Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Larry Cum Free posted:

Came across this gem on Twitter today

https://twitter.com/abbyvesoulis/status/1620930207812325376

I'm actually a level 80 Dragonborn and the head of the fighter's guild and mage's college and prefer to be addressed as such. :mad:

Please give that man the respect his title of True Gamer affords, not many are so dedicated to their craft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:discourse:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Big lol at people in the replies going "he just needs to step out of his shell to chase his dream" like that's the issue here.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I’m all for normalizing the idea that you should ask people about their hobbies to get to know them instead of asking about their job, but please do not demand that people respect your hobby, dude.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for getting upset when my girlfriend nearly started a kitchen fire?

quote:

I am 30/m, homeowner. I had been with my girlfriend, 25/f, for about 8 months when we decided to try living together. So we had been living together for 2 months when this happened. We both work full-time and she's also in grad school.

She is extremely scatterbrained, absent-minded, and messy. She was cooking a soup on the stove and apparently went in the other room to do homework, and at some point, she fell asleep on the sofa.

So when I got home, I walked into the kitchen, and most of the water had boiled off the soup and it had started smoking.

I will describe both my reaction and her reaction as accurately as I possibly remember, whether it makes me look like an rear end in a top hat or not. Because I want to get an honest answer on whether or not I was an rear end in a top hat.

I was infuriated because we live in an area that has forest fires, I almost lost the house I grew up in because of a forest fire, and it could potentially cause devastation. So when I saw what was going on I started yelling.

I yelled at her until she woke up. I said "what the gently caress do you think you are doing?" She said she didn't mean to fall asleep and I said, "You almost burn my house down and you think "I didn't mean to" is an okay excuse?" She said she was sorry and I said that didn't cut it. I said from now on, if she wants to use my kitchen, she's not allowed to leave the room while there is a flame going on the stove. She said she did not like being talked to like a child and I replied, "act like a child, get treated like one."

That was the last thing I said and I saw an instant change come over her. She left the room went to go clean up in the kitchen. After a few minutes I felt sorry and went to help her clean up and she said it was fine she'd take care of it. I went in the bedroom to get changed, and after a few minutes I saw her car pulling out and her leaving. I was glad she left because I was still pretty angry so it would give us some time where we didn't have to look at each other.

Night came and I didn't hear from her and I texted and then called to see if she was okay, no reply. I then started calling some of her friends and family members, and then I got a call from her stating she was okay and asked me not to contact her family members. I went to sleep, got up, went to work, came home. When I came home from work, all of her things were gone. I tried to call her and I was blocked on every form of communication. I haven't heard from her since then and it was several weeks ago.

What I'm wondering is was I really such an rear end in a top hat to justify that kind of brutal reaction. I think anyone who had their house almost burned down would be upset.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Biplane posted:

Big lol at people in the replies going "he just needs to step out of his shell to chase his dream" like that's the issue here.

Please do not put this man in charge of the lives of hundreds of people a day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Larry Cum Free posted:

I'm actually a level 80 Dragonborn and the head of the fighter's guild and mage's college and prefer to be addressed as such. :mad:

Lmao poo poo dude just be depressed that bad lots in early childhood have permanently crippled you like the rest of us

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m with you here, but if it makes you feel better he posted an hour ago that he sent all the info to the wife. Reddit also thinks that the husband and ex-girlfriend are loving on the side, as the brother likely used funds from his business to pay for the new apartment.

It does, thank you. I don't know if I buy the brother cheating with the ex-girlfriend, but it wouldn't be out of plausibility either. Sending it to the wife is the right play, just frustrating to see him not be able to fight back because....

Halloween Jack posted:

While I'd normally advocate that, it sounds like the poor bastard is already stuck in a position where he'll always be the bad guy because he's in recovery.
... stigma is in-fact a bitch and a half.

