gruesome side-by-side with the divine." He praised the "hauntingly effective" widescreen graphics, the "vivid facial characteristics" of the characters (describing them as "a cross" between "medieval Japanese art" and "modern Japanimation"), and the voices "filled with personality". He concluded it to be "a wonderful game" where there "is the sense, illusory but seductive, that one could wander this world indefinitely."[9] Later in 2010, he mentioned it in a column on whether video games can be art. After previously arguing that video games are categorically not art, he stated, "In my actual experience, I have played Cosmology of Kyoto, which I enormously enjoyed, and Myst, for which I lacked the patience."[10] Cosmology of Kyoto is the only video game that Ebert is known to have reviewed and enjoyed.[6]

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

I just realized that is the exact concept behind that one Twitter Indie Darling game that was a Skyrim mod that got made into a full game.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256849671/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1630422065
It even prominently features a review from a twitch streamer that says "An amazing experience"

But it only reached Obra Dinn levels of fame, nothing like Stray or Hi-Fi Rush

Not to prove your point, but thanks for reminding me of that one. I'd been meaning to check it out but I forgot it existed!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm with you on the "explore an interact with a strange environment thing" though. I've been playing with the idea of writing an interactive fiction game with a visual map you can navigate and hand drawn, still images of the scenes/characters you come across in a setting with a really dense and alien culture. Just really make something where your interactions aren't limited to violence or explicit problem solving. I really should just draft out a general structure and start working on it because I'm capable of doing the work myself

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have been working on art assets with the intention of doing something exactly like that with them like these cartoon characters or alternately like this unique ai-generated cosmic horror style but I don't know how to do the rest except by slapping it together in rpgmaker or something :blush:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I really like the concept of hosed up, weird characters you come across that are terrifying but not necessarily malevolent. Kind of like Darkseed style, the weird rear end looking dudes aren't necessarily baddies, just hard to comprehend.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't know how to do the rest except by slapping it together in rpgmaker or something :blush:

There are IF engines that let you use visual maps to plot out spaces and interaction trees, along with randomized routes and etc.
My personal goal is to use something like Game Maker though and do some rudimentary scripting to make it easier to randomize and plot out. The IF engine route leads to MASSIVE branching trees that require inordinate amounts of organization. I mean, any way you would go about this would require that, it's probably the hardest part of the concept because you wouldn't just want to make it utterly random which events you come across.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was laughing when reading the wikipedia page about Cosmology of Kyoto because of how similar it is to the notes I had written for the world/plot, like the divine and the demonic being side-by-side and sort of indistinguishable, and a whole cosmic horror story about technology getting so advanced that it angered the star-gods and just running into weird extra-planar hauntings and stuff that aren't necessarily malevolent but just entities following rules and laws beyond mortal comprehension

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was laughing when reading the wikipedia page about Cosmology of Kyoto because of how similar it is to the notes I had written for the world/plot, like the divine and the demonic being side-by-side and sort of indistinguishable, and a whole cosmic horror story about technology getting so advanced that it angered the star-gods and just running into weird extra-planar hauntings and stuff that aren't necessarily malevolent but just entities following rules and laws beyond mortal comprehension

Yeah lol, Cosmology of Kyoto and Bad Day on the Midway are the two games that really made me gravitate towards this being my ideal project ever since I played them like two decades ago. To a lesser extent it was also The Dark Eye, but that one more convinced me that not enough games played with shifting narrative perspectives. It was a game where you played through Edgar Allan Poe stories, once as the perpetrator, and once as the victim. It was fascinating stuff.

I really think there's potential to pose a lot of interesting questions and thought provoking ideas by just giving players what is essentially an interactive art installation to explore through. You can even satisfy the modern crowd by perpetually adding more encounters post-release.

I'm glad someone else has the same dream game idea I do lol.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FrumpleOrz posted:

Best FPS of the post-Doom generation.

A demonstration of the raw gaming power of the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Man, Cosmology of Kyoto is incredibly creepy. Years ago I downloaded it from home of the underdogs and I still remember some of the hosed up scenes in it. Just a collection of yokai and casual violence diorama.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think one of the biggest ways this has manifested was the extreme negative reaction to "walking simulators" that legitimately wanted to do something other than be extremely gamey experiences with reward mechanics to encourage people to play, and instead opted to use interactivity to make art installations that people could partake in at home.
Even extremely massive, popular games like Death Stranding had this reaction - gamers are an astonishingly uncreative breed and for the most part don't actually want to be challenged.

