Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

slurm posted:

We have a guy who gets furious if he can't work 0600-2000 every single day. He was angling for 0400-2200 iirc

What? How tf do you live on three or four hours of sleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
You don't, not for long.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Outrail posted:

Depends on what scares you the most

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

The CEO/owner of my first job did this, and was proud of it. Every higher up told us all it really meant was he was utterly useless after about noon and would go in and out of intermittent microsleep fugue states where he was unable to approve or do anything useful until he went home.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Xlorp posted:

Depends on what scares you the most

I did this and after a month my skin felt like a parasitic entity attached to my feeble flesh.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm supposed to do inventory at the end of the month or the beginning of the next. No big deal. Yesterday I had my health check and needed to clean the brewhouse. I was also really beat and asked if I could put it off until today. I'm not using any materials today, so that's okay. The restaurant manager is fine with it. Okay. Last night I suddenly wasn't feeling great after getting home. Just a headache and a stuffy nose. I shoot off a text and boss says take it easy so I sleep in today and wake up feeling fine. I make my way to work and ask the restaurant manager about the inventory sheet. "Just a minute.". Uhoh. I hear this every time I check in over the next few hours.

Now he's saying he won't be able to print it out until 17:30. I asked if we should just do it tomorrow. No. It's better we get it done today. THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU PRINT IT YESTERDAY OR THIS MORNING? Dude seriously needs to learn how to prep things.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Update: He printed it out an hour ahead of schedule. It's not the biggest deal but he always does this. Just print the goddamn thing out the day before or whatever! It's not like it's gonna go bad!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm doing inventory and realized one of the unopened hop bags had literally nothing printed on it. Fortunately, I knew exactly what it was. Normally it'd be whatever but the supplier we got it from is such a clown shoe rear end operation I'm not surprised. At least they stopped mixing leftover older hops with newer ones and delivering decade old bags of malt. You still have to check with them though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Outrail posted:

Amphetamines, for awhile

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

You don't, not for long.

Nah, 4 hours is my minimum but I prefer 5/6, not too bad

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I do miss working four tens. Three day weekend every week!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Today it is 1.30pm and I am just about to log on and start my theoretically 9-5 job. Flexi is good and more people should have it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Today it is 1.30pm and I am just about to log on and start my theoretically 9-5 job. Flexi is good and more people should have it.

Right now my schedule is pretty flexible. I guess I'd normally start at 9 tomorrow but I have nothing to do so I'll probably get there at around noon.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Eight days of strike starting next Wednesday unless something happens.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sorbus posted:

Eight days of strike starting next Wednesday unless something happens.

School bus drivers in Alaska (Teamsters) dropped their kids off at school, then immediately went on strike. Every single parent in a district the size of West Virginia had to emergency organize picking their kids up that afternoon.

Good for them. gently caress republican school boards.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When my sister was a student teacher the district she was at went on strike, as they didn’t have a levy passed since the 80’s and things reached a breaking point, and the solution they wanted to try at first was bunch classes together and have the student teachers teach.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

blackmet posted:

My department had basically unlimited voluntary OT for about, oh, 4 years.

I generally did maybe 4-6 hours a week, usually on a Saturday morning or I'd stay after everyone else left on a weeknight a couple days a week. And a fair amount of time, not even that.

She was probably working 60-75 hours a week and skipping lunch and breaks. When she did this for an extended period, I would get asked the world's most basic questions that even my newest associate could have answered without help. I even flat out told her that she wasn't an effective partner when she worked that much.

She eventually got written up for screwing up a report hardcore and texting a subordinate of my manager on the weekend to ask a question that was completely unimportant, didn't involve the rep, and easily answered by pulling up the procedure.

Now she's in a different group that works with ours. Most of the requests that come in from her are at 10PM. Luckily, she mostly dumps stuff into a SharePoint site and we just take care of the requests in the morning.

This is why you limit yourself sometimes.

Oh man, unlimited overtime was a trip. In my last company we had the option to work four 10 hour days or five eight hour days and then optional Saturday time if the company "needed" people. However, we were all encouraged to work ten hours a day, five days a week and then at least four hours on Saturday. People built their entire personal budgets around the idea they'd never work under 50 hours a week if not more, and everything over 40 hours was time-and-a-half.

