Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

How do you choose between C2 and G2?

if you want the 5 year warranty, for the screen to be a bit brighter due to active cooling, have the cash to drop on it and don't mind buying a stand separately (if you're not wall mounting it), go for the G2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Vintersorg posted:

How do you choose between C2 and G2?

G2 was just slightly more than I wanted to spend on a TV, that was really the only basis for my decision. And also the primary advantage of the G2 over the C2 seemed to be a brighter screen and I was happy with the numbers for the C2 as is in the rtings.com review.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How many zeroes you have in your checking account, mostly

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

How many zeroes you have in your checking account, mostly

And if you are considering G2 maybe upgrade to Sony QD-OLED

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MikusR posted:

And if you are considering G2 maybe upgrade to Sony QD-OLED

I wouldn't go that far. 65" Sony is currently $3k on Amazon vs $2k for the 65" G2.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Maybe this is because I've only had budget oriented tvs before but the LG C2s upscaling of 1080p content is outstanding. If I didn't know better it looks very close to 4K to the eye.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What’s the best way to move a 77” C1? Unfortunately I don’t have the original box anymore. Uline box with a gently caress load of padding?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

George H.W. oval office posted:

What’s the best way to move a 77” C1? Unfortunately I don’t have the original box anymore. Uline box with a gently caress load of padding?

Sell it with the place your moving from and buy a new TV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Whatever you do don't give those election denying Uline fucks money.

https://www.propublica.org/article/uline-uihlein-election-denial

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Whatever you do don't give those election denying Uline fucks money.

https://www.propublica.org/article/uline-uihlein-election-denial

lol jesus even boxes????

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Cancel boxes and shelves.
There is a new scandal every week.

I just learned about that a few weeks ago myself.
I don't use Uline for anything and I'll avoid doing so in the future. It's worse than election deny, but they are mostly just really out of touch, beyond even the farthest of the right.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If you dig deep enough into any company there's a coin-flip chance you'll find someone like that. It's like our old pal said:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 30, 2023

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

reposting because the ask questions hardware thread moves slowly and this is PC/TV related:

forest spirit posted:

Nvidia is not supporting local gamestream anymore and moonlight will eventually stop working, so I might as well prepare and go hardwired.

My plan is to get an optical 48gbps hdmi cable and run it from my 3080 to the TV. A cable 50ft long will let me run it through the attic and into my TV without any of it exposed.

I would be disabling and enabling the TV when I plan on using it. Is this the best option? Does anyone else use optical from PC to another display in other rooms? I've heard of thunderbolt optical runs but that's usually for creating a client, I'm just trying to use my TV as a monitor for gaming to get HDR and shiz.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I did exactly that at my last apartment, except with a 33 foot cable instead of 50, and will be going back to doing it when I move in to my new house in a few weeks. I have DisplayFusion set up to easily toggle the TV output and that's it. Works great.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That's exactly what I was looking for, so much.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
FWIW I used the Cable Matters one and it supports every single feature when connecting my 3070 to my LG CX. 4K 120Hz, HDR, VRR, etc. A few other goons have also had good luck with it in similar situations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

forest spirit posted:

reposting because the ask questions hardware thread moves slowly and this is PC/TV related:

Just be aware that hdmi cables at longer lengths are known to be iffy in terms of signal quality. You might get lucky and not have any issues, but if you do (like the signal dropping out randomly), just know it might be the cable causing it.

I think if you want to do HDMI 2.1 at longer lengths you should look into HDMI cables that are designated "Active Optical Cable".

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 31, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Has anyone got one of the new Samsung OLEDs? Rtings rate them higher for gaming than the C2 now, and the Samsungs are the same price, or often even cheaper. The tldr I've been seeing is basically that the OS is obnoxious, but the picture quality and brightness are incredible.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I am finally getting to the stage of adulthood where I'm thinking of getting a TV instead of using an iPad or computer screen. However, the last TV I had was a crt, so I have no idea about anything. It will be placed in my basement, so super high light levels are not required, and I'm not looking to spend a fortune anyway. I do know that I want to use Netflix and and stuff, probably a console, and maybe some casting from a phone. But I guess that's all pretty standard features.
I also want something with a reasonably minimal OS, which at the least means no ads and no weird interruptions, and also preferably not too much software loving up.
Are there any brands or types I should be weary of right off the bat? I feel like I've heard bad things about Samsung's OS, but I'm trying to be a bit more thorough than something I maybe heard.

