Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I played it (Trickerion) once, without dark alleys, and honestly kinda despised it, top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

silvergoose posted:

I played it (Trickerion) once, without dark alleys, and honestly kinda despised it, top to bottom.

I clicked last page instead of next unread post and thought you were talking about Petz. I was very confused, especially coming from you.

I also completely skipped you listing the game you're talking about but it's 85 degrees and very sunny today.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I edited the title in when I realized it was a snipe, haha.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Finally got to try a Mindclash game. Played Trickerion last night.

A beautiful disaster. Strategy heavy with very limited tactical ways to fix a strategy gone awry.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Megasabin posted:

Anyone else have feelings on this game? I feel like it gets eclipsed by Anachrony and most of the discussion I see is about that game.

You basically said it. It's convoluted. I only played it once, and the core is reasonable, but there is some extra weird poo poo that should have been trimmed, like the weirdo diamond pattern matching game for preparing your tricks. What on earth is that even meant to represent? It's good, but super long and super complicated, such that I have trouble imagining ever bothering to play it over the somewhat similar but much simpler Colosseum.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like trickerion, but it’s weaker than anachrony and perseverance

Can’t wait to do witch poo poo in septima though

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm in the market for trying more solitaire-style games, so I purchased https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/305752/gate, it looks fun, but it will take about a month to get it.

I dig the classic dark fantasy art design in Gate. Nice vibe, never played the game though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No Roles Barred has basically cemented itself as one of the more enjoyable channels to watch

Just a really fun watch this week as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqhCzE_lb24

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Infinitum posted:

No Roles Barred has basically cemented itself as one of the more enjoyable channels to watch

Love the BBC, Brave Boys Club! Those last two rounds are :kiss:

I've been mainlining their Blood on the Clocktower videos to enjoy a game I'll never get to play myself with such a large group.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 2, 2023

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looks like it needs some major improvements

it's probably close to a decade too late to make Agricola jokes and have most people get them but this was excellent

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

Love the BBC, Brave Boys Club!

:yeah:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
the great board game reorganizing has begun in earnest

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zug zug

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's out of stock, the company suggested I get https://capstone-games.com/board-games/aleph-null/

This is the first time I'm hearing about it but I'm extremely interested

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

jivjov posted:

the great board game reorganizing has begun in earnest

Is this a Kallax shelf? I’ve been looking to finally get a dedicated game shelf recently, but I’m not sure that’s exactly right for me.

I’d love to get something that would keep the games out of sight, so I’ve been thinking about a couple of these: https://a.co/d/aYCcl6m

I’m mainly just worried they might look cheaper and uglier in person.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is this a Kallax shelf? I’ve been looking to finally get a dedicated game shelf recently, but I’m not sure that’s exactly right for me.

I’d love to get something that would keep the games out of sight, so I’ve been thinking about a couple of these: https://a.co/d/aYCcl6m

I’m mainly just worried they might look cheaper and uglier in person.

That poo poo is hideous. I’d just put them in a closet or something.

I’ve been looking for years to find a covered shelf that isn’t cheap/ugly as gently caress and have come up dry

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I just stack all my boxes over each other on the ground in several piles arranged like a table and setup my games on top of them. The games no one wants to play end up at the bottom of the stack, finding a new purpose as they support better, stronger games.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
i bought 2 of these while they were on sale. I don't like how Kallax's partition out into cubes, and i thought these looked better and were cheaper and are sturdy as all hell. The height between shelves are perfect too.

https://www.target.com/p/72-5-shelf-loring-ladder-bookshelf-project-62/-/A-52581576?preselect=51485181#lnk=sametab

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just got a Folded Space organizer for Brass:Birmingham and oh man was that a pain to put together. Glue everywhere. Never buying another foam board organizer again; Tower Rex CNC plywood for me from now on.

Their price point is great, like half that of CNC plywood, but I just was getting so frustrated trying to put little smears of glue on, then wiping off the beads that squeezed out as I held the pieces together to bond. Ugh. Think it's a me problem, not a Folded Space problem.