There's a reason a lot of people with severe, untreated personality disorders are infamous for working extra-hard at being socially normative and being extra-punitive to anyone who isn't.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

value-brand cereal posted:

Lotta almosts in that story

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Larry Cum Free posted:

You will address me by my Call Of Duty Ladder Rank!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol just casually laying down for a snooze while my soup
boils over and smokes. she should stick to takeout

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

captainOrbital posted:

Lotta almosts in that story

By the time you’re 25 you should know not to take a nap while something is on the stove. I would be incandescent too, house fires are absolutely not something to gently caress around with.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't tell you how many pans we went through because my ex-wife would start making mushrooms or eggs and then just wander off for a while.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't tell you how many pans we went through because my ex-wife would start making mushrooms or eggs and then just wander off for a while.

Remind me why you still aren't writing your memoirs again?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Larry Cum Free posted:

lol that was that dude's third attempt to get sympathy, too. He got laughed out of r/flying and r/shittyaskflying first.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Coca Koala posted:

I would be incandescent too,

Sure, that's how fires work

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah, this

is beating the poo poo out of someone no longer a thing? 'cuz i've seen dudes get laid out for less than that

Depends on the group of people, I imagine. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a serious physical fight between friends or acquaintances as an adult, and even if it was well justified the police would probably end up involved because that’s just what you do when there’s a fight as far as some people are concerned. And the person who threw the punch is probably hosed, the exceptions for “fighting words” are very narrow. On the other hand if the people in a peer group, including the person who got laid out, are more likely to accept that it was justified and move on without involving the authorities, well then that’s a viable option.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Op is totally right but if you are in a relationship with someone and you wake them up by yelling at them until they wake up, that is gonna harm the relationship. You can be as right as you want but that action is something that will not just be no big deal with most people

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah, the guy shouldn't have yelled as much, but gently caress you if you're putting poo poo on the stove and wandering off for a nap. burn your own goddamn house down

e: you could put a smoke detector right above the stove, like in the sims

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coca Koala posted:

By the time you’re 25 you should know not to take a nap while something is on the stove. I would be incandescent too, house fires are absolutely not something to gently caress around with.

I understand that he has trauma from his childhood home being near an area where there may have been forest fires or the danger thereof, but my kids have done similar stuff and we've had serious talks about it and it didn't happen more than once. My wife started a fake-bacon fire in the oven and ran into the living room to tell me about it. It happens sometimes and we've been lucky, but we always have extinguishers in the kitchen and everyone knows how to use them and where they are all times.

I've never treated my kids the way he treated his ex-girlfriend. It's 100% a serious thing, but he deserved to be ghosted.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

walking into a kitchen full of smoke and calmly nudging my wife awake, gently asking how she slept and if she was aware she left motherfucking food burning on the stove during naptime

harm the relationship? who gives a poo poo. she's a complete idiot

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah, the guy shouldn't have yelled as much, but gently caress you if you're putting poo poo on the stove and wandering off for a nap. burn your own goddamn house down

e: you could put a smoke detector right above the stove, like in the sims

Some fancy, high-end stoves even have a timer you can set for an amount of time that will not burn the house down and will make a loud noise to wake you from your customary pre-dinner nap!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd also be a bit concerned that it took a while of him yelling at her before she woke up. Seems like a smoke alarm wouldn't have done much either. That sounds way too familiar because my ex-wife was also an alcoholic.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Nothing in the story says she took a nap. She works full time and is in grad school on top of that. She went into the living room to study and 'at some point fell asleep'. He calls her scatterbrained and absent minded. Yeah, she might suck and purposefully went to sleep with stuff on the stove, but it honestly sounds like she's just completely loving worn down from grad school + full time work and nodded off from exhaustion while studying. This is still bad to do when the stove is on and the end result could be the same, but it's way different when it comes to the possible irresponsibility / idiocy / intent involved. That close call should have been a stark signal to both of them about how seriously she's overextended so she/they can readjust whatever is needed for her stay safe and remotely healthy while she's juggling so much, but dude is a massive rear end in a top hat for the way he reacted. I hope she gets some rest and better support elsewhere. Also that she learns to love the microwave until she graduates.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I thought the aside about the forest fires and such was a little weird. You don't need to justify to anyone that you don't want your house to burn down, that's, uh, allowed.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

captainOrbital posted:

I understand that he has trauma from his childhood home being near an area where there may have been forest fires or the danger thereof, but my kids have done similar stuff and we've had serious talks about it and it didn't happen more than once. My wife started a fake-bacon fire in the oven and ran into the living room to tell me about it. It happens sometimes and we've been lucky, but we always have extinguishers in the kitchen and everyone knows how to use them and where they are all times.

