Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Agreed with this. How is Lightning returns?

So far, it's pretty cool. The new battle system is pretty cool, but it's not as quick and snappy as the first two games. It really does feel like a Valkyrie Profile game, which is a good thing, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wow the scene with sazh and vanille in chapter 8 really didn't work with a summon fight placed in the middle lol

sazh goes right from doing donuts with his sick new car to shooting himself in the head??? i have no idea how they were intending that scene to flow with the one before the fight but it did not flow in any way in any direction

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Amppelix posted:

wow the scene with sazh and vanille in chapter 8 really didn't work with a summon fight placed in the middle lol

sazh goes right from doing donuts with his sick new car to shooting himself in the head??? i have no idea how they were intending that scene to flow with the one before the fight but it did not flow in any way in any direction

He didn't shoot himself, it's a fake out. Not wrong about the whiplash, but "Eidolons show up during psychological breakdowns" is already established. I think they probably should've skipped the doing donuts, though.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I could not find them, no. The preview page for the physical CDs lets you play all discs in browser except Disc 8, the jukebox tracks. It's like they were isolating them on CD on purpose to make people buy the set. I would just buy them if they were available digitally.

dang fuckin weird that they put out an 8-disc collection. all the xiv soundtracks are a single blu-ray each and include mp3s on the disc, which is pretty neat if somewhat annoying since i don't have a pc with a bdrom drive

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Lightning Returns is really good. Do as many side quests as possible. I haven't played it since my last post about it but I still intend to finish it sometime within the next couple weeks.

It's probably the best FNC game (but Type-0 remains my favorite FNC game)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If I can't play Lahee (Sokkan Live Performance), then Final Bar is a no sale. :colbert:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I am currently replaying every game in the franchise. I made it to the end of Final Fantasy 3 and I'm really glad they kept the difficulty spike around the Cave of Shadows in the Pixel Remasters. Every previous game in the franchise (being I, II and Final Fantasy Legend (yes i'm counting those)) got piss easy halfway through and just let me autopilot through all of the combat. This difficulty spike, to me, represents people at square realising "yo hey these games we're making don't really have much in the way of gameplay, let's fix that" three years after the first game.

can't wait till i get to FF4 and that realisation gets thrown the gently caress away

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Lightning Returns is really good. Do as many side quests as possible. I haven't played it since my last post about it but I still intend to finish it sometime within the next couple weeks.

It's probably the best FNC game (but Type-0 remains my favorite FNC game)

The only things I can really admire about Type-0 are its whole hog commitment to hilarious Venture Bros. level sociopathy and casual disregard for human life, and the times it let me play as Eight because Eight rules and Type-0 really needed to be socked in the mouth repeatedly and Eight was a wonderful character to do that with.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Playing FF6PR and there's something fishy about this Gerad character...his "I'm not Edgar" palette swap is raising a lot of questions already answered by his palette swap...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I am currently replaying every game in the franchise. I made it to the end of Final Fantasy 3 and I'm really glad they kept the difficulty spike around the Cave of Shadows in the Pixel Remasters. Every previous game in the franchise (being I, II and Final Fantasy Legend (yes i'm counting those)) got piss easy halfway through and just let me autopilot through all of the combat. This difficulty spike, to me, represents people at square realising "yo hey these games we're making don't really have much in the way of gameplay, let's fix that" three years after the first game.

can't wait till i get to FF4 and that realisation gets thrown the gently caress away
4 absolutely has a difficulty spike (it's those loving hellhounds in the Tower)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would have said the entire sealed cave but the hellhounds are also a good pick.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

4 absolutely has a difficulty spike (it's those loving hellhounds in the Tower)

They were unfair bullshit in IVDS. Interesting they appear to be hard in the original game, too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

I would be surprised if the full game didn't have Lyse and at least 1 more Y'shtola

need a 4th 'shtola for a Light Party

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

need a 4th 'shtola for a Light Party

The ultimate team

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I could not find them, no. The preview page for the physical CDs lets you play all discs in browser except Disc 8, the jukebox tracks. It's like they were isolating them on CD on purpose to make people buy the set. I would just buy them if they were available digitally.

That last disc was originally a limited edition bonus if you preordered the OST. I was a little miffed with my partner for a bit because that was supposed to be my Christmas or birthday present but they waited too long to order it for me and missed out. I told them it was a limited item...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I do feel that we've finally come full circle on Type-0 though, where enough of us dislike it that now the game is actually good again.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gologle posted:

I do feel that we've finally come full circle on Type-0 though, where enough of us dislike it that now the game is actually good again.

We shall singlehandedly rehabilitate every subpar Final Fantasy. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nine-gear crow posted:

The only things I can really admire about Type-0 are its whole hog commitment to hilarious Venture Bros. level sociopathy and casual disregard for human life, and the times it let me play as Eight because Eight rules and Type-0 really needed to be socked in the mouth repeatedly and Eight was a wonderful character to do that with.

Also the music. The main theme and arrangements are amazing.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

I was trying to find the jukebox music from FFVIIR digitally. There's this unofficial youtube playlist. Spotify has the VIIR soundtrack but it doesn't include the jukebox music. Some of the tracks are from an older jazz album but some of them are unique to VIIR.

