Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

People use leverage for more money, so yes.

He was already offered a contract that made him the highest paid dc in the league before all this though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Genuinely surprised he signed

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CubanMissile posted:

Genuinely surprised he signed

Was just about to post this.

I assume San Fran didn't want to offer the same money, but he must've made enough over his career surely?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Vic is an all-time great DC but he hasn’t had a top 10 defense since the Niners years. That’s not a surprise.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pauline is a rube and would will report any rumor he hears but now we know Douglas is galaxy braining the Raiders into giving him Carr on the cheap to preemptively remove the Jets from the Rodgers conversation.

Just give me a QB already so I can move on with my life.

TBF Pauline was also the first one to report that Macc was on the hot seat and that the Jets were dead set on hiring Douglas. So he gets things right like 2% of the time.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Vic is an all-time great DC but he hasn’t had a top 10 defense since the Niners years. That’s not a surprise.

We’ll take anything

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Two all time greats (Rodgers and Fangio) coming to the AFCE only to turn into shells of their former selves sounds about right to me

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Professor Funk posted:

Two all time greats (Rodgers and Fangio) coming to the AFCE only to turn into shells of their former selves sounds about right to me

This is the Dolphins so it's hard to disagree, but I think even just the advantage of having him lure cheap defensive free agents is enough benefit

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Oh I’m mostly joking. Fangio is a cool hire and you guys should be excited.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Josh Allen career vs Miami:

8-2 64% 2,684 yards 25TD 5 INTS Rushing 554 yards 4 TDs

so as long as he can better against not elite super human QBs, its still an upgrade.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Vic is an all-time great DC but he hasn’t had a top 10 defense since the Niners years.

didn’t he have a top 5 defense his last season in Denver?

e: I’m always confused that defense rankings are done by raw yards rather than points or y/p. that defense was 3rd by points, 8 by yards

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This was from Barnwell's article where he inexplicably ranked the Jets 7th in most QB needy teams.

quote:

Jets fans are demanding, but they're also starved for good quarterback play. The last time a Jets quarterback posted back-to-back seasons with at least 10 starts and an era-adjusted yards per attempt mark greater than the league-average was Ken O'Brien in 1985 and 1986. The hope was that Wilson could be that savior, but the team understandably has soured on its overmatched young passer. Even if Rodgers wasn't around for a long time, two above-average seasons from the future Hall of Famer would be something fans haven't enjoyed in nearly 40 years.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1621214636581216259?t=K7i_AZwmo1MtZu5XUjPqiw&s=19

I don't get this, I thought the line was okay in difficult circumstances

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

indigi posted:

didn’t he have a top 5 defense his last season in Denver?

e: I’m always confused that defense rankings are done by raw yards rather than points or y/p. that defense was 3rd by points, 8 by yards
They were 20th by defensive DVOA. I hate to drop Schatz in here but since I was just going to go through them anyways. I was wrong btw, he had a great defense with the Bears.

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1621181281093521411

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Professor Funk posted:

Oh I’m mostly joking. Fangio is a cool hire and you guys should be excited.

It was a good jab.

Hopefully it works and Miami can go to the playoffs again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This was from Barnwell's article where he inexplicably ranked the Jets 7th in most QB needy teams.

As in 6 teams need QBs more than the Jets do?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
you've got the #2 overall draft pick, let that guy develop for a few more years

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Maybe the argument is that the rest of the Jets roster is good enough that they don’t “need” a QB to be competitive? Otherwise it makes no sense.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

Maybe the argument is that the rest of the Jets roster is good enough that they don’t “need” a QB to be competitive?

They did almost make playoffs with the undisputed worst QB room in the league, so that's fair I guess

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Diva Cupcake posted:

They were 20th by defensive DVOA. I hate to drop Schatz in here but since I was just going to go through them anyways. I was wrong btw, he had a great defense with the Bears.

I totally agree that adding a great DC, even if you believe Fangio is the best current DC, doesn't guarantee Miami a top ten defense

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

tarbrush posted:

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1621214636581216259?t=K7i_AZwmo1MtZu5XUjPqiw&s=19

Wasn't there that video after another oline penalty of McDaniel yelling at the Oline coach "get that poo poo fixed"?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Diva Cupcake posted:

aaron schatz can eat my farts

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Miami is guaranteed a top 10 defense

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Don’t value obnoxious rear end in a top hat

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

syzpid posted:

Wasn't there that video after another oline penalty of McDaniel yelling at the Oline coach "get that poo poo fixed"?

That was him yelling at Boyer (former DC) I think

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

2018 was the year they got Khalil Mack though. Was that a top defense still or middle of the road without him?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

stuker posted:

That was him yelling at Boyer (former DC) I think

Your right, I found the clip now that I'm at home. Whenever I hear offsides for some reason I always assume it's the offense. The article I found said there were a total of 300 yards of defensive penalties in that game and 3 previous, so makes sense.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I don't know why you'd go with anything other than points allowed for overall defensive rankings. It's an imperfect starting point and you need to look at who they played, but still it's very simple you don't need a goofy composite metric for this.

tarbrush posted:

You also had four offensive line coaches on your coaching staff so who knows

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 2, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
True.

Having finally read a bit about Fangio I'm curious as to whether playing a zone heavy scheme will give X an extra lease of life or hasten him to the garbage can.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sauce is the best.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1621309241523937281?s=46&t=1aiLjAxeCiFGmiKSUBYNxw

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
You looking for a third down conversion? X gonna give it to ya.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

tarbrush posted:

True.

Having finally read a bit about Fangio I'm curious as to whether playing a zone heavy scheme will give X an extra lease of life or hasten him to the garbage can.

It depends what Howard's 2022 problem was. If he's cooked, he's cooked, the scheme isn't going to save him. This isn't a bunch of cover-2/tampa-2 where you've got the safeties relieving vertical stress and you're just camping out underneath and an old savvy corner is going to clean up doing it. Fangio runs a bunch of cover-3/quarters which is basically man coverage you pass off in-breaking routes on as far as the corner is concerned. Quarters can play like cover-0 if you've got the right route combination against it tbh.

That said, I don't think Howard is cooked quite yet, but passing off those in-breaking routes might be a pretty big deal for him at this point in his career. At his absolute best he would still sometimes get clowned on in-breaking routes, with the groin injury his margin for error was basically zero and he got clowned. If you're helping him out there pretty consistently and giving him some opportunities in the ball due to much better coverage disguising you might have a renaissance, but I think the issue is you shouldn't have signed him to the contract he got where he's basically on the roster for '23 and '24 with his age and injury history.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

People actually watch this?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1621488117701115905

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Sure. Not my money, and I'm not sure how likely he is to get another head coaching shot

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

People actually watch this?
Yes. Watching a water balloon toss with Quinnen Williams was more preferable than Wheel of Fortune during the 7pm hour.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Greater than 50% chance that Fangio is there longer than McDaniel right?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

mcmagic posted:

Doubt it. I think either Tua is a long term concussion victim and McDaniel gets to choose another QB, or Tua stays healthy and the Dolphins are "win some playoff games" good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Would he stick around if McDaniel's fired? Not sure.