I'm probably just gonna buy something that's on sale at some point, so I mostly want to avoid pitfalls rather than get specific recommendations. I'm also in Denmark if that means anything

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

Has anyone got one of the new Samsung OLEDs? Rtings rate them higher for gaming than the C2 now, and the Samsungs are the same price, or often even cheaper. The tldr I've been seeing is basically that the OS is obnoxious, but the picture quality and brightness are incredible.

They're going to be less accurate out of the box and the screen might have actually bent inside the box... there's apparently a bunch of qc issues with them since Samsung views them as a mid-range tv. So if you get a perfect set you're going to get something that rivals the G2 in picture quality but if you don't want to deal with panel or shipping lottery just get the C2. Also, it doesn't do Dolby Vision if you care about that.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BonHair posted:

I am finally getting to the stage of adulthood where I'm thinking of getting a TV instead of using an iPad or computer screen. However, the last TV I had was a crt, so I have no idea about anything. It will be placed in my basement, so super high light levels are not required, and I'm not looking to spend a fortune anyway. I do know that I want to use Netflix and and stuff, probably a console, and maybe some casting from a phone. But I guess that's all pretty standard features.
I also want something with a reasonably minimal OS, which at the least means no ads and no weird interruptions, and also preferably not too much software loving up.
Are there any brands or types I should be weary of right off the bat? I feel like I've heard bad things about Samsung's OS, but I'm trying to be a bit more thorough than something I maybe heard.

I'm probably just gonna buy something that's on sale at some point, so I mostly want to avoid pitfalls rather than get specific recommendations. I'm also in Denmark if that means anything

OS is crap on all of them. Good thing is that on all of them Netflix is just a button on a remote and other interactions is just changing input. The ones with Android have Chromecast built in. Samsung, Sony and LG have Airplay. To all of them you can plug inhttps://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-US

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Animale posted:

They're going to be less accurate out of the box and the screen might have actually bent inside the box... there's apparently a bunch of qc issues with them since Samsung views them as a mid-range tv. So if you get a perfect set you're going to get something that rivals the G2 in picture quality but if you don't want to deal with panel or shipping lottery just get the C2. Also, it doesn't do Dolby Vision if you care about that.

And not to mention the being better in gaming is like a 9.0 vs a 9.2 or so so it's not like some defining difference. I can tell you if you get a C2 you will be very very happy with it's gaming performance.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, since it looks like dumb TVs are harder and harder to find, is there any pain-in-the-balls OS I should particularly be avoiding? I'm looking at something in the 55-65" range, primarily for Plex, maybe a little streaming, but I've also got a Switch I wouldn't mind playing on a bigger screen. I'm reasonably invested in both Google and Amazon's ecosystems so Fire/Google TV wouldn't be a terrible thing (unless they're just terrible, I'm a babe in the woods here, I haven't bought a TV since the loving 1990s). I'd really like to keep it sub-$700 if at all possible.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a TCL Roku TV from 2018, and it's fine. By the standards of most TV OSes its probably fantastic. My only gripes with it are that apps tend to lag a bit here and there. Especially Peacock, that lags a lot. The Nvidia shield seems generally better, but I don't know if that's because Android TV apps get more effort than Roku apps, or if it's because of the hardware

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

So, since it looks like dumb TVs are harder and harder to find, is there any pain-in-the-balls OS I should particularly be avoiding?

Samsung, Vizio, and LG.

I mean, it won't KILL you to use them, but Android and Roku are pretty deece by comparison. Apple TV too, if you're into that. Android Police like the nvidia Shield TV box. Not sure about Fire TV, cause I don't care about the Alexa ecosystem

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shield is getting really rough and I can't really recommend it unless you are using it for a very specific use case that it works well for. AppleTV is the best performing and most versatile of the bunch, but it's also buggy as poo poo which can get annoying at times. Roku is still pretty solid even if they have a pretty dated interface.

WebOS on LG is fine if you aren't planning on connecting the TV to the internet and use an external box. You just select input and go. Samsung seems to be the ones cramming poo poo down your throat even if you disconnect from the internet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's rough about the Shield? Was thinking of using it to replace my Fire stick.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GreenNight posted:

What's rough about the Shield? Was thinking of using it to replace my Fire stick.

