Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's almost like having everything be shop based is loving awful.

I've got an idea: what if we gave a guaranteed emperor's gift at the end of every mission. Then - and here's the crazy part - have how well you did in the mission could improve the quality of the gift from a base level. Say you picked up a bunch of scriptures, that could give you a bonus to the gear quality. If you were really feeling generous you could even give out more than one piece of gear in the box. Plus, it would give you an easy hook to add additional ways of boosting final gear quality later. Imagine if special monsters might drop, I dunno, chaos taint? Chaos Dice? Something like that, that boost your final gear quality. If we REALLY wanted to go nuts we could even put in some way for the gear to be broken down into the crafting materials that you currently have to scour the map for which let's face it isn't very fun.

Radical poo poo, I know, it's a pity all of this is impossible.

Ah well, if you'll excuse me I need to go refresh my 3rd party plug in to see if the emperor has blessed me with a good store roll this hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat dude tell us how you really feel.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's almost like having everything be shop based is loving awful.

I've got an idea: what if we gave a guaranteed emperor's gift at the end of every mission. Then - and here's the crazy part - have how well you did in the mission could improve the quality of the gift from a base level. Say you picked up a bunch of scriptures, that could give you a bonus to the gear quality. If you were really feeling generous you could even give out more than one piece of gear in the box. Plus, it would give you an easy hook to add additional ways of boosting final gear quality later. Imagine if special monsters might drop, I dunno, chaos taint? Chaos Dice? Something like that, that boost your final gear quality. If we REALLY wanted to go nuts we could even put in some way for the gear to be broken down into the crafting materials that you currently have to scour the map for which let's face it isn't very fun.

Radical poo poo, I know, it's a pity all of this is impossible.

Ah well, if you'll excuse me I need to go refresh my 3rd party plug in to see if the emperor has blessed me with a good store roll this hour.

VT2 came out five years ago, therefore, this system is worse. Thank you

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Corrupted gear a’la chaos rising for DoW2 would be an interesting addition. Higher-quality than base level items, but have negative repercussions- for example increased damage taken while downed or higher % of monstrosities spawning.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I want to see what bugs would be introduced if they did nothing but guarantee an item drop after every mission.

Infinitely spawning dogs? 100% crash rate on loading into a mission? Melt my GPU? Pour sugar in my gas tank and gently caress my sister?

I want to find out.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Valtonen posted:

Corrupted gear a’la chaos rising for DoW2 would be an interesting addition. Higher-quality than base level items, but have negative repercussions- for example increased damage taken while downed or higher % of monstrosities spawning.

World of Warcraft did this during the Battle for Azeroth expansion. Items would include a stat that added corruption, anywhere from 10 to like 50. Your character would incur random stats or effects based on your total corruption level. You could also stack corruption resistance and, over time, a passive baseline corruption resistance would increase. You could also just rip the corruption off an item (and lose the corresponding boon) so players could be cowards manage and fine-tune their corruption gear.

Just read through this insanity, it rules so much https://www.wowhead.com/guide/corrupted-items-overview-titan-purification-corruption-resistance

Random health loss? Mobility loss? Ghosts? Hallucinations? It was so, so much fun

I loved it, but it was not well received and so hard to balance that they kinda gave up and just let everyone be insanely powerful for the rest of the expansion which was only a handful of months away. I was playing an Arms warrior at the time which meant I had passively buffed my attack speed of like 300%. I was an unstoppable walking blender.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They definitely need to bring back reds because those kept me going in VT2 for years, unique weapon skins and character skins would be amazing. They have so many little hanging doodads too so there's literally hundreds of hours of content if the system was sane and not absurdly grindy.

They'd need to renovate the entire concept of the store to do it because it's a really loving dumb idea to begin with. Give back crafting of weapons that you want like in VT2 and loot chests because at least you knew what you needed to do to get a chance at reds. Make ordo dockets translate straight into crafting materials so you don't sit on them at end game. Remove the loving random aspect of weapon power like you should be able to pay resources to get a full power weapon without any randomness at all--same with stats give me a flat fee to get what i want so i can enjoy the loving game then experiment later with the resources i get while playing more.