I mean you're basically complaining that a bunch of people who liked video games disliked a type of video game that did something completely different to what they liked in video games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Welcome to the rapture is top 10 most boring games I've played

The witness was cool tho

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

About 80-90% of The Witness was a good game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Love to make multiple insanely long-rear end posts in the video game troll thread

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The witness was cool tho

Count em down

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I don't think you're wrong in the context of AAA games, but there is at least a space in indie games to create games as a type of art and still appeal to the Twitter/Gen Z crowd. Things like for example Undertale - I've never played it and I know little about it but I know it captivated a whole lot of people while being pretty much the exact opposite of a Focus Group product. But I think success in that realm is largely going to come from devs viewing their games not as "games" but as digital toys (think something that innovates the way Minecraft did: there's nothing spectacular about it as a "game" but it was a type of digital toy that had never existed before) or literally just as art or creative expression, like in the case of Undertale - where the whole game is built from the ground up on the idea of being relevant beyond its actual gamey-ness.

the idea of Undertale being the 'exact opposite of a Focus Group product' is lmao

Undertale was basically tailor made to appeal to an already existing (and massive) audience of Homestuck fans, though admittedly that was mostly because Toby Fox was Andrew Hussie's protege. But it's silly to act like Undertale was some quirky indie darling that came out of left field that had no audience - the entire reason the kickstarter even got funded was because Toby Fox aka Radiation was already a popular figure as the lead Homestuck musician.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol did you read Homestuck or something

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The witness was cool tho

I thought The Talos Principle was like the Linux to The Witness's Windows.

Like, better, but less accessible. More impressive, but less visually stimulating.

They're both super similar in my mind, but the witness is like, "look how clever I am! " where the Talos Principle is "How clever do you feel?".

Both explore similar themes, both heavily feature ascension and peeking beyond the veil, but for me, only one of them felt like the author really desperately wanted to show you the cool shrine he'd built in his garden in real life, and tell you how cool and clever he was.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Talos wasn't even inaccesible or unapproachable, there where various mainstream game journalism sites singing its praises. It's just the better game.

edit: And Talos came first, Witness was just the cheap knockoff. Witness is also pretentious, it puffs up a lot with verbal essays on various topics, but it turns out that they're all unrelated and the dev just raided the public domain for whatever sounded good. Talos actually has a coherent theme/topic/thread of thought/narrative going throughout it. This is without even touching the nature of the puzzles themselves.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 2, 2023

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Khanstant posted:

lol did you read Homestuck or something

unfortunately yes. i am deeply ashamed of my past as an idiot teen

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

my top 10 most boring videogames ever?

everybodys gone to to the rapture, or maybe it was what remains of Edith finch, i dunno they are basically the same game
nioh
the order 1886
no mans sky
thirty flights of loving
painkiller
deep rock galactic
dust an elysian tail
ori and the blind forest
the swapper

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JollyBoyJohn posted:

my top 10 most boring videogames ever?

everybodys gone to to the rapture, or maybe it was what remains of Edith finch, i dunno they are basically the same game
nioh
the order 1886
no mans sky
thirty flights of loving
painkiller
deep rock galactic
dust an elysian tail
ori and the blind forest
the swapper

What's your status on playing The Beginners Guide, jbj? Don't tell me you've been goofing off!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

top 10 most boring videogames ever

I Demon's Souls
II Dark Souls
III Dark Souls 2
IV Bloodborne
V Elden Ring
VI DOTA
VII Pokemon [everything about it]
VIII Bayonetta
IX Bayonetta 2
X Blockids

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I liked Edith Finch and The Beginner's Guide, I was meh on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

No Man's Sky is absolutely either boring or relaxing depending what you enjoy and also what you do in the game. I like it in the same way those procedural plant or island generators can be relaxing.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

The Witness and Talos Principle are both amazing games and so different that I don’t understand why people compare them. Oh they’re both 1st person puzzlers that came out around the same time? Who cares

E: oh just remembered they both use Tetris blocks to frustrating effect. Nevermind

giogadi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 2, 2023

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

MrQwerty posted:

A demonstration of the raw gaming power of the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

The 3DO has so many good games!

BattleSport
Bladeforce
Return Fire
PO'ed
Alone in the Dark
Iron Angle of the Apocalypse
Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: The Return
Captain Quasar
Gex
D
Night Trap
Mad Dog II: The Lost Gold
Star Control II

The list goes on!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

No man's sky will be really cool in 20 years when computers exist that can play it without constant hitching and pop in

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the witness would have been 17 times better if it was just the fun line puzzles and not the lame walking around listening to pretentious audio logs.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The most boring game ever is when you’re deciding what game to play and never playing anything.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

The most boring game ever is when you’re deciding what game to play and end up posting Unpopular Videogame Opinions.

:haibrower:

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Gothic 2 is better than any of the Dark Souls games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The most boring game ever is when you’re deciding what game to play and never playing anything.

get really into league of legends and that problem will be solved

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is when I play old, beloved games and jack the difficulty up.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the witness would have been 17 times better if it was just the fun line puzzles and not the lame walking around listening to pretentious audio logs.

Help, Mr Blow put a gun to my head and forced me to click on the tiny hidden out-of-the-way tape recorders with audio logs in my 60 hour puzzle game!!!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

giogadi posted:

Help, Mr Blow put a gun to my head and forced me to click on the tiny hidden out-of-the-way tape recorders with audio logs in my 60 hour puzzle game!!!

sorry i didn't like your garbage island JON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The witness is all right because without it we wouldn't have The Obelisk of Knowledge.