I think the Tegra X1 SoC is around eight years old now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I legit love the LG OS esp with the motion control remote. It's fast and just works. I use Plex, Disney+, Netflix, and Prime on my tv.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have zero persistent bugs with my Apple TV but don't worry I'm sure bull3964 has a super compelling corner case to use as an anecdote of how lovely it is. The previous 4k model is really cheap now [hell, I'll sell you mine] and unless you need to sideload emulators or have a personal problem with Apple it's the current best choice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the shield it's just not very performant.

Like, Peacock is basically unusable on it (at least for 4k HDR streams). It takes about 20 seconds to start a stream, if it even manages to at all, and it's constantly dropping frames.

It's great for doing things like Kodi connected to a NAS share to play files, but it has issues running some of the streaming apps very well nowadays.

I mean, on paper it shouldn't be performing worst than a Chromecast with GoogleTV. Even though the A57 cores are from 2012 and the A55 in the CC are from 2017, the A57 should have more grunt, but something else is letting it down.

I dunno, maybe I need to factory reset mine or something, but I've been avoiding using it.

I still would love to use just one device, but unfortunately no single device has the best experience across all services.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 2, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AppleTV doesn't support bitstream audio yet does it? No Dolby TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X without bitstream afaik.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

qirex posted:

I have zero persistent bugs with my Apple TV but don't worry I'm sure bull3964 has a super compelling corner case to use as an anecdote of how lovely it is. The previous 4k model is really cheap now [hell, I'll sell you mine] and unless you need to sideload emulators or have a personal problem with Apple it's the current best choice.

It's pretty well documented that they have been plagued with Atmos issues with their own AppleTV content. I haven't seen it pop up in awhile, but I was having constant drops watching Severance. I know I was also having an issue getting a full bandwidth stream from AppleTV content after watching YouTubeTV. I would have to swipe away all running apps and reboot the device to get back to a 4k stream.

Amazon prime stuff doesn't always feel like dropping back to the interface after a program stops.

Watch Now just completely disappears every once and awhile and requires logging out of my Apple Account and back in to resolve.

This one is more on the app developers, but it seems as though if app makers don't use the standard playback controls, things are extra lovely when scrubbing the timeline if you can even do it at all.

To be fair it's the device I use most often so it's going to show the bugs most, but it isn't always a "just works" experience.

Enos Cabell posted:

AppleTV doesn't support bitstream audio yet does it? No Dolby TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X without bitstream afaik.

It has Atmos via Dolby Mat 2.0 which allows Atmos object data to be conveyed to an AVR over LPCM.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 2, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Protip: someone buying a $700 TV probably doesn't care about Dolby Atmos. What you're comparing is a platform where some stuff has problems some of the time to ones where all the apps have problems [bad responsiveness, glacial update schedule, etc.] 100% of the time. Unless you're dropping 20 grand on a Kalidescape setup it's the best available streaming box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And I said it was the best performing and most versatile but I think you are overstating the performance difference between something like this and a $50 Roku for the average person. I have both that I use side by side and there really isn't that noticeable of a difference for most stuff. The main reason why I use the AppleTV for most of my streaming is I can set match framerate and match dynamic range and largely forget it and those are also features that most average people aren't going to care about.

I would also argue that someone with a cheaper display isn't going to want to spend a minimum of $130 on a streaming device either.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I mean, on paper it shouldn't be performing worst than a Chromecast with GoogleTV. Even though the A57 cores are from 2012 and the A55 in the CC are from 2017, the A57 should have more grunt, but something else is letting it down.

Lack of ram maybe? The thing comes with only 3gb ram as standard. Capcom had to fight to convince Nintendo to up it to four.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

A Roku Ultra is $80

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I legit love the LG OS esp with the motion control remote. It's fast and just works. I use Plex, Disney+, Netflix, and Prime on my tv.

I hate that motion thing on the remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Spergin Morlock posted:

A Roku Ultra is $80

Yeah, but the only reason to buy the Ultra is Ethernet or bluetooth audio. Otherwise the regular 4k Stick provides the same streaming experience. You can go even cheaper if you don't need dolby vision by going with the Express 4k+ or even the base Express 4k for $35.

I've been using an Express 4k on my bedroomTV for years without issues.