Whoever ventured away from the tried and true VT2 loot system needs to be fired.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It does seem like fatshark likes to try reinventing the wheel in their games constantly, in VT2 they chiseled a oblong wheel down to something that resembles a circle, but in darktide they started over with a triangle shaped wheel.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm reminded of Diablo 3 at launch, where I first learned about the concept of spacing out rewards progressively further apart. Like at level 1 in a diablo game, so much of the crap that drops will be upgrades. In real time, you will see an upgrade every few minutes. As you play more and more, upgrades become further spaced out - getting an upgrade to drop every 15-20 mins instead of 3-5 minutes, etc. At max level, it could be hours of playtime before you saw an item that even had the POTENTIAL to be an upgrade, much less an actual upgrade for you. This is part of why the population cratered so quickly after launch.

When they redesigned the loot system from the group up, they correctly identified "loot upgrades" as a driving motivator for play, and made it so even with the lowest drop bonuses possible, you'll still find good items pretty consistently - meaning you've always got a carrot to chase, because the RNG will never be bad enough that you go hours without saying anything drop that could potentially help - all the way up to the extreme end of the game's treadmill.

Darktide saw the carrot dangling in front of players in other games and said, what if we put the carrot in an underwater vault 20 miles from the player, and every hour they can check a chome extension to see if the door is open

disbest
Jun 16, 2005

Pillbug

apostateCourier posted:

Please don't do this. Run non-grim missions instead.

If every mission at my current difficulty exclusively has grimoires as the secondary then I'm not going to go up or down a difficulty just to find one without. I'm just going to keep shoving paper in my mouth.

Also, if there are 2 missions at my chosen difficulty and the non-grim one is the same map I just played then I'm going to do the other one just for variety's sake.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm reminded of Diablo 3 at launch, where I first learned about the concept of spacing out rewards progressively further apart. Like at level 1 in a diablo game, so much of the crap that drops will be upgrades. In real time, you will see an upgrade every few minutes. As you play more and more, upgrades become further spaced out - getting an upgrade to drop every 15-20 mins instead of 3-5 minutes, etc. At max level, it could be hours of playtime before you saw an item that even had the POTENTIAL to be an upgrade, much less an actual upgrade for you. This is part of why the population cratered so quickly after launch.

When they redesigned the loot system from the group up, they correctly identified "loot upgrades" as a driving motivator for play, and made it so even with the lowest drop bonuses possible, you'll still find good items pretty consistently - meaning you've always got a carrot to chase, because the RNG will never be bad enough that you go hours without saying anything drop that could potentially help - all the way up to the extreme end of the game's treadmill.

Darktide saw the carrot dangling in front of players in other games and said, what if we put the carrot in an underwater vault 20 miles from the player, and every hour they can check a chome extension to see if the door is open

It's kind of amazing that Blizzard's games have been as successful as they have, given how horrendously bad their game design philosophy is. Like the idea that getting upgrades isn't fun unless the player is constantly showered in absolute garbage, to make the upgrades stand out - a philosophy they were very vocal about and that now plagues countless games. I'm sure they werent the first to do it, but they were definitely the most vocal early proponent of basing your entire game design philosophy around things like measured addiction engagement metrics defined by dopamine release or whatever.

So actually no I guess it's not amazing that they've been successful since they've been developing games under the addiction model since at least some early point in WoW.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

So actually no I guess it's not amazing that they've been successful since they've been developing games under the addiction model since at least some early point in WoW.

Yeah. In stuff like Diablo 3 I don't care since half of the gameplay is pulling a slot machine every time you kill a monster. That;'s the fun of gambling without enormous losses. But with WoW you are paying $15/mo and that means they are developing systems for no reason other than to keep you subbed. Like mechanics where they cap your progress weekly, so you can "max out" in one night and then you're still paying for six days of game time while you play Elden Ring instead

I didn't care in VT2 either because I was constantly getting to pull on the slot machine and I could craft what I needed pretty easily.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

DT loot system feels like someone said, "i have a new idea for the loot system" and instead of discussing it they just pulled the trigger and never thought about it again.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why can't loot just drop from enemies as you're playing? Give me loot piñatas

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Arghy posted:

DT loot system feels like someone said, "i have a new idea for the loot system" and instead of discussing it they just pulled the trigger and never thought about it again.