I refused to spend more time than I had to at work and would only do a 40 hour week and take on four hours of OT on occasion. My wife rarely wakes up before noon on weekends and so I would usually get home around the time she got out of bed on those Saturdays I worked (we started at 6AM). That attitude pissed off so many people in management because we billed the government by the manhour worked, so me just being at a desk for a few extra hours was a boon to the company. I didn't need to do anything in that time, just dick around on the internet. The problem was that I was bored out of my mind an hour into the day most of the time and the thought of overtime filled me with dread, even if it would be more money in my pocket. Walking out at 2:30 in the afternoon and having time to do whatever I wanted was far more appealing.

Johnny Truant posted:

Nah, 4 hours is my minimum but I prefer 5/6, not too bad

That's me, I get up at 3 and go to sleep around 8:30 or 9. I thought I would have more trouble with the schedule as I got older, but I'm eight years into it and I'm not planning on changing.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Got a bunch of client/vendor VIP's today so were all asked to not enter through the front door and instead use the side entrance. Heaven forbid someones gets sight of the help.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Super Waffle posted:

Got a bunch of client/vendor VIP's today so were all asked to not enter through the front door and instead use the side entrance. Heaven forbid someones gets sight of the help.

VIPs: *Christ no wonder this place is going under there's no one working here*

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Subject: Difficult News to Share

quote:

I have difficult news. We must let go approximately 100 employees across the business and, unfortunately, your role has been eliminated. Today will be your last day.

While we remain a high-growth business, we failed to fully anticipate the speed and severity of the economic downturn, and we overhired. We took a range of measures over the past several months to drive down costs before making this decision, but we must now confront the economic reality and reduce headcount.

I know this is hard to read and may be painful and stressful. Your Executive Leader and HR Business Partner will discuss the specifics of your separation from the company in a personal Zoom call with you later today, with the invite coming from a member of the HR team.

Please stay home today and we’ll share more details soon. You will have access to Zoom and Google Workspace through the end of your notification meeting. If you’re based in Seattle, your key card has been turned off. Don’t worry about any work. If you’re a people manager we’ll be reaching out to your direct reports soon.

We’ll be offering you severance, healthcare, job placement services, and mental health services to help you through this transition.

I’m truly grateful to you for all you have done to help build [company].

-Robert

And the day after my application for a new apartment gets accepted! :)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did they signal this might be happening or was it a totally out of the blue shafting?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress you, Robert!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

slurm posted:

We have a guy who gets furious if he can't work 0600-2000 every single day. He was angling for 0400-2200 iirc

Wow, how'd you get Vince McMahon hired at your company? :vince:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Detheros posted:

Wow, how'd you get Vince McMahon hired at your company? :vince:

He didn't say he gets furious if other people can't do so as well. Or if they sneeze in his presence.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 2, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

YeahTubaMike posted:

This doesn't seem like a very high-velocity strategy to me, nor is it excellently executed!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

How many times do I have to say it?

Gotta

Go

FAST!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

goatface posted:

Did they signal this might be happening or was it a totally out of the blue shafting?

No, this wasn't even the first wave of layoffs! If you look at my post history in his thread, you can see it coming. 100 people got laid off today, including my supervisor, and while I'm not happy that this happened to her or anything, I'm definitely relieved that I didn't just get laid off because I was low-key too dumb and/or lazy to continue working there.

The overhiring was absolutely out of control, and for a solid four months, it was blind leading the blind, because the entire QA team got hired in late March (me) or late April (everyone else).

Tomn posted:

This doesn't seem like a very high-velocity strategy to me, nor is it excellently executed!

I know right? smdh

And tl;dr:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Robert is such a great name for clueless mid-high level manager.

Don't be a Robert

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Be a Bob instead

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I do miss working four tens. Three day weekend every week!

I work nights at Amazon and doing Four Tens makes me never want to work a five day work week ever again. I'd prefer four eights if I could get it obviously.