There's a release of the soundtrack on 8 physical CDs that includes the tracks, but for some reason Square made the digital soundtrack an abridged selection that doesn't have the jukebox music. Bizarre. Who the even uses CDs in 2022?
TBH I obtained those tracks through other means if you catch my drift, shame there doesn’t seem to be a legit way to get them digitally.

However, I checked Squenix’s Spotify albums just recently, and to my delight they’ve added the Intergrade soundtrack as well as the FF7R Plus soundtrack, which has 5 hours of music not included in the first OST. I’m flabbergasted that there was that much music not included on an already near 10 hour soundtrack! FF7R rules

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I will always say that Type-0's game design always makes sense as a portable stealth Monster Hunter clone, where a bunch of its design is based on drop in/drop out multiplayer and riding on trains with your psp. MH clones never quite balance well for single player is usually my assumption, though I'm sure there are outliers.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
My strongest memory of FF Type 0 was playing the ps4 port and it's default camera turning speed was faster than the speed of light.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I check out SilvaGunner OST mixes once in awhile and wow this was a trip

https://youtu.be/OG_e8ve0l_w

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ragequit posted:

I'm not gonna be able to unhear that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dual input hold-and-press sections in theatrhythm are destroying me. can't get my head around them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Agents are GO! posted:

FF13 is a good, misunderstood game that I honestly didn’t enjoy and would recommend nobody play it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Allarion posted:

I will always say that Type-0's game design always makes sense as a portable stealth Monster Hunter clone, where a bunch of its design is based on drop in/drop out multiplayer and riding on trains with your psp. MH clones never quite balance well for single player is usually my assumption, though I'm sure there are outliers.

God Eater and Toukiden did okay because they give you relatively competent npc companions. The ones in Toukiden were probably better at the game than me lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hell I played support kusari-gama in Toukiden and let the NPCs do the heavy lifting and that worked well

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Ragequit posted:

:eyepop:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm playing Crystal Project and it's pretty good. If FFV is one of your favs because of character building and job poo poo, you may want to give it a go. The environments are voxels which really turns me off. Story is kind of whatever. Exploration is real fun in a way that you don't get too often. The job system is neat and you can get some really good combinations going.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Playing more of the Theatrhythm demo, I've gotten more comfortable playing with the triggers and sticks, but it makes the controller just a tad uncomfortable to hold for long period of time since my index fingers are constantly resting on the shoulder buttons while also trying to keep the thumb sticks covered.

but

what if

you had a spare $200 dollars

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Vitamean posted:

Playing more of the Theatrhythm demo, I've gotten more comfortable playing with the triggers and sticks, but it makes the controller just a tad uncomfortable to hold for long period of time since my index fingers are constantly resting on the shoulder buttons while also trying to keep the thumb sticks covered.

but

what if

I extremely wish it was on PC first so I could. Well, first so I could play on Deck portably because I prefer its feel to the Switch. But also so when I play I can use my series 2 controller with the paddles and keep my thumbs on the sticks. I may yet emulate it, who cares I already gave my money to the $100 everything edition. If it's one of the Switch games that emulate well on Deck that'll be even nicer.

jokes posted:

FF13 is a good, misunderstood game that I honestly didn’t enjoy and would recommend nobody play it

It can be pretty fun but I very didn't enjoy the back third and most of the complaints people tossed at it are actual annoying bad things about it. It's better than its reputation but that doesn't make the haters wrong

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

parasyte posted:

I extremely wish it was on PC first so I could. Well, first so I could play on Deck portably because I prefer its feel to the Switch. But also so when I play I can use my series 2 controller with the paddles and keep my thumbs on the sticks. I may yet emulate it, who cares I already gave my money to the $100 everything edition. If it's one of the Switch games that emulate well on Deck that'll be even nicer.

I've seen some posts elsewhere of people getting the arcade game running on Deck, but I don't know a ton about the setup required.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Vitamean posted:

but

what if

lol i was thinking the same thing playing the demo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Heran Bago posted:

I'm playing Crystal Project and it's pretty good. If FFV is one of your favs because of character building and job poo poo, you may want to give it a go. The environments are voxels which really turns me off. Story is kind of whatever. Exploration is real fun in a way that you don't get too often. The job system is neat and you can get some really good combinations going.
sounds like someone doesn't like hunting for crystals, which is the most fun you can possibly have

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I tried Crystal Project but I wasn't a fan of how the game's default difficulty really wants you to run aggro and buff management for trash mobs. Conversely I think the boss fights were a highlight of the game for me but man when there's already encounters all over the place making me have to sit and ponder every little dinkus between save points really grated at me.

Maybe one day I'll give it another shot but there's so much other stuff I wanna play.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Theatrhythm demo owns so much. The full game even has tracks from the FFVII remake.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Vitamean posted:

I've seen some posts elsewhere of people getting the arcade game running on Deck, but I don't know a ton about the setup required.

oh, nice. i found it, not sure if i'll bother but maybe. tide me over until release

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Holding out hope that Theatrhythm comes to the PC. Would be fun to build a controller for it and add it to my rhythm game setup!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Agents are GO! posted:

go ahead, tell me revenant wings was worth the $40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heran Bago posted:

I wouldn't discount the FFXI influence there. Many of the jobs have elements that come from that game too