You joke but I'd put good money on this being the case.

Like it clearly wasn't the system they wanted, they designed something with attachments and poo poo. That would have been way easier to use as a loot system because you can space out microupgrades easier.

VT2 is better but it was not perfect and should not have been ported overwholesale. At the endgame you had all the orange items you probably wanted yes but then all that was left was trying to get the precise modifiers you wanted, which was just a matter of pulling a level enough times to do it. Most of us have/had enough crafting supplies to not even think about it but not every player had that. VT 1 ironically did this better by letting you attempt to spend resources on incrementally improving your items.

If I had to rewrite either loot system I'd start with the following:

*Every successful mission should make your chosen item more powerful directly or indirectly.

*This increase should be measurable and feel significant.

*Differnet playstyles should demand different item traits.

*It should take 30-40 hours to 'perfect' an item and it should be 'near-perfect' for significantly longer.

*A character should be able to start down the road of a given playstyle whenever they want - there should be no barrier to entry, only barrier to efficacy.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I keep getting vets that silently designate themselves as the kill king and end up getting mobbed cuz they're tunnel visioned on shooting down specials. It's been really frustrating.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Played on a 4 vet team on the mission where you have to defend the train at the end. Most of the mission was actually quite tough, since none of us had anything particularly well suited to bulwarks equipped, but the ending was so easy, nothing but huge open spaces where we could completely mow everything down at a distance. There's some dialogue I had never heard before where one character suggests deserting and another slaps him down, which was funny. Now I need to play on a 4 ogryn team

Also, I really can't figure out what role the chain axe is supposed to fill. It's cool but it just seems worse than the chainsword in every significant way?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Played on a 4 vet team on the mission where you have to defend the train at the end. Most of the mission was actually quite tough, since none of us had anything particularly well suited to bulwarks equipped, but the ending was so easy, nothing but huge open spaces where we could completely mow everything down at a distance. There's some dialogue I had never heard before where one character suggests deserting and another slaps him down, which was funny. Now I need to play on a 4 ogryn team

Also, I really can't figure out what role the chain axe is supposed to fill. It's cool but it just seems worse than the chainsword in every significant way?

In the most recent giant bug fix patch they changed the chainaxe so it now has some particular synergy with some specific blessings that makes it pretty good, but its still probably on the low end of weapons. I'll try to find the reddit post about it.

edit: found it https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/10l2h5m/psa_now_that_thrust_works_with_chain_weapons/

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
chainaxe is for corn enthusiasts.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Mendrian posted:

You joke but I'd put good money on this being the case.

Like it clearly wasn't the system they wanted, they designed something with attachments and poo poo. That would have been way easier to use as a loot system because you can space out microupgrades easier.

VT2 is better but it was not perfect and should not have been ported overwholesale. At the endgame you had all the orange items you probably wanted yes but then all that was left was trying to get the precise modifiers you wanted, which was just a matter of pulling a level enough times to do it. Most of us have/had enough crafting supplies to not even think about it but not every player had that. VT 1 ironically did this better by letting you attempt to spend resources on incrementally improving your items.

If I had to rewrite either loot system I'd start with the following:

*Every successful mission should make your chosen item more powerful directly or indirectly.

*This increase should be measurable and feel significant.

*Differnet playstyles should demand different item traits.

*It should take 30-40 hours to 'perfect' an item and it should be 'near-perfect' for significantly longer.

*A character should be able to start down the road of a given playstyle whenever they want - there should be no barrier to entry, only barrier to efficacy.

This is the funny thing because literally anything would have been better than what we currently got and even the slightest bit of discussion would have laid bare the problems. It's boggling but likely they just made it work for launch and pushed it aside to fix all the other broken poo poo and figured they'd fix it later. Even for early access it's bad.