If I didn't have my woodworker's glue brush (which has a sort of thin palette knife on the opposite edge that I could use to get in nooks and crannies to scrape up the excess), it would have been a real mess.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

i bought 2 of these while they were on sale. I don't like how Kallax's partition out into cubes, and i thought these looked better and were cheaper and are sturdy as all hell. The height between shelves are perfect too.

https://www.target.com/p/72-5-shelf-loring-ladder-bookshelf-project-62/-/A-52581576?preselect=51485181#lnk=sametab

I am going to grab one of these, thanks!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I need something like that but a max of 54" high, due to vaulted ceilings. There's a knockoff kallax but it's 56" due to thick sides, which I can still use... I just have to saw an angle into one side of the wood...

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My wife and I recently committed to making Kallax size built-ins into one of our walls. Just a nice Kallax 7x12, with two 2x2 squares open and cupboards. Lot of games going on that shelf.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the Kallax is not the Perfect solution, but it's Good Enough for my purposes and anything was better than haphazard piles on creaky bookshelves -- at least this way I only have to move a maximum of 2-3 boxes to get to what I want

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Infinitum posted:

I think it was you who introduced me to them by sharing their Nemesis playthrough in an earlier post. I've really enjoyed watching them since and will second their Blood on the Clocktower vids. I had to sub to their patreon to get more.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Any thoughts on if it's worth getting Oathsworn if I already have Frosthaven? My group's preferred kind of game is co-op campaign games (biggest hits being Pandemic Legacy seasons and Jaws of the Lion), and what I've seen of Oathsworn looks promising.

e: FWIW I have no interest in minis

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 2, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

Any thoughts on if it's worth getting Oathsworn if I already have Frosthaven? My group's preferred kind of game is co-op campaign games (biggest hits being Pandemic Legacy seasons and Jaws of the Lion), and what I've seen of Oathsworn looks promising.

e: FWIW I have no interest in minis

It sounds like they’re rather different experiences, and if you don’t care about minis then the game isn’t so expensive especially if you can split the cost. I’d say it’s more a question of whether your group has the time to spare, than anything.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
the bamboozle is people looking at a game and going “that’s a lot of money”, when they should be going “that’s a lot of time”

The cost of these giant games is like $3/hr for the content, yet this thread alone is paved with the smoldering corpses of forgotten Gloomhaven campaigns and breathing the acrid dust of pandemic sticker sheets

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PRADA SLUT posted:

the bamboozle is people looking at a game and going “that’s a lot of money”, when they should be going “that’s a lot of time”

The cost of these giant games is like $3/hr for the content, yet this thread alone is paved with the smoldering corpses of forgotten Gloomhaven campaigns and breathing the acrid dust of pandemic sticker sheets

This and kickstarted MWEs that you play once if you're lucky before realising they're just fine and go back to shuffling trains and scheduling your quarterly game of Civ.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Little bit late to the party but Trickerion is my favourite Mindclash so far - Perseverance seemed far more "complexity for complexities' sake" and Anachrony was maybe too overhyped to me that it just landed very "meh".
Trickerion I wouldn't play it without Dark Alley, but have not tried it with any of the other expansions so can't comment on that.

That being said, Septima is fantastic from the TTS games I've had of it, and seems to be going down the much better path of NOT doing unnecessary complexity unlike the rest of Mindclash (and other "Heavy" designers like Lacerda)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Spiteski posted:

That being said, Septima is fantastic from the TTS games I've had of it, and seems to be going down the much better path of NOT doing unnecessary complexity unlike the rest of Mindclash (and other "Heavy" designers like Lacerda)

sweating in Voidfall rn

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Trickerion is basically Dungeon Lords but with the humor replaced with gorgeous aesthetics, which turns out to be an acceptable tradeoff.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

sweating in Voidfall rn

Yea I absolutely passed on that one. If there's one thing that Twilight Imperium/Eclipse does not need, is a heavy euro-ification

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

https://twitter.com/greygnomegames/status/1621287114674405380?s=46&t=NzIo9tylYP9A6CxY2E7y0g

Interesting timing on this as he had just announced a new tin series game, Dustrunner, 4 days ago.