Angling to get on a Three Twelves shift and have more weekend than week.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

That's me, I get up at 3 and go to sleep around 8:30 or 9. I thought I would have more trouble with the schedule as I got older, but I'm eight years into it and I'm not planning on changing.

When my sleep isn't hosed up by having to drive me partner to/from the hospital (she works there, only one car, and our winter weather is not conducive to biking rn) yup I'm like 11/12 until 4, maybe 430am. Getting poo poo done in the AM is the loving jam.

I do play catch-up on the weekend though, waking up normally, dicking around on my phone for like 30 then going the fuuuuuck back to sleep is my favourite weekend activity.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Johnny Truant posted:

When my sleep isn't hosed up by having to drive me partner to/from the hospital (she works there, only one car, and our winter weather is not conducive to biking rn) yup I'm like 11/12 until 4, maybe 430am. Getting poo poo done in the AM is the loving jam.

I do play catch-up on the weekend though, waking up normally, dicking around on my phone for like 30 then going the fuuuuuck back to sleep is my favourite weekend activity.

I get up at 3 so I can walk the dog and then run before logging in for six. I can't sleep more than six hours, even dead drunk. I've legit thought my wife was dead because 2PM would roll around and I hadn't heard her move all day and she had been in bed by 10. No idea how someone stays out that long.

The guy who replaced me on a bunch of my vendors is using shorthand in emails and so now I'm CC'd on a bunch of "Pls let me knw what is next" communications and I'm realizing I probably should have vetted his communication skills a bit better.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

I get up at 3 so I can walk the dog and then run before logging in for six. I can't sleep more than six hours, even dead drunk. I've legit thought my wife was dead because 2PM would roll around and I hadn't heard her move all day and she had been in bed by 10. No idea how someone stays out that long.

Yeah a good buddy of mine can't sleep more than 4 hours in one go, but he makes the most of it

Sucks that dementia is correlated with amount/lack of sleep, but eh, can't do anything about that so

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

No MLK quote.

3/10

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

:emptyquote:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

YeahTubaMike posted:

God I can’t believe how hard people are pounding the drum on a still non-existent recession as an excuse to cut people

(I can actually totally believe it)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

COPE 27 posted:

A lot of recruiters will be dumbfounded that I don't want to take a salary cut to change jobs, because it doesn't look good to only focus on salary.

Like dude I have a job already if you want me to change you need to sell me on something better.

I legitimately don't understand this. The money is the reason people do jobs. People do a job so they can take the money and do other things they enjoy in life after paying for necessities and comforts.

A company is there to make money. How a company tells me I matter is by paying me. How a company tells me I don't mean gently caress all is by giving me a title or a pat on the back and not paying me.

My priorities for a job are pretty much only how much I would enjoy doing it (including the job itself, commute, and bullshit) and how much I am being paid to do it. To pretend otherwise is just lying or some kind of con.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 3, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Another recruiter email, gushing about my qualifications and "experience portfolio" and then try to push a Jr engineering job on me.
Something about that isn't connecting.

Edit:. Not even a contract recruiter. They work for the outfit directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

BitBasher posted:

I legitimately don't understand this. The money is the reason people do jobs. People do a job so they can take the money and do other things they enjoy in life after paying for necessities and comforts.

A company is there to make money. How a company tells me I matter is by paying me. How a company tells me I don't mean gently caress all is by giving me a title or a pat on the back and not paying me.

My priorities for a job are pretty much only how much I would enjoy doing it (including the job itself, commute, and bullshit) and how much I am being paid to do it. To pretend otherwise is just lying or some kind of con.

I suspect the theory that recruiters are trying to sell is that while you may be making less now, if you get promoted you can end up making more later. And how do you get promoted? By showing that you're keen and full of mustard and focused on things like culture fit and personal growth opportunities and the corporate mission statement and all the various intangibles that mark you out as a good team player, rather than something as pedestrian as your salary. If you don't, you might end up being stuck in your current position forever and where's your upward mobility then?

There might also be a certain degree of classism involved too - someone whose trust fund paid for their Harvard degree can afford to genuinely care about the intangibles over their salary, and doing so may be a sign in certain management circles about whether or not a job candidate is the "right sort."