Even for micro transaction it doesn't work because we can't buy any in game weapons--sure you can buy some skins but i've never noticed anyone using a paid cosmetic skin. You can't even show it off at the end screen because the stances show default weapons too haha like who the gently caress did this. Red weapons glowed and you instantly recognized hey this person has something unique, same with cosmetics--you could toggle 3rd person and admire your awesome cosmetic skin but beyond the loading lobby no one will really get a chance to notice.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Chain Axe does better single target vs the chain sword with better ripper performance so it's nice vs carapace or for one shotting pox walkers; chain sword's faster handling overall and both will do you fine on a autogun build

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Why can't loot just drop from enemies as you're playing? Give me loot piñatas

Love nothing more than seeing party members stop mid-wave to stare at the floor and consider whether to pick up the trash that just fell out of the thing they hit.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Has anyone seen a 20% toughness curio? the highest one i have is 17% and i have literally not seen a 20% one ever.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

toughness max is 17%, health is 21% as far as i know

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

ijyt posted:

Love nothing more than seeing party members stop mid-wave to stare at the floor and consider whether to pick up the trash that just fell out of the thing they hit.

If I were designing the loot system:
Have enemies drop the weapons they're carrying, but do away with mission difficulties and make enemy strength contingent on where on Atoma you are. More corrupted locations could have stronger enemies/loot, and maybe cool environmental effects like gigantic mushrooms sprouting out of the ground. also take Atoma Prime and rename it Vvardenfell

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

uncalled for! posted:

If I were designing the loot system:
Have enemies drop the weapons they're carrying, but do away with mission difficulties and make enemy strength contingent on where on Atoma you are. More corrupted locations could have stronger enemies/loot, and maybe cool environmental effects like gigantic mushrooms sprouting out of the ground. also take Atoma Prime and rename it Vvardenfell

:hmmyes:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm sure they werent the first to do it, but they were definitely the most vocal early proponent of basing your entire game design philosophy around things like measured addiction engagement metrics defined by dopamine release or whatever.
WoW was intended as a more newbie / normie-friendly version of Everquest. Everquest pushed this philosophy to 11. To the point that a large chunk of the original dev team were top-tier EQ poopsockers that Blizzard hired.

So Blizzard actually toned down the addiction abuse to make its most successful game ever.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 2, 2023

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

Nah, you just hoover it up and at the end of the mission it shows you all the loot you got.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

While we're discussing improvements...

Make the current modifiers (lights out, dogs, high intensity, low intensity, scripts, grims, etc etc) options that the host can choose to add to a given mission. Adding one or more would raise or lower the difficulty, and thus the rewards, based on how many and what types. Yes this could make MM a nightmare, but oh well.

Release a dedicated server and allow perma lobbies. Let players actually host solo games. Mod support!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grognan posted:

chainaxe is for corn enthusiasts.

:hmmyes:

checks out

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Low Intensity missions giving increased rewards is the greatest design success in this game and I'm sure it's by accident

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

:yeah: it's there as a little extra incentive for the people who find low-intensity missions boring. it also makes logical sense within the setting, since the inquisitor pays everyone in bottlecaps anyway

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's also a good way to get people to try higher level difficulties as you know going in it'll be a bit less crazy. It's honestly a really neat idea of a modifier.

sushibandit posted:

While we're discussing improvements...

Make the current modifiers (lights out, dogs, high intensity, low intensity, scripts, grims, etc etc) options that the host can choose to add to a given mission. Adding one or more would raise or lower the difficulty, and thus the rewards, based on how many and what types. Yes this could make MM a nightmare, but oh well.

Release a dedicated server and allow perma lobbies. Let players actually host solo games. Mod support!

This would be a nightmare to balance. Imo they do really need to take a page from DRG and just let people decide the difficulty levels, and just change up the map selection and modifiers. May be more likely to happen once they have more map variety now though.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Make every enemy drop a loot box and you have hold E to pick them up. You can only open loot boxes one by one and it plays a 10 second unskippable opening animation each time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want them to give me access to all the prisoner clothes on the same character so I can put both the green shirt and yellow pants on my Harry DuBois ogryn

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Y'all have a problem with this Harry Dubois thing ngl

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Evil Kit posted:

Fine, I'll just name my Ogryn something like Lenny, HasanAbi, or Lizzo

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mine is named Cupcake

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

What’s the problem and who else is part of the yall here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

For a universe/game that is primarily centered around painted miniatures, I'm surprised you can't just select your own colors for clothing.

Keep the textures/designs of outfits the same (so checkered stuff is checkered, etc), but have an in game servitor tailor that allows you to color swap clothes.