Apparently all of the Grey Gnome games (Iron Helm, Tin Helm, Gate, etc.) have been pulled from The Game Crafter.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Got (sort of) tricked into playing Game of Ham. How the fuuuuck is a game like this still being made? For context, it's literally Cards Against Humanity except they added a bunch of bullshit to make it more competitive and also worse (adds a bunch of RNG but not really any strategy).

I mean the hilarious racism, poop, cum, and fetish jokes are really loving stupid and lovely onto themselves. But in what world does ANY canned humor still have punch? Here's my PUNCHLINE card (guaranteed hit) just gotta wait for the perfect set-up. Who loving does humor like this? Who thinks this is how humor works? If you took a brain scan of people who enjoy this poo poo you'd see the back of their skull.

Also it's so insanely obviously made by white people for white people. We played one game but there was a number of jokes about black people, Asian people, muslims. Zeroooo jokes about White people. How interesting! That's sooo interesting!

God and just the absurd ignorance on display. "Tricking a Muslim into eating pork" lmaoo soOoOo funny. Somehow "tricking a Christian into eating meat on a Lent Friday" didn't make the cut... must be because everyone knows it's as unfunny as it is inconsequential. In Islam if you accidentally eat some pork, it's not considered a sin! Wow, imagine that. Intention matters. Crazy world. Actually if you eat pork out of just plain curiosity or some other superficiality, it still barely rises to the level of sin. Sin is more about intentionally defying God, not being a normal person!

There's also "Tricking an Indian into eating beef" (might've been Hindu instead of Indian, but I doubt it!) which is somehow even stupider. It's not a SIN to eat beef as a Hindu, nor is it a tenet of Hinduism - in fact, many Hindus knowingly and willingly eat beef (in the East). Prohibitions against eating beef really arose in the 19th and 20th centuries and had more to do with castes and subjugation of Muslims.

Oh no one card was "Arguing the dichotomy of being racist versus saying racist things" ... maddening! There's no dichotomy, hope this helps.

Your friends who wanted to play this suck rear end op

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

https://twitter.com/greygnomegames/status/1621287114674405380?s=46&t=NzIo9tylYP9A6CxY2E7y0g

Interesting timing on this as he had just announced a new tin series game, Dustrunner, 4 days ago.

Apparently all of the Grey Gnome games (Iron Helm, Tin Helm, Gate, etc.) have been pulled from The Game Crafter.

There was print and play versions of the game available and now those are pulled too

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There was print and play versions of the game available and now those are pulled too

What a strange decision. They could have sold the properties for some cash. Iron Helm and Gate are well-liked in the solo community.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

fr0id posted:

Your friends who wanted to play this suck rear end op

One person wanted to play it and it didn't even make sense cause she was too uncomfortable to play most of her hand? Everyone seemed pretty uncomfortable but being polite about her tabling a new game. She was the only one who'd played it previously (out of 5, including me) and said it was "like Cards Against Humanity" by which I naively hoped she meant "Apples to Apples" so I didn't push back. I really doubt it'll come out again even though no one came out and said "I hate this poo poo" but walking away if it does is super easy. It's a BGN at a local store so these aren't personal or longtime friends in any case

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 3, 2023

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So I've just received 2 copies of Frosthaven.

However I definitely only ordered one, and one has come from Germany whereas the other came from my normal distribution route (Aetherworks) - I live in Western Australia for the record.

I've already unpacked the one delivered to me via the normal route, and I feel like sending the other back would just cost them more money, especially if it ends up going back to Germany.

What would you do, goons? Return it or redistribute it?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

bobvonunheil posted:

So I've just received 2 copies of Frosthaven.

However I definitely only ordered one, and one has come from Germany whereas the other came from my normal distribution route (Aetherworks) - I live in Western Australia for the record.

I've already unpacked the one delivered to me via the normal route, and I feel like sending the other back would just cost them more money, especially if it ends up going back to Germany.

What would you do, goons? Return it or redistribute it?

You have legal obligations about unsolicited mailed and incorrect deliveries because you live in Australia. You should probably follow those, otherwise you are liable for the cost of both copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/buying-products-and-services/receiving-unrequested-products-or-services is probably a good place to start with regards to what you can or cannot do with that unrequested second copy.