I've never treated my kids the way he treated his ex-girlfriend. It's 100% a serious thing, but he deserved to be ghosted.

He absolutely deserves to be ghosted, relationship isn’t coming back from that one. But she’s a 25 year old, not a child, and by the time you’re an adult you really need to have internalized some lessons like “don’t leave an open fire unattended”

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i cannot believe this complete rear end in a top hat who lost his poo poo over teensy weensy kitchen smoke. nothing like how i'd react: calm, sensitive, understanding. my footsteps wouldn't even make a sound

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cumpantry posted:

walking into a kitchen full of smoke and calmly nudging my wife awake, gently asking how she slept and if she was aware she left motherfucking food burning on the stove during naptime

harm the relationship? who gives a poo poo. she's a complete idiot

This is an extremely bad faith reading of my point, and is really lovely of you

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Dude's completely right don't gently caress around with fire. It's her choice to leave him and that's fine but you don't gently caress with fire!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I once swung by my parents' to pick up my dog after work since my dad was watching him and walked into the house and the place stank like the worst eggs I'd ever smelled. I asked my dad if the dog had the runs because it smelled closer to heinous old man dog farts. Dad shook his head and said "No, I was trying to make breakfast and YOUR DOG looked at me, so OF COURSE I had to take him out and burned the eggs."

He didn't appreciate how hard I laughed at him.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

A relationship between Smokey the Bear and Beavis was just doomed to fail from the start

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

she just did a little oopsie whoopsy by nearly burning the house down. i hope she gets some much needed rest and relaxation now that she is away from the very bad man

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

rotinaj posted:

This is an extremely bad faith reading of my point, and is really lovely of you

your point was a stupid "never do this, ever ever ever no matter what" reading about a situation involving a twenty five year old woman doing something twelve year olds are taught the opposite. not sure what's to be gained from it except trying to high ground the guy whose house almost crisped up and reacted more than understandably

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
My ex left pierogi on the skillet for too long and i got so mad i burned the house down

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cumpantry posted:

your point was a stupid "never do this, ever ever ever no matter what" reading about a situation involving a twenty five year old woman doing something twelve year olds are taught the opposite. not sure what's to be gained from it except trying to high ground the guy whose house almost crisped up and reacted more than understandably

My point was “the guy is shocked that his girlfriend isn’t jumping right back on his dick to restart their relationship”.

Dude was absolutely correct to be mad and to freak out, but he is having a hard time doing extremely basic relationship math

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Depends on the group of people, I imagine. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a serious physical fight between friends or acquaintances as an adult, and even if it was well justified the police would probably end up involved because that’s just what you do when there’s a fight as far as some people are concerned. And the person who threw the punch is probably hosed, the exceptions for “fighting words” are very narrow. On the other hand if the people in a peer group, including the person who got laid out, are more likely to accept that it was justified and move on without involving the authorities, well then that’s a viable option.

oh yeah, absolutely. in the peer group that i hung out in where rear end whippings occurred, no one ever saw a thing, not even the recipient. it just wasn't done

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
The moral of the story is that it only takes a small spark to set a fire you can’t put out and this dude decided to burn down his relationship instead of his house.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

rotinaj posted:

My point was “the guy is shocked that his girlfriend isn’t jumping right back on his dick to restart their relationship”.

Dude was absolutely correct to be mad and to freak out, but he is having a hard time doing extremely basic relationship math

oh. yeah, i'm sorry, that is what you were saying before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Would it change anyone's opinion if the girlfriend had logged thousands of hours on this and was more qualified than a firefighter?